• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Juanvito

Captain
19 Badges
Aug 20, 2010
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Can there be multiple cities in a single state? Preview map pics suggest that there can, but with buildings and POPs being located at state level, it's a bit confusing how they would work.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Yes, we can see in images this happening

Reactions:
Yes, we can see in images this happening
That's the confusing thing - if urban centers and any factories only effectively exist on the state level, how does the game determine if a state should have several smaller towns, a couple of decent sized cities or one huge metropolis on the map? It might be hardcoded, so for example London, Paris and New York will be almost alone in their states, while places like the Rhineland will have several smaller cities with no single dominant metropolis. Or it may be dynamic, but what factors would influence it? We can only wait until the dev diaries about the map and the state system.

• 8Like
Reactions:
In Vic 2 it was essentially one city per state, as all the urban pops (bureaucrats, clerks and craftsmen) only lived in the capital province.
I don't remember about craftsmen, but capitalists and aristocrats lived in the capital province too.

I would guess that urbanisation level, represented by the urban centre building, will determine how many cities exist in a state. It's unclear how this will interact with specific areas of high centralisation such as London, but around Paris there are the relatively sizeable cities of Orleans, Reims, Chartre, Rouen, Amiens, Pontoise, and Melun (to name a few). And New York has both Newark and Jersey City right next to it (though admittedly in a separate state, they are right next to each other in turn).

My guess would be that these cities are prescripted, though will only appear if urbanisation reaches the right level. That being said, in the screenshot on steam showing Paris, it appears as though the pop makeup of each city changes depending upon who lives there. How the game is tracking this, I don't know.

Reactions:
I can't really see a reason for having multiple cities in a state -- not yet, anyway. Whatever one obtains from having more than one city in the province might just as well be produced by defining several levels of "urbanisation." All will be revealed in the due course of time, one imagines.

I can't really see a reason for having multiple cities in a state -- not yet, anyway. Whatever one obtains from having more than one city in the province might just as well be produced by defining several levels of "urbanisation." All will be revealed in the due course of time, one imagines.
So far it feels like it is mostly for flavor. But, yeah, maybe there is more to it.

One of the earliest screenshots we saw featured the province of Leinster in the east of Ireland. The odd thing was that there was more than one city in the province (three in total iirc), but only Dublin was actually marked.

One of the earliest screenshots we saw featured the province of Leinster in the east of Ireland. The odd thing was that there was more than one city in the province (three in total iirc), but only Dublin was actually marked.

Good catch, looking at the UK image on Steam, theres a bunch of regions with multiple (visual) cities but only 1 with a name tag. Similarly, the region with Bristol has Bath, Plymouth and Exeter without a tag. Then the image of Turkey's Adana region shows all cities with a name tag, so I think there can be multiple cities in a region, but only the main one shows up when you zoom out.

The same for the Scottish lowlands, where Edinburgh is marked as the state capital but Glasglow (historically the more important industrial city) is visible on the map too.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think it would be fantastic to have the opportunity to found or rebuild cities to facilitate growth, in this case represented by the urbanization stat that we have seen in some screenshots. Like in western America or like the garden cities in the U.K.

I think it would be awesome to be able to reduce overcrowding in existing cities and potentially create new ones to grow an underdeveloped state into a new industrial powerhouse. I think it would fit with the "tending the garden" aesthetic.

It has to be, how would you deal with the State Holland otherwise?. With The Hague, Rotterdam, Leiden, Dordrecht, Haarlem and Amsterdam?