[MOD] Brödrafolkens väl - A Swedish politics mod

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Richard Karlsson

Second Lieutenant
60 Badges
Mar 13, 2017
www.richardkarlsson.se
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • PDXCON 2018 "The Baron"
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
thumbnail.png

Link to Historical Swedish Characters Mod

I just published a new mod on the workshop adding 57 Swedish characters for a more immersive gameplay with a historically accurate context. (Whether you yourself prefer to follow the historical path or not is entirely up to you).

Currently all 57 characters are interest group leaders, and they have the following information:
- Name
- Birth date
- Role
- Interest group
- Sex
- Culture
- Religion
- Ideology
- Traits

I'm looking forward to improving this by adding character DNA in the future, as well as adding heirs, commanders, and agitators. I also have some ideas on adding modifiers to adjust the chance of the characters to spawn and character specific modifiers on construction, production, and technology.

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please let me know!

steam_banner_loc.png

-- RULERS / HEIRS --
None

-- COMMANDERS --
None

-- INTEREST GROUP LEADERS --
Almqvist, Carl Jonas Love
Berg, Fridtjuv
Berglund, Carl
Bildt, Gillis
Boström, Erik Gustaf
Branting, Hjalmar
Bremer, Fredrika
Brilioth, Yngve
Danielsson, Anders
De Geer, Louis
Dickson, Robert
Dunker, Henry
Edén, Nils
Eidem, Erling
Ekman, Carl Gustaf
Ekman, Johan Gustaf
Ericsson, John
Ericsson, Nils
Gripenstedt, Johan Gustaf
Göransson, Göran Fredrik
Hamilton, Henning
Hamilton, Raoul
Hammarskjöld, Hjalmar
Hansson, Per Albin
Holmström, Hans Olof
Ifvarsson, Carl
Johansson, Edvard
Key, Emil
Kvarnzelius, Herman
Lagerbjelke, Gustaf
Lagerlöf, Selma
Lindman, Arvid
Lindqvist, Herman
Ljungström, Fredrik
Nyberg, Carl Richard
Persson, Daniel
Petersson, Nils
Posse, Arvid
Reuterdahl, Henrik
Richardy, Charlotta
Rydberg, Viktor
Sparre, Erik Josias
Staaff, Karl
Sterky, Fredrik
Strindberg, August
Strindlund, Gerhard
Sundberg, Anton Niklas
Swartz, Carl
Söderblom, Nathan
Tegnér Esaias
Trygger, Ernst
von Friesen, Sixten
von Rosenstein, Carl
Wallenberg, André Oskar
Wallenberg, Knut
Wallin, Johan Olof
Wägner, Elin

-- AGITATORS --
None

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The number of available/potential interest group leaders over the years (combined for all interest groups) are as follows:

total.png

The look of this graph obviously depends a lot on how the "Earliest usage dates" and "Latest usage dates" are determined.

A wider range of these usage dates would lead to higher bars (=more available characters each year) but it might not make sense to see a character become leader of the devout interest group at the age of 17, or even at the age of 30. I've tried to find a reasonable balance between what might be historically possible, and having as much of an overlap of the characters usage-ranges as possible to add some randomness regarding what characters spawn as new interest group leaders.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Version 1.1

Added a requested character: Fredrik Theodore Borg

Added a new event that displays an introduction to the new Interest Group Leader whenever a new IG Leader is chosen.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Version 1.2

Managed to figure out how to use customized localization (Thank you CaesarVincens!) to be able to have a bit more complex flavor text in the New IG Leader-events.

branting.PNG

rydberg.PNG

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Version 1.3
Updated (Character personality traits and Leader ideologies) to be compatible with version 1.3 and Voice of the People.

Some ideas for potential additions in the future
- Swedish agitators
- Character DNA
- Heirs
- Add ruler bonuses to historical IG Leaders.
- Event introducing the new ruler (King, President, Prime Minister, etc.)
- Event for the Swedish Famine of 1867-1869
- Events, Journal Entries, etc. relating to the Swedish-Norwegian Union.
- Events, Journal Entries, etc. relating to the three major social movements in Sweden during the time period
* Labour movement
* Christian revival movement
* Temperance movement

• 1Like
Reactions:
Version 1.4
Added several heirs and events to make the succession correct.
Added events to introduce the new kings.
Added events to introduce the new heirs.

new_king_oscar.PNG

new_heir_karl.PNG

• 1Like
Reactions:
thumbnail.png

Changed the name from Historical Swedish Characters to Brödrafolkens väl - A Swedish politics mod to better reflect the content of the mod being more of a political improvement in general rather than just adding a lot of characters to the game.

After having added 60-70 historical characters to Sweden, and a few character-related events I thought it was time to create the first major feature of the mod.

banner_union.png

(Not yet implemented!)

The Swedish-Norwegian Union, spanning a large part of the Victoria 3 timeline (1814 to 1905), should play a more significant role for the two countries than what it currently does in game.

The mechanic currently under construction is one of a balancing act from the Swedish perspective between accommodating the Norwegian demands for equal treatment in the union and the Swedish internal opinion that (in some interest groups) were more focused on Swedish rule over a junior partner (Norway).

At game start, a journal entry activates with a progress bar triggering the event "Norwegian declaration of independence" when reaching 100%. The progress bar has a weekly change that can be either positive or negative depending on a number of factors such as:
- King's popularity
- Relative military strength
- Relative Standard of Living
- Swedish country rank
- etc.

The weekly change of the independence progress bar is also dependent on the player's choices in a number of union-related events (triggered by Norwegian demands in the form of Decisions).

There are four major issues of conflict that will appear, and re-appear, over the years.

1. The position of governor-general in Christiania
2. The right for Norwegian ministers to attend negotiations in Stortinget (Norwegian parliament)
3. A clean Norwegian flag with no union symbols
4. A Norwegian consular service

When, and if, the progress bar reaches 100%, a Norwegian Decision becomes available to declare independence from the Union. The chance of them doing so depends on a number of factors. If they decides to do so, an event triggers for Sweden with several options how to respond ranging from accepting the situation to deny them independence (starting a diplomatic play).

As always, any thoughts, recommendations, ideas, and suggestions are much appreciated!

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
thumbnail.png

After a long time with no updates of this mod, I have finally uploaded a new version adding some content relating to the personal union between Sweden and Norway.

banner_union.png

The Swedish-Norwegian Union, spanning a large part of the Victoria 3 timeline (1814 to 1905), should play a more significant role for the two countries than what it currently does in the game.

The mechanic used by this mod is one of a balancing act from the Swedish perspective between accommodating the Norwegian demands for equal treatment in the union and the Swedish internal opinion that (in some interest groups) were more focused on Swedish rule over a junior partner (Norway).

Should Sweden refuse the Norwegian demands, leading to a negative effect on the relation between the two countries? With the increased risk in the future of a Norwegian declaration of independence?

Should Sweden accept the Norwegian demands, leading to a negative effect on the approval of the two interest groups Landowners and Armed Forces? With increased difficulties of enacting new progressive laws as the consequence.

There are four major issues of conflict that will appear, and re-appear, over the years.
1. The position of Governor-General in Christiania
2. The right for Norwegian ministers to attend negotiations in Stortinget (Norwegian parliament)
3. A clean Norwegian flag with no union symbols
4. A Norwegian consular service

For all of these issues of conflict, decisions and events have been added.

As always, any thoughts, recommendations, ideas, and suggestions are much appreciated!

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
thumbnail.png

Currently working on the next update, probably the last one before the new 1.5 version comes out of beta.

This update will add 17 swedish authors to game.
(Other types of artists such as composers, painters, etc. might follow later)

The authors:
  • enter the game at an appropiate time (year) in the game by being added to the void.
  • have interest group affiliation, ideology, personality traits, etc. to reflect the historical characters.
  • can influence politics by their published work, giving prestige or other modifiers to the country or interest groups.
  • can influence the law enactment by lending their support (or criticism) to new laws being suggested dependent on their opinion on the law proposed.
  • can trigger other events related to the author as long as they are in the void.
  • leave the game at an appropiate time (year) in the game by being freed from the void and deleted.

A few necessary adjustments remain before it's ready for Steam Workshop (learning to spell criticize), I will let you know when it's available!

Any ideas or suggestions you have on how to make this mod better are very much appreciated!

author_positive.PNG

author_negative.PNG

bremer1.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
any plans on updating it when 1.5 hits? :) really well made mod. keep it up man.
Thank you! :)

I definitely plan to update it for the 1.5 version. I don't see any major problems doing that, but it will take some time to make sure everything is ok, and that I don't accidentally overwrite any updated files.

I will also make some changes to the AI behavior for the decisions and events related to the Swedish-Norwegian union, making the AI behave (hopefully) more reasonable given the political situation. This will mostly have an effect when not playing as Sweden though.

Version 1.8 now available on Steam

- Updated for game version 1.5.10.
- Adjusted the effects of union event options.
- Added AI behavior for the union events.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Current mod stats
400 unique visitors
50 subscribers
9 favorites
4 positive ratings
0 negative ratings

Low numbers overall, but I'm happy with the subscribers per visitor value (12,5%) as well as the favorites per subscriber value (18%) and the 100% positive rating score.

So, the mod seems to be appreciated by the people using it, but few are interested in it in the first place.

modstatstime.PNG

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just recently found your mod and think it looks quite nice! I didn't get to play with it yet as I am working on my own mod all the time, but if I get to play as Sweden, I will surely try it out!

I think one reason for the low interest in your mod might be that there is another Mod for Sweden that was already there for longer and usually mods with more "mainstream" names also get more interest. Maybe a lot of players think that it is some mod in Swedish. Maybe you could add an addition to the title like 'Brödrafolkens väl - Swedish Flavor Mod' or something similar and see if that changes something?
Another way might be to share your mod on the official Vicky 3 Discord or the Victoria 3 Modding Coop Discord.

On another note, I've seen that you have some authors in your mod. In Morgenröte (my mod) we will add writers sometimes in the future and I usually create character DNAs for them. So if you would be interested, we could probably work together to add the DNA to your mod and the authors to Morgenröte (but I think it will still take some time to get to the writers as we are currently reworking the composers.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

I just recently found your mod and think it looks quite nice! I didn't get to play with it yet as I am working on my own mod all the time, but if I get to play as Sweden, I will surely try it out!

I think one reason for the low interest in your mod might be that there is another Mod for Sweden that was already there for longer and usually mods with more "mainstream" names also get more interest. Maybe a lot of players think that it is some mod in Swedish. Maybe you could add an addition to the title like 'Brödrafolkens väl - Swedish Flavor Mod' or something similar and see if that changes something?
Another way might be to share your mod on the official Vicky 3 Discord or the Victoria 3 Modding Coop Discord.

On another note, I've seen that you have some authors in your mod. In Morgenröte (my mod) we will add writers sometimes in the future and I usually create character DNAs for them. So if you would be interested, we could probably work together to add the DNA to your mod and the authors to Morgenröte (but I think it will still take some time to get to the writers as we are currently reworking the composers.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

The name of the mod might be part of the reason, that's true. And the fact that it's a mod focused (mostly) on a single country might also be something that doesn't attract a lot players.

I'd be happy to work together on the authors. Character DNA is something my mod is (almost completely) missing at the moment, and something that has been on my to-do-list for several months now. The to-do-list in my mod design document currently has 30+ ideas for future improvements/additions. Feel free to send me a message (or mail if you prefer: mail@richardkarlsson.se) when you're ready to add writers to Morgenröte.

I have to admit I haven't played a full campaign with Morgenröte, but I'm very impressed by it and really appreciate that you're adding so much non-military content to the game. Let me know if I can assist you in any way (perhaps by giving you feedback, either from in-game experience or by reading through a mod design document or similar description).

Keep up the good work!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Version 1.9 now available on Steam
Steam Workshop

karlxv.PNG

King Karl XV and his brother Oscar

- Major improvements to the characters appearence
Huge Thank you! to Nirual who created all the DNA:s, and customized outfits. It really improves the mod a lot!

Other minor changes
- AI will not form Scandinavia
- Adjustments to the events related to authors and new laws
- Added event when first railroad is built in Sweden
- Added ruler bonus to Karl XV
- Added loading screens of by Swedish painters of the time

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Version 1.9 now available on Steam
Steam Workshop

karlxv.PNG

King Karl XV and his brother Oscar

- Major improvements to the characters appearence
Huge Thank you! to Nirual who created all the DNA:s, and customized outfits. It really improves the mod a lot!

Other minor changes
- AI will not form Scandinavia
- Adjustments to the events related to authors and new laws
- Added event when first railroad is built in Sweden
- Added ruler bonus to Karl XV
- Added loading screens of by Swedish painters of the time
sweet ill make sure to check it out :)