New to BattleTech - trying to get first strike on enemy Lance. *SPOILERS*

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apparently no I don't

Dammit.. so close. Firenewt went down and the enemy were down to the last 2 mechs but then they killed Behemoth and Medusa's atlas was out of armor. I can't believe that Glitch missed 2 DFA attacks @140 damage with 90% hit chance each time. If those had gone through I'd have got that with only my main down.

Dammit.. so close. Firenewt went down and the enemy were down to the last 2 mechs but then they killed Behemoth and Medusa's atlas was out of armor. I can't believe that Glitch missed 2 DFA attacks @140 damage with 90% hit chance each time. If those had gone through I'd have got that with only my main down.
If it's any consolation, that mission is one of the hardest ones in the whole campaign. I distinctly remember me getting my lower rear center torso handed to me quite a few times before I managed to finish it - and I've never come through it without serious battle damage.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you, it does help to know it's one of the hardest missions. I have just had another 3 goes at it and then shut the game down to have a rest and watch some Last Air Bender.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Should I be stripping my mechs of equipment. maxing armour and then putting back whatever equipment will still fit?

Should I be stripping my mechs of equipment. maxing armour and then putting back whatever equipment will still fit?
It's always a balance between having enough armour to last the fight, and having enough firepower to not have the fight drag out longer than necessary.

Personally I don't generally max out armour on my 'Mechs. When it happens, it's usually because the loadout I want for them (like e.g. a 16-tube SRM brawler Shadow Hawk) leaves enough free tons to also max armour.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Then once more I'm doing it right. The difference I've seen between me and some of the vids I've seen on this mission is I don't have quite the same skills and I have no + weapons. The guy I saw do a "perfect run" managed it with no internal damage at all and was downing mechs in one round ( not one shot as multiple weapons ).

I don't mind taking internal damage or even an injury on a couple of pilots ( they'll heal ) I just want to survive and complete all objectives. Perhaps I should just postpone the mission and look for better gear.

New plan:
Firenewt - Guns/Tactics Centurion LRM boat
Behemoth - Guns/Guts Stock Dragon
Medusa - Pilot/Guts Shadowhawk
Glitch - Guns/Guts Atlas

Time to die :)

New plan:
Firenewt - Guns/Tactics Centurion LRM boat
Behemoth - Guns/Guts Stock Dragon
Medusa - Pilot/Guts Shadowhawk
Glitch - Guns/Guts Atlas

Time to die :)

IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED

All objectives complete. No injuries. Minor Structural damage on the missile boat.

I will fine tune the dragon. I'm not sure what happened. I did stuff slightly differently.

I managed to severely damage a mech and take out the two turrets by moving one of my mechs to somewhere different on the first turn which meant the firestarter didn't move out of the danger field.

I then destroyed the crate behind that which took out 2 more mechs and severely damaged a 3rd and that made all the difference.

Kept mobile to avoid the light mechs. Sent Behemoth in the dragon after the trucks and concentrated fire on the weapons of the remaining heavier mechs

• 4Like
Reactions:
20200605153052_1.jpg

20200605154235_1.jpg

Ok maybe more than "minor" damage to the Centurion - bit of a ding really but point is.. no injuries and that will only take a day or two to repair.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well done!

Remember that Dragons spend a lot of tonnage on their Engine, leaving less leftover for weapons and armor. Once you start salvaging more chassis, I think you'll find a Rifleman or Thunderbolt to be a more useful contributor as a combatant. An extra plus for any Thud you find is that they are already armored up to the max.

Rifleman can take a bit of fiddling, but are great ranged combatants. A simple change would be to make one of the Large Lasers a medium, and add three tons of armor and a heat sink.

Cheers and Enjoy

• 1Like
Reactions:
IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED
I remember that feeling after completing Smithson for the first time. (It was absolutely not on the first attempt, either. I lost count.) Well done! Reading the thread, you definitely earned your victory. One other story mission gave me nearly as much trouble at first, but Smithson is still the biggest grind of the campaign.