National Ideagroups - 22nd of October B - Albania

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd wager this NI is rather geared towards an Albania March, not for players to start an Albania campaign.

Albanian March is rather retarded idea given the geographical position of this country on the map.

...hm, although it could be useful in Italian/Ottoman struggles over the sea...

Anyway, no, it is really good also for a player :D

Traditions
+20% Defensiveness

I also didn't trust Defensiveness but believe me it is pretty cool modifier. Essentially sieging provinces takes 20% more time, which means months, which may mean life or warscore.

+10% Manpower Recovery Speed

And this, my friend, this modifier is very strong. Especially for a country like Albania when you have limited MP and many foes.

[*]All Lands Under Skanderbeg: +20% Land Forcelimit Modifier
[*]Break the Princes: +15% Global Manpower Modifie
r

Both NIs are absolutely glorous for minor countries with low army limits.

[*]Land of Ambushers: +1 Leader Land Manuever

Free Leader Pipes are always good and this one is especially good for Albania, as you will need this Maneuver to outmaneuver (duh) stronger armies, avoid attrition on poor mountain Balkan provinces or decrease river terrain penalties (this is what maneuver does in AOW , right?)

[*]Kingdom of Albania: +1 Prestige

Always OK.

[*]Hit and Run: -10% Cavalry Cost

Not crazy but again - in the case of Albania such stuff makes a difference.

[*]Land of the Eagles: -10% Stability Cost Modifier

This is always a good modifier, although in the case of Albania it is arguably useful if you expand more :D

[*]Albanian Tolerance: +1 Heretic Tolerance, +1 Heathen Tolerance

VERY good modifer especially for Balkans where there are 3 - 4 religions for the entire game.

Ambition
-1% Army Tradition Decay

And this is Top Tier idea, allowing you on much better generals over the course of game. I seriously don't understand how you can don't see its power: Albania is one of the few countries in the entire game which have this modifier and it severely improves generals in a long perspective. Take this, proper military building and innovative and you may have top generals forever.

Of course it comes relatively late (with quick gaining NIs: mid - late 16th century) but previous ideas are not weak to begin with.

Overall, while Albania remains little hardcore nation, it has now much better chances of survival in the hands of a decent player. Arguably it will also survive better even in the case of AI: as I said, for some reason Albania tends to resurrect a lot of times over the course of a game, and +20% defensiveness along all these military bonuses can make it survive more often.

Last edited:
It just made me sad that you can't do the same stuff in EU4 even with God Tier leader like Skandenberg (6 - 5 - 5) as there is no guerilla warfare :(

Not only that, but it's represented in such a way that Albania will continue to get fortress defenses even if they control the whole of Eastern Europe. :p

Oh well. Not the worst way in the world of doing it.

Well I never thought the whole idea set would be made up of a single man, or a single time period, just that. Anyway, it may be fun to play them at least.

If there is any single ruler in 1444 that deserves an idea set of their own, it's probably Skanderbeg.

It's been too long since I played Albania, need to figure out a new place to run away to...

If there is any single ruler in 1444 that deserves an idea set of their own, it's probably Skanderbeg.

It's been too long since I played Albania, need to figure out a new place to run away to...

In my last game, AI Albania beat the Ottomans and forced them to revoke their core on Albania. I'd say you've already won.

Because... they flipped to Islam more quickly than most people under Ottoman rule?

Albania never switched completely to Islam, and large parts of Ottoman Europe were Muslim until the Habsburg reconquest of Croatia and Hungary. Albania and Bosnia's modern Muslim populations are because they avoided rechristianisation due to being under Ottoman control until 1912, not because they were focus points of Muslim population in the 17th century.

I have to ask, what is the strategy to not get annexed as Albania in the standard 1444 start? I've never seen them not get swallowed by Ottomans in any game I've played. I'm delighted with the features AoW promises; this will be a lot of fun, but in my experience (and I'm no brilliant player) Albania is a hopeless cause, yet so many here seem to feel otherwise. What am I missing?

It just made me sad that you can't do the same stuff in EU4 even with God Tier leader like Skandenberg (6 - 5 - 5) as there is no guerilla warfare :(
Wasn't guerrilla, he actually beated ottomans in many battles along a decade. Maybe he deserves a special event chain for manpower and discipline? To better simulate that particular period for albania

I have to ask, what is the strategy to not get annexed as Albania in the standard 1444 start? I've never seen them not get swallowed by Ottomans in any game I've played. I'm delighted with the features AoW promises; this will be a lot of fun, but in my experience (and I'm no brilliant player) Albania is a hopeless cause, yet so many here seem to feel otherwise. What am I missing?
Immediately declare war and siege a neighboring province so that the Ottomans can't full annex you, then take that time to declare war on some minor so you have a place to escape to (like Urbino or Riga).

Immediately declare war and siege a neighboring province so that the Ottomans can't full annex you, then take that time to declare war on some minor so you have a place to escape to (like Urbino or Riga).

My last Albania game I annexed East Frisia (got there through diprep advisor and mil access) and eventually relocated to Switzerland, westernized and became Alpbania.