OOB+Generals. When do PDX release OOB Staff, Corps level and more generals like in HoI3?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When do PDX release Corps level and more generals like in HoI3?

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. Then will PDX release an OOB like in HoI3, and not before.

• 30Like
  • 11Haha
Reactions:
Order of battle and generals. When do PDX release Corps level and more generals like in HoI3?
Current system is too simplified.
Having to manage the thousands of corps the USSR, USA, or Germany can have would kill me. The present system is perfectly adequate. Making hundreds of new portraits for corps level commanders of dozens of nations would suck up huge art resources which could be used elsewhere.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Making hundreds of new portraits for corps level commanders of dozens of nations would suck up huge art resources which could be used elsewhere.

HoI4's art style (portraits instead of photos) is the reason we will never have even a tenth of the historical leaders and ministers previous HoIs had.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hopefully never. I do think there should be more generals and miss the historical b/w photos though
Well, all we can hope for is HoI5 use the same 3D generated character models used in Imperator, CK3, and Victoria 3. Like, the 2D portraits are all well drawn and all, but they're so limiting.

1.) You can't kill off any generals, only wound them because a general is indispensable (yes there's scripted events and civil wars that get rid of generals but you don't lose generals to combat).
2.) You can't replace or dismiss generals
3.) And minor-mid sized countries with far fewer selection of generals than Germany for example only get less than a dozen generals.

Like i'm playing as France and i feel like as the war progresses past 1940, I should be able to replace my older, inflexible generals with newer generals that proved themselves in combat. But no, HoI4 i have to use the awful generals they offered. If i buy new generals, they're just the same 3 identical portraits.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I’d echo the others on this thread that the art style for Hoi4 means that we won’t have an expansion of the OOB. At best we might get theatre generals, but I doubt it

I also don’t think the Art system will charge for Hoi4 given its an easy way to distinguish DLCs from mods. Making large quantities of painted portraits I imagine takes time and a dedicated team, something smaller mods probably struggle with and will have to resort to photos. Thus making DLCs more competitive since they need to sell rather than be used for free

1.) You can't kill off any generals, only wound them because a general is indispensable (yes there's scripted events and civil wars that get rid of generals but you don't lose generals to combat).
This should have been an optional game rule like in previous HOI games.

Reactions:
I think a general division system like the EU IV could be inserted that only appeared the commander name next to the name of the division that could gain experience and traits through the fight and that only when they reached a certain level could there be a decision or eventual that some of those commanders promoted to corps commanders and could obtain some kind of portrait I think the current system would be more organic and less random

• 2Like
Reactions:
Why do you want a corps level ? What do you want the corps level to do ? Why does a corps level necessarily require more generals ? What problem do you think having a corps level of organisation will solve ?

If there was a corps level of organisation, I would like it to do just two things:
1. keep the divisions grouped in the corps close together, rather than shuffling them across the entire front line.
2. better representation of corps-level assets which are currently represented as divisional assets - field hospitals for example

That's it. And I think it does not require additional portraits, additional command bonuses, or anything else. Just an organisation tool.

• 10Like
Reactions:
I think that more generals is certainly needed for almost every nation in game , but I don't think corps level army would be a ideal idea as in my mind the currently system is satisfactory and corps is likely to make player's job more heavy and complicated , espeacially for people who never played HOI 3 (me ,for example )

• 3Like
Reactions:
Even if they don't have a corps-level system, I would hope to have more control over field marshal lines aside from a huge battle plan. At this current point, It is quite difficult to pull of complex maneuvers, which lead to the need for heavy micro. I would also want something like where you set it so only certain divisions attacks, while the rest act as fill-ins/defense.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Even if they don't have a corps-level system, I would hope to have more control over field marshal lines aside from a huge battle plan. At this current point, It is quite difficult to pull of complex maneuvers, which lead to the need for heavy micro. I would also want something like where you set it so only certain divisions attacks, while the rest act as fill-ins/defense.
Yes. I think the battle planner would work better with corps-level system. The AI is incapable of pulling off any complex plans involving lots of troops and provinces. However, with a corps system, and the resulting smaller battleplans might just finally allow to AI to perform offensive or defensive actions that aren't completely illogical.

• 2Like
Reactions:
2.) You can't replace or dismiss generals
Yes you can! Try this interesting little mod I like to refer to as my Department of Personnel Management.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Why do you want a corps level ? What do you want the corps level to do ? Why does a corps level necessarily require more generals ? What problem do you think having a corps level of organisation will solve ?
It will work better for offensive units, since 24 tank/mechanized/Motorized divisions is far too many. You either have to use multiple frontlines of one general, and then suffer from units moving somewhere you never want, because encirclement eliminated their frontline, or accept your offensive generals not getting levels because you use 1/4 or 1/5 of their command capacity.
If there was a corps level of organisation, I would like it to do just two things:
1. keep the divisions grouped in the corps close together, rather than shuffling them across the entire front line.
2. better representation of corps-level assets which are currently represented as divisional assets - field hospitals for example

That's it. And I think it does not require additional portraits, additional command bonuses, or anything else. Just an organisation tool.
Generals exp gain from command limit of 24 is still an issue.

• 3Like
Reactions: