• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The End

Four years passed since the events described in my previous post. The war is finally over. It lasted 16 years. Countless lives were lost (I could've counted the numbers of killed in battle on each side and make a pretty chart, but what to do about attrition losses?) on both sides, rivers of gold washed away by the blood of the innocents, tears of mothers threatening the world with another flood. Last time I checked, both kings that started the war were dead, their sons and nephews picking up the dirty work left over.

France eventually agreed to peace with Burgundy. She rejected the numerous offers to become the vassal of her former Duchy even though there was no honor lost in being the vassal to the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. France often offered herself four provinces in exchange for peace, but they were too far enough from Burgundian lands for the offer to be even considered.

Losing land left and right to the rebellious Dukes, France nevertheless managed to annex or vassalize all of them (Guyenne made vassal) except Toulose. A touch of humor here, as France struggled to field an army, Savoy, a loyal friend and ally as always, promptly annexed the Duchy, finally expanding her lands. Treacherous dogs that they are, they still deserve a round of applause.

I wanted badly to continue the fight to the end, hoping to see French provinces defect to my crown one by one, while more and more Dukedoms would spring to existance. This was not to be. The heresy started by Martin Luther spilled from Germany into the Dutch and French lands of my kingdom. As a good Catholic, Emperor of HRE and all, I denied every attempt of my foolish populace to convert. I suffered the consequences. At one point during the war I realized that there was no way I could contain the rebels and fight France at the same time. Choices had to be made.

Since France refused to become my vassal and would offer only worthless lands, I tried going for my first option, forcing the French to renounce the claims on my lands. Being greedy and wanting some land in the same time I only partially succeeded in doing so. French Comte was demanded back and received with curses. Lyonnais, which I had core on, suffered...enjoyed?.. a similar fate. In addition to these two provinces France renounced her claims on most of my provinces. It is much easier to list the ones she still has left: Lyonnais, Vermandois and Valenciennes.

As I fire up the game to take one last look at the world around me, I see a small French army hopelessly wondering among the see of rebellions. Some of her provinces suffer the same fate as Champagne, ableit on a much smaller scale, so there is still a chance France may desintegrate. Burgundy has about ten thousand troops left, after disbanding all the mercenaries and they are hard pressed to keep Champagne from falling into rebel hands.

New troops are raised, of course, as time and money allows me. I face a major rebellion in the Netherlands and some of my core lands seem to have caught Champagne fever. Still, safe in the knowledge that this is my last installment, I remain fairly optimistic about the future of Burgundy, Empire and Europe in general. France will be crushed, of course, in due time and the Protestant heresy must be just a seasonal thing to disappear without a trace suddenly and for no reason, never to return to this world. I hope the Church will ajust itself to the new realities of life. I hope... for many things... but the story ends here, with Burgundian victory.

No matter how small the victory is, the price paid for it ensures its place in history.

EDIT: 100th post..eh...reply, thanks to comagoosie.

Beautiful finish, though I did respond becuase I thought the screenshot was the last update :rolleyes:

Are you still going to continue your game, (but not the AAR), as it would be a pretty interesting one for sure.

All and all, what a good AAR.

*clap*

Good finish.

It appears France was reversing your own strategy and using it against you with the rebels. Still, nice peace even though those remaining cores would certainly cause France to DoW again when things have calmed down for them. With religious strife appearing all over Europe, it would be an interesting century ahead.

Great stuff, as always nalivayko. Hope you mean it when you say you are moving to a new AAR. I look forward to it.

Congratulations on completion and thanks for the read.

I'm sure that if you were to continue playing that you would ultimately finish off those rebels and France, as well. The religious strife can certainly be a real train wreck, but despite the great pressure you stuck to your guns and continued to represent catholicism to the best of your ability. Well done, and I look forward to your next story!

comagoosie & stnylan, thank you both for your support, happy you enjoyed the finale.

coz1, you are right, it will be an interesting century... glad I am not around to witness another war, since (you're right again) France is sure to have at least one more fight in her.

Amric, I am sure I would be able to finish both France and rebels, but I've learned one thing lately - sometimes it is the process and not the result that give you the greatest pleasure :D I mean, I've known it all along, but never applied this knowledge to gaming and AAR writing.

To all who asked about my next AAR, here's the link: Unsung Ballads of Aquitaine. Again, thank you all for your support, hope to see you there soon.