MEGA THREAD: For all Imperator Rome status discussions and latest news

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Latest news from PDX related to Imperator Rome and PDXCON:

• 1Haha
Reactions:
to be fair a lot of us would definatelly come back to the game if there were more content. at the moment the game is rather widespread with a lot of provinces, the issue is that the depth of the game is only deep enough to wet out toes. more provinces does not equal more fun, it gives us extra work if there is no interesting reason for said provinces to exist. The game could benefit massively if they just flesh out a smaller region in the game to eu4 level depth out like italy and push out from there. Like having an Italy DLC then or possibly with carthage so you can play an in debth and interesting rivalry between the two, then maybe get egypt and anatolia fixed followed by greece. To do this justice you would need 2-4 DLC's but then you would have an actual area to play that is interesting and immersive. Paradox would need to be in for the long haul but the game could become so much better as a result and would start to turn profit as the negative reviews would slowly change to positive.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I am wondering how much of the issues surrounding the release of IR and development had to do with the last CEO wanting to develop to many games at once.

As someone who has large personal assets (and quite liquid at the moment) for a normal human being, I'm going to disagree that $20B roughly in market cap is "cheap".

Paradox is large enough that its 40% of the commitment to buy as Twitter. That isn't cheap. And, Musk is already bailing on Twitter.

Even if I poured my entire wealth management portfolio into only Paradox stock (since I am not a hedge fund manager, this would likely lead to some arbitration hearings and my licenses being revoked), I could not buy the firm and take it private or the like.

I have already sent a message to the firm that if development is restarted I'm going to seed the world with 10k copies of the game purchased and given away (this is within my budget) in the first week of the restart. I didn't even get a reply.
It was a joke commenting on the hopelessness of the situation. I think most people instinctively understand that it's not actually cheap. I am really sorry about the misunderstanding, it's all on me, I usually publish in literary magazines and not in English, so I am used to the audience assuming that whatever is written down is never serious. I understand that in the Anglo-Saxon and general western cultures people take things literally more often than I am used to. Mea culpa maxima.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Latest news from PDX related to Imperator Rome and PDXCON:

What he says is no shock. But a PdX employee brazenly joking about how they abandoned Imperator due to their inability to deliver a good product is just unprofessional.

• 11Like
Reactions:
And don't give me that lack of staff ok, I don't see any vacancies open for Imperator the vast majority are localized vacancies.

How about thinking of "arrange" a way to open remote job vacancies hmm? you know I think it's funny that you guys ask if you live in the US when you apply for any vacancy, because if you're not Swedish you have to be North American to work there?!?! You know, you can't just sit around waiting for employees to be born in the countries you want...

There's probably some ridiculous EU or other regulatory/bureaucratic garbage that makes it legally or financially difficult to go outside the EU for hiring.

Now if that's not the problem and it's just a stubborn, backwards inability to accept hiring remote workers for an industry that is 100% remote-compatible... well I should probably not say anything about that decision, since my opinion might get me banned from here.
:D

Well I'll say this - if staffing is really the problem (rather than funding or other), remote hiring is EXACTLY the solution, maybe the only one now (the world is changing). If, after this long, they still haven't solved the staffing issues, I see no reason to believe that conditions will magically change and suddenly solve that problem. In fact remote work is such an obvious solution that I find it hard to believe that hiring is the real problem.

And I've resisted coming to this conclusion for a while, but that seems to leave only a (lack of) financial incentives...

Reactions:
Maybe it's time to try a new business model for Imperator.
If there are enough people interested in financing the development of Imperator (according to steamcharts Imperator has an average of 500 concurrent players) we can propose a pre-sale model to Paradox.
Why don't we create a Kickstarter project to provide Paradox with the necessary initial investment to ensure they will dedicate some time to develop a new DLC? If we are able to gather 50k euros I assume that we would get Paradox on board (maybe they can comment on this figure).
And step by step, who knows, we might bring Imperator back from the ruins.
After all, it is a game with great potential !

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
yea or we wait until they finished the next big project and have enough people they can spare to bring at least a bugfix to it....

• 3Like
Reactions:
This I:R Mega Thread is certainly shrinking in relevance with each passing day. It's almost like the auto-referral to an automated message, if you call Customer Service and ask "that question" - auto-forwarded to the legal statement looping on cue.

"Hey what's going on with Imperator: Rome?" - click, you've been merged into the Mega Thread. Now go and read all 11 pages and counting, of randomly generated questions and concerns about the status of I:R.

I have a suggestion for Paradox and the Community Manager, who I do have sympathy for, that must monitor and manage this thread. Can't we instead just receive auto-referrals to a YouTube video that makes us laugh? I suggest Keyboard Cat, for starters.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Maybe it's time to try a new business model for Imperator.
If there are enough people interested in financing the development of Imperator (according to steamcharts Imperator has an average of 500 concurrent players) we can propose a pre-sale model to Paradox.
Why don't we create a Kickstarter project to provide Paradox with the necessary initial investment to ensure they will dedicate some time to develop a new DLC? If we are able to gather 50k euros I assume that we would get Paradox on board (maybe they can comment on this figure).
And step by step, who knows, we might bring Imperator back from the ruins.
After all, it is a game with great potential !
We were told here that this shouldn't be done and wouldn't help:

Reactions:
We were told here that this shouldn't be done and wouldn't help:

Ah, I hadn't seen this post. It's still maddening to see the pandemic being used to justify everything. It's very practical. Ok 2021 was still shit, but it's June 2022 now, the COVID almost doesn't exist anymore, who are we going to blame now?

• 1Like
Reactions:
You must really like the game!!!
So you basically offer to fund them with 400k presuming that you are to buy the 10k copies at full price (or am I misscalculating something)??? They could probably fund a small team for a year with that money (honestly I don't know how much a developer in Sweden makes). In addition you would be giving free promo to 10k potential players that could be buying the game in the future.
On the other hand I am sure that you realise that the person receiving your mail might be finding your proposition too good to be true / real (no disrespect but for the average Joe it sounds a bit farfetched).
Otherwise and if they are no strings attached I don't think they would have much to lose if they accepted. Loss of prestige if the game failed to take off once again maybe???
In any case if you feel that strongly about it you should recontact them (maybe you already have).
I got a really sizeable check for selling my wealth management firm and have always been an ancient world fan. Perhaps I'm just better off hiring some coders myself and competing though, you're right. But, in general in the past, I have mostly been satisfied with PDX and that is a ton of work I'm not sure I'm interested in (and out of my wheelhouse since my coding is weak at best).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ah, I hadn't seen this post. It's still maddening to see the pandemic being used to justify everything. It's very practical. Ok 2021 was still shit, but it's June 2022 now, the COVID almost doesn't exist anymore, who are we going to blame now?

Yep... like I said above, I doubt anything is going to "improve" more from where it is any time soon, if ever.

Not sure if it's riskier in Europe because they aren't allowed to fire people who don't end up productive, or what (ridiculous concept.. I think there are some crazy rules like that sometimes), but I hope they figure out how to do some remote hiring. I mean there's entire companies that are fully remote these days... !

Reactions:
Yep... like I said above, I doubt anything is going to "improve" more from where it is any time soon, if ever.

Not sure if it's riskier in Europe because they aren't allowed to fire people who don't end up productive, or what (ridiculous concept.. I think there are some crazy rules like that sometimes), but I hope they figure out how to do some remote hiring. I mean there's entire companies that are fully remote these days... !
For the possibility of dismissal it depends on the country and I could only speak of mine and which is not Sweden. But I think you have the wrong problem with remote work. The only problem is what does paradox want to do with imperator. Either they gave it up and we would have to be told (once again we will save time, especially since the holidays are coming for them, which means that we will have no communication, even if it will not change from the previous year.) , either they don't know what to do and it's very serious for a company not to know what to do with one of its products, or they want to continue and it's not the right signs that you're sending by staying in the silence.
We will be able to say the remote positions when we know what is going on, even if they told us that there is a lack of staff (in 2020-2021 it is no longer happening).

Above all they have to speak quickly, one year was already a long time, after September and the PDXCON or imperator will not even be there to represent it will be too long especially if they still tell us that they have problems and that they can't resume development yet. it may be true but no one will listen to them for that and for the rest.

@lukaslunt I think I'm agreeing with you using the lack of remote postings as part of the evidence. It does appear they either have decided to give up on the product or they're unable to make a decision for some reason--because going remote is such an obvious solution. If someone told us they're looking to hire a full remote developer anywhere in the world and they still can't find anyone it would sound absurd. More people want to work remote than ever. Yeah I'm sure the laws vary by country; I wonder what barriers the EU thing throws in.

I talk about the lack of remote openings because it seems like such an obvious solution to solve what their stated problem is. If hiring is the issue, as they've stated, and it's not financial (as they've stated), a too-small pool to recruit from is almost the only thing left. Hell they could probably hire someone right out of these forums if they wanted to! I would even consider joining such a remote team part time if I had the opportunity.

Yeah the state of limbo is getting a bit ridiculous if they are serious about what they said initially.

• 2Like
Reactions:
to be fair a lot of us would definatelly come back to the game if there were more content. at the moment the game is rather widespread with a lot of provinces, the issue is that the depth of the game is only deep enough to wet out toes. more provinces does not equal more fun, it gives us extra work if there is no interesting reason for said provinces to exist. The game could benefit massively if they just flesh out a smaller region in the game to eu4 level depth out like italy and push out from there. Like having an Italy DLC then or possibly with carthage so you can play an in debth and interesting rivalry between the two, then maybe get egypt and anatolia fixed followed by greece. To do this justice you would need 2-4 DLC's but then you would have an actual area to play that is interesting and immersive. Paradox would need to be in for the long haul but the game could become so much better as a result and would start to turn profit as the negative reviews would slowly change to positive.
I'm stealing this from response someone else (GloryGoryByzantium on these forums) but it's to good for me not to.

too many nations feel the same. It's just plain wrong. But the reason is that most of the unique flavor in the world at this time is found in Asia and the Middle East but but Europe is the part of the world that many pdx players spend their time on and least in other games.
To which I say, there are simply too many choices. It is neither possible nor reasonable to make all 40 Gallic tribes feel different. No other PDX game tries to either. The best analogy I have is that of the HRE in EU4. Unless you have some personal historical attachment to a given city-state, the HRE just looks like a patchwork mess. I myself am only interested in maybe three nations within that realm: Holland, Brandeburg, and Austria (the latter being quite large). If any of those other states have unique ideas, I couldn't tell you. And that's the western world in antiquity: all of Europe is Voltaire's Nightmare. It further doesn't help that history shows most of it getting absorbed by a single state and that there's a dirth of written sources for the Celtic forebears.
Instead of Spain, France, England, and Byzantium, we have Seleukids, Antigonids, Ptolemies, and Rome. The large nations in the other games got focused content just like the large nations in Imperator did. It's just that they're not in the location or loom as large in the popular mind as the nations (exoect Rome) of the medieval or early modern periods are. There's no modern successor state to the Seleukids and you have to read about them to appreciate their challenge in cultural assimilation and syncretism. Thus, the difficulty of mass appeal. This is yet another reason Imperator really needed something about Alexander and about Caesar, but alas, timelines.

Honestly I get that they are strained on workers and want to pull off the project. However, when they get more, I do have confidence they’ll come back to it.

If we compare I:R with two recent launches of strategy games (Dune: Spice Wars and Surviving the Aftermath) we can see that player base for I:R isn't that bad:

1655972089276.png

If we consider other games from PDX like EU IV, HOI IV and Victoria II, we can see that I:R is in a niche position like Victoria II:

1655972217455.png

Paradox may well leave the game without more expansions and dedicate resources to other more successful games and to produce new games like they did.

Looking at Crusaders Kings II and III, this may be the best strategy. Paradox already said that in one of the now defunct series of podcasts, that they may develop Imperator: Rome 2 in the future:

1655972466663.png

It is a long way until we get Imperator: Rome IV !

EDIT: Meanwhile, I would like to appeal to the competitive side of PDS: your game should be the one on top of the games with the name ROME in it:

1655972954430.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
If we compare I:R with two recent launches of strategy games (Dune: Spice Wars and Surviving the Aftermath) we can see that player base for I:R isn't that bad:
If PDX returns the development of the game the playerbase will be higher than those games ^^

• 4Like
Reactions: