• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
AFAIK the Zirid dynasty weren't even Qurayshis, how did they become Sayids, why? Unless you guys meant the Hammudid dynasty members, some do not have the Sayyid trait.

After devoting all of Monday to my AEIOU run, I can't bring myself to start a new game just to get the death events. Seems like that would make the run harder anyway. At least the point of interests are working for travel.

I ended up starting a new run anyway because I didn’t get a death screen when my character died, and so I didn’t want any more bugs to happen later on. I was in a precarious situation with my eldest being matrimarried anyway.

In my new run, Count Otto (first character’s son) was kind of a little brat, 1-star intrigue education, and four bastards with an unmarried soulmate picked up on his homage trip early in reign. I tried to do scheme stuff but wasn’t having any luck (aside from murdering my wife so I could marry the lowborn soulmate I’d already had four kids with). So I decided to heel turn and focus on piety. Went down the right side of the spiritual perks tree to get booste clergy opinion, had a nice and fully fledged pilgrimage to Rome where I simultaneously paid indulgences to get rid of my fornication trait. After getting back home, suddenly Pope Innocentius II was approaching 50+ opinion and was willing to grant me claims on the Austrian duchy and some counties (after successfully murdering the father-son Ekbrechts that had inherited it after the original babenberg rebelled for some reason.*
By this time I’m about 62 years old and reveling in my character’s life’s turnabout from crappy spy to repentant paragon. Along the way I got close to getting one of my post-marriage legitimate sons betrothed to the girl ruler of Austria, but they both died young. So I was left with two bastard boys in their 20s, one of whom was a monk. I legitimized the other one, named Ruprecht (much worse stats than Peter the monk…ugh.).
It was also during this time after getting the claims that I kitted out Otto’s health, all the way to Whole of Body. Then I get the death event: no warning, just a 20% chance to hold on to the window frame as I lean out the window early in the morning. Of course it fails. I really thought I had another 10 years with the guy!! Now I’m playing as that legitimized 30 year old bastard with bad stats and no kids. Precarious—I love it! At least the papal claims were strong enough to pass down to Ruprecht. Death events at “default” level. I don’t think Werner’s death—Otto’s father the first player character—was affected by an event. He died at 55 of heart failure and wasn’t kitted out in health.

*something I’m noticing more often is Tyranny wars with OPMs declaring against the Kaiser and losing easily since they don’t even have 1000 soldiers. Something seems off there. Happened about 3 times in the HRE in about 50 years. Like they’re giving the ultimatum despite having no other factionists.

• 1Love
Reactions:
*something I’m noticing more often is Tyranny wars with OPMs declaring against the Kaiser and losing easily since they don’t even have 1000 soldiers. Something seems off there. Happened about 3 times in the HRE in about 50 years. Like they’re giving the ultimatum despite having no other factionists.
Tyranny wars aren't due to factions, they are when the liege tries to revoke a title and the vassal refuses. In this case, the liege is presumably revoking titles from an OPM and they are refusing, thus triggering the tyranny war.

• 2Like
Reactions:
aeiou run cont'd
Here's Peter the monk regent. Sure wish he could have done something with all that prestige!
nSPxiaI.jpg

Ruprecht died at 40 with no heirs, so I inherited as one of Otto's legitimate daughters, 20 years younger than Peter. She will be the last Habsburg ruler; as AI she married patrilineally to the count of Furstenburg and had a son with him. By the time I inherited as her, her first husband had died and she was already married again patrilineally, but thankfully to a Zahringen. Her first son eventually inherited the county of Furstenburg but later had it revoked. After that happened, I invited him to my court, excommunicated him, and imprisoned him in the dungeon till he expired (after two torture sessions) so that he wouldn't get the counties in Augsburg I had usurped.

Something really irritating about this run so far is, after becoming best friends with the Kaiser, he would grant me duchy titles like Austria and Istria after getting their claims through the papacy, but they would self-destruct/go dormant because he wasn't transferring the count vassals to me. I really hope it's a personality thing and not a bug because I was getting vassals transferred to me earlier in the game under a different kaiser, and in fact this Kaiser did transfer vassals to me when he granted me Tyrol. He just wouldn't do it for Austria for some reason. I really wish you could select which title you want the Kaiser to transfer to you, or else some way to divest yourself from claims, that way I won't have to wait two generations for these duchy titles to expire so that I can just get papal claims on the counties and create the duchy myself later.

edit: Gah! The new Kaiser lost an independence war to Tuscany and his CA dropped all the way to 1. How can I see how long it'll take for him to be able to raise it again so I can request transfers? (I'm glad his dead father, my former best friend, when he asked me to kill him while he was sick, I instead opted to just stay by his side and he lived another 15 years or so!)

Last edited:
Something really irritating about this run so far is, after becoming best friends with the Kaiser, he would grant me duchy titles like Austria and Istria after getting their claims through the papacy, but they would self-destruct/go dormant because he wasn't transferring the count vassals to me. I really hope it's a personality thing and not a bug because I was getting vassals transferred to me earlier in the game under a different kaiser, and in fact this Kaiser did transfer vassals to me when he granted me Tyrol. He just wouldn't do it for Austria for some reason.
That happened to me too, I got the duchy but none of the counties and just lost the duchy soon after. I assumed it was just designed that way so I just gave up on that after one try and got the land for the achievement the classic way of marriage and lots of murder (which was my Plan A anyway but I had stumbled upon a claim).

Ended up stopping my AEIOU run just now in the 1270s because I became king of Lotharingia--because the duchy of Austria had been recreated and somehow ended up its vassal--gave in to a faction war*, and now even if I get all the territory, I won't be able to form the archduchy unless I somehow become independent. Why is becoming independent of a king-vassal a difficult, irritating, and worst of all, gamey task? Because...

• Can't do dissolution factions on non-independent rulers, even king-vassals
  • Can't do independence factions on non-independent rulers, even king-vassals
    • In fact factions likely would have counted as offensive wars, ruining the achievement requirement.
  • No option in Petition Liege list for transfer to their own liege (i.e. king of Lotharingia gives me up to the Kaiser), nor is there a way in the game to petition your liege's liege for immediacy with them
  • *did this right away because you can't form the archduchy if you're a king, and you can't dissolve your primary title anyway (nor via faction; see first bullet point)
My best option would have been, regain the kingdom title, switch its succession to elective, and try to either get the Kaiser elected or maybe a foreign independent king (because I don't think getting some other duke elected would have solved the situation of my being Lotharingia's new permanent vassal). Way, way too gamey of a solution and not even likely to work.

In the early 1200s, I had my first taste of entrenched regency. I was having fun swinging the scales to try to get to level 4 so I could retract one of my liege's vassal's vassals--that is, the King of Lotharingia's Duke of Austria--but right around when I got there, a huge vassal-run claim war and a Lombardian independence war started that I couldn't beat back. Kinda sorta my own fault for not placating fellow vassals or getting alliances outside of the realm (or even inside it with faction members, although I'm not sure that would have even worked since I wasn't literally the emperor target of the faction), but man it sucked to have to sit through 3-5 years of wars I knew I was gonna lose and thus lose my chance to get the duchy of Austria without having to deal with Lotharingian ownership of it...

Lessons learned:
  • do NOT claim duchy titles. Just claim the counties. Apparently there's no guarantee that vassal transfers will take place, especially if you don't already own your own county within the duchy yet.
  • Do not lose immediacy with the emperor.
I spent a LOT of time waiting 5 years between petitions to get duchies I didn't even want anymore but couldn't get rid of. Especially since Duchess Frida lived to 81--lot of time staring at her strong duchy claims she couldn't renounce, knowing I'd have to work through them to get the Kaiser to move on to my lesser county claims. Of course she died before I even got through the duchy claims.

I think mechanically speaking, the bare minimum I would like to see is either a way to renounce claims, or a way to choose the claim you're petitioning to the liege to grant you.

I can see you guys have river in your screenshots... why is mine missing? There's no mod, and I've verified game files. Any idea what's going on?
Never mind, after going through every measure, even uninstalling and reinstalling the game entirely, I found the culprit being a graphic setting; somehow, the refraction is disabled in my setting. Certified bruh moment.

Reactions:
I think the entire harm events is a bit bugged, I had the game rule set to safe but characters are dying all over the place because of Poisoned Plants this is a bit over the top guys, I mean sure that It can happen evey now and then yeah but 16 of my family members dead because of it is a bit too much and even the question why because I set it at safe so they shouldnt die to begin with.

Poison plant death was not part of the death events update but rather part of the travel system. Personally I've only seen it happen to my family members about twice, maytbe three times in 200 years.

Reactions:
That happened to me too, I got the duchy but none of the counties and just lost the duchy soon after. I assumed it was just designed that way so I just gave up on that after one try and got the land for the achievement the classic way of marriage and lots of murder (which was my Plan A anyway but I had stumbled upon a claim).

That happened to me as well. In my case it was because the previous holder of the title had another duchy and was thus still a duke and kept the count-tier vassals so there was nothing to transfer. After that first one, I started making sure that the current duke only had the one duchy title (by waiting for them to have enough heirs for partition to do its thing and then assassinating them).

I just declared an end to my AEIOU & Me run last night after also getting Imperial March, The Grandest Tour, and The Iron and Golden King. The HRE was quite strong in my run and had actually already been expanding, so I took it over, expanded a bit further to get The Grandest Tour, and used the Göttingen mine in the Duchy of Thuringia to get The Iron and Golden King.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Poison plant death was not part of the death events update but rather part of the travel system. Personally I've only seen it happen to my family members about twice, maytbe three times in 200 years.
Ok well in my family it happened a lot , and I see it happen to other AI families too. 1 Dynasty even completely died out all because of the poisened plant. it definitely needs to get looked at

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not sure how it happened, but it did... I'm asking myself for tribute on grand tour lmao
View attachment 993327
And I got to choose! Lol
View attachment 993329
These things happen all the time. A spymaster accusing himself of scheming to murder me, a wife cheating on her husband with himself, parents asking for a guardian for an orphan who is really their child...

Characters involved in the Iberian Struggle are now allowed to take the Hostility Ending if they completely control Iberia, and their primary title is at least a Kingdom they held for 5 years or more. This can be done regardless of the current phase.
This is legitimately great and i don't know why people sleep on this.

95% of the time i would have to take the other end of the struggle decision. Conquering Iberia is relatively simple but require all Kingdom to be of your primary culture?(especially if they start absorbing from other secondary kingdom title) and must be in hostility phase which guess what you cannot realisticly do once you unite all Iberia? It's just too harsh and take too long that i just want to end the struggle.

Now the way is clear. No culture requirement or restricted to hostility phase. Just unite all Iberia.

Reactions: