• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This looked interesting until i saw mention of "(new) world of darkness". New..NEW! HEATHEN! HERETIC! BLASPHEMER! You should be staked and left for the sun!

With that being said, this might be quite promising, though it would be very hard to pull off right if you intend to include all the various subgames of WoD into this. Although as was mentioned before, i'd suggest you combine clans and bloodlines for vampires. Making it a Dynasty be a Clan since..they are all bloodlines. That way you end up with 13 specific Clans with a multitude of rulers in various parts of the world. You could also abstract humans into being everywhere anyway and just focus on vampire/werewolf/changling etc kingdoms entirely and once you attract attention, just cause a horde invasion, the horde being humans.

This looked interesting until i saw mention of "(new) world of darkness". New..NEW! HEATHEN! HERETIC! BLASPHEMER! You should be staked and left for the sun!

With that being said, this might be quite promising, though it would be very hard to pull off right if you intend to include all the various subgames of WoD into this. Although as was mentioned before, i'd suggest you combine clans and bloodlines for vampires. Making it a Dynasty be a Clan since..they are all bloodlines. That way you end up with 13 specific Clans with a multitude of rulers in various parts of the world. You could also abstract humans into being everywhere anyway and just focus on vampire/werewolf/changling etc kingdoms entirely and once you attract attention, just cause a horde invasion, the horde being humans.

The idea of Dynasties being Clans is PERFECT! You could use dynasty flags to make them have specific thingies (I think) :D And it would really be true to what it would truly be, I think.

Hehehehe, WoD edition wars, I think that happens with pretty much any rpg, like with D&D edition wars :p I know a bunch of people still prefer OWoD but I happen to like NWoD better. (I can definitely add some stuff from OWoD though where it doesn't conflicts with NWoD, as well as some easter eggs of course).
Also I can guarantee that at least Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, Hunter and Changeling will be in (probably the recent Mummy too). I am still not sure on Geist and Promethean as these play a lot different than the others (even more so with Promethean) but we will see what we can do about it.

And you also got it right about humans, they won't be on map unless you do some crap that alerts them to your presence in events and decisions, some random factor will be involved too, so sometimes you may just be unlucky, in any case an invasion will follow. Some groups such are also more prone to attracting mortal attention due to the fact they often disregard the effects of their actions, like Belial's Brood (NWoD version of the worst of the Sabbath), so that also gives you a reason to police your neighbours.

I am not sure about, clan=dynasty though I it is a tempting idea at times but it has both some fortunate and unfortunate implications with CK2 mechanics. Right now they are traits much like werewolf tribes, mage paths, and changeling seemings. (I will keep them as traits but haven't yet decided what I will do with dynasties, I may even leave them as it is, follow your idea, or use them for bloodlines instead of clans in the case of vamps).

Hehehehe, WoD edition wars, I think that happens with pretty much any rpg, like with D&D edition wars :p I know a bunch of people still prefer OWoD but I happen to like NWoD better. (I can definitely add some stuff from OWoD though where it doesn't conflicts with NWoD, as well as some easter eggs of course).
Also I can guarantee that at least Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, Hunter and Changeling will be in (probably the recent Mummy too). I am still not sure on Geist and Promethean as these play a lot different than the others (even more so with Promethean) but we will see what we can do about it.

And you also got it right about humans, they won't be on map unless you do some crap that alerts them to your presence in events and decisions, some random factor will be involved too, so sometimes you may just be unlucky, in any case an invasion will follow. Some groups such are also more prone to attracting mortal attention due to the fact they often disregard the effects of their actions, like Belial's Brood (NWoD version of the worst of the Sabbath), so that also gives you a reason to police your neighbours.

I am not sure about, clan=dynasty though I it is a tempting idea at times but it has both some fortunate and unfortunate implications with CK2 mechanics. Right now they are traits much like werewolf tribes, mage paths, and changeling seemings. (I will keep them as traits but haven't yet decided what I will do with dynasties, I may even leave them as it is, follow your idea, or use them for bloodlines instead of clans in the case of vamps).

Not trying to start a edition war really. But it had to be said, you are basicly contractually obligated to do so if you prefer oWoD over nWoD. :)

The reasoning to make Clans into Dynasties, is because it folds them neatly into several areas, which also makes it easy to see who holds power where. But a better choice might be to make Dynasties be their respective societies. In oWoD terms, Anarchs, Camarilla and Sabbath. That way you again consolidate all vampires into bigger but tighter groups and it allows the illusion of the internal power struggles, especially in the camarilla. As usually it was Clan/Bloodline first, Society second. They all schemed against each other to gain power, using underlings etc, basicly, it simulates the Jihad. Then perhaps add either a trait or a culture for the specific bloodlines, make groups and then subgroups.

Vampire:
-Gangrel
-Malkavian
-Tremere
-etc

The same can be done for werewolves with packs i believe, though for mages it might work a little different due to covens and such. You might be better off entirely to first create one "race" instead of trying to add all of them you have planned. Even with just vampires, if you flesh them out well, you have 13 Bloodlines fighting their Jihad, alot of intrigue, backstabbing and so forth which can make a good game. Add events and eventchains to that and you have a good simulation of the concept of how vampires and vampire society in WoD works without having to worry too much about balancing it with werewolves and mages, which you can do at a later date.

Best to just focus on one thing at a time, flesh that out and make it "feature complete" before you add other "races" essentially. Also means you can get it "done" earlier, then add mages, or mummies or whatever and release the next version which has both and so forth. Balance is key, balancing vampires and werewolves is second to balancing the respective societies internally. Try balancing the 13 Bloodlines before you add mage covens, werewolf packs etc on top of it.

For me, both solutions seem great :) Either Dynasties being the Clans or Dynasties being the Societies. I personally prefer them being Clans, but that's just me.

If you went the OWoD route, or even just had two modes one for NWoD and one for OWoD, you could set up a special event for Cappadocians for the Giovani bloodline's betrayal. Or events/decisions dealing with the binding of Malkavian's Dementation/

Not trying to start a edition war really. But it had to be said, you are basicly contractually obligated to do so if you prefer oWoD over nWoD. :)

The reasoning to make Clans into Dynasties, is because it folds them neatly into several areas, which also makes it easy to see who holds power where. But a better choice might be to make Dynasties be their respective societies. In oWoD terms, Anarchs, Camarilla and Sabbath. That way you again consolidate all vampires into bigger but tighter groups and it allows the illusion of the internal power struggles, especially in the camarilla. As usually it was Clan/Bloodline first, Society second. They all schemed against each other to gain power, using underlings etc, basicly, it simulates the Jihad. Then perhaps add either a trait or a culture for the specific bloodlines, make groups and then subgroups.

Vampire:
-Gangrel
-Malkavian
-Tremere
-etc

The same can be done for werewolves with packs i believe, though for mages it might work a little different due to covens and such. You might be better off entirely to first create one "race" instead of trying to add all of them you have planned. Even with just vampires, if you flesh them out well, you have 13 Bloodlines fighting their Jihad, alot of intrigue, backstabbing and so forth which can make a good game. Add events and eventchains to that and you have a good simulation of the concept of how vampires and vampire society in WoD works without having to worry too much about balancing it with werewolves and mages, which you can do at a later date.

Best to just focus on one thing at a time, flesh that out and make it "feature complete" before you add other "races" essentially. Also means you can get it "done" earlier, then add mages, or mummies or whatever and release the next version which has both and so forth. Balance is key, balancing vampires and werewolves is second to balancing the respective societies internally. Try balancing the 13 Bloodlines before you add mage covens, werewolf packs etc on top of it.

Greatly looking forward to a good WoD mod. That said, A-D.'s points are very valid from a release and revision standpoint (as well as gameplay). While all the various night-critters can function on the CK map/system, the vampires are custom-made for the kind of gameplay the game was crafted to. I strongly suggest focusing first on them, putting the dynamics in order, and then moving on from there. It's a mirror of the CK2 development: first feudal Christian states, then Islam, then Republics, and now Pagans--each with mechanics that change their internal dynamics. Because vampires in WoD mythos hide just below the surface of established society (preferably densest population centers), they map strongly onto the feudal Christian states and will be easiest to model from base CK2.

If you can bring in the events of OWoD that would be a good base for modeling the course of history--I'm not familiar with how detailed the NWoD is for the middle ages.

Good luck!

--Khanwulf

A general rule of thumb for WoD is that NWoD has better game mechanics, but OWoD has a more interesting world, story, and general atmosphere.
Mostly because OWoD was made primarily for interacting with said world, where as NWoD was made to actually be fun with the rules.

More graphics stuff done, not much but done anyway. Now I need some help with religious icons, can someone explain what I have to do to make them work properly?
Also I will be back to trait modding soon and once I am done I will move to creating characters and rearranging the political map.

More graphics stuff done, not much but done anyway. Now I need some help with religious icons, can someone explain what I have to do to make them work properly?
Also I will be back to trait modding soon and once I am done I will move to creating characters and rearranging the political map.

generalstuff.gfx
Look for GFX_religion_icon_strip. You need to change the number of both entries to match the number of frames in your new strip.
To actually add the icons you need to edit the referenced strips; religion_icon_strip.dds and religion_icon_strip_small.dds, or something like that.
Use DXT5 if you're going to save as .dds (higher definition on your alpha).
In the religion files, icon = / heresy_icon = corresponds to the frame number of your icons, the first frame being 1, next 2, 3 etc.

generalstuff.gfx
Look for GFX_religion_icon_strip. You need to change the number of both entries to match the number of frames in your new strip.
To actually add the icons you need to edit the referenced strips; religion_icon_strip.dds and religion_icon_strip_small.dds, or something like that.
Use DXT5 if you're going to save as .dds (higher definition on your alpha).
In the religion files, icon = / heresy_icon = corresponds to the frame number of your icons, the first frame being 1, next 2, 3 etc.

Thank you very much Korbah, I was delaying this as it was one of the few things that no matter what I did I couldn't figure it out by myself.
Also keep up your great work on the Elder Kings mod, if this mod goes as well as yours I will be quite happy. :p Also I will soon make a Elder Kings AAR once I finish writing the last "chapter" of Reynes of Castamere. (my current AGoT AAR).

Status
Not open for further replies.