• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Twoflower said:
Finnelach, your latest map looks really great and would be a huge improvement over the old one :)

Thanks. :)
Hopefully Hive and the other modders will accept this.

It might be quite nice to have a Hercegovina/Hum province split off from the Dalmatia and Bosnia provinces, in order to give Bosnia a coastline in 1419 (which it had) and allow for an independent Hercegovina (at least in mods) after 1448.

You mean like this? ==>
variation3.JPG

I thought about it before but seeing the whole thing around size of Ragusa/Dubrovnik province I was afraid how will people react to more rather smaller provinces(at least smaller than the original ones...)

Personally I don't like this map. Putting Herzegovina would certainly make things more interesting for hardcore purists but it brings nothing to gameplay...in fact just the opposite and honestly it messes up the whole composition of the region. Besides Herzegovina was independent for a relativelly short period of time and it was always part of either Dalmatia or Bosnia. So I am not for this...it should remain as in previous map...IMO.

- one province between the Maros in the north, the Carpathians in the east, the Danube in the south and the Tisza in the west, with the city of Temesvár (or perhaps with Beograd?)

Hmmm, but this would be Banat province. I think it's good as it is now, of course when we correct the flow of Danbue and put in Tisza/Tisa river it will look much better.
And btw. it should definately have Temisvar as capital, Beograd/Belgrade would be in Serbia...on the border but still.

EDIT: changed my proposal for Hungary. Hope you can understand what I mean by the geographic descriptions, otherwise I can post a map that shows the rivers and mountains :)

I think you should post a map so we can see excatly what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Abdul Goatherd said:
Even allowing for exaggeration, it still looks like Venice held a big chunk of coast, if you ask me.

my.php

That large chunck of coast is called Dalmatia as you can see it clearly written all over the whole map. :p ;)

Besides you can also notice that the map is rather "artistic".

Finellach said:
That large chunck of coast is called Dalmatia as you can see it clearly written all over the whole map. :p ;)

Besides you can also notice that the map is rather "artistic".

As you've probably realized by doing, map-making is an art. :cool:

Can you walk from 12 to 5?

I Killed Kenny said:
The map looked better because of Game play issues yes... And taking One province from Venice *is not good*
Istria (12), Dalmatia (5) and Durres (10) would be owned by Venice. Venice has Istria and Dalmatia now. Explain me how this is "taking" a province from Venice? :confused:

I Killed Kenny said:
*cough cough* the first maps *cough cough* :rolleyes:
Even those had Dalmatia and Durres and would thus not have resulted in a net loss for Venice ;)
Finnelach said:
Personally I don't like this map. Putting Herzegovina would certainly make things more interesting for hardcore purists but it brings nothing to gameplay...in fact just the opposite and honestly it messes up the whole composition of the region. Besides Herzegovina was independent for a relativelly short period of time and it was always part of either Dalmatia or Bosnia. So I am not for this...it should remain as in previous map...IMO.
Why would it not bring anything for gameplay or mess up the whole composition in the region? It would make Bosnia a two-provincer at start - which it should be considering that there would be five Croatian provinces with the new setup -, it would allow modders to include events for the independent Duchy of Hercegovina and it would make for one more Ottoman province in the area in later scenarios - that they might need when Hungary/Austria and Venice are both given an additional province as well. Besides, it is not correct that Hercegovina was only independent for a short period of time; it always was separately administered since 1448, and I don't see how its inclusion is less justified than that of Kosovo, Durres, Ragusa or Montenegro.

Hmm... dunno especially about that province 12, which is even smaller than my Italian provinces...

And I will personally not accept having the name of a land province written in a sea zone, for purely aesthetical reasons.

And I'm still in doubt regarding province 2, stretching that far inland...

Hive said:
And I will personally not accept having the name of a land province written in a sea zone, for purely aesthetical reasons.

If you take a look at the original EU2 map, look at malaysia, there are atleast 3 non-island provinces that have their names writen in the sea, it seems to look fine there.

King of Minors said:
If you take a look at the original EU2 map, look at malaysia, there are atleast 3 non-island provinces that have their names writen in the sea, it seems to look fine there.

You are right, I never noticed that... :eek:o

Well maybe then it's not such a huge problem after all... though I'd still prefer if the text can be fitted inside the province.

Abdul Goatherd said:
Can you walk from 12 to 5?

I would say that you can. ;)

I Killed Kenny said:
The map looked better because of Game play issues yes... And taking One province from Venice *is not good*

I don't know how you came to this conclusion but the original map definately didn't look better, the original map was just terrible.
And where did Venice loose one province?!?! :confused:

Twoflower said:
Why would it not bring anything for gameplay or mess up the whole composition in the region? It would make Bosnia a two-provincer at start - which it should be considering that there would be five Croatian provinces with the new setup -, it would allow modders to include events for the independent Duchy of Hercegovina and it would make for one more Ottoman province in the area in later scenarios - that they might need when Hungary/Austria and Venice are both given an additional province as well. Besides, it is not correct that Hercegovina was only independent for a short period of time; it always was separately administered since 1448, and I don't see how its inclusion is less justified than that of Kosovo, Durres, Ragusa or Montenegro.

Well personally I don't know what to say....I just wouldn't like Herzegovina as separate province....just my feeling, besides Herezgovina was at times of different shapes and different location so I wouldn't know to make it excatly.

Hive said:
Hmm... dunno especially about that province 12, which is even smaller than my Italian provinces...

As said there already are provinces with their names written in a sea zone, besides I think a name would fit on it. Have tried it?

And I'm still in doubt regarding province 2, stretching that far inland...

Believe me province 2 is excatly how it should be. I can post you some historical maps if you want. ;)

Here is another variation on the map(increased size of Istria-province 12; modified Croatia and Krain - provinces 1 and 2; added province 13 Herzegovina).

variation3a.JPG

1. Carniola/Krain/Kranjska; main product: Iron; culture: Slavonic; Capital: Laibach/Ljubljana
2. Croatia/Hrvatska, main produtc: clothes; culture: Slavonic; capital: Zagreb/Agram
3. Slavonia/Slavonija; main product: grain; culture: Slavonic; capital: Osijek/Esseg(Essek)
4. Bosnia/Bosna; main product: wool; culture: Slavonic; capital: Sarajevo
5. Dalmatia/Dalmacija; main produtct: wine/salt; culture: Slavonic; capital: Zadar/Zara
6. Montenegro/Crna Gora; main product: wool; culture: Slavonic; capital: Kotor/Cattaro
7. Ragusa/Dubrovnik; main prduct: fish; culture: Slavonic; capital: Dubrovnik/Ragusa
8. Serbia/Srbija; main product: copper; culture: Slavonic; capital: Beograd/Belgrade
9. Kosovo; main product: Gold; culture: Albanian; capital: Prishtina
10. Dyrrachion/Durres/Durazzo; main product: wool; cultures: Albanian; capital: Dyrrachion/Durres/Durazzo
11. Banat/Vojvodina; main product: grain; culture: Slavonic; capital: Temesvar
12. Istria/Istra; main product:Wool/Fish; culture: Slavonic/Italian; capital: Trieste
13. Herzegovina/Hercegovina; main product: wool; culture: Slavonic; capital: Mostar

14. is Steiermark/Styria.

Last edited:
Well honestly I think this last one is the best and most realistic/best for gameplay and historically...all combined.

I think we finally found a perfect map for this region.
I think we should now move on Hungary. :)

Edit: definately the last one. ;)

Last edited:
*applauds*

EDIT: Istria is missing a written province name.
EDIT: It might look better (since the names are less "squeezed" then) to call Hercegovina "Hum", Montenegro "Zeta" and Dyrrhachion "Durrës" (Dyrrhachion, the ancient greek name, also isn't really appropriate for the EU2 period).

Last edited:
Looks good, XieChengnuo, although several province names look oddly flat. I assume that can easily be fixed though. The river still looks a bit odd. Anyone else think so?