• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ship Classes

I was looking at TGW's ships and was wondering could there be added older classes of warships for smaller countries. Many were in use and could still be built. I referenced Jane's WWI warships and would like to see coastal monitors added if its possible. This ships along with other coastal warships did play a part in the med. and baltic seas.

myces2000 said:
I was looking at TGW's ships and was wondering could there be added older classes of warships for smaller countries. Many were in use and could still be built. I referenced Jane's WWI warships and would like to see coastal monitors added if its possible. This ships along with other coastal warships did play a part in the med. and baltic seas.
We tried to include some older vessels, but we had to draw the line somewhere. If we included some of the older class vessels for the minor powers we would have had to do it for the major powers. Since those vessels were considered useless by the major powers at the time (or near useless) it was decided not to include them.

However if you have a list of vessels that might work (and what powers that belong to) we might be able to include a few on a case-by-case basis.

I have a list of WWI warships from Jane's for all the major powers plus several minor powers in europe. I am not asking for sailing swoops or anything but maybe monitor's with 12 inch guns and higher were common.
If you would like i can get you the list or you can check yourself from Jane's WWI Fighting Ships. Some may question the use of this ships but they were cheap, short time to build coastal defence warships. If there is a way to limit there use or a huge penalty for using them away from a coastal area that would be very good.

Also i would like to ask if the warships in TGW were based off a specific class. I found that the british BC's were limited to one class, is there a limit to the number of types of warships that can be created?

Also has anyone thought to use armored transports a commerce raiders or are they severly limited for that function. Reason i ask is that i think theres a commerce raider tech, is it only for official navy warships. It would be nice for a cheap mans raider to pich the nose of the mighty british navy. (or in my case the confederate raiders slapping the yankee merchant marine/whalers across the face ;)

myces2000 said:
I have a list of WWI warships from Jane's for all the major powers plus several minor powers in europe. I am not asking for sailing swoops or anything but maybe monitor's with 12 inch guns and higher were common.
If you would like i can get you the list or you can check yourself from Jane's WWI Fighting Ships. Some may question the use of this ships but they were cheap, short time to build coastal defence warships. If there is a way to limit there use or a huge penalty for using them away from a coastal area that would be very good.

I believe we've had this one before :) We drew the line at destroyers, ensuring that smaller vessels were not included. Arguably, a monitor could sink a destroyer by virtue of its guns, however, they were essentially for menial tasks and supporting land forces. The ships we are dealing with in TGW are essentially those which might be described as 'ocean going', which monitors are not.

Besides, the weakest type of unit we have in the game is a torpedo boat flotilla. :) If we were to have even weaker units, then I suspect that they would be of little use in comparison to the cost they could conceivably be built for.

myces2000 said:
Also i would like to ask if the warships in TGW were based off a specific class. I found that the british BC's were limited to one class, is there a limit to the number of types of warships that can be created?

British BC's in TGW are of the Invincible, Lion and Renown class. However, they are not meant to be taken literally - the class names are there simply to give the player an idea of what class the ship in question is roughly like.

myces2000 said:
Also has anyone thought to use armored transports a commerce raiders or are they severly limited for that function. Reason i ask is that i think theres a commerce raider tech, is it only for official navy warships. It would be nice for a cheap mans raider to pich the nose of the mighty british navy. (or in my case the confederate raiders slapping the yankee merchant marine/whalers across the face ;)

Does anyone else have any thoughts on making a model of transport vessels commerce raiders, or even Q-ships? The latter could have enhanced submarine detection capabilities, for example.

Allenby said:
Does anyone else have any thoughts on making a model of transport vessels commerce raiders, or even Q-ships? The latter could have enhanced submarine detection capabilities, for example.

Several questions:

Would these armed transports have enough cargo capacity to still retain the ability to transport an infantry division? Should they? If not would we make them be buildable under the destroyer, for example, category?

The extra sub detection is fine with perhaps and additional one point in sea attack.

Shadow Knight said:
Would these armed transports have enough cargo capacity to still retain the ability to transport an infantry division? Should they? If not would we make them be buildable under the destroyer, for example, category?

The exact problem - as transports they would retain their ability to carry infantry, and I can't quite see a commerce raider or a Q-ship carrying 15,000-28,000 men :rolleyes:

Therefore, if they were to be included as units, they would have to be as very weak cruisers, not destroyers, as the latter are essentially flotillas of several ships, and commerce raiders went around on their own.

Is it worth having an extra space in our list of cruisers for commerce raiders and Q-ships? I think not. :) They were, in essence, a flamboyant side show in a very big war at sea.

I would change my mind, however, if we discovered some miraculous method of ensuring that a particular model of transport ship was rendered unable to carry units. :) By the way, can Light Infantry (paratroopers) still be carried by Airships (transport planes)?

I say make them a tech, that increases convoy defense by say +5%.

There is a line in the stats for (vanilla) Transports that says :-

transportcapability = 40

Perhaps if you code that down to 0, it will prevent that model of transport from carrying any troops ?

there is the same line in the stats for transport planes - again, reduce it to zero to prevent them carrying troops, perhaps. There is a line in all the land unit stats called "transportweight" - set at 10 for foot troops, 30 for cav/mech/mot/panzer, but I dont know if it has any effect.

Just my thoughts

Tim

OOB's anyone?

Naval:

BB= Dreadnought Battleship
B= Pre-Dreadnought Battleship
BC= Battlecruiser
AC= Armored Cruiser
CL= Light Cruiser
DD= Destroyer
SS= Submarine

Germany:

BBx13
Bx24
BCx4
ACx7
CLx21
DDx81
SSx26

Austria-Hungary:

BBx3
Bx9
ACx3
CLx6
DDx29
SSx4

United Kingdom:

19xBB
39xB
8xBC
55xAC
56xCL
151xDD
67xSS

Note that 38 out of 67 Submarines were
"Coastal Submarines". Intended to operate as
a part of the Coastal defense.

France:

8xBB
15xB
22xAC
5xCL
83xDD
55xSS

Japan:
BBx2
Bx11
BCx2
ACx13
CLx6
DDx59
SSx13

Ottomans:

2xB
2xCL
8XDD

U.S. Navy:

10xBB
23xB
12xAC
23xCL
50xDD
27xSS

Russia Navy:

Baltic:

5xB
6xAC
3xCL
45xDD
14xSS

Black Sea:

5xB
2xCL
26xDD
9xSS

Arctic:

2xDD

Far East:

10xDD

China Navy:

6xCL
3xDD

Armies:

A = Active Division
R = Reserve Division
C = Cavalry Division

Germany:

51xA
26xR
11xC

Austria-Hungary:

30xA
15xR
11xC

Turkey:

25xR

Bulgaria:

10xA
1xC

Greece:

4xA
1xC

Netherlands:

4xA
1xC

Romania:

10xA
2xC

Italy:

25xA

Serbia:

12xA
1xC

Belgium:

6xA
1xR

France:

46xA
11xR
10xC

Britain:

9xA
1xC

US Army:

3xA Infantry Divisions
1xC Cavalry Division

China Army:

140xA Infantry Divisions

Russia:

70xA
38xR
32XC

HistoryMan said:
There is a line in the stats for (vanilla) Transports that says :-

transportcapability = 40

Perhaps if you code that down to 0, it will prevent that model of transport from carrying any troops ?

there is the same line in the stats for transport planes - again, reduce it to zero to prevent them carrying troops, perhaps. There is a line in all the land unit stats called "transportweight" - set at 10 for foot troops, 30 for cav/mech/mot/panzer, but I dont know if it has any effect.

Just my thoughts

Tim

It looks promising, but I've not managed to get it to work. Has anyone else?

If CORE can, we can.

Gordon Freeman said:
All of these OOB's are for my August 1914 WWI scenario on another forum for another game.

Interesting. :) Which one?

I think transportcapability, as well as transportweight, are part of that nasty list of things called "unimplemented features"...

Anyway, I thought transport units were meant to be flotillas? Not many cargo ships at this time were able to carry a full division, AFAIK. There was something about the transports being enough ships to have around 25.000 tons of displacement, I think. How large were the Q-ships on average?

Gwalcmai said:
I think transportcapability, as well as transportweight, are part of that nasty list of things called "unimplemented features"...

Anyway, I thought transport units were meant to be flotillas? Not many cargo ships at this time were able to carry a full division, AFAIK. There was something about the transports being enough ships to have around 25.000 tons of displacement, I think. How large were the Q-ships on average?

How unfortunate. Oh well, never mind. :)

This is a Q-ship:

hmsprivet.jpg

There were very few of them, and they didn't sink too many U-boats during the war.

ptan54 said:
Sarevok - isn't that the name of the villain from Baldur's Gate 1? Who makes an appearance in BG2 also?
Why yes it is patch.

And Gordon Freeman is the hero from Half-Life.

I'm sure there's a thread in OT about nicks, so let's keep the discussion here about OOBs...