• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NejinOniwa

First Lieutenant
32 Badges
Dec 7, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
[Mini-MOD] Council Equality under Cognatic Succession

CURRENT VERSION FOR 1.101. To use with 1.102, add the following lines to the end of the included succession_laws.txt, or simply delete it (and remember to remove the last bracket, to ensure correct syntax):
enatic_succession = {
male_dynasty_opinion = -20
female_dynasty_opinion = 20

potential = {
always = no # For modders only
}
allow = {
always=yes
}
effect = {
gender_succ = enatic
}
revoke_allowed = {
always = no
}
}

enatic_cognatic_succession = {
male_dynasty_opinion = -15
female_dynasty_opinion = 10

potential = {
always = no # For modders only
}
allow = {
always=yes
}
effect = {
gender_succ = enatic_cognatic
}
revoke_allowed = {
always = no
}
}

}
New version 1.1! Changelog:
#1: Due to the revamped gender succession used for Shia muslims, the entire NOT = { religion_group = muslim } set of calls have been removed from job_titles.txt (Lord Spiritual is still the same).
# Generally speaking, everything now depends on whether you have the Equalist trait or not - which most Muslims should never be able to get in the first place, so not much trouble there, really.
#
#2: Characters that are Norse culture, Norse pagan or reformed Norse pagan religion (NOTE: Norse only, not any of the other North Germanic cultures) are always allowed to appoint female stewards.
# This change is for the sake of historical accuracy; in viking households, the women were very much responsible for the economy. Since this only holds true for the Norse and the vikings themselves, this is only passed down to their later sub-cultures if they stay true to the old ways.
# I.E. A Swedish culture Norse Pagan will be able to appoint female stewards, while a Swedish culture Catholic won't. Norse culture characters will always be able to regardless of their religion, but once the culture shift rolls about you're out of luck.
#
#3: Shia Muslims are now allowed to implement Agnatic-Cognatic and True Cognatic succession. While the Ag-Co decision is always visible, the T-Co only becomes available when you have at least 2500 prestige. (I think it works at least)
# This decision was made in reflection of the attitudes of the Fatimids (who were the premier Shia rulers within the scope of the game) of allowing women education, responsibility and in some cases power. A prime example is Arwa al-Sulayhi, the "Little Queen of Sheba", who was the queen regnant of Yemen (and ruled for over 50 years) during the Fatimid years, and was appointed to high positions within the religious hierarchy by the Fatimids themselves.
# BE WARNED that enacting succession laws won't change the fact that muslims still cannot matri-marry; make sure you have a large enough dynasty to "keep it in the family" if you start going the route of Muslim Queen, or you'll be in deep trouble.
#
#4: There's also two optional files included, that you can add to your own PB build at leisure. These are modified e_britannia.txt and e_byzantium.txt, and add some norse/north germanic localization for certain titles in those realms (I made it during a certain rampage as Viking Queen of Ireland and Byzantium, because I could).
# To use them, simply rename the files and place them in common/landed_titles folder where they belong.
WHY THIS MOD?
Currently, defining who is allowed on the council can not be done with laws. Your job_titles.txt doesn't understand the concept of has_law - so in order to, say, allow females into the council in realms under Cognatic succession but not otherwise (which, in my opinion, is rather logical), you have to be a bit roundabout.

CAN I USE THIS MINIMOD, OR PARTS OF IT, IN MY OWN MOD?
Feel free to use any parts of the mod however you wish, as long as you give credit for the mod usage and post an elaborate love letter to me in this thread. But you can do that even if you don't use my mod.

This is a small mod that adds an event that triggers for playable rulers and playable landed vassals of realms under Cognatic Succession. This event gives you the choice of either allowing females on your Council (NOTE: not for muslims, and does not apply for Lord Spiritual) or keeping them out and receiving a small prestige/piety bonus.

I have done this by adding a trait called Equalist that is granted to the ruler if he accepts, and modified the job_titles.txt to allowing women as Chancellor and Steward if their liege has the Equalist trait. Women Marshals (and army leaders) are also allowed, but aside from an Equalist liege they also need a Martial of 13 or above, and one qualifying trait (Skilled Tactician, Brilliant Strategist, Ambitious, Brave, Cruel, Duelist). Spymasters are allowed for all women by default, while Lord Spiritual is on a per-religion basis as per usual.

Everything in this mod should be compatible with any other mod, but the job_titles.txt was modeled from Project Balance/VIET. If you want to use this together with a different mod that changes this file, simply download the minimod and open up job_titles.txt of said mod. In the ALLOW scope of the relevant job titles, replace this line:
is_female = no

With this:
OR = {
is_female = no
liege = { trait = equalist }
}

Or for the more advanced one I used on the Marshal entry:
OR = {
is_female = no
AND = { OR = { trait = cruel
trait = brave
trait = duelist
trait = ambitious
trait = skilled_tactician
trait = brilliant_strategist
}
martial = 13
liege = { trait = equalist }
} }

Then save your new job_titles.txt and replace the one included in the minimod with your own.

This mod now also by default allows female stewards for characters of Norse culture or religion (ONLY Norse/Norse Pagan/Ref. Norse Pagan, NOT other N. Germanics!), and Agnatic-Cognatic / True Cognatic succession for Shia Muslims; both of these changes are for historical reasons (albeit the second one is a bit more dubious than the first).

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• HNCO Equality 1.1.zip
    22,8 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Here are some screenshots of the mod in action.

Notes about mod behavior: Presently there are no AI weights to pick either option depending on personality traits. As it is, the AI will always pick the option that gives the trait. Most likely some work in this direction would be the next step if I want to update this/someone else wants me to. After that, I suppose I could work on making other Male-only ambitions/event chains and whatnot allow women dependent on the Equalist trait. Or, if you are a mod author, you could do it yourself - just credit me for the mod usage - using the method described above (ultimately it is the same allow/trigger conditions that need changing).

Attachments

• 2013-06-08_00005.jpg
    2013-06-08_00005.jpg
    677,6 KB · Views: 365
  • 2013-06-08_00004.jpg
    2013-06-08_00004.jpg
    745,2 KB · Views: 260
  • 2013-06-08_00003.jpg
    2013-06-08_00003.jpg
    701,4 KB · Views: 203
  • 2013-06-08_00002.jpg
    2013-06-08_00002.jpg
    771,1 KB · Views: 174
  • 2013-06-08_00001.jpg
    2013-06-08_00001.jpg
    746,7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I'd like to see a screenshot.

Because pretty pictures sell. :p

Hello everyone. With the release of the Enatic and En/Co succession laws, I'm going to work on expanding this mod into a slightly larger submod rather than the minimod state it is in now. This mod will deal with Matriarchial vs Patriarchal societies, on a mostly trait-based basis. The Equalist trait will be accompanied by the Matriarchist or Patriarchist (or something like that) traits, signifying the gender-preference culture of the society that a character comes from. This will allow a lot of simple triggers to base off whether a character comes from a matriarchal, patriarchal or equal society; for one thing, to allow variable conditions of when and how you can change succession laws.

For example, a character with the Matriarchist trait would have a difficult time going from Cognatic to Ag-Co (similar to how going the other way as a patriarchist character is hard now), while a patriarchist character would have a very difficult time going from Cognatic to any of the Enatic branch laws.

If you have ideas, post them here, or in the new thread when that goes up.

Hello everyone. With the release of the Enatic and En/Co succession laws, I'm going to work on expanding this mod into a slightly larger submod rather than the minimod state it is in now. This mod will deal with Matriarchial vs Patriarchal societies, on a mostly trait-based basis. The Equalist trait will be accompanied by the Matriarchist or Patriarchist (or something like that) traits, signifying the gender-preference culture of the society that a character comes from. This will allow a lot of simple triggers to base off whether a character comes from a matriarchal, patriarchal or equal society; for one thing, to allow variable conditions of when and how you can change succession laws.

For example, a character with the Matriarchist trait would have a difficult time going from Cognatic to Ag-Co (similar to how going the other way as a patriarchist character is hard now), while a patriarchist character would have a very difficult time going from Cognatic to any of the Enatic branch laws.

If you have ideas, post them here, or in the new thread when that goes up.

That sounds pretty nice. Would be good for those who want ahistorical gender equality but want to work for it.