• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Guess 1-The Cold, Dark, reaches of Outer Space.
Guess 2-To a Tropical island resort! Call now and get a free gift package!
Guess 3-Back to the future!

/off sarcasm :D
Great update by the way!

OPERATION ATOCHA - Rabat–Salé
0830, March 19, 2004

battleofrabat.jpg

Rabat burned.

The ancient city had endured three days of brutal urban warfare. Plumes of thick black smoke rose from burning buildings, darkening the sky and filling the air with the smells of burning flesh and metal. Once proud historical buildings were now ruins, once bright streets were now covered in brick dust and the charred remains of Moroccan T-72 tanks.

It was supposed to be a cakewalk. While the main European forces tied down the Moroccan Army, his force was supposed to walk into (sneak in, more like) Rabat and force a peace. Too quickly the Moroccan government managed to get most of their army back into Rabat, with the European forces nipping at their heels.

General Goesbriand, commander of Battlegroup 2 (Airborne), watched the battle unfold from the bridge of the amphibious assault ship FS Dien Bien Phu. His sharp eyes surveyed the combat zone presented on the screens as his mind calculated possible enemy moves and countermoves. Through an earpiece he could hear the shouts and screams of his Air Cav troops.

rabat.png

"We have NH90 Nebuchadnezzar down, repeat we have a Neb down." a voice on his earpiece screeched.

He closed his eyes, allowing the sea breeze to cover his face as he listened to troops on the ground.

"This is Cobra, we've taken the Hassan II Bridge!"

“Heavy Moroccan assault at the airport! We can take them!”

“We’re chopping a team of Tiger gunships to the airport.”

Heerestruppen and Livgardet have taken Sale!”

“All available troops rendezvous on the Hassan II bridge. Prepare to assault Rabat.”

"This is Blackjack, I have eyes on Moroccan forces, they're falling back to the Kasbah. Awaiting orders, sir."

He opened his eyes and pressed down on his earpiece.

"All available units regroup at the bridge and prepare to assault the Kasbah, marked Delta."

Palace_gate.jpg

Kasbah of the Udayas, last stand of His Majesty’s Royal Moroccan Army

It was the last pocket of Moroccan resistance in Rabat. With word from Casablanca indicating that they've taken the city and have swept south through the Moroccan Sahara, this was it. The last stand of the Moroccan armed forces.

"Sir, Blackjack has eyes on white flags at the Kasbah." his executive officer reported, his accent thick Dutch and emotionless. His brown eyes widen as more chatter comes through his headset. "Confirmed reports of Moroccan forces surrendering."

"Sir, Brawler has reported that they've taken the royal residence including the King of Morocco!" he says, letting a rare smile cross his face.

"Notify Brawler to secure the King and take him here, as soon as possible. All units, Moroccan forces have surrendered, cease combat operations immediately and move to secure prisoners."

A wave of cheers and victory shouts rang through the earpiece. Goesbriand couldn't help but grin as he listened to the cheering and relieved laughter.

Walking over to his console, he keys in a command to take control of comms. He could hear spontaneous singing as his order to play the Ode to Joy seems to have taken effect. The battle was won.

endbattleofrabat.png

The music really sets the mood, though I would prefer if it was placed at the beginning of the update, instead of the middle-end.

The music really sets the mood, though I would prefer if it was placed at the beginning of the update, instead of the middle-end.

Noted, thanks mate!

EUROPA CABLE NEWS - EUROPA DAY SPECIAL COVERAGE
May 9, 2004

The introductory sequence of Europa Cable News begins with images of European cities flashing across the screen accompanied by the uplifting theme melody. As the segment comes to an end, Céline Delpy appears on screen before the familiar backdrop of an unnamed European skyline. She smiles before addressing the viewers. The jingoistic tunes of the Federal Anthem, Ode to Joy plays in the background.

320px-Big_european_flag_at_Strasbourg_%28France%29_-_Europe_Day_2009.jpg

Large European flag in Strasbourg

12celinedelpy.jpg

“Bonjour et - HAPPY EUROPA DAY CITIZENS! Welcome to ECN’s special coverage of the Europa Day Festivities and the European Federation’s Second Expansion. I am Celine Delpy, hello. Here in the studio with me is political analyst, Rijk van Zaanen, economic analyst Pauline Leveau and Alexander Swier, military affairs analyst. Standing by in Strasbourg is Maria Menounos covering the ceremonies. In just a few moments, delegates from the ten Eastern European countries are joining the European Parliament, after having completed the requirements of joining the Federation.

“Rijk, why not tell us more behind the enlargement.”

Clearing his throat, he says “Certainly. Well as we all know, the various Articles of Accession were signed last year between the new members and the existing members. Within the documents, the Federation recognized the readiness of these countries to join and officially set the date for federation on May 9th."

“Thank you. Pauline, tell us about the economic implications of this expansion.”

“Enlargement will bring an internal market of over 500 million consumers and an open, frontier-free area where goods and services can circulate freely. This will prove very attractive to non-EF manufacturers and service providers, who will only need to comply with EF standards to sell their products throughout this huge market. Enlargement can thus offer increased prospects of prosperity to the wider Europe.”

“Merci. And now, the big questions. Alexander, what can you tell us about other countries’ reactions to this new development.”

“Well, in my opinion Russia is probably looking warily at us. We now possess land borders with them in Finland and Poland. More importantly these countries both possess long memories as Russian vassal states. Despite not being the Soviet Union anymore, the Russian military is still patently capable as seen in their operations in the Baltics, the Caucasus and the Central Asian republics during the 1990s. Serbia would also be cautious in its reaction, especially given its very close relationship with Moscow and its numerous ethnic populations which yearn to be free of the Serbian yoke.”

“Thank you all very much. We break live to Paris where the Annual Europa Day military parades are being held on the Champs Elysee. In a surprising show of friendship, a British contingent was sent to celebrate the centenary of the Entente Cordiale. They will be followed by contingents from the Marines, the Army and the EUROCORPS, finished with a flyby of aircraft from the French Air Guard.”

britseuropaday.jpg

Grenadier Guards leading the Europa Day Parade

frenchmarines.jpg
Marines from the 9th Marine Brigade (French)

germantroops.jpg

Members of the EUROCORPS - Franco-German Brigade, flag of Federated State of Germany visible

europadayparade.jpg

Several European military vehicles, with the flag of the Federated State of France visible

europaflyby.jpg

Flyby of French Air Guard aircraft

“And now we break live to Strasbourg, where both President of the European Council Gerhardt Schroder and Supreme Chancellor Romano Prodi will address the Parliament and the State.”

romano-prodi1.jpg

Supreme Chancellor Romano Prodi

Not since the fall of the Roman Empire has there been an opportunity to unite Europe - this time not by force of arms, but on the basis of shared ideals and agreed common rules.

Now, as never before, and perhaps as never again, we have the chance to create a Europe in which all the peoples of this continent can live together in peace, security, freedom, justice and equality. A democratic Europe where human rights are respected and the rule of law prevails. An economically integrated Europe which offers growth and prosperity through a single market and a single currency.

It has been a great challenge, but I am proud to say that the applicant countries have shown their determination, and their capacity for change. Their economies and ours have become integrated and their huge efforts to prepare for Federation membership have finally borne fruit.

It is our fervent hope that other nations in Europe will follow suit in helping us build our house of peace. Let there be peace in Europe, a Pax Europa!

Viva Europa!

schroder.jpg

President Gerhardt Schroder

What more is there to be said? To the peoples of Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia, congratulations. Your tireless efforts to improve have allowed you and those who come after you to join in one of the greatest political and economic entities the world knows.

I now want to turn to the subject of the EU's relations with its neighbours in the wider Europe. I’m sure that there will be serious geopolitical questions being asked right now. Questions about the prospect of membership for European countries which are not yet part of the enlargement process. Questions about our relationship with other neighbours for whom membership is not an issue but with whom we want close and constructive relations. How can we best work together with them to construct a wider European area of peace, stability and prosperity?

To Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, Albania, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Serbia, we want to make it absolutely clear that we see you as members of the European family of nations. If you showed the slightest favourable inclination and have proved yourselves capable of joining us as equals, you will be welcomed with open arms.

To our neighbors in Russia, the Ukraine, the Maghreb and the Caucasus, we would like to extend a helping hand, a hand of peace. We want to ensure that our borders with you will not become the dividing line between poverty and prosperity, between liberty and captivity. We offer to share with you the economic benefits of enlargement. We want your help in combating various problems we both suffer, such as organized crime and drug trafficking. We want to emphasize that Europa does not want war with you. We are keepers of the peace, not jingoistic invaders.

No one is pretending that joining us and being part of our European Federation will be easy, but there are immense economic political and cultural benefits to be gained by all parties concerned. It is, in the end, a “win-win” exercise.

This is a grand and worthwhile project.

The project we call "the construction of Europe".

Vive Europa indeed! Comments, thoughts, violent reactions?

Last edited:
*unfurls EU flag*

Very nice to see my country included, finally ;) So nowadays, the EF is pretty much the EU as it stood after the 2004 enlargement, minus Britain?

(Also, who's that chick you use for the TV anchor?)

It's Mélissa Theuriau or something like that, a french journalist :)

Good update!

Howewer, I'm not sure but I understood that the Baltic states were out? Why?

I think it had something to do with Russian intervention. Pesky Ruskies.
Excellent update as ever!:D

*unfurls EU flag*

Very nice to see my country included, finally ;) So nowadays, the EF is pretty much the EU as it stood after the 2004 enlargement, minus Britain?

(Also, who's that chick you use for the TV anchor?)

It's Mélissa Theuriau or something like that, a french journalist :)

Good update!

Howewer, I'm not sure but I understood that the Baltic states were out? Why?

I think it had something to do with Russian intervention. Pesky Ruskies.
Excellent update as ever!:D

You guys kind of overlapped, haha. Okay:
1. The EF now spans the European landmass from Portugal to its farthest points in Poland, Slovakia and Hungary in the east and Finland in the northeast. Yes, Britain is not part of the EF, instead pursuing its own Imperial scheme with the US. The Baltics aren't part of the EF since they were taken over by Russia pre-AAR. Russia TTL has the Central Asian republics, the Baltics, Belarus and the Russian enclaves in Georgia. (Damn, I should probably do a history-book update just to explain everything)
2. Yes, that is the lovely Melissa Theuriau. :)
3. Thanks for the comments, guys!

1. The EF now spans the European landmass from Portugal to its farthest points in Poland, Slovakia and Hungary in the east and Finland in the northeast. Yes, Britain is not part of the EF, instead pursuing its own Imperial scheme with the US. The Baltics aren't part of the EF since they were taken over by Russia pre-AAR. Russia TTL has the Central Asian republics, the Baltics, Belarus and the Russian enclaves in Georgia. (Damn, I should probably do a history-book update just to explain everything)

That would be great, just to set rightly the big picture :)

I second this!

Thanks for the comments everyone. Expect a State of the World series within the next couple of weeks. But for now, let's do... the news. ;)

EUROPA CABLE NEWS - NEWS NIGHT
August 3, 2004

The introductory sequence of Europa Cable News begins with images of European cities flashing across the screen accompanied by the uplifting theme melody. As the segment comes to an end, Céline Delpy appears on screen before the familiar backdrop of an unnamed European skyline. She smiles before addressing the viewers.

jdelpy.jpg

“Bonsoir et bienvenue Europa. I’m Céline Delpy.”

“In the Far East, the leaders of the United States, the European Federation, the United Kingdom, Japan, South Korea, Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand have announced the resurrection of the South East Asian Treaty Organization or SEATO. Formed as a Southeast Asian counterpart to the former NATO, it has been revived and reformed to further the military cooperation of concerned nations in the region. Other nations in the region like India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and Indonesia have been invited but have thus far declined to join. The new organization mirrors NATO’s system of collective defense, whereby its member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party. The members agreed that an armed attack against any one of them in Asia would be considered an attack against them all.”

seato.gif

“As part of the new security arrangements of SEATO, two SEATO theater commands have been announced one responsible for North Asia and one for Southeast Asia. Both shall have a Supreme Allied Commander, who would report to a SEATO Council based in a new headquarters in Singapore. The United States shall provide the theater commander for the Northeast Asian Theater (SACNAT), while the European Federation shall provide the theater commander for the Southeast Asian Theater (SACSAT). The United States, the European Federation, the Philippines and Japan, all of which are separated from the Asian mainland have agreed to deploy a preliminary force of one brigade each to Malaysia, in the case of the European Federation and the Philippines, and South Korea, in the case of the United States and Japan. [1]

“The move, begun in bilateral talks between US President George Bush and Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, came about as a result of Chinese threats against countries in the region pursuing multilateral talks. While not explicitly referring to the United States or the European Federation, the Chinese government has announced in Xinhua, the state media organ, that “attempts to meddle in Asian affairs will be met with grave consequences.”

philcruiseliner.jpg

“These “grave consequences” were most keenly felt during the investigation of the Superferry 14 explosion, where it was found that Chinese agents from the Ministry of State Security carried out the terrorist bombing on the Philippine cruise liner, killing more than 300 people and injuring several hundred more.”

“The aggressive moves of China in Southeast Asia were mirrored elsewhere as skirmishes between Chinese and Indian border forces escalated in July along the western frontiers of India and China. While a ceasefire has since been put in place, the move spells dark times for Sino-Indian relations.”

“The integration of Yemen into the United Arab States continues despite protests from Israel, Persia, Egypt and Turkey. Following the defeat of Yemeni government forces after Islamic uprisings in Yemen, the government in exile has invited erstwhile ally United Arab States to send in military forces and stabilize the country. Following the successful intervention, the leaders of Arabia announced the annexation of Yemen.”

“Congolese troops have entered the Ugandan capital of Kampala following the conclusion of rebel activity in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Uganda, which had supported the rebels, declared war on the DR Congo when it seemed like victory was in reach. Unfortunately for Uganda, Congolese troops supported by Southern Alliance forces from Zimbabwe and Angola were able to maintain control of Kinshasa, smashing the rebels and bringing the war to Uganda’s doorstep.”

nouganda.png

“The Defense Force has announced that the deployment of troops to the Republic of the Congo under Operation Cuvette will be extended through November. As viewers will recall, the Defense Force had deployed troops to the Republic of the Congo following the resumption of fighting between government forces and rebels led by Pastor Ntumi. A peace treaty to end the conflict had been signed in April last year. The army’s deployment has the mission of enforcing the UN ceasefire resolution. Local forces have recommended the deployment of additional motorized patrol vehicles to counter rebel IEDs and landmines.”

“Finally, in domestic news, preparations for the 2004 Summer Olympics to be held in Athens are continuing. Over the past few months, the organisers and the local government have turned the capital of the Federated State of Greece into a huge construction site with dozens of venues and Olympic buildings popping up like mushrooms, much to the satisfaction of the IOC.”

[1]As with how NATO was represented SEATO is represented in-game with guarantees of independence from the EF and US and granting of military access

Does anyone else think of the old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times" when they read these aars? No? Just me...?

Wha.. what? I'm Chinese and I've never heard something like that.

Just checked the quote on Wikipedia and it appears you are right. My apologies. Still, it does fit the theme of the aar.

Does anyone else think of the old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times" when they read these aars? No? Just me...?

Wha.. what? I'm Chinese and I've never heard something like that.

Just checked the quote on Wikipedia and it appears you are right. My apologies. Still, it does fit the theme of the aar.

Nothing like mutual distrust among nations, rampant militarization and general instability among the world's nations to promote a healthy atmosphere. ;)

EUROPA CABLE NEWS - NEWS NIGHT
December 28, 2004

The introductory sequence of Europa Cable News begins with images of European cities flashing across the screen accompanied by the uplifting theme melody. As the segment comes to an end, Céline Delpy appears on screen before the familiar backdrop of an unnamed European skyline. She smiles before addressing the viewers.

gallery_1_1_362131.jpg

“Bonsoir et - welcome to tonight’s Quarterly Review edition. My name is Céline Delpy. The Federation has had a relatively quiet fourth quarter this 2004.”

“In Strasbourg, the first Swiss Members of Parliament prepare to join the governing body of Europe. It’s only been two short months since the Swiss referendum to join the European Federation but efforts at integration have been proceeding well. Chief among these are the significant Swiss Armed Forces joining the European Federation Defense Force.”

“People on the street have credited the European Federation’s commitment to the destruction of rogue regimes, as well as the New Europe Initiative[1] as decisive factors in the Federationist victory in Swiss referendums.”

shocker.png

“Meanwhile, in the United Kingdom, David Blunkett has resigned his position of Home Secretary following a scandal involving his ex-lover’s nanny and accusations of abusing his power. Prime Minister Tony Blair has stood by Mr Blunkett throughout the row. This comes at a tough time for the British government as Argentina has been making provocative statements regarding the Falkland Islands or Malvinas Islands to the Argentines, prompting fears of a second Falklands War.”

“In the Ukraine, pro-Yanukovych protests have erupted in the capital of Kiev. As viewers will recall, the recently completed presidential elections produced pro-Europe politician Viktor Yuschenko as the winner, despite allegations of massive corruption, voter intimidation and electoral fraud on the part of former president Viktor Yanukovych. Yushchenko will take office in by the end of January next year.”

“Fears of a civil war have come to naught, as the threatened secession of Eastern Ukraine did not occur. However, Russian leader Vladimir Putin has applauded the protests, praising the ‘indomitable power of the people’. Viktor Yanukovych is widely known to support Russian policies and usually takes a pro-Moscow line.”

“In finance, improved machine tools developed by a consortium led by Siemens have been purchased by several large private and government-owned industrial concerns such as ThyssenKrupp, EADS and DCNS. Industry experts estimate an efficiency increase of around 6% for all upgraded facilities.”

“In defense, the first of the Air Force’s newly-developed gunships are beginning to enter squadron service. The Transall C-160, once France and Germany’s main transport aircraft has been replaced nationwide with the Airbus A400M. However the C-160s get a new lease on life as they are retrofitted into heavily armed ground attack aircraft in the vein of the American AC-130 gunship. In a statement by the Defense Force HQ, it has been announced that surplus C-160s not sold to friendly nations will be converted into the AC-160 Ballista gunship variant. According to specifications, the new gunships will be providing close air support for European forces with a mix of weapons including at least 1 Bofors 57mm guns, a license-built GAU-8 Gatling gun and hardpoints for air to ground missiles or smart bombs.”

C295-Gunship.jpg

AC-160 Ballista on trials over Germany [2]

“Meanwhile, we’ve had reports of a massive undersea earthquake in the Indian Ocean region, somewhere between 9.1 and 9.3 on the Richter scale. This has apparently triggered tsunamis on the coastlines of the various countries bordering the Indian Ocean. No count on casualties but they are expected to be high. The European Federation as well as other states have begun sending in aid.”

“Defence Force HQ has revealed plans to send the helicopter carrier Jeanne D'Arc, naval supply ship Kattegat as well as destroyers and frigates from the Indian Ocean Station based in Reunion to assist in the humanitarian efforts.”

d_arc_1442533c.jpg

Helicopter carrier Jeanne D'Arc en route to India

“That’s all for now, we’ll bring you more of this story as it develops. Jean Girard is coming up next with “The Strasbourg Report”. Good night."

[1]Refers to Federation efforts to promote pan-Europeanism through things like teaching of a pan-European history, promotion of equality among people of different ethnicity or religion etc.
[2]Rule of Cool applies here. Forgive me!

Last edited: