Paradox Short Story Contest 2014 - Rewrite History!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd like to know this too -- if only the period matters, that's one thing, but if we have to link it directly to the game somehow, that could be problematic.

The stories do not need to be directly linked to the game, no. What we are looking for is alternate history stories in the era of EU4, inspired by EU4, but they shouldn't be written in game terms. :)

Last edited:
Oooo Been a Harry Turtledove fan since Guns of The South and How Few Remain.... Eric Flint is also awesome in this genre the 1630 series especially. Time to get to work!

BTW What alternate history authors are your favourites?
As has been mentioned above, Eric Flint's 163X series is pretty fun, what with West Virginians bringing truth, justice and the American Way to 17th-century Germany. Winston Churchill was a good alternate history writer too, although he wrote woefully little of it. I still haven't read For Want Of A Nail, to my eternal embarrassment.

Hm, everything seems clear, but still I have a question: is it acceptable to use self-made graphics in stories? I imagine adding a map or two could make things better, but it might not be allowed in the end, for some reason, who knows?
If you think you need a visual aid to fully explain something, it might just be worth going back to either rewrite the section more clearly or scrap it altogether anyways.

The stories do not need to be directly linked to the game, no. What we are looking for is alternate history stories in the era of EU4, inspired by EU4, but they shouldn't be written in game terms. :)

Cool, I've always wanted to try my hand at Ottoman (alt-)historical fiction. The deadline is pretty tight and I won't have a lot of free time between now and then, but I'll certainly give it a shot.

Writing it as a historical text, from the perspective of a historian looking back at a pivotal event and its causes and repercussions, should be acceptable, yes? Just checking while I'm only a fifth of the way through.

Yep, thats fine!

This is great, I already managed write one fifth of the whole. My writing skills are a bit rusty though, do you get penalized a lot if you have one or two typos in the text?

Nah, typos we can fix - the story is what matters.

The stories can of course be inspired by EU4 and EU4 sessions - that's the whole idea - but a reader should be able to understand them without knowing the game. The anthology will (hopefully :))be read by non-gamers too, so try to explain things in "layman's terms". :)

Hey! I take offense to that! "layman's terms"... the nerve! Just because my last name is Layman!?

^that was a joke by the way. I'm not offended, though my last name is really Layman. :)

Also, I might enter the contest though the timeline might be a little tight.

Last edited: