• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Calanctus said:
Getting ahead of ourselves a bit, no? How do we even know the EUIII map will look anything like the EUII one?

Can argue with that, still it helps pass the time. Someday we will know what it looks like, and the arguements can start properly (although no doubt too late).

King said:
As for Berwick before anything is decided what you would probably want to ask the great god to tell us, is what naming conventions they will be using for provinces. In HoI it was towns, in CK it was titles, and in EUIII it is .... we 'um .... I don't know. If the naming convention is you name it after a town in a neighbouring province, then I am more than happy for Berwick to be called Berwick. Otherwise I think a new name will be required.

Agreed, hence Tweeddale. Town names for provinces should be avoided wherever possible unless they're also county names. Berwick is such a one of course, but like you say, the town was English for most of the period.

The priority for me would be getting the Flanders, HRE and Italy areas right for gameplay as they will be the most fluid regions. If regions on the periphery of national fault lines like the British Isles and Spain have to be abstracted slightly or not 100% accurate so be it.

Smirfy said:
The priority for me would be getting the Flanders, HRE and Italy areas right for gameplay as they will be the most fluid regions. If regions on the periphery of national fault lines like the British Isles and Spain have to be abstracted slightly or not 100% accurate so be it.

Oh, I agree. Just want to indulge my Reformation / Civil War obsession in a way that does the theatre some sort of justice.

Smirfy said:

I'll just be delighted if they get the coastline looking alright, anything after that is a bonus.

A few comments:

*Scottish Borders: I'd just call these 'Borders'. 'The Borders' is a common descriptive term, even more so in the good old days when Scottish and Northumbrian Borderers main hobby was stealing each others' sheep.

*London province - surely there must be?

*Midlands. Calling one province the 'midlands' is a cop-out, particularly as part of where it is is more west country than midlands... pick a county name! Herefordshire?

*The pointy bit a bit further down than Wales is called Cornwall.

*Why have a province called Oxford? The place is a dump.

*There's a '-shire' inconsistency. Some provinces are named for counties and some fo county towns (Lancashire vs Lincoln... you could equally well have Lancaster and Lincolnshire).

Hmm coincidentally I just drew up a new MYMAP sketch for Britain

Britain.png

I can live with the province called the Borders rather than Berwick (you are right on the town nomcleture thang)

But I would still have the province of Gaidhealtacht. ;) There are numerous provinces in EU2 being 'native' if you will: Bourgogne, Bayern, Weilkopolska to name but three. So your argument does not hold there.

Ayeshteni

TheLand said:
A few comments:
*Scottish Borders: I'd just call these 'Borders'. 'The Borders' is a common descriptive term, even more so in the good old days when Scottish and Northumbrian Borderers main hobby was stealing each others' sheep.

Hideous. Generic. Evokes the beast of '74. Anything but.

*Midlands. Calling one province the 'midlands' is a cop-out, particularly as part of where it is is more west country than midlands... pick a county name! Herefordshire?

Call it Hereford if you must. I went with the existing map where possible.

*The pointy bit a bit further down than Wales is called Cornwall.

No, it's Devon AND Cornwall; Devon has more of the population, more of the influence and more of the wealth.

*Why have a province called Oxford? The place is a dump.

I fully agree, having lived there for 7 years and gone to university at Cambridge. Fact is it was a strategically important place and will do for the focus of the south Midlands for its role in the Civil War.

*There's a '-shire' inconsistency. Some provinces are named for counties and some fo county towns (Lancashire vs Lincoln... you could equally well have Lancaster and Lincolnshire).

It makes more sense to truncate those names which are "city name + shire" than those that have been elided, like Lancashire.

Mad King James said:
Hmm coincidentally I just drew up a new MYMAP sketch for Britain

Britain.png

- I personally think the Isles are too marginal to be worth a province in this game.

- 'Strathclyde' as a name no way this period, see OP.

- Lothian incorporates such hairy-arsed places as Atholl and Angus and with them a good chunk of the Highlands.

- Dumfries. Every major northern campaign I can think of, with the exceptions of the Second Civil War and the '45, went down the eastern route because that's where the population was. The two exceptions mentioned above were end-runs. And I can think of no major invasion of Scotland that didn't go up the east coast. Berwick or even Dunbar would be a better name for the border region. But Tweeddale would be far better than either.

- Berwick is far too small. Let's have Brescia, Liege and Montferrat before we even think of something like that.

- Nobody of influence this late would have referred to north / south Wales as Gwynedd and Deheubarth.

- Essex and Middlesex are horribly out of whack.

Earl Uhtred said:
Hideous. Generic. Evokes the beast of '74. Anything but.

Not sure I agree. As a political entity, yes, definitely not on the map. As a recognisable area there's more of a case... but I'm persuaded by your argument for Berwick, fi everyone went up the east coast to invade.

No, it's Devon AND Cornwall; Devon has more of the population, more of the influence and more of the wealth.
This is all true. And less of the nationalist sentiment. ;-)

I fully agree, having lived there for 7 years and gone to university at Cambridge. Fact is it was a strategically important place and will do for the focus of the south Midlands for its role in the Civil War.

But it's STILL a dump :p

However, you clearly know what you are doing and I agree with your other comments...

Ayeshteni said:
But I would still have the province of Gaidhealtacht. ;) There are numerous provinces in EU2 being 'native' if you will: Bourgogne, Bayern, Weilkopolska to name but three. So your argument does not hold there.

Ayeshteni

and if I had may way those names would of been anglised too :)

Reasons for my map are:

Because of IDGrid limitations on MYMAP, I was limited to 20 provinces for England and Scotland (not counting Orkney).

If not for this limitation, I would have split Dumfries and added Tweeddale, split Lothian and added Perthshire, split Middlesex and added Warwick.

If I could throw caution to the wind and just do whatever, I would have added Cornwall, Norfolk, Suffolk, Durham and Chester, split Strathclyde into Ayrshire and Clydesdale, thrown in the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, and completely ruined game balance forever.

Yes! It would be great to get Middlesex in there. One of the Great Counties of England (and a shame it was absorbed by others... )

I like that map, though Middlesex does look a bit too big... Could it be called Mercia? I know that's a Saxon Kingdom and doesn't exist as a county... But this argument can also be applied to Wessex. Dorset or Hampshire would be better names than Wessex. Otherwise Middlesex is as valid as any other as it incorporates counties such as Hertfordshire.

I do like the fact that you've essentially used the Saxon Kingdoms in SE England to differentiate the areas (this again points to Mercia, though :( )

I like Berwick - presumably both Scotland and England will have that as a national province. That was always a bone of contention between the two countries.

Good job on the map - but I'm not surprised. ;)

How do you guys play with such small provinces? I always have trouble clicking on the physical province instead of the army in the province. :wacko:

5678 said:
How do you guys play with such small provinces? I always have trouble clicking on the physical province instead of the army in the province. :wacko:
Well hopefully in EU III, all those graphics will be toggable, ala Crusader Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.