• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earl Uhtred

Unfurl The Bratwurst
67 Badges
Feb 16, 2002
nope.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
There's a few little things I'd like to lobby for at this stage of design.

Obviously we don't know how big the map's going to be, so can't usefully go into much detail, but some things need preventing at an early stage :p

- No 'The Grampians'. Nobody called those mountains that before some tool misread 'Mons Graupius' in the C19 and felt a pseudo-classical name was more legit than the local ones. And the name wasn't ever officially applied to the region until '74. Truth be told I have something against the word, it grates on me.

- No 'Strathclyde'. Again, nobody called it that between the thirteenth century and 1974. 'Clydesdale' is preferable for the Ayrshire - Lanarkshire - Glasgow region.

- No 'Anglia', another unwelcome legacy of the EU boardgame. Anglia equals England - ask any Pole. The use of 'Anglia' for East Anglia may do for Alan Partridge or privatised train companies but not for The Likes of Us. This would require splitting London off, I suppose, but that's probably something needs doing anyway.

This is pure pedantry of course, but there are more important changes could do to be made. Including putting a border province in Scotland to discourage the weird-looking enclave you often get in Edinburgh after a couple of Anglo-Scots wars.

On the basis of suggestions I made in the EU2 graphics modification forum, XieChengnuo did this, and except that Northumberland shouldn't border Clydesdale and Edinburgh should maybe be 'Lothian', it's perfect, IMO.

britishisles.gif

If anything, england wouldnt achive any level of power atall.
Or atleast that was the case in eu2.

Quickly driven from france and then french and spaniards dividing up the island between them... maybe a few colonies in america, but that was it. A very sad power.. or did anyone ever see england conquering india or colonising australia on its own..?

Brons said:
Imo this would make England way too powerful because they have way too much provinces. If EUIII has the same factory rules as EUII, England could spam its land with factories making it way to strong.

We don't know much of what they've got in store for us yet - no harm chucking some ideas into the arena.

Jimbo_Jools said:
I agree with such ideas. I also like Kasperus' British Isles. :)

I prefer Kasperus' British map. The one given in the original post makes me cringe. Perth province all the way up to Aberdeen and Huntley? Ugh no.

Ayeshteni

viola

screensave05da.jpg

a much better solution for Scotland if you ask me.

Ayeshteni

Ayeshteni said:
viola

screensave05da.jpg

a much better solution for Scotland if you ask me.

Ayeshteni

Disagree, for a start Berwick was conquered by England in 1482 (and formally annexed to England in 1746). Your province border has the little kink for Berwick being the otherside of the border, Berwick is a silly name if you ask me. If we are using regions for provinces then I would have your Berwick province being Dunfries, since that is the largest county in that area. Personally I would ditch the Gailic names, they look crap.

King said:
Disagree, for a start Berwick was conquered by England in 1482 (and formally annexed to England in 1746). Your province border has the little kink for Berwick being the otherside of the border, Berwick is a silly name if you ask me. If we are using regions for provinces then I would have your Berwick province being Dunfries, since that is the largest county in that area. Personally I would ditch the Gailic names, they look crap.

no and no.

Keeping the Gaelic name for the Highlands is VERY fitting, being heavily Gaelicised throughout the period (including the '1745')

Having a 'buffer' province between England and the Scottish Central belt makes a heack of a lot of sense, and 'Berwick' was a constant bone of contention between the two countries for donkeys. (As to the English 'nick' at Berwick that could be ironned out)

Ayeshteni

Ayeshteni said:
no and no.

Keeping the Gaelic name for the Highlands is VERY fitting, being heavily Gaelicised throughout the period (including the '1745')

Having a 'buffer' province between England and the Scottish Central belt makes a heack of a lot of sense, and 'Berwick' was a constant bone of contention between the two countries for donkeys. (As to the English 'nick' at Berwick that could be ironned out)

Ayeshteni

You heavily Gaelicised arguement does not really wash with me. The Russians were heavily into their cyrillic alphabet at that time, shall we print all the Russian province names in cyrillic? All I want is a map with province names I understand, not ones that will win me a game of scrabble.

As for Berwick before anything is decided what you would probably want to ask the great god to tell us, is what naming conventions they will be using for provinces. In HoI it was towns, in CK it was titles, and in EUIII it is .... we 'um .... I don't know. If the naming convention is you name it after a town in a neighbouring province, then I am more than happy for Berwick to be called Berwick. Otherwise I think a new name will be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.