Patch 1.0.3. Out now! Checksum [935c]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDX_Pariah

Community Manager
Jul 21, 2020
Hi everyone!

We have just deployed a new (small) patch, version 1.0.3. It fixes various issues related to succession. On behalf of the Crusader Kings III team, we are sincerely grateful and humbled by all your feedback! We are working hard to investigate and address the issues that have been reported!

Independent from this patch, we have pushed a potential fix for Steam users that couldn’t fire up the game. This means that next time you will start the game via Steam, you will get an installation step (like on a first-time installation), don’t worry, this is perfectly normal!

If you want to know more about how to post a bug report, check this thread!

See you soon!

Rewrote the order of succession system.
This fixes a variety of issue related to succession. Some examples include half-siblings from the wrong parent inheriting, distant relatives not inheriting, and some issues with who would inherit land in partition.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 116Like
  • 27Love
Reactions:
We've updated the changelog now to be more descriptive:
"Rewrote the order of succession system.
This fixes a variety of issue related to succession. Some examples include half-siblings from the wrong parent inheriting, distant relatives not inheriting, and some issues with who would inherit land in partition. "

• 9Like
Reactions:
Also, how long should it take for succession in a 1.0.2 save to update to the 1.0.3 version? One month ingame? Until someone in the line of succession dies? Would be helpful to know when it recalculates, so we don't have a bunch of spurious "it didn't work" messages.
Opening your succession view or hovering over your primary title both force a succession recalc, so it should update immediately.

Will this require a new game? Because it does not fix the succession issue I was having, where I'm not getting my realm capital, due to what I think is a weird intersection of Partition and Tanistry. I let it run until a few days after a new year, no changes. Bug thread here.
It does not require a new game. That bug sounds like something that would be unaffected by the changes we made in this patch.

Was something changed in a question of House Head line of succession?
House Head continues to follow the Player Heir succession.

Reactions:
So, whenever it's not a case it's a bug?
Yeah.

Be aware that Dynasty Head succession is separate from House Head though. The Dynasty Head is the strongest House Head, and can take up to a year to update.

Reactions:
Any word on the bug where achievements that require you to start as certain characters are not firing when you meet the requirements? It's not a huge deal gameplay wise but it would be nice to know if those saves will be able to get the achievement once its fixed or if you would need to start all over again.
We're aware of that issue, and are looking into it.

It is unlikely the fix to it will fix existing saves; it'll probably only help new saves.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think it would be really helpful for the community to get some dev word on the Tanistry/Partition interaction, as the tutorial is funneling players into Tanistry and they're getting some really weird results (like keeping the Kingdom but losing the capital County). Is this bugged? Is it WAD but confusing?
It's bugged, and we're working on the issue.

Doesn't seem to be the case sometimes. When my first character died (Irish Duke), his granddaughter via his first (deceased) son became Player Heir while his second son became House Head. The second son was also a Duke after succession (Confed Partition created it) so maybe that had something to do with it? In any case, House Head definitely does not always follow Player Heir.
There's an occasional bug with that, and we're working on it.
Ooh, you should definitely report that on the Bug Report forum. Sounds like it might be similar to whatever is going on with House Head passing to someone who isn't the main heir - "special" titles that should always follow main heir are not.
We're looking into an issue like that.
Even after the patch I don't think inheritance works correctly. I am the King of Frisia, no sons, 1 daughter, 1 half brother. He is my vassal and we have the same father from whom we inherited our titles. Succession law is male-preference, confederate partition. Why is my daughter my heir and not my half-brother? This is a major problem because I cannot marry off my daughter for an alliance.

I could disinherited her but what a waste.
Your kids in male-preference go ahead of your siblings or parents. That's working correctly.

• 8Like
Reactions:
@Meneth

I don't yet fully understand all these succession law variants so I just wanted to ask: is there a succession law which passes from brother to bother within the same immediate family (dynasty, I think) but not outside of your specific dynasty (so not to other branches of your house)?

In CK II I used to like the idea of Seniority but I didn't like how it became unwieldly the larger your dynasty got, so often titles went to obscure relatives you had nothing to do with.

I like to have the succession pass from brother to brother, then to the eldest brother's sons in order, and so on. For example, I used to like playing as Denmark and playing through all of Svend's sons (he about 15) in order, until the youngest died.

Does this form of Seniority exist?
That doesn't exist, no.
However, it's worth noting that the House Seniority law only passes your realm within your house. That should get far less unwieldy than in CK2, since your house tends to stay smaller as branches split off as cadet houses.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.