My 2cents on playing experience as or against Germany

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

.Raptor.

Banned
24 Badges
Feb 11, 2021
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
Hello everyone

So here's the thing, I think of WWII Germany as an unstoppable monster, one that took the combined power of the entire British Empire, United States and the Soviet Union to stop.

So in the game, I want to have fun being a monster as Germany and destroy everything on my path and as any other power, Soviets for example I want to experience being forced into a war with a monster that I'm utterly terrified of.

Here's the problem, I dont feel that way in either scenario.

For example as USSR, I have never been pushed outside of Eastern Poland and the occupied Romanian provinces in any of the games I have ever had....and I have nearly 1000 hours into the game mind you, playing on normal difficulty, no buffs or debuffs either way.

I feel like the devs had it right on the head with org bonus from General Staff but I believe it should be 10 percent at least as opposed to 8.

Reactions:
I think that Germany is fine.

But honestly at the moment I'm just laughing my ass of because of this thread.

I guess, if some people think that Germany is OP and some people think that Germany is UP, than it is really just fine.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
WWII Germany dominated europe and the combined forces of the French and the UK, It took all of them plus USSR and US, the lets say "bad strategic decisions" from the dude with the weird mustache at the top and Germany's incompetent allies for it to get defeated.

Germany should be hands down the most powerful country in the game, one that needs to be defeated by a well cooperating alliance of nations that overwhlem it from all sides, just like the actual war.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The weird mustache guy was not the only one with "bad strategic decisions". The Georgian guy was also not best strategist out there. Not to mention that France fell even though their army was bigger and better equiped, also because of "bad strategic decisions".

For me, Germany was not the papertiger that other in this forum want to make it, but at the same time, it was not a complete steamroller. The current balancing seems fine, as I already said.

Reactions:
The Gerorgian guy didn't halt his general's offence to take over Berlin and have the army focus on Vienna you know.

Out of all of them Hitler was IMO hands down the worst, Germany was the most crippled nation in that time period in terms of leadership.

But hey to each his/her own.

Reactions:
The Gerorgian guy didn't halt his general's offence to take over Berlin and have the army focus on Vienna you know.

Out of all of them Hitler was IMO hands down the worst, Germany was the most crippled nation in that time period in terms of leadership.

If you dont mind complexity you could try the Black Ice mod, I think they make it a bit tougher for Russia at the outset of war and bring things closer balance wise to historical levels. They also have a nice guide on their steam page to help ease you in.

If you dont mind complexity you could try the Black Ice mod, I think they make it a bit tougher for Russia at the outset of war and bring things closer balance wise to historical levels. They also have a nice guide on their steam page to help ease you in.
Will check it out thanks.

Not to mention that France fell even though their army was bigger and better equiped, also because of "bad strategic decisions".

France has more tanks, artillery and trucks, but they has less divisions, less tank divisions, less men, less air craft, less radios, worse and less AA. So I am not so sure with that "bigger and better equiped". Only some parts are bigger and better equiped: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_France

the dude with the weird mustache at the top and Germany's incompetent allies for it to get defeated
wrong. Germany over achieved and got lucky non stop to start the war, but it was only a matter of time before they lost the war.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not really, after France fell, the German morale was sky high and their generals were predicting an easy victory over Britain who were stuck on their island.

The two big game changers were the entry of the soviets and the USA into the war. After Hitler dismissed his commander in chief after the failed attempt to take moscow and started issueing ridiculous "fight to the death" orders constantly, things just kept going downhill.

Reactions:
The two big game changers were the entry of the soviets and the USA into the war.
So, Germany had zero chance of pulling off seelowe, so without having the UK agree to peace, there is zero chance Germany wins unless they managed to make an A-bomb to force countries to the negotiating table.

The USSR would have eventually attacked, so them coming into the war is a forgone conclusion. As it happened, no matter what the air war was going to turn against Germany, and as long as they had Italy pulling them into areas wasting resources, they were going to be wasting those resources.

Germany swung above its weight, and got lucky non stop to achieve what they did, however there is no way it would have ever lead to them winning. Even keeping the US out of it would have only slowed it down some, and the warsaw pact would have had all of Europe other than the UK in it.

Germany lacked the ability to supply its army into the USSR, and even the gates of Moscow its supply ability was over extended.
ridiculous "fight to the death" orders constantly things just kept going downhill.
the beginning of the end was Dunkirk, my opinion. Thinking that it was the "fight to the death" isn't based on reality, that just sped up the inevitable

Reactions:
I think historicaly, there's a lot of that argument that some people put forward, the idea that basicaly rather than Germany being strong by itself it was the weakness of the allies that contributed to their downfall.

Not to say that you are totally wrong though, of course you are right to a degree but you are calling a nation that basically revolutionalized modern warfare tactically (blitzkrieg) not to mention the innovations like the assault rifles and ect a "fluke".

I strongly disagree, although as you pointed out everyone else was less than idealy prepared I still think Germany was the most powerful nation in that era.

Reactions:
You keep making the mistake thinking it was about just the army, and not realizing they couldn't supply said army...

Reactions:
I think historicaly, there's a lot of that argument that some people put forward, the idea that basicaly rather than Germany being strong by itself it was the weakness of the allies that contributed to their downfall.
True. In theory, France should have hold significant longer. Even the Wehrmacht calculated a much bigger struggle. It was both, I think, an advantage of surprise, tactics and complete inflexibility on the other side.
Not to say that you are totally wrong though, of course you are right to a degree but you are calling a nation that basically revolutionalized modern warfare tactically (blitzkrieg) not to mention the innovations like the assault rifles and ect a "fluke".
It were not the weapons. You mentioned blitzing, which requires mobility - and therefore nonexisting fuel.
During the war, as Had a Dad explained in another thread, Germany outproduced Romania in fuel refining - and that was nearly not enough.
The complete Luftwaffe operates basically on synthetic fuel, but never exceeds more than 6000-7000 operational planes, with on average only half of them in the air on any given day. For all fronts. Not to mention pilot training, air transport. So, more planes wouldn't help because no avgas.
Could Germany have produced more panzers if mobilisizing her industry earlier and more effectively? Yes, probably - but again from where to take the fuel? And the chromium? Or tungsten. Only one example: Why didn't the 6th Army break out of Stalingrad? Or at least fight the incoming T-34 in the steppe? Because they had only fuel for some 15-20 km left. All these Panzers ... scrap metal.
This was symptomatic: Most of the time the Panzerdivisions were nearly out of fuel.
But at least better arty? Or the Sturmgewehr '44 you mentioned? In theory yes, but how to transport all this additional bullets to the front? More firepower, more supply needed.

I strongly disagree, although as you pointed out everyone else was less than idealy prepared I still think Germany was the most powerful nation in that era.
Tactics without stlategy is the big noise befole doom, Sun Tzu said.

Last edited:
Reactions:

Italy: Am I a joke to you?

• 3Haha
Reactions:
The complete Luftwaffe operates basically on synthetic fuel,
which wasn't good as avgas. One thing that isn't talked about much is that the synth fuel was low octane fuel

Reactions:
absolutely!
the magic of 100 octane.
Postwar studies showed the japanese fighters were nearly as fast as the US ones - when running with 100 octane.
Thought about a suggestion for giving the US a national spirit, speed + 5% or something like this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
True. In theory, France should have hold significant longer. Even the Wehrmacht calculated a much bigger struggle. It was both, I think, an advantage of surprise, tactics and complete inflexibility on the other side.

It were not the weapons. You mentioned blitzing, which requires mobility - and therefore nonexisting fuel.
During the war, as Had a Dad explained in another thread, Germany outproduced Romania in fuel refining - and that was nearly not enough.
The complete Luftwaffe operates basically on synthetic fuel, but never exceeds more than 6000-7000 operational planes, with on average only half of them in the air on any given day. For all fronts. Not to mention pilot training, air transport. So, more planes wouldn't help because no avgas.
Could Germany have produced more panzers if mobilisizing her industry earlier and more effectively? Yes, probably - but again from where to take the fuel? And the chromium? Or tungsten. Only one example: Why didn't the 6th Army break out of Stalingrad? Or at least fight the incoming T-34 in the steppe? Because they had only fuel for some 15-20 km left. All these Panzers ... scrap metal.
This was symptomatic: Most of the time the Panzerdivisions were nearly out of fuel.
But at least better arty? Or the Sturmgewehr '44 you mentioned? In theory yes, but how to transport all this additional bullets to the front? More firepower, more supply needed.

Tactics without stlategy is the big noise befole doom, Sun Tzu said.
Again the way you put it one wonders how did they even advance an inch anywhere lol.

I disagree with the whole fluke thing argument, I tend to think downplaying and belittling your enemy only make you look weaker as opposed to them.

No 41 Barbarossa, not insisting on keeping stalingrad are just 2 of themassive strategic mistakes the Reich made that potentially changed the course of the war.

Mistakes that I think we should all be thankful they made.:)

Reactions: