My thoughts on where EU2 went wrong & how elements from other games could help EU3

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
MrT said:
The high priest might wish to remind himself that CK event script uses the format modifier = { condition = {...} factor = 0.f }. ;)

:p

Maybe you missed the part where I said I wasn't a beta or anything for CK :D

Though I do need to learn the scripting syntax if I'm going to help The Phoenix with his educational reforms. Any links to a decent CK scripting manual that is vaguely up-to-date?

(Feel free to email me one if you've just got it all in a word/excel file, my email is very tough to remember... duuk at duuk.com ;) Who me, egotistical? Perish the thought! )

Duuk said:
Maybe you missed the part where I said I wasn't a beta or anything for CK :D

Though I do need to learn the scripting syntax if I'm going to help The Phoenix with his educational reforms. Any links to a decent CK scripting manual that is vaguely up-to-date?

(Feel free to email me one if you've just got it all in a word/excel file, my email is very tough to remember... duuk at duuk.com ;) Who me, egotistical? Perish the thought! )
Havard's is still pretty good resource, but I don't think he includes csc switches. Then look in ...\ck\db\events\event_effect.txt for currently allowable comands and syntax.

Essentially, every single day, starting with 1540 and ending in 1580, there will be a chance for the event to occur. Depending on the modifiers in place

So this routine is called once a day for every country in the game for 40 years. Calling it 50 nations world wide that would give 720,000 calls per game? Of course this is not the only revolt to have to be so called, indeed given that it is only five provinces it may be one of the lesser called ones; as opposed to one that ranges over most of China, the HRE, the starting Timirud empire, or Mother Russia. Somehow I think rewriting all the events of EU2 into such a format where every nation gets these checks would be just a touch harsh on the CPU.

Not to mention that balancing this type of event becomes extraordinairily hard when you have other dynamic events which affect the conditions. I.e. before you can establish how likely the Dutch r

evolts are to occur you need to first determine how likely one is to be at the specified centra levels. Of course if we were reproducing the EUII event set in this manner we'd first have to iterate that backwards or set up some differential equations (which appear not to have algebraic solutions) and work it out explicitly.

Actually, EU3 has to deal with less (i think) Most likely there won't be thousands of characters and events for them, which are the burden in CK now.
The thousands of characters merely make the matrix huge, most characters don't interact in any way. A 400 member set where everyone interacts has far greater complexity than a 10,000 member set where only 20 interactions occur per member.

You have taken a look at the events of CK, right? So, even though there are more religions, more government types, more domestic policies, more foreign policy options, church/state interaction, etc., there will be far less characters, traits, and thus events. Sure, the map of CK has only ~1000 provinces, while EU3 has supposedly ~1700. But instead of say 10000 characters in CK you have perhaps a couple hundred nation TAG's in EU3.
A hundred odd kingdom tags; ~1700 province tags; call it 100,000 religious tolerance settings; and 10,000,000 domestic policies for a start. The only way I see out of a rather wicked looking geometric progression is to limit the amount of interaction bewteen the components.

Even if you don't use too much CPU load, particularly if you end up cutting into the AI, that still is murder and a half to balance. Mathematical treatment of such a system looks to be beyond algebraic means which essentially leaves repetitive testing. Given the size of the web and the potential interplay you'd be looking at thousands of games per to get a decent picture of how things are panning out. Tell me how many games does it take to balance out a new CK event? How does one know what balances their mods will change and how does one go about evening the field out without playtesting quite heavily?

Frankly I'd rather toss the dynamic events, and devote all of the CPU time, coder time, and balance testing to a superior AI. The biggest complaint I've been hearing here is that "Oh noes, the event triggers don't check for this really trivial thing and forces me to take unrealistic actions". Why one needs to develop a dynamic event system rather than perform a handful of if then checks with event calls is beyond me. Mexico shouldn't be forced to default on loans? Make on of the triggers check Mexican income and credit. Turkey isn't oppressing the Slavs? Make a trigger check the religious set up of the Ottomans one of the triggers. For the handful of games where a random minor behave ahistorically? What of it - it is infrequent enough we can just call it a long MTTH.

I'd far rather keep the events linear simply to keep them easier to run, balance, and debug. Yes the game should be responsive, but put that into the AI.

Yes, that's the challenge of game creators.
Most successful games have been harder to create than predecessors.
And with expierence they have they can do it.
I remain doubtful. You are dealing with a geometric progression here and I see no way around staggering amounts of interaction.

The sole reason why CK has a growing (NOT exponentional) need of resource as game progresses is the unnatural growth. Without that there would be a very little rise in resources over game, or none at all.
I'm referring to the growth going from something relatively simple like CK where the number of interacting factors in play is rather low to something like EU where the number is far higher. EU would likely take less resources as the game progresses, mostly due to minors biting the dust, however the increased complexity would be exponentially greater relative to the complexity of CK.

So you call well-known, long-ago-developed, uber-perfected strategies for each nation 'replayability'?
No I call that if I figure out how to win my game doesn't devovle into a repitition of my last one as quickly. In CK once you got to a certain part your past history no longer mattered. Your dynasty was little more than a character string. While I doubt things will ever be that bad in EU, I don't want it to be that a game as Scotland is no different than a game as England once I conqueor the British Ilses. Likewise I prefer it if take a north German minor and take over Scandinavia that such a game is dramaticly different than if I start with Sweden and take over Scandinavia and northern Germany.

Unless you code some things not to be dynamic, link them only to country tags for instance, then it won't matter if you are Denmark having eaten Sweden or Sweden having eaten Denmark. That is what I'm getting at that; that the course of the game is pathway dependant.

In CK each time I play, I must face something new.
Things must really have changed then. When I was playing you'd scrounge around for a ducal title either through marriage, defection, or conquest. Then you'd invariably go beat up a few infidels/pagans to bank up prestige/piety in order to take land through force or treachery from your fellow Christians, lather rinse repeat. Fighting the Duke of Apulia was no different than fighting the Duke of Brittany. The only difference between fighting Genoa and fighting Venice was the wealth of the cities. What exactly is new each time you come? The combat certainly was the same. As were the means by which you could acquire prestige and piety.

The (un)continousity of your point here is confusing.
In EU2 you actually get a sense that you are fighting France. In CK you could be fighting the Capetians or the de Normandies ... and the only difference would be the string containing their name after 100 years of gameplay. Nations and dynasties in CK were meaningless because no matter what the course of history had been, events tended to make every dynasty and nation fall into the same eigenstates.

What I don't want is for EU3 to end the same way. If Albion falls to the Scots then the nation I'm fighting should be Scotland and distinct from England. Fighting Spain should be different than fighting Aragon, even if both hold the same territory.

Jomini said:
EU2 you actually get a sense that you are fighting France. In CK you could be fighting the Capetians or the de Normandies ... and the only difference would be the string containing their name after 100 years of gameplay. Nations and dynasties in CK were meaningless because no matter what the course of history had been, events tended to make every dynasty and nation fall into the same eigenstates.

What I don't want is for EU3 to end the same way. If Albion falls to the Scots then the nation I'm fighting should be Scotland and distinct from England. Fighting Spain should be different than fighting Aragon, even if both hold the same territory.
Though family fighting was how much of EU's time was about. There was no conception of a nation-state. The allegiance of the territories was to the king, not the state. For example, Bourbon vs. Habsburgs, etc.

Jomini said:
So this routine is called once a day for every country in the game for 40 years. Calling it 50 nations world wide that would give 720,000 calls per game? Of course this is not the only revolt to have to be so called, indeed given that it is only five provinces it may be one of the lesser called ones; as opposed to one that ranges over most of China, the HRE, the starting Timirud empire, or Mother Russia. Somehow I think rewriting all the events of EU2 into such a format where every nation gets these checks would be just a touch harsh on the CPU.
This already happens in EU2. Each event is tested and is then "failed" upon the first trigger condition to fail. So actually no difference whatsoever on a 1:1 event check basis. However, in EU2 you need to script one such event for each nation that it could possibly happen to. At present (if memory serves) there are 4 or 5 such duplications, so in fact the single event that Duuk showed would handle the task of 5 EU2 events and require 1/5th the CPU power (assuming that the triggers were correctly written by someone competent enough to ensure that the max trigger failure occurs high in the order).

EDIT: though of course there is some loss back from that gain once the trigger conditions are satisfied, so it would be slightly less efficient than a single EU2 event (though of course it would be less predictable).

Even if the Vic types of nationality is not appropiate for the time. I still think a separation that goes beyond CK/EU2 system of one religion/culture per province is needed.

The weakness can already be seen in CK with the random MTTH conversions, rather than more realistic gradual changes with risks of conflicts.

If not split be nationality, "POPs" could be split by culture and by religion. Though I don't think POPs as in Vic is a good idea, they are not needed like for worker allocations, so some simple percentages or numbers would do fine. To make things even easier, we could round off to nearest 10000. That way many minor cultures will not confuse the overall picture or slow the game down.

Also there is a need for religion trees. Reformed and protestants are closer to eachother than to catholics and they are closer to catholics than to muslims or hindus. A protestant rule should be able to convert or rule a catholic region just fine after quelling the first decade of protest, whereas the protests in a muslim country could last for centuries (for ever).

Last edited:
Though family fighting was how much of EU's time was about. There was no conception of a nation-state. The allegiance of the territories was to the king, not the state. For example, Bourbon vs. Habsburgs, etc.

Yes do let us ignore Cromwell, the Dutch, Venice, Liguria, Novgorad, the Ecclesiastical orders, China, Japan, etc.

If you read the period propoganda it was quite clear that war was against the French, the Capetian king was merely the most aggregious Frenchman.

Jayavarman said:

But you end with a conception of nation-state (or at least of fighting for the state: fighting for France, Spain, England). That is part of what the period was about: starting from Bourbon-Habsburgs, ending with France-Austria.

This already happens in EU2. Each event is tested and is then "failed" upon the first trigger condition to fail. So actually no difference whatsoever on a 1:1 event check basis. However, in EU2 you need to script one such event for each nation that it could possibly happen to. At present (if memory serves) there are 4 or 5 such duplications, so in fact the single event that Duuk showed would handle the task of 5 EU2 events and require 1/5th the CPU power (assuming that the triggers were correctly written by someone competent enough to ensure that the max trigger failure occurs high in the order).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a grand total of 5 or so countries in EUII undergo this check for the Dutch revolts. Other revolts, like the Chinese, are done for one or two nations. Checking every country in the game to see if they meet the requirements for the Dutch revolts is easily an order of magnitude increase over checking merely the European majors + Burgundy. I fail to see how a dynamic engine can both check every possible event against every country in play and not make an order or more of magnitude more calls.

Actually in EU2 you can trigger events based on ownership of a province, regardless of whether it's Spain or China that owns it.

arcorelli said:
But you end with a conception of nation-state (or at least of fighting for the state: fighting for France, Spain, England). That is part of what the period was about: starting from Bourbon-Habsburgs, ending with France-Austria.
That does not come around until Napoleon and the aftermath. Recall the War of the Spanish Succession. The Spanish united behind a Frenchman as their king because it was what their late king willed. Meanwhile, while Louis XIV's forces suffered great loss and defeat towards the end of the war, he refused to concede because the terms would be to war against his own grandson.

Jomini said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a grand total of 5 or so countries in EUII undergo this check for the Dutch revolts. Other revolts, like the Chinese, are done for one or two nations. Checking every country in the game to see if they meet the requirements for the Dutch revolts is easily an order of magnitude increase over checking merely the European majors + Burgundy. I fail to see how a dynamic engine can both check every possible event against every country in play and not make an order or more of magnitude more calls.
You can check them by provine-based events in EU2.

Jomini said:
Yes do let us ignore Cromwell, the Dutch, Venice, Liguria, Novgorad, the Ecclesiastical orders, China, Japan, etc.

If you read the period propoganda it was quite clear that war was against the French, the Capetian king was merely the most aggregious Frenchman.
:rofl:
Japan? Ever hear of Tokugawa, shogunates, and civil war? Japan was a feudal society until the late 19th century. :rofl:
Cromwell? That was very much a religious revolution; and the new Commonwealth failed and lacked legitimacy because no state and the people themselved would recognize regicide.
Any sense of pride through the period was mostly a provincial feeling; not of a nation and race.

Jomini said:
Nopes.

Each event is tested against each country for its trigger conditions. One of those conditions might check if the tag = FRA and if the check returns "false" then it doesn't check any deeper into the trigger, but moves on to the next country. Now in EU2 you have 5 such events, thus you are still checking five events against 70+ countries.

The Duuk version checks to see if province ID=x belongs to the country. The load on that check is essentially identical to the tag check -- (getCountry()-->tag) instead of (getCountry()-->OwnedProvince)) -- and if the check returns "false" then it moves on to the next country...but this way you only cycle through the 70 countries once.

Jayavarman said:
That does not come around until Napoleon and the aftermath. Recall the War of the Spanish Succession. The Spanish united behind a Frenchman as their king because it was what their late king willed.

Nop. That the Castillian (not Spanish) population rallied behind Felipe V was, in part, due to him being saw as the representant of Spain against foreign (portuguese) or, well, 'treacherous' (catalans) enemies. They were not fighting for a 'Bourbon' they were fighting for who they thought was the one fighting for 'Spain'.

And the Dutch fought for their 'patria' a lot (it was the national sentiment what save them in 1672 for example). And I think the Poles fought for Poland and the like.

Nation-states are a product of XIX century, but in the early modern period you don't have simply a dynasty thing. You are not in the 1800's but you also are not in the 1300's

Jomini said:
Which events currently work in such a manner?
Not many offically, but modders use them much miore often.

The reason is intially province = XXX didn't work.

Jayavarman said:
Cromwell? That was very much a religious revolution; and the new Commonwealth failed and lacked legitimacy because no state and the people themselved would recognize regicide.
Any sense of pride through the period was mostly a provincial feeling; not of a nation and race.
Nevertheless, in those cases and others (Dutch republic for instance) loyalty was not focussed on a particular dynasty but on an institution or concept.

Registered said:
Nevertheless, in those cases and others (Dutch republic for instance) loyalty was not focussed on a particular dynasty but on an institution or concept.

You're all right, and you're all wrong, when it comes to nation-states vs. "The King".

Nationalism was a fundamental shift that occurred during this timeframe. In 1453, very little supra-regional affiliation was acknowledged. People were "d'Auverge" before they were French, or Catalan rather than Iberian/Spanish.

What I'd like to see is a mini-pop system (culture/religion per pop, and I can't/don't need to promote/demote them) and when "nationalism" tech becomes available, the "superregional" cultures come into effect. This tech would start in England (since they were "English" long before others) and spread, as well as be discoverable.

In that way, "Catalan" and such would make way to "Spanish" as the POPs were slowly assimilated, etc.

I'd also like POPs assimilation to be gradually affected by centralization, meaning that centralizing your country is a real goal AND a risk... on the one hand, if you centralize your POPs will become "natural" quicker... but centralization also affects minority culture revolt risk, meaning that until they are assimilated they'll hate you.

But, this is all idle chatter until we hear from the Paradoxians. (With any luck, I won't be able to talk about it when I find out ;) )