• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I definitely dont care for the microtransactions either.. Its like leaving something out on purpose just to make more $. With these types of games, people can end up paying 4 times as much for the complete game.Take battlefield heroes for example... Its free with microtransactions for specail equipment.. I totalled the cost of outfitting ONE character and it was $80!!!! And you end up having to buy this stuff to remain comptetive with other players. Its an aggressive marketing scheme.. Plus we have the option for these types of games here already... People just dont like them(US).

That being said i am excited for the expansion... I am hoping for more simulation and auto party making...

Yeah Microtransactions if that is their plan will probably fail. That's not even popular with Western players in MMO's its sure not going to work in a lesser known PC game. I already suspect a ton of their potential customers are just waiting for the Gold edition with everything in it. I think something like that will just make them think its not worth bothering with.

Anyway about the expansion itself it sounds interesting. Perhaps too pricey if all were getting is 8 missions an perhaps 2 new heroes. Looks like Ice Mage and maybe a Shaman of some kind. Maybe its a third race you can recruit like the Elves an Dwarves. All I know is if we get a nice user friendly randomizer on par with Majesty Gold's we will be in business. That needs to be the priority then this game will be worth recommending to others.

Errr, the expansion is going to cost again on top of the original? Because I won't be paying just for an expansion of things that weren't finished just to make a release date, that seems incredibly cash-grabbing.

Errr, the expansion is going to cost again on top of the original? Because I won't be paying just for an expansion of things that weren't finished just to make a release date, that seems incredibly cash-grabbing.

Yeah.. that's almost like every other expansion in the history of the gaming industry. Here's the ideas we haven't fitted into our original development time - lets see if after making some more money on the initial release we can then afford to develop them.

I think Paradox are being incredibly un-cash grabbing lots of RTS games charge money for the expansion with the map editor in it - Paradox are giving that away for free.

I have no problem to pay money for good games and their expansions. Good games need good money. Bad games...

Yeah.. that's almost like every other expansion in the history of the gaming industry. Here's the ideas we haven't fitted into our original development time - lets see if after making some more money on the initial release we can then afford to develop them.

I think Paradox are being incredibly un-cash grabbing lots of RTS games charge money for the expansion with the map editor in it - Paradox are giving that away for free.

Not really, if you look in the game files, a lot of it is actually there, from version 1.0.0. All the goblin buildings and units, the ice mages etc. It's not developing new content for more money, it's hooking up existing content for more money, which is what I have a problem with. And for almost the same price as the original? No thanks.

Last edited:
Not really, if you look in the game files, a lot of it is actually there, from version 1.0.0. All the goblin buildings and units, the ice mages etc. It's not developing new content for more money, it's hooking up existing content for more money, which is what I have a problem with. And for almost the same price as the original? No thanks.

All that proves is that they originally planned to have all of that stuff in the game and due to time constraints and other gaming industry issues they had to cut some of it before the release date. As most companies do.

That's still no different from any other games company - the only possibly difference is that because paradox supports the mod community so well you know what they wanted to include before but failed. So in effect you're holding it against Paradox that they support such extensive modding compared to other games which might release less code for the modders and so hide that stuff better.

Obviously it's up to you - but don't discredit Paradox for doing what every company does but where you can see it.

Edit: also I was under the impression that most of those files were just name tags without any content. Except the Ice Mage - which we're getting for free whether or not we buy the expansion.

Well, the Goblins are a mixed lot. Half work, the other half does not. So I guess they fixed (or hope so) the not working part for the X-pack.

Also I assume if the Ice Wizards becomes downloadable it fixes some glitches with them (they cast Magic Shield, even though they shouldn't, according to their abilities listing).

That's still no different from any other games company - the only possibly difference is that because paradox supports the mod community so well you know what they wanted to include before but failed. So in effect you're holding it against Paradox that they support such extensive modding compared to other games which might release less code for the modders and so hide that stuff better.

Name some well-known examples?

Just recently with Dragon Age: Origins, Shale wasn't included in the game because of a few bugs, but he was meant to be part of the original game. BioWare fixed him and offered it as free DLC a few weeks later.

Ever heard of the "Hot Coffee" incident?

After that, most devs are far more thorough in hiding any unfinished content, with the exception if they want the modding community to find it (say, KOTOR2).

(Also, what you say sounds more like a patch to me, to fix up broken stuff in the game. Free DLC would be more in the trend of the UT bonus packs, "Heart of Winter" expansion for IceWind Dale, Several Valve updates for TF2, bonus maps for Dungeon Siege and it's expansion, Morrowind Plugins etc.)

It wasn't a patch, none of the Shale data was in the game to start with, they took it all out, and released it all as a free DLC.

Hot Coffee wasn't broken. Rockstar didn't release it later and charge you for it. That's not even related.

Shale is a huge block of the game, removed in development, and offered as a free dlc on purchase. Aka, to fight second-hand resale. Whether you agree with that or not is another debate, but that was the whole thing.

It wasn't a patch, none of the Shale data was in the game to start with, they took it all out, and released it all as a free DLC.
Then why "wasn't he in because of a few bugs". Sounds like more than a few bugs to me.
I kind of shun DA:O news because I plan to get it over 2 years in a gold edition without knowing any bits of story (which succeeded quite well just ignoring pretty much everything).
Hot Coffee wasn't broken. Rockstar didn't release it later and charge you for it. That's not even related.
It's related in that it made many delevopers more likely to remove WIP content from disks instead of keeping it on to be found by players. Maybe "they took it all out" on Shale is related to this incident as such?