• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Then why "wasn't he in because of a few bugs". Sounds like more than a few bugs to me.
I kind of shun DA:O news because I plan to get it over 2 years in a gold edition without knowing any bits of story (which succeeded quite well just ignoring pretty much everything).

It's related in that it made many delevopers more likely to remove WIP content from disks instead of keeping it on to be found by players. Maybe "they took it all out" on Shale is related to this incident as such?

http://www.destructoid.com/why-the-dragon-age-origins-dlc-character-was-cut-145329.phtml

Essentially he was cut because his model wouldn't fit through most doorways in the game, and he caused a number of camera problems because of the model size.

He was cut because they didn't have time to fix his model before the release date. But as he was planned to be part of the original game, they gave it out for free to everyone. They didn't hold it back and then charge people for Shale.

If the goblins were originally meant to be in Majesty 2, and just not included because they couldn't make the deadline, they should finish it up and release it for free.

Anyways, either way. As I said, I won't pay for it, but I'll definitely play it still.

Hmmm, are we talking about the same BioWare who cut a chunck out of Baldur's Gate to sell as X-pack?

Who stuffed a NPC in Dragon Age that sells DLC, pretty much asking for your credit card number... meaning it was definitely planned to be in at release, because they already fitted it in at release?

Also; AFAIK Shane is only "free" once, and then bound to your account. If you buy it second hand, he's the full $8,95 to add.

If the goblins were originally meant to be in Majesty 2, and just not included because they couldn't make the deadline, they should finish it up and release it for free.

The goblins was not in the design of the original game.

You can also turn the discussion around; the game editor was supposed to be in the x-pack, but we decided to release it for free in a patch since it seemed to be the most sought-after addition to the original game.

http://www.destructoid.com/why-the-dragon-age-origins-dlc-character-was-cut-145329.phtml

Essentially he was cut because his model wouldn't fit through most doorways in the game, and he caused a number of camera problems because of the model size.

He was cut because they didn't have time to fix his model before the release date. But as he was planned to be part of the original game, they gave it out for free to everyone. They didn't hold it back and then charge people for Shale.

Anyways, either way. As I said, I won't pay for it, but I'll definitely play it still.

Are you seriously suggesting you don't think the DLC watcher's keep and the stone prisoner which you have to pay extra for were intended to be in the original game? Those things you get extra if you buy the collector's edition or you can pay more for later..?

It's only new copies that add Shale for free. Now that they've made there money off marketing the collector's edition and initial sales on the stone prisoner dlc.

Actually all in all I think you may have cited the worst possible example of marketing to maximise profit. It's only after the initial profit when no one else would buy stone prisoner that they give it away.

Your final statement has absolutely no rational basis in marketing either. If the goblins were intended (Fredrik II tells us they weren't). There non-inclusion will have been to do with the funds required to keep the product in development.

I.e. the reason expansion packs get made is because a company has had the initial injection of extra cash from the base game. With that money they can develop more content (including content they originally devised but couldn't complete due to the cash equations :p). At the end of the day Paradox isn't doing anything different from any other company with this.

And as Fredrik II says - they're giving away the map editor tools. Most companies would bundle that into the expansion to get guaranteed boosts in sales. (by way of example: HoMM 3 Campaign Editor).

Now obviously its up to you. but I think if you won't buy the expansion on the grounds you state you're being too harsh on Paradox and far to lenient to the blatant marketing of Bioware.

Incidentally I have no problem with Bioware's dragon age marketing - it's a business after all. I do however respect Hassat's stance of wait and see - especially given NWN's Gold Diamond Platinum editions.

You can also turn the discussion around; the game editor was supposed to be in the x-pack, but we decided to release it for free in a patch since it seemed to be the most sought-after addition to the original game.

This is true. I remember interviews, prior to the game's release, that talked about the editor as part of an expansion pack. Including it in a free patch proves that Paradox actually listens to what its customers want.

I'm looking forward to the expansion pack. Combined with an editor and the randomization feature Majesty 2 should gain a lot of replay value. However, they can keep the DLC. DLC has no place on an open platform like the PC. If I wanted to be nickel and dimed for a limited, predetermined selection of upgrades, I would have bought a Mac.