• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahhh... Over reaction to a previous error in judgement by Gamelin and too much credit for a single success taken by Reynaud, indeed a recipe for disaster.

I am now extremely curious as to exactly who the inquisitors are, and what they originally thought they were going to get out of our protagonist (?) ...

Bafflegab - Looks like your the only one interested, however never fear we will get to the meat of things, even if it just you and me.

Part XII
Part XII

"So the disaster of the Low Countries duly unfolded, our best and fastest armies rushed north, trying to save the Dutch until, when they were most vulnerable, the Germans unleashed their master stroke. Rushing through the supposedly impenetrable Ardennes they smashed Gamelin's covering force and raced through Belgium, capturing Brussels then driving for the sea." The awe in the voice was tangible.

"Would Gamelin have gone so far without Reynaurd's orders? I do not know, though I am sure it was only Reynaud's guilt at issuing that order that kept Gamelin in his job. Ironic is it not? In trying to undermine Gamelin when he was doing his job properly Reynaud forced him to act improperly, thus generating a large clamour that the general be sacked. But by that point Reynaud couldn't sack him or Gamelin would reveal the earlier under-mining."

The heavy started chewing his tongue as he tried to follow the convoluted logic, eventually deciding to give up while the tobacco stained lump he called a tongue was still intact. The voice continued.

"The days and weeks that followed saw Holland then Belgium forced from the war and the better part of two French Armies struggle to escape an ever tightening pocket, to say we were in a panic would be an under statement." The hollow laugh emerged again before the voice continued.

"But Reynaud had a plan, he would call upon the hero Petain to save us! Petain!" The voice dripped venom as it spat the name out.

I'm always reading, though I have nothing constructive to say for the most part. :(

Don't sweat the lack of replies El Pip--I for one wasn't expecting 2 updates in 3 days. : )

"Two French Armies"? Whither the BEF?

If only Reynaud would call in Weygand instead of Petain!

trekaddict - Merely saying you are reading would be most welcome, particularly as this is something of a departure for me. It's reassuring to know more than one person is reading.

C&D - You are alarmingly close to the truth.

DonnieBaseball - This is my short but regular AAR, if I keep it short I can keep up a decentish pace.

Ahh but he can't call Weygand without sacking Gamelin, whereas Petain is a no holds barred hero who can be slotted in at the top with less fuss.

Why do I have this feeling the Vichy government will not form this time around, instead something worse is a-brew?

I was thinking the same. But worse than Vichy? Would our dear Petain do something like directly join the Axis?

as am i. the way i'm feeling at the moment, anything profound i tried to say would make no sense. but i'm enjoying this a lot.

I was thinking the same. But worse than Vichy? Would our dear Petain do something like directly join the Axis?

Petain stands a good chance of beating Hitler off the top spot for anti-semitic dictator. After all he was deporting and discriminating Jews before Hitler compelled Vichy. I fact, I can just see him being so succesful, he becomes a second Napoleon. Only much less egalitarian, and racist.

Interesting on the worse than Vichy discussion... However, we still don't quite know who the heavies are... and where we are in the timeline... if you will. Basically, if it is a group (Petain) that joins the axis, then the heavies are more likely ____? Who needs info from this person that would need to employ a "heavy interrogation" if Petain's group really does join the Axis???

Also, I liked the imagery of the tabacco stained heavy, but I wonder if my revulsion for this individual isn't tainted by our modern society's disdain of all things tobacco related...

Last edited:
Kurt_Steiner - You are thinking a bit too three-dimensionally Kurt my old china.

Incognitia - Woot!

BritishImperial - While profound comments are of course welcome just an 'nice update' is a re-assuring thing to see. :)

C&D - As you say he was, to put it mildly, not a nice chap.

Bafflegab - You have raised an excellent point, where on the timeline this is. I'm not going to say when exactly, but as I suspect people can guess it ain't 1940.

I'm sure your dislike of the poor heavy is indeed due to his tobacco, say 30 years ago his habit would have looked cool and menacing.

Part XIII
Part XIII

"So Petain was appointed Minister for National Defence and I must say I was not happy about his arrival from the start. This is not hindsight talking, nor any claim to special insight at the time, merely an old civil service prejudice against a Minister with no Ministry to guide him. You can't let politicians run off un-supervised, who knows what damage they'll do?" The voiced asked.

The trenchcoat gave another of his thin smiles in response then carried on listening.

"Unfortunately, and against our strenuous advice, Petain was given an alarming degree of latitude and dismissed the help of those in the service who tried to assist. Apparently he wished to be free from 'bureaucratic distractions' and the government cravenly agreed." The voice was laden with contempt.

"It was unfortunate as his mission from Reynaud was an important one, to steady the line, assess the situation and plot a way out of the mess France found herself in. It is no secret the government also hoped his presence would rally both the troops and the country, lifting morale as the people saw the old hero take charge!" The voice paused in reflection.

"I suppose in a twisted way he did just that, just not as everyone hoped."

It is no secret the government also hoped his presence would rally both the troops and the country, lifting morale as the people saw the old hero take charge!" The voice paused in reflection.

"I suppose in a twisted way he did just that, just not as everyone hoped."

"The beatings and killings will continue until morale improves!!!"

That wasn't what they meant?:D

While I can understand the sentiment that brought Petain to power, I most certainly don't agree with it...Still, here's hoping for the best and that my hunch about the identities of certain people is true.

While I can understand the sentiment that brought Petain to power, I most certainly don't agree with it...Still, here's hoping for the best and that my hunch about the identities of certain people is true.

You can't imply that you have a hunch... You have to put it out there now, so that you can be judged for rightness or wrongness when the truth is known later...

An "I told you so" is only valid if in fact you did...

So...things are going historically...and Petain is going to 'roll-over' and surrender to ze Germans, thus precipitating a virtual civil war?

TheExecuter

So Petain did "rally the troops and the country, lifting morale", albeit it in a "twisted way". I doubt surrendering and setting up a German puppet would in any way "rally" any Frenchman, so something else must be brewing ...

El Pip, I mean no harm by this, but your writing is getting a bit too predictable, if you know what I mean. ;)

btw, I claim the 100th post. :p