My 2cents on playing experience as or against Germany

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With all due respect to the OP, if you have 1000+hrs in a game like HoI4, I'd expect very little to be a challenge on default difficulty.

I have well less than half that and I have such a better understanding of the systems than the AI (which is understandable), that it's almost impossible to lose

Reactions:
Well Italy didn't do anything to be even considered in the argument...did they?:D
I recently watched a video by Military History not Visualized about Italy's Forgotten WW2 Victories. They argued that the Italians acted as a huge drain on the Royal Navy. I don't know if this is really enough to call them a good ally, but fighting in the Mediterranean did cost the Royal Navy a lot.

Reactions:
@ .Raptor.

Again the way you put it one wonders how did they even advance an inch anywhere lol.
Not really. I only said it was not the weapons, so what is left?
100000 superb trained NCO's and low Officers, 4000 staffers and the very best 1000 front officers from 1918. Operational they were second to none.
A broad consens with the exception of the very far left for hidden rearmanent, which had already started long before '33.
Leading scientists, over half of scientific papers worldwide were published in German.

First they throw away their 6th research slot, have a look at the emigrated Nobel laureates alone. And people like Nebel, the father of rocket science (and probably more competent than sunnyboy v. Braun)
Then they started to replace/marginalize the very best military high command like v. Fritsch(+), Beck, Wever(+) or Richthoffen with yesmen and/or drugged clowns like Keitel??, Jodl??, Göring???, Udet???? and Raeder...?
They replaced a sober Staatsräson with some abstruse ideological considerations (extreme nationalism didn't work without racism, btw)

Notabene: The consens about rearmanent was still strong, alone about the tempo were disagreements.
So start as land power for example building capital ships, without a) having the fuel, b) having the money, c) having the steel? Which further complicated the relationship to Britain unneccassary at that moment?

Since Clausewitz there were some basic strategic considerations: As a nation without natural borders in the centre of Europe you should avoid a multifront war.
As a nation with limited recources you must avoid a longish war of attrition.
"Russia could only conquered out of her interior", Clausewitz. Ludendorff understood that in 1917.
And a bitter experience from 14/18: The US will follow the money. They will not allow you to crash Britain, because otherwise Britain couldn't pay her dept.

Instead of investing in strategic relevant railways and industry built Autobahn..., stop, that was not a mistake, ok, ehm, built a obscure bomber fleet for political reasons (think how many ICs your starting bombers are worth?).

shall I continue? :)

btw, I gave you a like for your last statement.

----
In short: Oh yes, I think France's fate was already at the wall since 1923.
And even that Germany might have come out of some war halfway victorius, but never ever out of that war which started in '39.
Could they have hold much longer? Yes, at least until August '45. Fat Boy was built for Berlin.

Reactions:
absolutely!
the magic of 100 octane.
Postwar studies showed the japanese fighters were nearly as fast as the US ones - when running with 100 octane.
Thought about a suggestion for giving the US a national spirit, speed + 5% or something like this.
And what if other countries receive USA fuel as Lend lease?

Reactions:
Have you tried ExpertAI 4.0?

I played as Soviets and also was able to simply stop the Germans at the Polish border with ease.

After installing that mod I'm more inclined to turn my brain on as you have to micro your 40W tanks against Germany's 40W tanks. It's really interesting, I'd totally advise you to try it out some time...

Reactions:
With all due respect to the OP, if you have 1000+hrs in a game like HoI4, I'd expect very little to be a challenge on default difficulty.
Its all about what nations you play... two days ago I lost a game, but this game I was playing as Benelux alone against full Germany (which had won in the east). The basegame can present you challanges that I think are nearly impossible to pull of.

The Gerorgian guy didn't halt his general's offence to take over Berlin and have the army focus on Vienna you know.

Out of all of them Hitler was IMO hands down the worst, Germany was the most crippled nation in that time period in terms of leadership.

But hey to each his/her own.
The Georgian guy made his generals compete to try and capture Berlin first, resulting in the Soviet general riled up by him focusing on the end result and no regard for the soldier's live, when a more tactical approach would've yielded the same result but with less casualties. The forced brute force only end up in more unnecessary death.

Reactions:
Hello everyone

So here's the thing, I think of WWII Germany as an unstoppable monster, one that took the combined power of the entire British Empire, United States and the Soviet Union to stop.

So in the game, I want to have fun being a monster as Germany and destroy everything on my path and as any other power, Soviets for example I want to experience being forced into a war with a monster that I'm utterly terrified of.

Here's the problem, I dont feel that way in either scenario.

For example as USSR, I have never been pushed outside of Eastern Poland and the occupied Romanian provinces in any of the games I have ever had....and I have nearly 1000 hours into the game mind you, playing on normal difficulty, no buffs or debuffs either way.

I feel like the devs had it right on the head with org bonus from General Staff but I believe it should be 10 percent at least as opposed to 8.
You have 1000 hours, you should know already AI is bad in this game, either buff up the enemy nations and difficulty, or play with mod. I don't expect paradox to ever make any significant improvement to the AI. Their focus is to pump out new content, they're not interested in improving the AI.

• 3Like
Reactions:
So, Germany had zero chance of pulling off seelowe, so without having the UK agree to peace, there is zero chance Germany wins unless they managed to make an A-bomb to force countries to the negotiating table.

The USSR would have eventually attacked, so them coming into the war is a forgone conclusion. As it happened, no matter what the air war was going to turn against Germany, and as long as they had Italy pulling them into areas wasting resources, they were going to be wasting those resources.

Germany swung above its weight, and got lucky non stop to achieve what they did, however there is no way it would have ever lead to them winning. Even keeping the US out of it would have only slowed it down some, and the warsaw pact would have had all of Europe other than the UK in it.

Germany lacked the ability to supply its army into the USSR, and even the gates of Moscow its supply ability was over extended.

the beginning of the end was Dunkirk, my opinion. Thinking that it was the "fight to the death" isn't based on reality, that just sped up the inevitable
Severely overestimating the British here. Sealion would have been very unlikely to have been pulled off, but if it wasn't for the United States, Britain would have had to fold, Churchillian rhetoric notwithstanding. I am counting Lend-Lease and similar ventures to count as US involvement in the war, as it had just as big (or even more so) of an impact as their actual military actions.
The East is more complicated, but claiming that the Soviets would have just straight off won like that is ridiculous. Without Lend-Lease propping them up, there would have been a strong possibility of Soviets collapsing. If not after the initial invasion, perhaps a year or so down the road- American Lend-Lease provided large quantities of industrial material and a variety of different equipment that people often overlook (trucks, boots etc.) as well as food. Without such support, would the Soviets have been able to replace their grievous losses from Barbarossa? They would have been facing a food shortage, or an equipment shortage as valuable workers would have been pulled from these areas to be thrown in uniform. The provision of such necessary equipment such as trucks also allowed the Soviets to concentrate their heavy industry on the mass production of armored vehicles and aircraft- allowing the impressive rates of production of these machines. Whether or not Germany could keep control over the Soviet Union or other conquests is another story (I would predict a collapse on their part after the Soviet Union), but that is another story.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Without Lend-Lease propping them up, there would have been a strong possibility of Soviets collapsing
The amount of times I've heard this rhetoric is absurd at this point. Yes lend lease helped the soviet union except the only major branch where it was vital was the transportation side of things as the US shipped tons of trains and transport vehicles that would prove vital for offensive operations. Other than that, lend-lease accounted for less than 10% of the other war material the soviets used.

Reactions:
The amount of times I've heard this rhetoric is absurd at this point. Yes lend lease helped the soviet union except the only major branch where it was vital was the transportation side of things as the US shipped tons of trains and transport vehicles that would prove vital for offensive operations. Other than that, lend-lease accounted for less than 10% of the other war material the soviets used.
Read the rest of what I wrote. The tanks and planes they shipped was not what I was talking about, as those had indeed little impact.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Read the rest of what I wrote. The tanks and planes they shipped was not what I was talking about, as those had indeed little impact.
I think you're forgetting that the British had their own lend lease programme to the soviets who (as far as food and rubber material are concerned) provided more to the Soviets in that regard in the earlier years and recently opened a new route in the south (by invading Iran) for easier access to resources that weren't under threat of u-boat attacks.

Hello everyone

So here's the thing, I think of WWII Germany as an unstoppable monster, one that took the combined power of the entire British Empire, United States and the Soviet Union to stop.

So in the game, I want to have fun being a monster as Germany and destroy everything on my path and as any other power, Soviets for example I want to experience being forced into a war with a monster that I'm utterly terrified of.

Here's the problem, I dont feel that way in either scenario.

For example as USSR, I have never been pushed outside of Eastern Poland and the occupied Romanian provinces in any of the games I have ever had....and I have nearly 1000 hours into the game mind you, playing on normal difficulty, no buffs or debuffs either way.

I feel like the devs had it right on the head with org bonus from General Staff but I believe it should be 10 percent at least as opposed to 8.
I draw a line across the soviet union and press go. 2% org will do nothing when you don't know how to play. Germany is buffed far beyond their historical abilities. The battle of France was a fluke. The French had planned a counter attack to counter encircle the extremely thin Germans but they fired their field Marshal and replaced him. The replacement halted the order and by the time he started the counter attack it was far too late. France is nerfed in game because otherwise I would not fall to the Germans and the game would be dull.

Reactions:
Well Italy didn't do anything to be even considered in the argument...did they?:D

Italy had a huge impact - the Med was a substantial drawn on Imperial resources until Sep 1943 (although after Torch, if Italy had been ignored, it could have been less of a drain). Even if Italian arms didn't do anything (and they did plenty), the closure of the Med to shipping increased the transit distance and placed a significant strain on Allied shipping, which made it easier for Germany to apply pressure through its u-boat campaign, and slowed the delivery of resources to Britain.

But what really surprises me about this thread is the complete absence of any mention of Japan. From a strategic resource and military assets perspective, Japan's threat of war, and then entry into it, made life substantially harder for the British Empire. Had Japan been neutral, Germany would have been in a far, far tougher situation. Historically, germany did not 'solo' WW2 in any way, shape or form (Finland, Hungary, Slovakia and Romania also pitched in, while we're at it) - they solo'd Poland, France and the low countries, but that would not have been enough to defeat the British Empire (militarily) alone.

I recently watched a video by Military History not Visualized about Italy's Forgotten WW2 Victories. They argued that the Italians acted as a huge drain on the Royal Navy. I don't know if this is really enough to call them a good ally, but fighting in the Mediterranean did cost the Royal Navy a lot.

Well said :)

Severely overestimating the British here. Sealion would have been very unlikely to have been pulled off, but if it wasn't for the United States, Britain would have had to fold, Churchillian rhetoric notwithstanding. I am counting Lend-Lease and similar ventures to count as US involvement in the war, as it had just as big (or even more so) of an impact as their actual military actions.
As best I recall (and it's been a while, so it might be a bit wobbly), the aggregate industrial and resource potential of the British Empire was greater than that of Germany and the occupied territories (noting that it's harder to gain the full potential of occupied territories). The British Empire alone (outside of developing a nuke, which it was closer to than Germany) was unlikely to defeat Germany, but Germany was similarly unlikely to defeat the British Empire alone. The Empire was also fairly confident of at least strong industrial support from the US (had they not been, I expect that at some point a political solution would have been proposed) - which tips the strategic balance even further against Germany.

It's important to remember that Germany's early victories are on the back of a much larger proportion (and net amount) of GDP being spent on arms in the lead-up to WW2 than in Britain or France. Once the British Empire, it out-produced Germany in the net number of aircraft and naval vessels (and, in both cases, was building, on average, larger aircraft or ships) - it didn't match Germany on AFVs, but it got pretty surprisingly close in terms of net land equipment, particularly when taking into account they built a heap more trucks and artillery pieces.

So unless Germany can knock Britain out quickly, it lacks the industrial capacity to 'roll over the top of them' longer-term, even on its lonesome (as long as Britain takes the war seriously).

• 1Like
Reactions:
i love how ya'll are claiming germany was a superpower based on it's performance against a country which *REFUSED TO FIRE THEIR ARTILLERY BECAUSE THE ENEMY THEN MIGHT SHOOT BACK!!!*

but ight for real tho why argue who wouldve won if X happened?
maybe the ussr wouldve done better if stalin didnt order his army to not retaliate the first week of barberossa?
what if the french generals didnt dismiss the scout that claimed he saw german tanks in the ardennes?
what if germany continued attacking british airbases after the british carried out 1 succesfull bombing run? instead of switching to civilian targets letting the british airforce rebuild.
what if hitler was succesfully assassinated? who survived the attempt against his life because the table between him and the bomb happened to be solid wood.
there are too many factors to consider, even exluding the rediculous ones and only looking at the real flukes of luck. as far as we know, if luck was on someone else's side they wouldve won instead.

Reactions:
I think historicaly, there's a lot of that argument that some people put forward, the idea that basicaly rather than Germany being strong by itself it was the weakness of the allies that contributed to their downfall.

Not to say that you are totally wrong though, of course you are right to a degree but you are calling a nation that basically revolutionalized modern warfare tactically (blitzkrieg) not to mention the innovations like the assault rifles and ect a "fluke".

I strongly disagree, although as you pointed out everyone else was less than idealy prepared I still think Germany was the most powerful nation in that era.
It was only revolutionary in practice, not in theory. "Blitzkrieg" was just old Prussian maneuver warfare doctrine executed with 1940s technology, there was nothing new about it, it was simply that the special circumstances of WW1 (ie machineguns and TNT existed but not, at least until the end, armored vehicles or aircraft) prevented it from being executed properly in constrained terrain, and so when it returned in 1940 thanks to tanks and all-metal monoplanes it was somewhat of a shock to those who failed to realize that such technology made WW1 a fluke, not the new norm.

Reactions:
It was only revolutionary in practice, not in theory. "Blitzkrieg" was just old Prussian maneuver warfare doctrine executed with 1940s technology, there was nothing new about it, it was simply that the special circumstances of WW1 (ie machineguns and TNT existed but not, at least until the end, armored vehicles or aircraft) prevented it from being executed properly in constrained terrain, and so when it returned in 1940 thanks to tanks and all-metal monoplanes it was somewhat of a shock to those who failed to realize that such technology made WW1 a fluke, not the new norm.
Indeed, though one could argue in this vein that there IS no truly revolutionary theory of warfare. Most doctrines are adapted from other doctrines or are a adaption of older ideas to newer technologies and circumstances.

Reactions:
The comment about Black Ice is not correct. It is not better designed than Vanilla. What it does (if you mouse the various difficulty levels) is make the AI practically immune from attrition, and other HUGE buffs. BICE also gives all countries great starting templates, I never understood why vanilla did not provide the AI with better templates.

Reactions: