• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A couple things;

1. I like what you did with Britainnia. Looks very nice.

2. Do you plan on just editing the starting factions/other titles, or to make this a full overhaul/rebalance mod?

3. On that note, any plans to integrate any mods into this?

A couple things;

1. I like what you did with Britainnia. Looks very nice.

2. Do you plan on just editing the starting factions/other titles, or to make this a full overhaul/rebalance mod?

3. On that note, any plans to integrate any mods into this?

1) Thank you!

2) 0.1a is mostly going to be a starting positions scenario BUT if there's public interest I plan to make it a complete overhaul - and by complete I mean change pretty much everything as I go from buildings and how the economy works, to events to the way wars are fought etc - one step at a time - right now my focus is on finishing a bugfree 1066 setup.

3)Some heraldry mods maybe, also cultural cities I think...other than that I have no idea - I seriously pretty much don't know what good mods are out there and what they do (I haven't much played the game outside of my private mod (I did pass some time with The Prince and Thane because I thought it would be similar to my stuff and it is in some ways hehe)- I'm doing everything from scratch on my own and probably reinventing a lot of wheels while at it. :laugh:

I must say Shaytana, you've more or less convinced me to have a stab at my own alternative history mod. I'm going to jot down some ideas this afternoon, but I'm thinking of knocking together an Old Brythonic culture (basically Welsh but with some tweaks) and spreading it cross most of England.

Obviously having the Roman Empire around (still fairly large but weak and corrupt) with Lombards in Italy and proper Old Franks in France and Germany.

Should be fun. Got any ideas? :D

I must say Shaytana, you've more or less convinced me to have a stab at my own alternative history mod. I'm going to jot down some ideas this afternoon, but I'm thinking of knocking together an Old Brythonic culture (basically Welsh but with some tweaks) and spreading it cross most of England.

Obviously having the Roman Empire around (still fairly large but weak and corrupt) with Lombards in Italy and proper Old Franks in France and Germany.

Should be fun. Got any ideas? :D

Haha nice! I've agonized a lot about the British setup because there's some rather nice mythology there that could be turned into alternate history somewhat hehehehe...I am TRYING VERY HARD to stop myself to not make the ruling dynasty of Brythonia Pendragon :laugh: On a more realistic note I think one key to having an interesting setup is religious splits. When I release it mine is going to be split between Catholics, Pelagians, Celtic Christianity, and Pagans, maybe 3-4 varieties of those... In the future some nice event chains can be thought out too... Arthurian myth stuff can help with some nice quests hehehe.

Also as a note I was originally thinking of having a proper Romano-British state in there (Dumnonia might qualify to a lesser degree), I might rework it and have that in steal some land from Mercia and Wessex.

Yeah I do like the idea of Britain being Romano-British but perhaps with a bit of Norse and Gaelic influence on the outskirts; the Angle, Saxon and Jute invasions having either never happened or been repulsed. I have no idea about what date to start on but I'm certainly only going to have one playable date. I definitely want to have a Varangian culture spread across the northern Rus' lands, and then I'll have Ruthenian in the south and south-east.

The problem with a mod like this is you get loads of great ideas, but it's how to best implement them. You need to take balance into account, and then of course you end up with huge swathes of territory you have no idea what to do with. For example I like the idea of a large but weak Zoroastrian Persian state (perhaps with a sizeable Nestorian heresy?) but I wouldn't know what to do with the Khazar lands. Could be worth adding Khazar as a culture I suppose?

Anyway I should probably stop spamming your thread with my nonsense -- just got a bit excited. :D

Yeah I do like the idea of Britain being Romano-British but perhaps with a bit of Norse and Gaelic influence on the outskirts; the Angle, Saxon and Jute invasions having either never happened or been repulsed. I have no idea about what date to start on but I'm certainly only going to have one playable date. I definitely want to have a Varangian culture spread across the northern Rus' lands, and then I'll have Ruthenian in the south and south-east.

The problem with a mod like this is you get loads of great ideas, but it's how to best implement them. You need to take balance into account, and then of course you end up with huge swathes of territory you have no idea what to do with. For example I like the idea of a large but weak Zoroastrian Persian state (perhaps with a sizeable Nestorian heresy?) but I wouldn't know what to do with the Khazar lands. Could be worth adding Khazar as a culture I suppose?

Anyway I should probably stop spamming your thread with my nonsense -- just got a bit excited. :D

Errr don't stop spamming the thread, some good might come of it. :laugh: Atm in my mod Novgorod is Varangian. Kiev is Russian. My Persia has Manichaeans and Nestorians besides the Zoroastrians. Khazars I haven't touched yet but Jewish Khazaria will be in come release I think.

There is a mod, found here from EU3 that has many alternate histories. I think you could find some use of it. As well as Sleight of Hand, could.

You could also, do a Jewish Khazar state. As that was a historical nation at one point.

Edit : You posted the Jewish Khazar state as I did. Nevermind. :p

Last edited:
About Scandinavia, what about having ALL of Scandinavia fragmented by petty Kingdoms/Jarldoms. This wold mean that we have one Norse culture. If we where to have more Norse culture I wold say to have two type: Western(Norway and Icelandic.... pretty much the same back then) and Eastern(Danish and Swedish... there where some difference but still) but that might be a little unnecessary.

I'm going to have a single Norse culture (with Old Norse names of course) and a separate Gothic culture for Götaland. You could perhaps try that if you're interested.

@SoH

I kow-tow before the greatness of that mod name! :laugh: On Norse - I haven't changed their cultures yet... I might leave them as is for now. (well I guess I added Varangians which should be mentioned here)

@SicilianSaint

I looked at that map seems similar in some ways in that some of those states/cultures are alive and well in both universes. Atm my alternate universe is well thought out and has a clear history behind it, pretty much every corner of it is filled and accounted for with its own plausible timeline(well in my mind, some parts are not implemented, and I am willing to make some changes for fun or because I hear some outrageously fun ideas) so I kind of doubt that mod would make me change things because I'm unsure it's got a detailed history behind its historical situation. Besides my world is A LOT more fragmented than that already hehehe.

@Joel M Bridge
Yes but not in 0.1a. I am bursting with ideas I will most likely steadily implement. I'm kind of holding off on many things because I want to see 1.06 and the new DLC first. If all goes according to plan, it will drastically depart from CK2 gameplay as the versions add up.

@Sujit

Scandinavia is fragmented... well I'll save myself the trouble and say... (drum roll.... pause... drum roll... trumpets!!) EVERYTHING IS FRAGMENTED. :laugh: I will show how next week because I'm reworking it, it's way too messy atm.

================
On Sicily/ Southern Italy area will post that later...I have decided against my original judgement to alter some things there and ressurect something from earlier in my timeline... I did an about turn when it comes to the Italian area and decided that fun > my timeline in this particular case and I am doing something I usually don't like to do - a major reworking of Italy to make it more fun in one particular way. You will see what I mean later.

@SicilianSaint

I recant something. I took another look at that mod map in that post and I was originally looking in the wrong places...an argument could be made that that mod has more fragmentation in some areas than mine lol. Now that I looked at that map more I also noticed that it's got some anachronims(I guess the mod is themed that way) that reach to infinity and beyond hehehe...Cimmeria? Woot! :laugh:

My mod is not about anachronisms per se, it's centered on an alternate universe with a plausible timeline....well arguably so.

===============
And on the "ahem wtf note" I wanted it to be a surprise...but ahhh well... I will reveal my most outrageous survival story when it comes to cultures/states... I guess...that would be... Bactria. Now that's one fun kingdom to play to Pet Shop Boys song Go West! :laugh: There's an impostor Alexandros in Constantinople, but the true Megas Alexandros might come from the East supported by a host of horse archers! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
How will you do Empire? I think that the region empire might be a little wrong. It wold be weird be Emperor of both "The Scandinavian Empire" and "The Holy Roman Empire". My idea wold to have a custom Empire for each Culture, mind you I do not mean that the empire is named after a culture but the empire name originated from the culture.

You could have Scandinavia and Great Britain (England, Scotland and perhaps Wales) as de jure realms of a North Sea Empire. :cool:

@Sujit and SoH

0.1a will most likely be devoid of creatable empires because I want people to see the setup and then they can then make better suggestions concerning creatable empires... and I might listen provided I like them.

As a rule though I kind of want Empires to sound good... sort of like Sassanid Eranshahr... for example a Northern Empire could be called something like The Greater Realm in _scandinavian language of choice_ not sure how that would sound I have to ask a speaker... but I'm thinking we can find some epic sounding _____________ Rike names.

Aside from Vandals and Visigoths, any other Migration-era tribes going to make it into this mod? Maybe an Old Frankish culture, or Germanic Burgundian? Or even the Huns?

I love these sorts of alt-histories, and I can't wait to play this mod.

Aside from Vandals and Visigoths, any other Migration-era tribes going to make it into this mod? Maybe an Old Frankish culture, or Germanic Burgundian? Or even the Huns?

I love these sorts of alt-histories, and I can't wait to play this mod.

You're in luck I'm in love with those peoples... I'll reveal more as I go but... it's safe to say that these additional peoples will be implemented in 0.1a (some stuff depends on how much I wanna rush things EURO2012 might pwn my timeline of intended release hahaha)

-Avars (holy crap they need a nerf atm)
-Burgundians
-Suevi - although I'm thinking I'm gonna rename them to Swebaz

I suggested North Sea Empire as that's what historians sometimes refer to Cnut's empire as -- personally I think it sounds good but people's tastes are different. I'd like to include it myself as a titular empire but I can never seem to get specific titles in a requirement trigger to work so I've never managed to do so. :(

I suggested North Sea Empire as that's what historians sometimes refer to Cnut's empire as -- personally I think it sounds good but people's tastes are different. I'd like to include it myself as a titular empire but I can never seem to get specific titles in a requirement trigger to work so I've never managed to do so. :(

Yep, I kind of like the sound of that tbh... I'm unsure exactly atm on how to implement it, but I might think of something in the future... playing as a Norse state is something I love and to have a grand Empire like that in the works somewhere might be fun... although the first wave of imperial implementation will most likely have a Norse empire centered around traditional Scandinavia...and maybe the Baltic area.

------
On Sicily/South of Italy - I'll most likely get to posting a screenshot of that tomorrow rather than today. :( I got RL-ed and did not manage to re-do what I wanted to... as I said I got a timeline in mind and while there are some grey areas given that I've been thinking of many aspects of this setting for years I could ressurect some stuff from earlier centuries of the timeline and put it in because it's fun... and heck my alternate reality just got its alternate timeline haha. I'm slowly thinking fun implementation > my timeline, so I might re-assess a few things.

==============================
Also I want to note that some things might be surprising - just like Bactria was something I wanted to surprise people with when they load up the mod... because I guess few people expect the Indohellenic Inquisition hehehehe, there might be some other hidden unexpected things around...I can't decide wether to spill the beans or to have people go a bit of whaaat! when they load up the mod and look at the map for the first time hehe... I do assure you that if something unexpected is in there, it does have a rhyme and reason behind its existence - I might get to post some detailed histories in the future when I can take time away from making the mod work. :laugh: