• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi again. I hope I'm not causing any bad feelings by showing up here for a suggestion for a mod which I'm looking forward towards.

My suggestion is to give the religions new forms as the ideology of the various POPs and use the deities, omens and state pantheon system to represent "civic virtues" which states with this ideology are promoting. I believe that could make this part of the Victorian Age more interactive with the players and also allow for both utilitarian as well as thematic playthroughs.

Reactions:
Hi again. I hope I'm not causing any bad feelings by showing up here for a suggestion for a mod which I'm looking forward towards.

My suggestion is to give the religions new forms as the ideology of the various POPs and use the deities, omens and state pantheon system to represent "civic virtues" which states with this ideology are promoting. I believe that could make this part of the Victorian Age more interactive with the players and also allow for both utilitarian as well as thematic playthroughs.
That's an interesting suggestion, and something we have considered.

However, the current plan with religion is as follows:
  • Maintain religion as religion, as it remained (as it does to this day) a major political force and we think that most games looking at the 19th century downplay it too much
  • Use deities as religious tolerance / securalism policies, that are unlocked based on which religions pops in your country have.

Political leanings are therefore a separate system that aims to be more complex than religion. We haven't shyed away from totally overhauling any aspect of the game, so creating a brand new game mechanic is not an issue here. Don't worry - ideologies will be included in detail.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Maintain religion as religion, as it remained (as it does to this day) a major political force and we think that most games looking at the 19th century downplay it too much

Thank God, people seem to have this insane idea that the 19th century everyone was Atheist or only culturally religious when that's simply just wrong. Religious belief was very much still a thing and dislike for different religions or even denominations inside their religion was quite common. Victoria III is a perfect representation of that where religion just doesn't matter at all quite frankly. There's no in-game struggle over religion and it's greatly disappointing. Where is the appeal to crusade in the Crimean War or jihad in The Great War? There's a reason the bloc between Berlin-Moscow-Vienna was dubbed the Holy League and pushed for conservative Christian values against rising liberalism and secularism in Britain and France. Very happy to hear that the mod's development team is taking religion seriously and look forward to see what you guys come up with. Keep up the good work!

• 5Like
Reactions:
Cool to see the progress on this! Do you have anything to share about politics and government yet? Definitely keeping an eye on the mod.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Cool to see the progress on this! Do you have anything to share about politics and government yet? Definitely keeping an eye on the mod.
Yes! Here is a bit of a teaser about our most recent work on politics and government:

We have implemented the basis of a constitutional monarch / personal union system, so now a country can have a head of state from another country or who is separate to the head of government.

Here are some examples:

United Kingdom, King George III
1684795517786.png

Norway, King Karl XIII von Holstein-Gottorp of Sweden
1684795560389.png

Japan, Emperor Yamato Kokaku separate to the Shogun:
1684795589994.png

View of the internal government overview playing as the Governorate of Livonia, a Russian vassal.

Here the Emperor of Russia is shown as the constitutional monarch, alongside the display of the heads of government:
1684795703870.png

You can also see all the royal titles that a character holds in their character overview:
1684795878879.png

More to show soon, with major advances in economic simulations and graphics.

• 11Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
Very nice!

Reactions:
release the mod already :D

btw, performance wise - how does the game run as is? and, how is the ai, can it use all the new mechanics? :)

ATM we are developing the new systems, so there's not much to say yet. Performance will have to be focused on during the alpha testing, though we are conscious of performance impacts of new systems and we're keeping everything as light as possible using the methods available to us.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Omg, this is really nice :D lovely

Omg, this is really nice :D lovely

Dev Diary 11: New 3D map and portrait graphics
Dev Diary 11: New 3D map and portrait graphics

Hello fellow Imperator fans and Imperatrix followers!

Today we have a lot to show you from our wonderful 3D graphics contributors, Help, OK and Pureon, who have helped to bring the world of Imperatrix to life, and two thousand years in the future from the original start date of Imperator: Rome.

Hi, I'm Help, also known as nugget in some dark corners of the internet, and I've been designing a whole new set of 3D graphical buildings for the mod. It's been an interesting process not only looking for reference images from a time where cameras were a rare sight, but also trying to recreate these buildings and cities somewhat faithfully in Imperator.

As stated this process would begin by gathering reference material, this i would often accomplish by simply googling something along the lines of “1800s madrid” or “1800s cairo”, which seemed to work pretty well most of the time.

Cairo in the 1870s
Middle East and North Africa city set:
Egypt in Imperatrix
oldcairo1870s.jpg
4ObVI2v.png
Rome in the 1840s
Mediterranean city set:
Mexico City in Imperatrix
Mea_WbCxTuCCXqFrcSbtQZoBca9VG8fuwWdEWRttlJE.jpg
n0pwdFM.png

Next was making the models, and that process is relatively simple, just simplify the buildings in the reference photos into boxes and rooftop shapes, taking care not to make the shape too complex.

Texturing these boxes, or “painting” them, was a little more interesting. You need a 512 by 512 image, split into segments with all of the buildings surfaces on it, walls, roof and everything in between. Opting to make my own, but thoroughly lacking in 2D talent, i simply made 3d “walls” and rendered those, using the renders as textures. This might sound a bit cursed, and that is because it is, but its also the best solution I could think of that didn't involve GIMP.

Exporting these models into imperator was also an interesting experience, with its own list of long arbitrary steps, any of which would cause major problems if forgotten.
That whole process was made considerably easier with ross g’s blender .mesh export addon that you can find here: https://github.com/ross-g/io_pdx_mesh. With the help of this tool, and with some trial, error, and help from Pureon, I eventually got the workflow down to a science.

The details of the process are a bit messy, and the documentation is scattered and confusing, so I've been making a google doc to keep track of my process, anyone who's interested can read it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iXKPqFfV9vbiirA5iLV9EBUSAvm47EGIdVLa5BpG5Uc/edit?usp=sharing

Any relevant information will also be added to the Imperator modding wiki.

So far i've made buildings for 3 different styles of city, and a few monuments to fill the map. My most recent endeavours have been making various iterations and improvements to the things i've already added, such as making smaller, less dense buildings for the outskirts of a city, creating a more natural transition from dense urban, to suburban, to country.

Southern England, before outskirts were implemented

dYd8tpb.png

Southern England, now with outskirts

oEnDENP.png

I’ll be sticking around for the foreseeable future helping with any 3d stuff that the mod needs, but for now ill hand the dd over to Sobisonator.

Wonders

Sobisonator here

As well as the city buildings, Help and OK designed for us a beautiful set of historical wonders, some of which will appear at game start and some of which can be built by the player or AI during the course of the game.

Wonders will not have "gamey" effects, but will provide prestige for those who construct and own them.

In France, the buildable Eiffel Tower.

AMoJydh.png

Warsaw has its historic Warsaw castle

7KBegDP.png

In Königsberg, too, the unique castle is represented:

yGsGtXi.png

The Russian capital of St. Petersburg sports the grand Peter & Paul fortress:

QHz2gUW.png

And in Crimea, the buildable Konstantinovskaya Battery:

xvlCkG8.png

The Kaaba has been rendered in excellent detail in Mecca:

RCtxAoC.png

And Washington D.C. is represented by the White House (under repair at the start date, thanks to the British):

0Rfcges.png

More wonders will follow as we gradually populate the world's most famous sites.

Top hats!

As well as building models, we have been making efforts to distinguish our characters more from the base game's ancient-looking models. One unmissable feature of the victorian era is, of course, the top hat. The mod could simply not be released without it, so Pureon went to special lengths to design a full set of top hats each with their own personalities.

To "top off" the end of this dev diary, we offer a gallery of top-hat-sporting gentlemen curated specially for your viewing pleasure:

meqZsgY.png
MegiyJC.png
FR6girr.png
bRmQyGX.png
qomGavs.png
h5Eydip.png
k3lglbC.png
QSHpV70.png

Next time...

We will be releasing another dev diary very soon, which will be our second dev diary on the trade & economy mechanics. Keep your eyes on the thread for more news about prices, demand curves and trade deals.​

• 17Love
  • 6Like
Reactions:
This mod is quite the project and one of the most ambitious mods I've ever seen. I look forward to giving this alternate vision of a Victoria sequel a spin once it's out.

Reactions:
Yes! Here is a bit of a teaser about our most recent work on politics and government:

We have implemented the basis of a constitutional monarch / personal union system, so now a country can have a head of state from another country or who is separate to the head of government.

Here are some examples:

United Kingdom, King George III
View attachment 986747

Norway, King Karl XIII von Holstein-Gottorp of Sweden
View attachment 986748

Japan, Emperor Yamato Kokaku separate to the Shogun:
View attachment 986749

View of the internal government overview playing as the Governorate of Livonia, a Russian vassal.

Here the Emperor of Russia is shown as the constitutional monarch, alongside the display of the heads of government:
View attachment 986750

You can also see all the royal titles that a character holds in their character overview:
View attachment 986752

More to show soon, with major advances in economic simulations and graphics.
As someone who has played a good amount of Imperator and even more Victoria 3, this mod is already looking better than the actual game. This is such a ridiculously good initiative, didn’t know how much I needed it until I saw it!

I was wondering if there will be some sort of mechanic or railroading to make Karl XIV Johan Bernadotte the king of Sweden and Norway as he was chosen as Crown Prince to the heirless Karl XIII. It’s a cool and important historical happening that would be cool to see represented. Victoria 3 does a poor job with monarchies in general as it lacks a family system like Imperator or Crusader Kings. The Kings of Sweden in Victoria 3 remain French throughout the entire game simply because Karl Johan was French, same with Otto of Greece who was of German culture. From what I’ve seen of this mod, it seems to blow Victoria 3 out of water.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was wondering if there will be some sort of mechanic or railroading to make Karl XIV Johan Bernadotte the king of Sweden and Norway as he was chosen as Crown Prince to the heirless Karl XIII. It’s a cool and important historical happening that would be cool to see represented. Victoria 3 does a poor job with monarchies in general as it lacks a family system like Imperator or Crusader Kings. The Kings of Sweden in Victoria 3 remain French throughout the entire game simply because Karl Johan was French, same with Otto of Greece who was of German culture. From what I’ve seen of this mod, it seems to blow Victoria 3 out of water.

We want to represent monarchies in depth. I think the temptation is to focus on constitutional states because it is a trend of the time period, but that risks oversimplifying older forms of government.

As you can see from our earlier preview of personal union mechanics (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/mod-imperatrix-victoria.1410441/post-28958928) we are exploiting Imperator's deeper character system to give depth to monarchies.

While there are no specific plans for Sweden yet, be assured that mechanics of the mod are being designed as dynamic, leaving more room to pour real description and love into flavour. The election of a monarch in the absence of a clear heir will be one of these dynamic mechanics that should not only apply to Sweden, and we would set up the starting situation in Sweden to simply make Bernadotte the most favourable candidate, rather than railroading his appointment. It is more interesting to have alternate histories play out, or if you were playing a monarchy elsewhere, to have similar unusual situations crop up where a foreign politician or general may be placed in power.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Glad to see development of this mod is continuing! I don't own Imperator but I'd get it just to try this mod when it eventually releases! Already looks better than Vicky 3 in my opinion.

Reactions:
I think its time to get some more life into this thread.

Do the dev team have any ideas as of yet on how to handle the changing role and circumstances of cavalry in 19th century warfare? There's alot of newer material written on this subject to challenge old dogma and thus I am very interested, being a cavalry enthusiast myself, for how this will be handled in the mod.

Reactions: