• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a problem with the portraits, like if a guy has a hat it is shown on the left side near his shoulders instead on his head. Same with hairs, Many cultures seem to have this problem how can I fix it?

EDIT: I fixed it, low_res_textures=yes in settings messed them up so I changed it back to =no. :)

Last edited:
I have a problem with the portraits, like if a guy has a hat it is shown on the left side near his shoulders instead on his head. Same with hairs, Many cultures seem to have this problem how can I fix it?

EDIT: I fixed it, low_res_textures=yes in settings messed them up so I changed it back to =no. :)
May I ask for a screenshot or two of when things were going wrong?

Is there a compelling historical reason why some other hair asset will be a better fit for the Breton and Welsh?

Because they (Breton) were Romanization or Latinization in the Roman Empire period. And for Welsh I suggest revert back to the Celtic Portraits. That's what I think, it's all up to you.. you're the Dev team.

Because they (Breton) were Romanization or Latinization in the Roman Empire period. And for Welsh I suggest revert back to the Celtic Portraits. That's what I think, it's all up to you.. you're the Dev team.
Come to think of it, Christian Norse hair remains rather overused across Europe, so that was also something to think about. I've just changed the Breton portrait set to use Western hair instead on my end (Iberian hair is too curly IMO). Based on cursory looks at medieval-period manuscripts and illustrations, I certainly don't see why the Breton and Welsh should have such long hairs.

Reactions:
Come to think of it, Christian Norse hair remains rather overused across Europe, so that was also something to think about. I've just changed the Breton portrait set to use Western hair instead on my end (Iberian hair is too curly IMO). Based on cursory looks at medieval-period manuscripts and illustrations, I certainly don't see why the Breton and Welsh should have such long hairs.
The issue I have with Celtic portrait pack is that it seems to 'ancient', these chaps weren't picts and Bretons and Welsh didn't have too many similarities. The clothes remind me too much of Boadicea and ancient picts when the Scots and Welsh probably looked pretty similar to the English. The chap who did the Norse culture revamp had it right with the southern Scots using the English gfx, I highly doubt that Robert de Brus ran around looking like a member of the Iceni tribe.

Reactions:
The issue I have with Celtic portrait pack is that it seems to 'ancient', these chaps weren't picts and Bretons and Welsh didn't have too many similarities. The clothes remind me too much of Boadicea and ancient picts when the Scots and Welsh probably looked pretty similar to the English. The chap who did the Norse culture revamp had it right with the southern Scots using the English gfx, I highly doubt that Robert de Brus ran around looking like a member of the Iceni tribe.
Someone else made a similar point before: "too Dark Age-ish", if I recall the wording correctly. And I certainly agree. Figures depicted in medieval Welsh, Scottish, and Irish manuscripts give me the impression that they may have worn longer clothes and hair than, say, the Normans, but nothing like the Celtic Portrait Pack. If I may add, the Celtic Portrait Pack suffers from anachronistic towards the other direction too - look at those tartans! o_O

With that said, I do want to improve how the Celtic peoples look in CPRplus. Do you have any specific suggestions? You can be creative here - you can indicate which of the clothes or headgear in the Celtic Portrait Pack to keep, how to physically modify the existing hair or beard assets, or which assets from other portrait packs to use instead. Or whether to have two or three portrait sets for cultures in the Celtic culture group, for that matter.

With that said, I do want to improve how the Celtic peoples look in CPRplus. Do you have any specific suggestions? You can be creative here - you can indicate which of the clothes or headgear in the Celtic Portrait Pack to keep, how to physically modify the existing hair or beard assets, or which assets from other portrait packs to use instead. Or whether to have two or three portrait sets for cultures in the Celtic culture group, for that matter.

I do not have the files on me, my laptop with ck2 on it no longer chargers, so I'm using a Toshiba tablet/laptop for university at the moment (it's a bloody nightmare).
I would recommend a different culture for the southern scots, if not then a different late game gfx. The Baliols, Stuarts, Bruces and Comyns were all products of the Norman invasion, a rather good essay is written about this in the book Norman Expansion (Asgater Publishing Ltd, Farnham), ed. Keith J Stringer and Andrew Jotischky. The book is a collection of essays with on the different theatres of Norman expansion, the particular essay I referenced in an essay of my own was called At the Northern Edge: Alba and its Normans by Alexander Grant. Robin Frame also wrote a top one called Ireland after 1169: Barriers to Acculturation on an 'English' Edge, but I digress.
I would suggest that the norse christian hair is a tad ridiculous for both the Bretons and Celts, the Celtic Hair is perhaps fine for the Irish (it would actually go quite well for the Saxons imo). For the Scots I would lean towards either using the 'Englishgfx' or perhaps using western beards and celtic hair. The tartan is indeed a modern thing (or early modern as the Jacobites used it... filthy traitors) and should be replaced with English clothes.
I'm not sure on the Historicity of the crowns either, I would imagine that following the norman invasion the Scots used a pretty similar Western crown, prior to that maybe none at all. We know that James V remade the old crown that was commision for James IV's marriage to Margaret Tudor, but that all happened after the scope of this game (if only a little bit after), and this crown is pretty magnificent with Fleur de Lis on it and made in the fashion of the English Crown with obvious reference to the Auld Alliance and Margaret Tudors' Plantaganet mother.
The issue here is that history diverges as soon as the game starts, yet I usually start around 1100, or even with Henry II on the English throne (not having a Plantagenet in England is weird to me) so the Scots have truly felt the effects of Norman integration by then.
To be honest I'd possibly go for different Early and Late portraits, either that or have them split into two different cultures, after all there were two languages spoken in Scotland, the Scots spoken by the violent borderers (my people on my mothers side) and the Scottish spoken by the savage Highlanders (no bias I swear). The only people the borderers hate more than the english are those pesky Highlanders after all.
Perhaps use assets from the French gfx that you have going, to represent the Frankish influence on them later on, if all else fails the standard Western Clothes make more sense late game than the Celtic ones.
The Irish I'm a tad unfamiliar with, as an Englishman who mainly studies English and Scottish history at university I've only looked at Ireland in the context of the various Anglo-Norman invasions (Anglo if you're Irish catholic, Norman if you're Irish protestant), but I imagine they weren't particularly dark ages like in their attire.

Sorry for the ramble, this post wasn't particularly planned, more of a written version of my thought process.

Reactions:
Sorry for the ramble, this post wasn't particularly planned, more of a written version of my thought process.
Thanks for the comment, ogarrr! I think I have a fairly close idea. How about this:

celticgfx (Irish and Pictish)
Early era (until 950): the same as the default Celtic, except tartans are replaced with assets from the Saxon portrait

Middle era (950 onward): Western headgear, Celtic hair, Western beard, modified Celtic clothes (same as above)

bretongfx (Breton, Scottish, and Welsh [also Cumbric and Cornish in SWMH])
Early era: default Celtic headgear, Celtic hair, Western beard, Saxon clothes

Middle era: Western headgear, Western hair, Western beard, French clothes

norsegaelgfx (Norse-Gael, in EMF and SWMH)
default Celtic headgear, Celtic hair, "Christian" Norse beard, modified Celtic clothes

If need be, I can certainly add late-era variants (1250 onward).

the violent borderers (my people on my mothers side) and the Scottish spoken by the savage Highlanders (no bias I swear).
I think that makes it even. ;)

I think that makes it even. ;)
Well quite, although everyone was violent back then, it takes a special kind of person to be savage ;)

That actually sounds fantastic, I'd forgotten all about the Saxon portrait dlc as I haven't looked at my dlc list for ages. I'd sort of taken the saxons a tad for granted.

I'm not a Breton historian, I only know that in the context of the Norman conquest both the Scottish (and later English as well) Stuarts and English FitzAlans share a common Breton ancestor, and there was a significant number of Bretons who moved to England and Scotland. Obviously there must be some cultural similariy there, "Fitz" is after all of Norman, not Breton origin, whereas "Alan" and "Flaad" (The common ancestor was one 'Alan Fitz Flaad') sound like the opposite (I would guess).
But hey, anyone could be a norman if they wanted to, that was their strength, barely any of them could trace their ancestry back to Norsemen, and most were decidedly French in origins (The Tosny and Montfort families spring to mind). I recently wrote an essay on "Norman Expansion", it was rather interesting looking at their strategy of survival through integration.

That actually sounds fantastic, I'd forgotten all about the Saxon portrait dlc as I haven't looked at my dlc list for ages. I'd sort of taken the saxons a tad for granted.
Below is what I came up with:

IRhY0zL.jpg

Note that I had to revise some parts of the setup I posted yesterday. For example, I switched late-era bretongfx to have French headgear and Western clothes rather than vice versa because the blue royal clothing in the French clothing asset reminded me too much of... the French. Occitan portrait set has that setup now. There is also an early variant of norsegaelgfx, which I didn't bother to post here. It uses the original Celtic headgear.

I should also point out that the Saxon clothes you are seeing in celticgfx and norsegaelgfx characters are ones that I chose to replace the tartans and overly ancient-looking clothes in the original Celtic portrait pack. I thought about replacing king-level headgear in the Celtic portrait with those found in the Saxon portrait pack as well but haven't done so yet. I'm not sure if I should, actually.

Reactions:
Suggestion : To let kings and emperors keep their crown while they are leading the army (only crown, clothes should be changed.) I think this will have a similar function of tiered military headgear, but less computing power.

an example ) Byzantine basileus.

byzantine-emperor.jpg

Last edited:
I should also point out that the Saxon clothes you are seeing in celticgfx and norsegaelgfx characters are ones that I chose to replace the tartans and overly ancient-looking clothes in the original Celtic portrait pack. I thought about replacing king-level headgear in the Celtic portrait with those found in the Saxon portrait pack as well but haven't done so yet. I'm not sure if I should, actually.
That looks top actually, I'm not sure what the source for the king-level headgear of the celtic portrait is, I suppose the one benefit you get from the saxon one is the fleur-de-lis which is rather historical, all things considering.

With regards to crowns in combat, there's not that much to support it historically. I imagine most would wear helmets, also there's an issue with hair. Only the military headgear hides hair, otherwise you get a load of hair sticking out the back of the chainmail which looks atrocious. It would look really cool, but practically I don't think it would work.

Suggestion : To let kings and emperors keep their crown while they are leading the army (only crown, clothes should be changed.) I think this will have a similar function of tiered military headgear, but less computing power.
What a coincidence, I realized this myself too when I was messing around with things yesterday. :D However, aside from the fact that I'm not entirely sure how military helmet-with-a-crown is historically supported, I found several reasons why this can't be a perfect solution. ogarrr just mentioned one of them: you can't have crowns hide hair. Technically you can, but by doing so you make the crowns hide hair at all times, even when not wearing an armor. Of course you can add duplicate crown frames and have only them hide hair, but at that point it defeats the purpose. The other practical reason is that some of the more recent portrait packs use the headgear layer for the entire armor, so those will need to be modified, which will lead to further bloating of the mod.

That looks top actually, I'm not sure what the source for the king-level headgear of the celtic portrait is, I suppose the one benefit you get from the saxon one is the fleur-de-lis which is rather historical, all things considering.
From left to right, top to bottom: DLC Celtic, DLC Saxon, vanilla Western, CPR French, and vanilla Western.

I'm not sure if I got that right - there's fleur-de-lis in Saxon portrait pack assets!? o_O

Reactions:
Those look like fleur-de-lis on the saxon crown to me...
Oh, I've always thought them to be crosses. But you are right, upon zooming in I see that the one on the left looks distinctively fleur-de-lis!

Sorry if it has been asked before, but does this (awesome) mod support Aztec characters by any chance?

Sorry if it has been asked before, but does this (awesome) mod support Aztec characters by any chance?
This mod doesn't change anything about the Aztecs. If you own Sunset Invasion, you get'em. If not, you don't.

This mod doesn't change anything about the Aztecs. If you own Sunset Invasion, you get'em. If not, you don't.
I meant whether their portraits were also redrawn.