• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Version v.1.1.97 - Download HERE

Fixes & Tweaks:

- Debate events can now happen to characters with age > 11 (before it was only to adults) as long as they are either Genius, Quick, Bright, Ambitious or Willful and neither Imbecile, Slow, Dim nor Content
- The largest of the Smuggler Operations now give the right amount of gold to the player (4 monthly). Was giving 0.
- Those not playing with HIP were experiencing the pregancy bug once again as I removed the fix done before convinced Paradox had solved the bug with stillbirths. The fix is going to be permanent now so, no more pregnancy bug.
- Fixed a description in the action to Incriminate someone (available using the Intrigue option when the spouse asks to clear a friend's name that has been Framed)
- Fixed a scope for a modifier that was supposed to be increasing the chances of a former first spouse that was demoted to kill the husband/wife
- Fixed a scope for 4 modifiers that were affecting the frequency of the AI deciding to replace the first spouse under different conditions
- Fixed a series of event targets that were being wrongle assigned and that caused all sortas of troubles to the Lending money decisions
- Fixed a clean up event on the Lend Gold implementation
- Fixed an event in the Migration event pool where random buildings were not being destroyed as they were supposed
- Fixed a "Love Healing" modifier in the Spouses event pool that was not being applied
- Fixed text in the description of the event "The Great Escape"
- Fixed a typo in "A Bloody Dinner" event description
- Improved the text of the description of the event "An Old Debt"
- Turned more clear how the Loans asked by targeted decision work by rewording the description of the payment event
- Cleared 4 flags that were not being reset if the player decided to refuse the conditions offered for the loan requested
- The decision for the AI to lend money to the player when he asks using a targeted decision now considers the present treasury of the player. Sums lower than -250 gold will incur ever bigger chances of AI refusal.
- With miscarriages, in a few instances the mother was kept in hidding after suffering the event. No more.
- Manipulative Spouse now is immediately removed if the relevant spouse dies or is divorced

New Content:

- Added another event pool on the "Spouses" event set. This time the spouse decides to make a voyage to exotic lands...

Last edited:
You can expect this week version available in the previous post to have a new event pool regarding some antics of the player's spouse. In this case he/she decides to fulfill his/her dream and go on a long voyage to know different religions and cultures...
Now, everything would be nice if it would not make the ruler (if he is male) look bad as he is allowing a female to decide on something as important as a long journey (if the gender realm laws are not advanced). Besides, with a higher station and facing a challenge to his/her ruler power, Prestige loss also matters if this plan goes forward.
There are some things the player might do to influence the outcome of this event pool, of course.

Here is the starting event:

cJeKFam.jpg

The following is one of the results of trying to convince your spouse to reconsider her ideas... In this case, all went well and in fact some good results came out of all this story. Meanwhile, in this case, the voyage has not taken place...

o9CBj5x.jpg

Get ready for an event pool with many different decision points and about 15 different outcomes that will depend on probabilities the player can always influence.

Dark Ages Tip: Always read the tooltips

Last edited:
So, this Friday Dark Ages will include another of the spouse's event pools. This time the player starts... in bed! ;)

M6jL47m.jpg

You can expect lots of different outcomes, heavily dependent on your choices, your traits and the traits and opinions of your spouse...
You can also count on the event pool to differentiate between gender and take into account the status of women in your domains.
As always the event is quite modular, allowing the spouse to pick different positions or the offer of the final option to be different every time the event appears.

In a few weeks, after the entire spouses event pool is finished, I'd like the player to think twice about what spouse he/she will pick, in terms of traits... All in all, a way to add more depth and immersion to the marriage game.

Hope you all enjoy.

Last edited:
Any chance you could create a game rule to set the rank of AI that are able to propose non-aggression pacts, or the frequency? As is, I get what is essentially spam mail from barons across the map.

Any chance you could create a game rule to set the rank of AI that are able to propose non-aggression pacts, or the frequency? As is, I get what is essentially spam mail from barons across the map.

Actually, I'll fix it for the next version on Friday by allowing the AI to only offer NAPs if at least they are of the same rank as the receiver.
Another item to add at the extensive list of "Fixes & Tweaks" covered.

Ended up being a bit different.

Regarding the AI
, if the Lord offering the pact is a Count he can only offer the NAP to another Count. If the Lord offering the pact is a Duke he can offer the NAP to another Count or Duke. if the Lord offering the pact is a King he can offer the NAP to a Duke, a King or an Emperor. Finally, if the Lord offering the pact is an Emperor he can offer the NAP to another Emperor or to a King.

For the player, his tier vs the tier of the receiver of the proposal heavily influences the refusal rate. But it will not be impossible - only very difficult - that a Count establishes a NAP with an Emperor.

Both for AI and for the players, Barons cannot send or receive NAP proposals.

Ended up being a bit different.

Regarding the AI
, if the Lord offering the pact is a Count he can only offer the NAP to another Count. If the Lord offering the pact is a Duke he can offer the NAP to another Count or Duke. if the Lord offering the pact is a King he can offer the NAP to a Duke, a King or an Emperor. Finally, if the Lord offering the pact is an Emperor he can offer the NAP to another Emperor or to a King.

For the player, his tier vs the tier of the receiver of the proposal heavily influences the refusal rate. But it will not be impossible - only very difficult - that a Count establishes a NAP with an Emperor.

Both for AI and for the players, Barons cannot send or receive NAP proposals.
Nice, good to know that I wasn't crazy ;)

Nice, good to know that I wasn't crazy ;)

It is enshrined in the Book of Knowledge of Dark Ages that only crazy people living in places of great ancient History have access to future versions of the mod. Now draw your conclusions...

It is enshrined in the Book of Knowledge of Dark Ages that only crazy people living in places of great ancient History have access to future versions of the mod. Now draw your conclusions...

I can afford a little bit of craziness then ;)

This does not happen in vanilla as the chances of Stillbirth are 0%. In Dark Ages the chances are different as it seems to me a nice, realistic and immersive effect to have. Now, recently I removed my fix for this issue as I was not detecting the bug anymore. It turned out it was HIP - and I play with it - that was fixing the issue.
Just figured I would let you know the HIP devs found the stillbirth chance can causes crashes.

MAJOR FIXES:
  • Crashing on the current CK2 patch 3.3.0 (64-bit) has been eliminated. There is a bug in the 64-bit hard-code regarding when any nonzero chance of stillborn children (NDefines.NCharacter.INFANT_DEATH_CHANCE) is used; vanilla doesn't use the feature (sets it to zero chance). This took an absolutely grueling process of elimination to determine.
    • Consequently, we will not feature stillbirths for the time being.

Just figured I would let you know the HIP devs found the stillbirth chance can causes crashes.

Now this is very important info. Thx very much for the heads up.

Wow, from which update is the changelog?
Cause I'm having crashes lately.
PS
I guess the crashes were from Dark Age, cause I have HIP's latest alpha, so I already have the fix in my latest games.

Guys, if you already have 3.3.1 and facing map and mod issues, go back to 3.3.0. They broke something as it seems. Check the steam CK2's discussion page for more info.

Well, you'll have no more CTDs from tomorrow onward as I already removed the chance to stillbirths in new version. I upped a bit the chance of miscarriages to compensate.

However, @Black_Rider , if you use the release version of HIP you will continue to experience the crashes even without Dark Ages as the fix for HIP is only included in the latest beta version.

All in all and concerning Dark Ages, from tomorrow on you will not be experiencing more CTDs due to this stillbirth bug in Paradox code. A free beer to @HandicapdHippo for informing us of this!

Version v.1.1.98 - Download HERE

Fixes & Tweaks:

- In the "Wanderlust" event, reduced the maximum number of days the spouse will be travelling under certain conditions (if he/she rebels and goes anyway)
- Added the Lack of Harmony modifiers if the spouse dream of going on a big voyage is shattered by the player's decisions
- The AI now uses traits and other game data to evaluate what option to favour in the "Wanderlust" event
- The Demesne Overseer now can't be "imported" from other Realm through invitation or his/her move to the player's Court. He/she will lose the post soon after arriving.
- An independent Lord cannot be a Demesne Overseer
- There can't be more than a single Demesne Overseer in the Realm
- Increased by 18% the base probability of Spouse events happening
- Fixed a typo in "The Meeting" event description
- Added localization for the "Masterful diplomat" opinion
- Negotiating a Non Aggression Pact now should not be instantaneous
- Changed internally how the events are called in the event pool "A Spouse's Request". Now the friend of the spouse will be truly referenced as a friend in the interface
- Downgraded a bit the chances of success in the event pool "A Spouse's Request", if the character is Honest and decides to help the spouse, was too biased for success
- Changed the probabilities of getting "Lack of Harmony" modifiers in "A Spouse's Request" event. Now it is biased towards the lower severity one. However, several spouse's personality traits and the opinion of the player also factor in the final probabilities
- In the event "A Spouse's Request", if the player chooses to use the information to his/her advantage, changed the penalty for not having diplomacy to a bonus for having diplomacy
- Fixed the tooltip explaining the previous point in the event "A Spouse's Request".
- In the event "Winds of Change" now the probabilities are modified negatively (less return from the Smuggler Operation) by the player's low Intrigue or positively (higher return from the Smuggler Operation) by the Spymaster high Intrigue
- A "Framed!" character now has increased chances of suffering a murder attempt
- Reduced significantly the overall occurrence of murders
- Increased the chance a human is the target of a Murder attempt
- Clarified the event "A Special Mission" to explain it is related with the Smuggler Operation the player has running
- Fixed a typo in the tooltip of "A Special Mission" event
- Fixed the CB description that allows a liege to revoke privileges from a vassal through war
- In the CB to allow a liege to revoke privileges from a vassal there was a condition defined with the wrong scope that voided the CB, allowing instead the vassal to declare war on the liege. No more.
- Changed the static 75 cost on the event "Knowledge is Power" to a value with a lower threshold but dynamically calculated
- Lowered by 40% the base chance for the AI to try to Frame other character
- Changed what characters can be Framed by the AI (there were some restrictions that were lifted)
- Increased the Prestige penalty of the big failure of the Frame targeted decision
- Increased the chance a human is the target of a Frame attempt
- The tooltip of the "Frame Character" targeted decision now explains in detail what influences its success
- Now, a "Framed!" character can be rightfully imprisoned by the liege
- Changed to tooltip of the targeted decision to mention the previous point
- Reduced by 50% the willingness of the AI to decide to Finance a Piracy Operation
- Deceitful characters are now more prone to decide to engage in piracy
- Now in order to pick the "Finance a Piracy Operation" decision the character needs to have either 12 in Stewardship or in Martial or in Intrigue. Before the character needed only 8 in Stewardship.
- Picking the "Finance a Piracy Operation" now implies the permanent loss of 1 in Diplomacy
- The modifier "Piracy Sanctioned" now gives a penalty of -2 to Diplomacy. Coupled with the permanent loss in diplomacy detailed in the previous point will bring the whole Diplomacy penalty to -3, in line with what the modifier gave before
- Fixed an instance of the Cruel trait that was being applied twice as a modifier to the calculus of the probability in the second option of the event "Wanderlust". Instead, it should be the Envious trait.
- AI now needs to be at least a Count to offer a NAP
- There are other tier restrictions now for the AI to offer a NAP. For instance, a Count can not offer a NAP to a King anymore. The same goes for Dukes regarding Emperors.
- Increased the willingness of the AI to offer NAPs (to offset the comparative rarity of offers with the previous version)
- Due to a CTD generated by a bug in CK2 3.3.0 (Paradox responsibility) when stillbirths are possible, remove the chance for stillbirths. Thx to HIP guys for detecting the problem and HandicapdHippo for letting me know
- Increased the chance for miscarriages to make up for the removal of stillbirths

New Content:

- Added another event pool to the "Spouses" event set. This time the spouse entertains the notion that he/she can be a Councillor...

Finally, thank you all for your feedback and a word of gratitude to @greek strategos for his feedback on the mod over the last few weeks that helped me debug many different things. Also a word of thanks to @Arko for providing me some pointers regarding a specific implementation a few weeks back.

If you feel the mod deserves it, buy me a coffee:

Last edited:
Ιt was really my pleasure, mate!
Thank you for the wonderful mod, which makes the game much more interesting and fun to play :)

Version v.1.1.99 - Download HERE

Fixes & Tweaks:

- Reduced the probabilities of Spouse events happen as more events are being coded and thus the probability raises by using the same MTTH
- "Lack of Harmony" modifiers can only happen to landed characters now
- Rephrased the title of the modifier that controls how long must thew player wait to increase stability in a demesne province again
- Rephrased the the description of the event "Failure" concerning the attempt to establish a smuggler operation
- Player cannot pick the "Organize a Smuggler Operation" repeatedly anymore. Now only one attempt every 5 years.
- Cleaned four internal flags in the NAPs implementation. Something that I was hunting for some time...
- The cost for NAPs offered is now scaled based on the tier of the character offering the NAP
- Reduced by 80% the AI willingness to pick the life of a pirate
- The event "Religious Bonds" can now only happen between adults
- The decision to promote a debate now carries a cost of 25 Prestige. After all, the ruler encouraging any Councillor to debate with him about a subject is not very Prestigious. Also from a gameplay perspective it is not very sensible this action with potential great benefits costs nothing
- Now only landed characters can be Pirate Lords
- "Appaling [Stat]" modifiers now only affect the Player
- The event "A Talented Individual" now offers more balanced options to make it harder for the player to pick one of them
- Improved the description of the event "A Talented Individual" to explain better to the player what to expect next
- For the AI to offer NAPs now it needs to have at least 66% of the power of the receiver of the proposal
- In answering the proposal for a NAP now the AI considers the power of the character offering the NAP. The better the relqation of power between character the bigger the chances. Thus, a powerless character will be much eager to form a NAP with a powerful one.

New Content:

- Added another event pool to the "Spouses" event set. This time the spouse entertains the notion that he/she can define the Heir education, overruling the chosen one...