New to BattleTech - trying to get first strike on enemy Lance. *SPOILERS*

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NewtSoup

Sergeant
7 Badges
Jun 1, 2020
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
I am attempting to liberate a planet in the main story.

I can sprint one of my mechs to the point where enemies are detected in the first round.

This reveals two enemy mechs and a couple of turrets.

I then want to MOVE my LRM boat to a place where I can multitarget those two mechs. I can find the spot easy enough but even after clicking move rather than sprint I'm still not allowed to fire and make that first strike. I still have to wait an entire round for the two aforementioned mechs to have a go at me first.

I've noticed this before when I'm out of combat - it's nigh on impossible to do anything but sprint. I can't walk into range and then fire.

Is there a way to do what I want to do?

In general, no. It is a quirk of the initiative system.

Initially you are in the free move, out of combat, movement phases. During this it defaults to Sprinting and you cannot fire, even if you get line of sight. You can switch to walking or jumping, but the mech will have to Brace afterwards. There is no way to shoot during this part.

Once you have sensor contact on an enemy, the game switches to normal combat initiative. The side that gets the first sensor contact determines which one will go first in the interleaved rounds, with the side that did not initiate contact getting the first move. Of course, this only applies if both sides have units in the top initiative round.

If you only have mediums and the enemy has light mechs (assuming no master tactician or other init bonuses), then the enemy will always go first with their lights.

If you want the chance at first action you either need an initiative advantage (lighter class mechs) or you need to tie their weight class and let the enemy make first sensor contact (hard to do when you don't know exactly where they are).

It is better to just approach cautiously, using move and brace, rather than going for first shot.

Reactions:
Thank you for the explanation. I'm glad it wasn't just me being dense. I'm early game still and trying to liberate Smithon.

I'm trying to also hit an ammo crate on that first turn before the locust and the firestarter get out of the danger area but from what you say that won't be possible.

Neither can I seem to hit the ammo truck. It seems like it both appears and moves out of range on the same turn with no hope of even the most nimble mech being able to hit it.

I have to say that I'm loving the game. I played the original back in 1988 and this version certainly ticks the nostalgia box in every way while providing far more up to date gameplay. It's one of the best turn based strategy games I've played and I wasted half my degree playing Civ 2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Glad you are enjoying it! It is one of my favorite games too.

Ammo trucks
The ammo trucks can be tough, but they are a bonus objective. Trying using a spotter and a second mech with long range weapons to actually fire on them. You can either sprint after them or use sensor lock. It might be easier to try and catch them on their second turn, rather than the first. It can be tough to do without taking too much damage from the enemy mechs.

I think I used a Shadow Hawk to chase and melee them, but I didn't try to get them first turn.

My main is running a Commando with 2LRM10 and an LRM15 ( low armour but I use indirect fire or sensor lock if there's no good firing solution for her )
Behemoth is Gunnery Guts in the Blackjack refit with PPC AC5 and 2ML
Medusa is Pilot Guts in a Vindicator with 5ML and SRM4
Glitch is Gunnery Guts In a Shadow Hawk with an 1ML SRM2 and SRM6

Dekker was fired for insubordination after he got the Rebellious tag. The only thing he seemed to do was get himself put in the med bay anyway.

I think Medusa may actually be in the wrong mech. Despite being Pilot Guts he has only 55 Melee in the Vindi.

I think Medusa may actually be in the wrong mech. Despite being Pilot Guts he has only 55 Melee in the Vindi.
Neither Piloting nor Guts has any effect on the damage value for melee attacks. Piloting affects melee hit chance, but if you want more damage you will need to install +melee damage arm mods.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Neither Piloting nor Guts has any effect on the damage value for melee attacks. Piloting affects melee hit chance, but if you want more damage you will need to install +melee damage arm mods.
I had no idea there were melee arm mods. I've not seen them yet. I got the trucks this time but was overrun by 8 mechs. Took 3 out before Glitch was killed and decided to reload and try a different strategy.

My main is running a Commando with 2LRM10 and an LRM15 ( low armour but I use indirect fire or sensor lock if there's no good firing solution for her )
Behemoth is Gunnery Guts in the Blackjack refit with PPC AC5 and 2ML
Medusa is Pilot Guts in a Vindicator with 5ML and SRM4
Glitch is Gunnery Guts In a Shadow Hawk with an 1ML SRM2 and SRM6

Dekker was fired for insubordination after he got the Rebellious tag. The only thing he seemed to do was get himself put in the med bay anyway.

35 LRM tubes sounds awfully heavy for a Commando loadout, do you perhaps mean Centurion?
Also, remember that the ammo trucks are an optional goal.

35 LRM tubes sounds awfully heavy for a Commando loadout, do you perhaps mean Centurion?
If you strip it down to one ton of armour, a COM-2D can fit 2xLRM-10, but it's impossible to also fit a LRM-15. The combined weight of those three launchers is 17 tons (5 + 5 + 7), and the Commando only has 12 tons free when you strip it of all armour, weapons, and equipment (4 tons armour, 2 tons ammo, 1 ton ML, 2 tons SRM-4, 3 tons SRM-6 = 4 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 3 = 12).

So yes, it's a pretty safe bet he meant Centurion :)

If you strip it down to one ton of armour, a COM-2D can fit 2xLRM-10, but it's impossible to also fit a LRM-15. The combined weight of those three launchers is 17 tons (5 + 5 + 7), and the Commando only has 12 tons free when you strip it of all armour, weapons, and equipment (4 tons armour, 2 tons ammo, 1 ton ML, 2 tons SRM-4, 3 tons SRM-6 = 4 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 3 = 12).

So yes, it's a pretty safe bet he meant Centurion :)

Sorry yes, I did indeed mean a Centurion. ( Also "she" :p )

Also, remember that the ammo trucks are an optional goal.

I know, but my brain has a hard time letting them go. I know it can be done so I have to do it :D

Duly noted, and my bad; should have used "they".
Oh don't feel bad, it happens a lot. I was trying upload my actual picture as an avatar but this forum doesn't let you do that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh don't feel bad, it happens a lot.
...Now I feel stupid, I didn't even read your signature :oops:

If I had, I'd known we had something in common: The ZX-81. It was the second computer I programmed on; the first was a ZX-80, and the third was my first own computer, a ZX Spectrum with a whopping 48 kB RAM.

Yeah. I had a ZX81 with the after market click keyboard and 16k wobblepack.

I wrote my own "Canyon" game in basic. I wasn't otherwise much of a programmer back then. My second computer was also a ZX Spectrum. I wanted a BBC B but that was far more expensive than the Speccy and my parents wouldn't stand it. Nevertheless I played Elite most of the time. I've actually got a 128k+2 by my side right now. ( it's in its box on a shelf but it's by my side ).

Major parenting error by my parents: Teaching me how to use a screwdriver at 9 years old.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I know, but my brain has a hard time letting them go. I know it can be done so I have to do it :D
LOL, I'm the same - I *KNOW* they are optional but I just hate missing out :D
I also hate retreating, so I'll fight on and wreck my lance for a win. Then spend months in sickbay and repairing mechs - but the satisfaction of recovering from an "on-the-edge" situation like that is immense. Plus I don;t like the "Withdrawal" mechanic, although I see why they added it as it is. :)

Also, add me to the ZX81 club, with 16k wobblepack

Sounds like you are on Smithton!

SPOILER:

Send a Firestarter after the trucks, that way it can take out the turret in upper left corner (hardest to find). Recommend Firestarter loadout 2 med lasers & 2 smalls Center Torso, arms & side torsos MGs 1 ton of MG ammo.
On the building platform their is an ammo box with two turrets near it. You can take out both turrets & do damage to enemy firestarter. You can blowup two ammo boxes without losing any bonus pay.
Another good Centurion loadout is RA AC2, small laser, CT 2 medl lasers, LT 2 LRM10s or 1 LRM20 add 2 tons LRM ammo 1 ton AC2 ammo, extra armor & possible jump jets.

Hope this helps.

NO STJOBE I haven't figured out how to hide SPOILERS!! This is not meant to insult anyone.
[
Mod edit: Added spoiler tags]

Last edited by a moderator:
NO STJOBE I haven't figured out how to hide SPOILERS!! This is not meant to insult anyone.
you use BB Code tags to hide spoilers
Code:
[spoiler]
enter the spoiler information here and then when you're finished and want to close it you use
[/spoiler]

I don't have a firestarter. The mechs I have are the mechs I got. Apart from an Atlas. I do have an Atlas with 2AC20 and 4ML and 4T AC20 ammo which may be too much ammo thinking about it. **Edit - no it's not too much ammo as each crate only holds 5 rounds. 4t gives me 10 shots with both AC20 **

I do use my LRM boat to take an initial shot at the ammo crate to take out the two turrets but both the locust and the enemy firestarter move out of range of the explosion on their first turn.

Reactions:
I'm not showing off now, I promise.
I'm going to give the atlas another try as is. I will send it in after the locust and the firestarter.

Medusa with piloting and guts in the Atlass will go for the firestarter and the locust - probably just punch them
Glitch in the Shadowhawkwith srms and lasers will go after the ammo trucks
Behemoth will offer fire support in the blackjack with its PPC, AC5 and 2 medium lasers
Firenewt will stay in the Centurion with ALL LRMs and the ability to sensorlock - so any time she doesn't have a good firing solution she will just sensorlock something that's being annoying.

250 Ton drop tonnage for this mission now :) I've watched some videos on general tactics and I understand how to better declaw enemy mechs now.