Minor Critique of the French Focus Tree in la Resistance

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Canadagamer9

Recruit
30 Badges
Nov 11, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
Untitled.png
I noticed that the monarchist branch of the focus tree is mutually exclusive with the branch containing many of the more imperialist and irredentist focuses. Is this really necessary? I sort of want to occupy Wallonia and Quebec as Monarchist France and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm pretty sure the point of this is to include several different ways to expand, and they are supposed to be mutually exclusive. If you want to go imperialist as monarchist France, either go The Legitimate Heir or Proclaim the Third Empire. Orleanist is the route for those who doesn't want to go full imperialist and instead get more internal focuses.

I'm pretty sure the point of this is to include several different ways to expand, and they are supposed to be mutually exclusive. If you want to go imperialist as monarchist France, either go The Legitimate Heir or Proclaim the Third Empire. Orleanist is the route for those who doesn't want to go full imperialist and instead get more internal focuses.
I'm referring particularly to the branch listed under diplomatic freedom. I see no reason why it should be mutually exclusive with the monarchist branches.

Actually there were a lot of economic, industrial and diplomatic achievements during the 2nd empire. Paris was modernized (Haussmann) , the colonial empire greatly expanded, Savoie and Nice were annexed.

But the ignominious end kind of overshadows it all.

And the fact that the second French Empire was ended in a way that birthed the German Empire, setting into motion events that would have an impact over a century later, probably stings a little, too.

The 2nd Empire was established after a time of instabilty, economic and industrial backwardness and diplomatic weakness (1815-1848). The 2nd Empire lasted for 22 years and gave France stability, economic growth and the country did catch up in industrial and scientific development. Also, France became an autonomous great power again : the crimean campaign and above all the Italian campaign (1859) were important successes, leading to the annexation of Savoie and Nice. Napoleon III was vigilant to establish a long friendship with Britain that lasted after the end of the regime. Of course there was the bizarre mexican adventure and the defeat against Prussia, but the German unification was already underway. The defeat of 1871 was less disastrous than 1815 : loss of Alsace lorraine and regime change, but France did not fall under foreign puppeteering.

Napoleon III suffers from the comparison with the First Empire, because it was portrayed as a sad reenactement : but it wasn't.

But the ignominious end kind of overshadows it all.

And the fact that the second French Empire was ended in a way that birthed the German Empire, setting into motion events that would have an impact over a century later, probably stings a little, too.
I'm French. There is that, and in addition, most of today's core French principles were created by the Third Republic who succeeded him: democratic elections, freedom of the press, separation of Church and State. The comparison doesn't do him any favor.

From what we learn at school, he is the guy who overthrew a Republic and was in charge during the industrial revolution. He added Nice and Savoie to France by referendum (a very popular move, even today). Then he ignominously lost Alsace-Lorraine to the German and was replaced by the people who built our free, modern Republic.

Last edited:
From what we learn at school, he is the guy who overthrew a Republic and was in charge during the industrial revolution.

I think I've only ever had him take power in one game of Vic2, despite many hours played as France. I tend to keep the July Monarchy in power the entire game.

3fzi43.jpg

I'm French. There is that, and in addition, most of today's core French principles were created by the Third Republic who succeeded him: democratic elections, freedom of the press, separation of Church and State. The comparison doesn't do him any favor.

And the Third Republic lost much more horribly in 1940. not really a good comparison :D

also, the party most actively willing to go to war in 1870 (yes, there were elections during the late 2nd empire, and the press was liberalized) were the ... republicans (le parti belliqueux), while Napoleon III was more careful.

it's a little bit more subtle than "empire baad... republic goood" (dare I mention the atrocious repression during the 1789-93 revolution ? )

I will add that the establishment of the Third Republic was not very popular, and the most likely outcome in the early 1870's was a return to the bourbon monarchy under what would have been Henry V, and not the sacro-saint republic. Henry refused because he refused the tricolor flag.

Last edited:
it's a little bit more subtle than "empire baad... republic goood" (dare I mention the atrocious repression during the 1789-93 revolution ? )
Besides the fact that Napoléon III wasn't from this period, 19th century Republican and constitutional monarchists alike admired 1789 and despised 1792. By the time of the Terror, it was obvious the ideals of 1789 had been discarded.

I will add that the establishment of the Third Republic was not very popular, and the most likely outcome in the early 1870's was a return to the bourbon monarchy under what would have been Henry V, and not the sacro-saint republic. Henry refused because he refused the tricolor flag.
The emblem of the Revolution, I might add. So what? Third Republic it was, and the comparison turned out to be unfavorable to Napoléon III.

Third Republic it was, and the comparison turned out to be unfavorable to Napoléon III.

On what metric ? the defeat of 1940, under the Third Republic, was way worse than 1871. Also, if you use metric like the universal human rights and so on, the Third republic was no different than the second empire : both were colonialists and nationalistic, and the Third Republic expanded the colonial empire much more. Famous republicans like Jules Ferry believed in racial hierarchy. Interestingly, the monarchists were more often opposed to colonial expansion.

I might add that the late 2nd empire (l'empire libéral) was resembling more and more a constitutional monarchy. That's why Napoleon III and Emile Ollivier failed to avoid the war of 1870, under pressure from the War Party, a lot them being ... Republicans.

Last edited: