• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For your eyes only: special report from the PTC Cartography Division

Your Highness, here are the new maps of Portuguese possessions around the world. The crisis of 1600 is almost gone now: our fears that everyone will start streaming to empty Indian Ocean and Pacific land fortunately showed to be a bit of exaggeration. Possible our 1600 maps, which you know were in some segments a bit incorrect…errr “advanced”…helped :D

Yes, yes… And I can see the new Pacific map is also designed to confuse the competition, although in the other way…Hawaii is OK, but don’t we want them to find Japan and start trading there?

1622-pacific.jpg

But what about those three ugly orange provinces? We will have to see what can be done about that…

For the first time, we are presenting maps of the whole Portuguese possessions. Here is Indian Ocean, which is firmly under our control…

1622-indian ocean.jpg

I am particularly happy with the situation in India: only two relatively strong local powers with PTC controlling the jewels – Goa and Ganges COTs. Some day Delhi…

Judging from your reaction on Dutch Indonesia, I am afraid Your Highness will also be displeased with South America :(.

1622-south atlantic.jpg

Surely, Dutch presence there is disturbing. Perhaps that can be dealt with in the package with Indonesia…But South America is not the only thing that concerns me! Look! Haven’t we fought and defeated England in Western Africa a few years ago? We controlled all of “their” Africa…only to see them in their hands again!

Your Highness, Austria…How to put it? Austria needed money. They are our allies and alliance leaders. They somehow took those provinces in the last war (OOC: some kind of bug) and sold them AGAIN to England :D

And that amuses you?! If anyone should have sold it, it is PTC! But you are right, Austria needs money…As if I don’t know it already! They always want more money…Well, we need then, that’s true, but we are also definitely not a charitable organization :D – there will be rightful compensation for our services and money earned on colonies that by God given right belong to PTC!

But let’s go on… North America and Caribbean. Nothing our there, but Holland and Denmark besides France and England have some nice possessions.

1622-north America-caribbean.jpg

And finally Europe! The last agreement with Spain even further strengthened our alliance in Europe. People of Portugal are grateful to PTC, whose promised services bought us Sardinia and Malta.

1622-europe.jpg

And make sure everyone to know for this kind of cooperation PTC and Portugal will be interested in the future also, with any other European power having a spare island or two :).

Confidential Report on 1621 Income

Portugal, 1622

…Barnius VII “Diplomat” de Rico, Conselheiro Confidencial dos Reis Português, fifth Duke of Lisboa, chairmen of PTC, receiving the latest information on Portugal and PTC income…

Your Highness, here is the report on Portuguese income for the last year. I also prepared the same data for other important European countries.

1621-income-table.jpg

1621-income-graph.jpg

The main news are:
  • Spain suffers really serious inflation.
  • Holland started trading, as expected. We will have to talk about some regulation on the market :D. Almost doubled her income in 2 decades! Holland also has 9 manufactories - mostly from events, but still :eek: !
  • Austria also made a significant improvement, but relatively the best is Brandenburg.
  • France and Spain are the only nations without manufactories. And while it's understandable for Spain (OOC: would have lost them), what is France thinking is a mystery... Especially since she is behind Spain in land tech.

In all, this graph is a REALLY NICE sight:rofl: But there has to be some space for improvement. For example, we are not trading in three COTs: English Minnesota and Russian Moscow and Astrakhan. Unfortunately, there is little we can do about Minnesota and Astrakhan – we don’t have maps of the territory – but talks with the Russian Tsar should start regarding his trade embargo. Hmmm…unfortunately there is also very little we can do here also :(…apart from talking…

The Fall of Brandenburg

In the Ruins of Berlin, 1645AD

The reign of Georg Wilhelm was one of bitter disappointment, death, betrayal and eventually, collapse. What should have been the start of the golden age of Greater Brandenburg instead turned out to be one of her greatest failures, with the State on the brink of collapse. Yet even in this dark hour, there is hope and perhaps one-day Brandenburg will recover from her defeats. There is always hope…

The reign of Georg Wilhelm, Elector of Greater Brandenburg, Duke of Prussia, started off well. We had inherited Prussia and Kleves, and though the Habsburg Emperor had defeated us and forced us to become Catholic, we were stronger then we had ever been. Yet below the surface, the struggle for power at the Court between the Catholic and the Protestants was growing more and more vicious. Each side manoeuvred for position, seeking advantage.

For the first 10 years, Greater Brandenburg spent her energies improving her economy and her army, so that it stood on an equal level as the Emperor, though he was able to pull slightly away in the military department, our advisors were sure that we would be able to keep pace, indeed to over take them.

Then the fall occurred.

War erupted over the possession of the Lowlands, with the Habsburg alliance deciding to remove the Dutch and French from them. As part of the alliance, we were called to fight the French, Dutch, Swedish and the English. This caused a crisis at Court as we had no desire to fight free Protestants and a full scale conflict erupted at Court, causing a political crisis and a dramatic loss of stability. (ooc: Political crisis occurred, which I thought was very fortuitous in a RP kind of way) While the factions fought it out, the Swedes arrived on our coast with a promise to Friedrich Wilhelm. They would out him back into power, for the cost of returning to Protestantism and Military access. Friedrich jumped at the chance to put the electorship back to Protestantism and readily agreed, taking his army (ooc: He was the leader of the army Duke) on a vacation to Denmark, along with their wives and children, while the Swedish liberated our lands from the Catholic elite.

The War continued to rage on over the lowlands, and the Dutch during manoeuvres burned down our weapons manufactory! This angered Friedrich so much, that he lead his army against the Dutch, captured Oldenburg, and was then destroyed by one of the Dutch armies.

The Swedes accomplished their goal and we were once again made into a Protestant state, with Friedrich’s place secure as heir to the throne, as the catholic faction had been plotting to put one of their number into the Electorship. We then inherited the realm of Von Pommern, with half going to Sweden. We left the Habsburg alliance and joined the French one, and attacked several cities of the Habsburg domain until a white peace was declared between us all.

But the bitter and twisted Habsburgs in Vienna turned to darkness believing us to have betrayed him. He assembled massive armies on our border and provoked us by annexing Protestant states into his realm. By this time, we had formed a new alliance of Northern Protestants, consisting of Denmark and Sweden, in order to protect our interests and for some crazy reason, our allies declared war on Austria! Poland, being the opportunistic nation that it was, made threats to declare war on us if we did not hand over Memel. We tried to delay them, knowing that a change would be coming soon in the air and we would be better able to answer them later (ooc: It was very close to the end of the session), but they would not be heard and declared war on us!

Austria meanwhile, had once again crushed us, even though we had had a great army reform, pushing us to the peak of offensiveness. The stripped us of Koln and Kleves and destroyed our army, leaving us unable to strike back at Poland.

So the situation stands with us losing virtually half of our realm, our army destroyed and our new Monarch, Friedrich Wilhelm a bitter man, seeking any aid against the Polish armies. Greater Brandenburg may be dead, but Brandenburg remains.

France 1622 to 1645
The Time of the Cardinals!

During the turbulent years of Louis XIII, crowned as he was outside his majority, a number of powerful advisors rose to prominence within France, often ruling the country in all but name. They were men of the Church, Catholics, yet they held that the nation state held a higher purpose than the church and the church should reside under the state and the King. The first of these Cardinals came to power in the early 1620’s.

“So Mazarin, I see you have questions now when I finally lie on my death bed.” The old man coughed, a soft hacking sound that left spittle on his lips faintly tinged with pink.

“Your eminence, you are not well. You should conserve your strength.”

“Of course I am not well, I go to meet our Saviour soon.” Easing back on his pillows he sighed softly. “Well Mazarin, for all your faults I’ve picked you to follow in my footsteps and complete my plans. Listen closely for there is much to tell and much you must do…”

Mazarin, resplendent in his robes of fiery red knelt by the dying cardinal keen to hear all that the great man would to say.

“There is a cancer eating the nation my friend, I saw it when I entered the service of the King. I tried to root it out but my plans came to naught. Now you have a new King fresh upon the throne and a second chance, do not waste it…”

“But how did you fail your eminence? Did you not make France strong again? Our colonies are liberated in Africa, taken back from the House of Austria and all her holdings rooted out from that continent. In North America our settlers flourish and the fruits of trade flow into our cofferes whilst on the continent you led us to victory against Spain and Austria, even bringing Franch-comte into the realm.”

“Fool! I never wanted war! Don’t you understand? Do you have any comprehension how much effort and money went into arranging that peace treaty with Spain in 1622 and the purchase of our recently lost colonies in North America? Do you appreciate the problems I had in slipping that past the King at a time when I still wasn’t fully in my power? Peace on our southern border for the first time in a century! Only to see it swept away sixteen years later by the King and his mad follies!”

“But your eminence I thought you hated the House of Austria, and it was not the King who started that war after all but the Spanish.”

“Indeed I do hate Austria as should all good servants of the nation. They betray us with every word they utter and someday there must be a reckoning. You are right though, it was not the King who started the war, but tell me my friend, why should France care about the merchants in the lowlands? Do they protect our colonies? Do they patrol our sea-lanes? I can see the sense in the King’s alliance with England even if they are cursed Protestants, they have a navy greater than ours that can provide these services, that alliance has served us well. Learn this well Mazarin, the good of the state comes above all else, even to allying with protestants and infidels if the Catholic world won’t have us!* But tell me Mazarin what have the Dutch ever done for us except get us into one costly war after another. I was only a boy Mazarin but by God I still remember what they cost us when they dragged us into war over Munster!”

“Your eminence, now don’t distress yourself. That was decades ago now, surely nobody even remembers it any more after the glory you brought to France.”

“I remember it Mazarin! And glory you say? I thought it was Turenne’s name they still sing in the street, or those of the Queen’s cursed Musketeers, not the name of Cardinal Richelieu who’s hand guided it all?”

“Turenne is merely your instrument your eminence, a humble servant of God like us all. Long after he’s gone your name will still ring down the ages.”

“That would be pleasant Mazarin. Ah Turenne did well there is no denying it. Even as I saw my plans crumble before my eyes I could still smile whilst watching the look of panic come across the face of the King at the news that Turenne with only 40,000 men was in the thick of battle against 120,000 Spanish and Austrians in Lorraine. The little man thought the enemy would be at the gates of his Palace within the week…
fra1637b.JPG

… yet Turenne lost barely 3000 men in the battle and sent the whole lot of those Austrian dogs packing! Aye those are good memories Mazarin. Watching a King cower is worth a thousand titles, remember that when dealing with royalty.”
fra1637c.JPG

“Turenne is impetuous though, you will need to watch that in him. After the victory in Lorraine he gathered fresh men and pressed on into Alsace and Pfalz taking both provinces by early 1639. We thought that the Austrians were crumbling then but the Spanish came to their rescue once more, suffering as they always do for their generosity towards the House of Austria. The fools, their rescue saved Austria but cost Spain herself dear. Whilst the Austrians began laying siege to their lost cities the King sent a force of around 40,000 northwards to help the Dutch, tipping the balance in the Lowlanders favour whilst Turenne changed direction away from his march on Vienna and proceeded south to combat the invading Spanish armies issuing forth from Milan and besieging Piemonte, Provence and Languedoc. Whenever they were caught it was a slaughter, for by now all feared Turenne’s presence on the field of battle. With the Austrians defeated in the north and Brandenburg even now joining the King’s cause the Austrian’s threw in the towel and begged for peace. Oh those were sad times Mazarin, if I’d been there I could have insisted we take our blood out on the Austrians not the Spanish, but the King decided to accept the Austrian withdrawal from the war leaving only Spain alone to fight the might of the whole alliance. England as expected had soundly defeated Spain in the Caribbean and with Austria out of the war her situation was hopeless on the continent. The King and the English were after blood as were the Dutch. I managed to temper their demands somewhat and negotiated the transfer of the isolated Duchy of Franche-comte to France and a couple of colonies to England. Well the King insisted upon rewarding the English and I could not refuse.”

“Now though Mazarin you must rebuild relations with Spain. These constant wars are too costly for the state. Be ever vigilant in the east for we know the House of Austria is tricky and her words not to be trusted. Both Munster and her latest actions in Brandenburg tell us that.”

Laying back down, his life spent, Cardinal Richelieu, Prime Minister of France passed away in 1642, leaving France in the hands of Cardinal Mazarin and the boy king Louis XIV.

[*Richelieu and Mazarin historically both worked with the Protestant princes of Germany, England and even the Turks from time to time when they were rebuffed by the Catholic states and were trying to contain Austria.]

Confidential Report on 1645 Foreign Affairs

Portugal, 1645

…Barnius, Conselheiro Confidencial dos Reis, delivering the confidential information on foreign affairs to His Majesty King João IV…

Your Majesty, the news from France are disturbing.

Disturbing? How do you mean? French Prime Minister Mazarin just announced new era of warmer relation with Spain…

:wacko: Yes, Your Majesty, exactly. And even more perhaps. France could eventually become Spanish ally.

But surely that’s an excellent news!

:wacko::wacko: No, Your Majesty, it is NOT GOOD! To put is simply, so even you can understand, it is in the Portuguese best interest France and Spain to remain enemies, while we are in the good relations with both of them!

Yes, yes, but you are talking about the future, and there are still unfinished present issues: deal with English threats related to the war against Holland first!

I can assure you, Your Highness, that England and Holland will have much more important things on their minds after they find out about cunning Mazarin’s plans than presenting empty threats about some united Protestant Navy forcing us to accept something we don’t find satisfactory.

Protestant navy? That is dangerous! That would mean England, Holland, Sweden and Denmark against our Royal Navy!

:wacko::wacko::wacko: No, no and no, Your Majesty, you really must pay more attention to the news! It only sounds dangerous, but it really isn’t. First of all, some of PTC business partners don’t wish to take part in this foolishness. So the enemy can’t mach our navy in the size and is far behind in the technology. And by “our” I mean PTC navy, naturally: your Royal “Navy” will get all the help it needs if needed. But I can assure you, it will not be needed :).

Mazarin scowled at the back of the departing messenger. So the PTC were out to make trouble. Did they really think they could sow rumour and strife between the members of the French and English alliance? Their propaganda was so paper thin a child could break through it. Still there was an air of truth behind what they spread. Mazarin shook his head, he made no bones about the fact that he was endeavouring to improve relations with his neighbours in Spain. Catholics fighting Catholics every decade? No this had to stop. He had thought to improve relations with Lisboa too but the actions of the PTC made him reconsider this now...

As he leavered himself up from the chair and made his way to the door many thoughts were running through his head. Peace had now been secured with Austria with the return of Lorraine, for a time at least anyhow, treaties had been signed with Denmark and even one with the PTC before these dark rumours had surfaced. Who were France's enemies now? ... The question puzzled him. Mazarin had much to think on as he made his way to his bed chamber.

The Treaty of Vienna.

The Powers of Austria and France do herby make agreement concerning not just the fate of their two nations, but of the World.

The Treaty states thus.

Austria will ceede the province of Lorraine to France, where it will be a vassel of that realm for the sum of 30 years. This will therefore end decades of Bloodshed and hopefully bring about a new age of peace and co-operation in the west.

The fate of Brandenburg.

Austria grows tired of constantly defeating the northern german Princes who constantly change their minds over religions. We therefore propose that the Electors may chose their own religion as long as they remain loyal to the Emperor. To that end, Austria will hold onto Kleves for 20 years, by which point, Brandenburg may buy it back for the princely sum of 50d.

Denmark and Mecklenburg.

In order for their to be peace between out two nations, Denmark must release Meklenburg as a vassel and swear to never again Intrude upon the Holy Roman Empire again. She may hold onto Mecklenburg for the end of time, but she is to not incorperate it into her realm.

So signs Ferdinand III Archduke of Austria, King of Bohemia and Hungary and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.

Tales of the Rus: Chapter V, "The Time of Troubles"

shield_RUS.gif
- The Reign of Too Many Tsars To Accurately Count (-1612) -
shield_RUS.gif

- the Rise of Mikhael, First of the Romanovs (1612-1645) -​

Summary: A Tsar dies. People are ecstatic and kill each other. Another Tsar dies. People kill each other. Polacks help to restore order. A third Tsar dies. A metropolitan has just about had enough with all those crownings. People kill even more of each other. The first Romanov takes the throne. Sweden is attacked by Russia, Poland sides with Russia! Poland wins big while Russia takes a beating. The Tsar is not amused. The Swede is philosophical. Colonisation continues. Sweden attacks Poland, Russia sides with Poland. Russian cossacks save Polish capital. Fall of Gustav "Fucking Unreal Leader" II Adolf. Sweden takes a beating. Russia wins big. The Swede is not amused. The Tsar is philosophical. The Tsar rebuilds Russia. The Tsar beats the Persians. The Tsar signs a treaty with Poland. The Tsar receives a report delayed. The Tsar is astonished by what the report reveals. The Tsar is forced to reevalutate the trustworthiness of his chief Ally.

"...And it came to pass that the head guy, Boris, was sort of loosing control of the country, which was bad, so he asked his neighbour, a real bruiser of a Polack, to help him retain control, but things just went worse with, well, you know, people partying and killing officials all over the place, and then the Swedish ruler, a bastard like all their rulers, began threatening, like, havoc and war, you know, but Boris did not list, 'cuz he was sort of dead despite the Polish troops guarding Moscow, his main city, and many people blamed the Swede - those that were not partying in the streets, that is.

So the chief religious dude, the metropolitan, said that now Dmitry got to be Tsar of all the Russians, but he turned out to be a false Dmitry, and got killed rather violently. So the religious dude said that now some guy Vasily should rule, but all could see that he was just a fucking Swedish stooge, so he soon died of natural causes, as they said in those days, and there was more rioting all over the country. So the metropolitan said, like, right, I'm too old for this shit, so he appointed a guy Vladislav, who just happened to be in town and supported by the entire Polish Army, Tsar instead of the Tsar, don't you know? And then the country was sort of mostly quiet.

And that was in 1610.

So this guy Vladislav, Tsar of all the Russians, with a broken country needing healing, you know what he does? He invades Sweden and asks the Poles to come along. Now, given that he was a North-Pole until just two months earlier, it comes as no surprise that he knows what's moving and shaking in Poland, does it? No, indeed, and the Poles do come along.

Images of War, 1610-1615
russia_1610_1615.jpg

Just so happens that the Swedes have a real motherfucker leading their armies, Gustaf Fuckin' A himself, and as the Russians weapons are really inferior as well, the Swedes kill an awful lot of Russians. Just so happens that there are many more Russians than Swedes, and Vladislav is really a Pole, so why should he care? Anyway, lots of battles and blood and stuff like that, and then Poland makes peace with Sweden gaining the Baltic states free of charge, and leaves Russia alone facing Denmark and Sweden with super-leaders, and suddenly Sweden does not really want to make peace with Russia anymore, and many Russians are pretty bloody angry at Vladislav the North-Pole, I kid thee not. So Vladislav sort of falls on his own dagger by accident, and the chief religious dude has to find another Tsar, and this in the middle of the bleeding war!

So he has, like, a vision from the lord himself, and appoints one of the most peaceful lords of the country - well, relatively peaceful, quite bloodthirsty by most non-Russian yardsticks - Mikhael I Romanov. And Mikhael is sort of like, what the fuck is going on here, and he would sort of like peace. He fights on for, oh, two years, but the Swedes just keep on coming and going from their boats in the harbour, and in the end, it is just too expensive really, so he sort of agrees to peace and has to give up Kexholm to the Swedes, and he is one mean and angry dude, I tell you.

But Mikhael, he is one good king, and that is a good thing, so he mops up leftover rebels and begin to heal the country. A healer, not a divider, that's Mikhael.

Not that he gets peace for long, though. No, his armies are still completely overmatched when the Swede attacks Poland in, oh, 1618 or so. Now, Mikhael, he is not sure that he wants to aid the Poles, to be honest. That separate peace during the last Swedish war sure looks like a complete betrayal, but the Polish chief claims that no, it was meant to aid Russia, really, such that Russia could overrun the remnants of Sweden alone, a claim that good ol' Mikhael finds dubious at best. This is what we call intrigue, in case you were wondering. Nevertheless, Mikhael is willing to trust the Pole just this one time, but vows the utter obliteration of Poland should he be doublecrossed, something the Pole avows will never happen, so he sends cavalry, some forty or fifty thousand, just what he can spare from the Polish border, really, south into Poland to stop Gustav Fuckin' A who is running roughshod over the Poles, and a hundred thousand men or so into Finland.

And it happens that the Russian cavalry arrives in the nick of time to save Warsaw from falling to the Swede, and the Swedish invasion army is sort of crushed, and the remnants that try to escape are hunted down and killed rather messily, including just about all the Swedish leaders of note, and Mikhael is sort of happy with the result, really.

Assault in Finland, 1621
russia_1621_03_21.jpg

So, to make a long story short, though that is likely too late, the Swede gets really badly beaten and though he tries making separate peace with Mikhael several times, Mikhael will only agree when the Pole is in acceptance, for he is a true and good man. Finally, an offer arrives with which the Pole can agree, and Mikhael has Kexholm returned, and just a teeny weenie bit more of Finland. He promises all and sundry that one day, all of Finland will be Russian, but then, that's what victors are supposed to say, really.

So now that it is peace, and 1622, he says screw this inflation, and appoints governors all over the place, really, what with his new high-tech infrastructure, and then he begins a crash course of weapons improvement, seing as his armies are real pussies compared to the opposition.

And for many years Russia is at peace under Mikhael, the Restorer, and the flowers blossom and the realm flourishes and stuff like that. BOOOORING! So ol' Mikhael notices that the Ottomans, infidels from the south, you know, have recently acquired some real estate in Persia: Iraq, Kirkuk, and Azerbaijan, and Mikhael notices that, hey, that gives him a good opportunity for a nice aesthetically pleasing southern border, so he invades Persia and crush them utterly, despite the Persians being, as the military folks say, a CRT ahead and with superior morale. Sure, he may have lost some 70,000 peasants doing so, but peasants are in good supply: The breed like bunnies in peacetime, so no one is really hurt by it. That way ol' Mikhael gains Daghestan, Khiva, and Bukhara, and he has got a really nice Southern border.

Now, ol' Mikhael is getting really old, so he wants to secure Russia peace for his son, Aleksey, so he grabs his Chief Minion for Foreign Affairs, and start making treaties. The first treaty, he makes with Poland.

----------​

Treaty of Poltava

Primus, as Geography has always been the best guarantor of the stability of borders between sovereign nations with rivers and mountains being the natural peaceful dividers ordained by the Lord, and secundus, as the Tsar's gratitude for Polish support during the messy years of the Time of Troubles knows no bounds, and, tertius, as the Crown of the Commonwealth of Poland-Lithuania has wisely settled two border issues around Smolensk by peaceful means during the last decade,

The most imperious and terrible Tsar of Russia, Mikhael I Romanov, overlord of the Russians, the Ugrics, the Altai, the Georgians, and the Steppe Dummies, restorer of the true might of the Eastern Empire, shield of the faithful, humbler of Persia, after long deliberations with the Crown of the Commonwealth of Poland-Lithuania, proclaim the Treaty of Polatava, to be carried out immediately upon the signature of the two Crowns:

• That the Southern provinces of Poltava and Donesk be ceded from Russia to Poland-Lithuania, to be under the direct administration of the Crown of the Commonwealth of Poland-Lithuania in Perpetuity
  • That the Baltic provinces of Estland and Livland, and the province of Welikia-over-the-river be ceded from Poland-Lithuania to Russia, to be personal fiefs of the Tsar of all the Russians in Perpetuity
  • That the Northern Polish-Lithuanian province of Polotsk-over-the-river is recognized by the Crown of the Commonwealth of Poland-Lithuania and the Tsar of Russia as Polish-Lithuanian in perpetuity, and that it is granted special status as the entrypoint of Polish trade into Russia. To this end the Tsar of Russia will personally donate 100d to the Crown of Poland-Lithuania.

By his hand,
Tsar Mikhael I Romanov, the Restorer.

----------​

The Tsar also tries to negotiate a peaceful settlement with Sweden, but nobody seems to be answering. He really hopes to see the Swedish-Russian border negotiated before his death, for one thing is sure, knowing Aleksey, Finland WILL be Russian within his lifetime, one way or the other. The details of the suggested treaty are as follows.

The Tsar offers 3,000d paid over five years for the rest of Finland, that is, the provinces of Nyland, Finland, and Österbotten, and an end to the enmity between the two nations. Peace will be assured once this basic principle is adhered to: Swedes in Sweden, Russians in Finland. It is the Tsar's hope that this gesture of reconciliation will avert a continuation of the bloodshed of decades past, and will allow Sweden to focus west, as is its destiny.

----------​

Now, the good Tsar Mikhael I Romanov, founder of the Romanov dynasty, has good cause to be pissed with the speed of the Russian bureaucracy, but one thing is certain: When he orders something done, it is. Eventually. From various public sources, his servants have created the "Best of Friends" lists, showing national relations in 1622 and now in 1645. As he sits down and read them, he becomes convinced of one thing:

Best of Friends, 1622
Code:
[font=courier new][color=white]
[color=yellow][u]Country         Best Friend!            Nearly BF               Very nearly BF  [/u][/color]
[color=skyblue]Austria         [/color]Spain        +175       Portugal      +85       Venice       +10
[color=skyblue]Brandenburg     [/color]France       +175       England       +59       Denmark      +38
[color=skyblue]Denmark         [/color]France       +150       England      +135       Netherlands +100
[color=skyblue]England         [/color]Denmark      +135       Sweden       +125       Brandenburg  +59
[color=skyblue]France          [/color]Poland       +196       Brandenburg  +175       Denmark     +150
[color=skyblue]Netherlands     [/color]France        +84       England       +35       Sweden       +24
[color=skyblue]Ottoman Empire  [/color]Sweden       -153       Spain        -178       France      -199
[color=skyblue]Poland          [/color]Spain        +198       France       +196       Portugal    +111
[color=skyblue]Portugal        [/color]Austria      +138       Poland       +111       Venice      +102
[color=skyblue]Russia          [/color]Denmark       -38       Poland        -58       France       -70
[color=skyblue]Spain           [/color]Poland       +198       Austria      +175       Venice      +174
[color=skyblue]Sweden          [/color]England      +125       Netherlands   +24       Brandenburg  -30
[color=skyblue]Venice          [/color]Spain        +174       France       +125       Portugal    +102
[/color][/font]

Best of Friends, 1645
Code:
[color=yellow][u]Country         Best Friend!            Nearly BF               Very nearly BF  [/u][/color]
[color=skyblue]Austria         [/color]Portugal    +197        Spain        +180       France       +64
[color=skyblue]Brandenburg     [/color]France      +176        England       +94       Denmark      +35
[color=skyblue]Denmark         [/color]England     +136        Netherlands  +135       France       +44
[color=skyblue]England         [/color]Sweden      +200        Denmark      +136       Netherlands +125
[color=skyblue]France          [/color]Brandenburg +196        Poland       +175       Netherlands +107
[color=skyblue]Netherlands     [/color]Denmark     +135        England      +125       France      +107
[color=skyblue]Ottoman Empire  [/color]Spain       -172        Poland       -193       N/A         -200
[color=skyblue]Poland          [/color]Spain       +200        France       +175       Portugal     +35
[color=skyblue]Portugal        [/color]Austria     +197        France        +99       Poland       +35
[color=skyblue]Russia          [/color]Denmark      -23        Poland       -178       N/A         -200
[color=skyblue]Spain           [/color]Poland      +200        Austria      +180       Venice       +85
[color=skyblue]Sweden          [/color]England     +200        Netherlands   +45       Denmark      -28
[color=skyblue]Venice          [/color]Spain        +85        France        -58       Poland       -67
[/color][/font]

The Polish economic miracle of fortresses and manufactories all over the place has not, as Zygmunt III Wasa and Wladyslaw IV Wasa after him have been informing the Tsar several times, been fueled by the Polish economy minting coin to pay for expenses without outside assistance. Rather, Poland has been the most heavily subsidized country in existence, being subsidized in a major way by ALL major western powers, which leads to one inescapable conclusion: The Polish kings have been lying through their teeth when talking with the Tsar.

But why would they do that, unless they sought secret alliance abroad, that they preferred the Tsar to be ignorant of?

That is not what one would expect from one's allies, and as Tsar Mikhael thinks back to previous Polish reassurances of friendship, of support, of how the separate peace of 1612 was certainly not meant to harm Russia, of the Polish-Ottoman mutual military access and non-aggression pact, he cannot help but wonder: If the Polish kings were willing to lie about such a small matter, when the Tsar inquired out of personal interest, how can they be trusted to have spoken truly on more important matters affecting Russia itself?

He shies from the answer that suggests itself. He is old, and set in his ways. It will be up to Aleksey to deal with Poland in the future and hear Wladyslaw's reassurances, and, if necessary, take the necessary steps, even until a sundering of the Polish alliance.

The Tsars of Russia will not accept being treated as fools by anyone.

For Your Eyes Only – Losses in Recent Large Wars (1622-1645)

…Barnius VII “The Admiral” de Rico, Conselheiro Confidencial dos Reis, delivering the confidential information on recent wars and military losses to His Majesty King João IV …[/I]

Your Majesty, here you can see the losses in the recent wars. Colonial War for Texas (Spain versus Holland), War For Spanish Lowlands (Spain and Austria versus France, Holland and England, Brandenburg in the beginning on Austrian side and than on French side), Austrian Retaliation (Austria against Brandenburg), Colonial War for Brasil (Portugal against Holland) and quarrel between France and Portugal regarding Kongo (battles under TOT rules) are included.

Code:
                                         FRA       HOL       ENG       SPA       HAB       POR       BRA

Combat+Attrition Losses   Infantry   548.707   288.402    52.415   466.709   480.043   170.173    81.449
(soldiers and ships)      Cavalry    143.834    69.982     3.809    89.952   234.932    11.798    38.605
                          Artillery       27       189         6       111         0         0        12
                          Warships         2        87        59        87         0        52         0
                          Galleys          0         0         0         0         0         0         0
                          Transports       4        15         2         5         0         1         0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Combat+Attrition Losses   Infantry     2.750     4.270       640     7.430     2.980     2.510       650
(money without            Cavalry      1.300     2.150       120     2.240    1.920       450        620
mercenaries -             Artillery       70       500        20       520         0         0        40
only regular              Warships       150     3.220     1.850     7.360         0     1.840         0
recruitment               Galleys          0         0         0         0         0         0         0
assumed)                  Transports      80       140        20       110         0        10         0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Army Losses (d)                  4.120     6.920       780    10.190     4.900     2.960     1.310
Total Navy Losses (d)                    230     3.360     1.870     7.470         0     1.850         0
TOTAL LOSSES (d)                       4.350    10.280     2.650    17.660     4.900     4.810     1.310
Total Losses Versus 1645 Income          2,2       4,5       1,4       4,1       3,6       1,2       8,2

Note: Average inflation during the wars was taken into account for adjusting the prices of military units.[/color][/font]

The first was Spanish colonial war against Holland, which ended good for our allies: they got Dutch Texas colonies - four provinces, with one manufactory. Dutch didn’t have much chance with large Spanish colonial possessions in the neighbourhood.

The second war was supposed to be our colonial one, also against Holland, but as you know, our naval engineers were on the brink of the major discovery (OOC: new CRT level, that would give Portugal two levels advantage over Holland). So we waited… But Spain and Austria couldn’t…So the next war was declared by Spain with the goal to crush the Dutch rebellion and return the Lowlands to Spanish rule. We had nothing to gain here, and every day lost would postpone our plans, so we agreed to a white peace with France, Holland and England. While the bloodiest war ever was fought all over Europe, Portugal continued the policy of heavy investment in the naval technology.

The war over Lowlands was over. Our allies lost. Spain had to cede two more Caribbean islands to England, because Spanish navy has been repeatedly defeated by English one, although both sides suffered heavy losses. Our naval research was almost over, and Holland was celebrating the victory in Europe. Portugal demanded Holland to cede her colonies between our Brasil and Parana River, which was agreed to be the border between Spain and Portugal.

You know the rest Your Majesty: Holland refused to comply to our just demand, and the war started. The opposition was soon crushed all over the world, except in southernmost part of South America and our forces initiated sieges of many Dutch colonies. Palembang and Jambi in Asia, Tahiti in Pacific and three of five provinces south of Brasil. But Holland gathered a large expedition and landed in Uruguai, forcing us to retreat and regroup: while Tahiti and two Indonesian provinces were falling to our control, Holland concentrated her forces on Brazilian front and even made some success, chasing us further north. They were finally stopped in Salvador, but that was far from what was desired! We wanted to GET what was rightfully ours, not LOSE even more! Clearly, the key was control over seas. And to achieve that, we had to defeat 100 ship strong Dutch navy. We gathered all our near by fleets and Portugal finally had an indeed decisive naval victory. In one glorious battle off the coast of Brasil 160 Portuguese ships met 100 Dutch. The outcome was over 60 Dutch warships sent to the bottom of the sea:D. 20 ships more followed them while we were chasing panicked de Ruyter across the Southern Atlantic, until he finally managed to hide in some shitty harbour. The rest was easy: Portugal was able to ship reinforcements from Europe and Dutch forces were persistently driven further and further south, until only 7 man under Stuyvesant were left alive. Holland realised the resistance was futile and accepted our initial righteous demands. Portuguese Brasil now stretches all the way to the Parana River. But perhaps even more important result of this war is our complete dominance on seas, despite not insignificant losses we had in the war against Holland. For quite a some time we can be sure our 200 warships will rule the seas, because the competition is either too far behind in the naval technology, like England :D, or currently has no navy, like Holland :eek:.

And yes, there was that conflict with France. Not a war really, because relations between France and Portugal are very good. Austria is really much more guilty than France, because they sold those provinces, and France just took the opportunity to buy them. But nevertheless, after we just couldn’t bare this kind of humiliation any longer, we demanded what was by Gods will our.
Eventually we agreed with France and took only two provinces, one of which was later sold back to France. If nothing else, this should serve as the example how Portuguese property is to be treated: re-bought from the rightful owner!

For Your Eyes Only – Income of Major European Powers in 1644

…Barnius VII “The Admiral” de Rico, Conselheiro Confidencial dos Reis, delivering the confidential information on income of major European powers in 1644 to His Majesty King João IV …

1644-income-table.jpg

1644-income-graph.jpg

Notice that:
  • Portugal is just about to start declining :eek:
  • Spain and Holland are still rising despite of state of war present for ages.
  • Poland, Ottomans, France and Austria advanced REALLY a lot :wacko: as well as Venice and Denmark in the “poor countries” group :D
  • it is Ottomans and Poland who have the most manufactories!:(
  • Something has to be done with Sweden
  • Brandenburg is hopeless! Switching from Catholic league to the Protestant one, which is somewhat poorer, could cost it more than just a defeat and loss of two provinces. Could perhaps England and Holland decide it to be wise to finance this weak army with some swamps?:wacko:

For your eyes only: special report from the PTC Cartography Division

Your Highness, here are the maps of the Portuguese possessions around the world in the year 1645. You can also see some changes in borders between other neighboring countries.

In North America Denmark and France exchanged some provinces. Also Spain regained former Dutch colonies around the Mexican Gulf, but lost two more Caribbean islands to England.

1645-north America-caribbean.jpg

In Southern Atlantic area we managed to make some order. The border between our Brasil and Spanish Argentina is Parana River. In Africa we sold four of our small trading posts, two to France and two to Denmark, in the attempt to in the same time be generous and keep our interests in mind. Ottoman Empire, England and France should now decide how to divide the rest of the western Africa.

1645-south atlantic.jpg

Not much is changed in Indian Ocean. Mughals are a bit stronger and Persia is a bit weaker. Our possessions remain as in 1622 and other colonial powers were smart enough to stay out.

1645-indian ocean.jpg

The same is in the Indonesia and in the Northern Pacific. Holland managed to keep her two Indonesian islands…

1645-pacific.jpg

…and even colonized a new one eastern of Australia!

1645-australia.jpg

In Europe Spain continued the good practice of leasing us smaller islands. This time it’s Canaries and Balearics for the future services of our victorious navy.

1645-europe.jpg

Growth and Growability

The Polish Question: 1600-1645

The Poland of the early17th century was one that was in the midst of growing pains. However, this was not because it was growing...But because of the fact that it wasn't. To the west, north, east and south, Poland could see all of it's principle neighbours expanding in ways that it could only dream of. To the east, Russia had the unlimited wealth of Siberia stretching all the way to the Pacific at it's disposal. To the south, the Ottoman Empire was conquering new regions that the Wasa dynasty had never even heard of. Vast tracts of rich land that were there for the taking. To the west, Austria was expanding considerably at the expense of the minor german statelets and it's little ally Venice was devouring the wealthy italian peninsula. In the north, it seemed like the sky was the limit for the burgeoning Swedish kingdom, with all the riches and manpower of Denmark and northern germany for the taking, through the aid of it's godlike generals. It was Catholic, in a sea of Protestant,Orthodox and Muslim.

In the middle of all of this, lay Poland. A vast land of long borders, decent manpower and mediocore wealth that was second or third to each of it's neighbours. In a one on one war, it was helpless against the financial and military might of Russia, the Ottomans or the Habsburgs, and could not compete with the amazing Swedish leaders. It had no easy route of growth. There were no brave explorers or strong fleets that flew the Polish flag, and there were no great generals willing to lead it in the conquering of weaker neighbours. It was also realized that if Poland's borders were to be expanded at all, it would have to be done in a delicate manner, and always in alliance with at least two of it's strongest neighbours. Even then, the gains would no doubt be paltry, but it was the only way. Poland was not destined for a sprawling empire. It would only hurt itself, if it were to try. It would be like fitting a circle into a square. Yes, it could be done with enough pushing, but it would never fill the space like a true square could. Better to be a perfect circle then an fatally flawed square.

It was the circle which was the true inspiration for Poland's policies throughout the 17th century. Perfectly balanced and in direct coordination with all other aspects, it was completely self sufficient. But only a fool would believe that becoming self sufficient relied on being completely self sufficed.

Poland required outside investment to give it a head start. It was for this reason that it approached Spain and Austria and after a little negotiation, joined the Habsburg Alliance, despite the recent war that was fought over northern germany, when Poland was still trying to be a square. Likewise, it did it's best to cement firm bonds of friendship to the east with Russia. Yet it knew that that for peace, one must prepare for war, and that the Tsars would no doubt be tempted in the future to expand westwards upon growing tired of Siberia. With this in mind, Poland began a vigorous building campaign. The first of which it was to begin, and the most destined. To begin with, it knew that a catholic province of a different culture would be less appetizing then an Orthodox one, so it began to convert it's entire eastern half to Catholocism. Secondly, it knew that even a catholic province would be tempting if it was undefended, so another major building campaign would bring the entire eastern border, some eight provinces in length, up to a medium fortress.

This was a considerable investment, and Poland knew that if it were to do it alone, it would soon have little time to invest in the badly needed infrastructure tech, which had only turned level 4 in 1603. Thus, it sought outside investment. It did not receive very much, yet what it did receive, was very helpful in taking a little of the burden off of Poland's shoulders. It would be a tragedy though, to account for even 10% of the work done, as being from foreign funding alone.

Soon, there came a time when Poland had to choose whether it wanted to remain friends and allies with Russia or Sweden. It was the same decision that it was forced to make in the south with Austria and the Ottoman Empire (in this case, allies or friendly neutral), and it had chosen to side with Austria, which resulted in the Habsburgs taking all of Hungary from the Ottomans and letting Poland have Moldavia.

Yet, the northern question was far more personal. Poland had to decide which country was more dangerous to have as a foe. The gifted Swedish generals or the Russian hordes? After much deliberation, Poland chose to side with Russia. It gained two provinces of the Baltic coast off of Sweden in the ensuing war, yet the Swedes desired revenge. The retaliation came swift and sudden in a second war. Gustav Adolphus lead a 55k strong army on a vicious campaign, sweeping all of western poland with it, until he died in the attempting assault of Warsaw. 16k Russian cavalry then arrived, and prolonged the assault long enough for 80k Polish troops to enter, and with their combined might, destroyed the Swedish army, which retreated across the river into Wielpolaska. Though still under a mighty leader and reinforced with 20k more troops landing in Danzig, the Polish army then completely annihilated the smaller Swedish force and thus ended the Great Northern War, which saw Russia make considerable gains.

Thus, the number of Poland's formidable neighbours fell from 4 to 3.

The next twenty years in Europe were tumultuous for the other nations, yet was relatively peaceful for Poland. It continued to invest in it's infrastructure, and was finally rewarded by being able to place govenors in all of it's provinces, which was a significant boost to it's finaces. It also begin a concentrated campaign of expanding it's trade. While too poor to compete with the likes of Portugal or the Ottoman Empire, Poland was able to secure many trading agreements, which lessened the burden of competition. It was able to secure these trading agreements in large part because of it's cordial, and friendly neutralistic manner. The crowning achievement of the last decade was a building campaign which lasted six years and saw no less then six weapons manufacturies built. These manufacturies would go a long way towards providing the needed boost that Poland would require if it wanted to keep up with it's neighbours in the arms race. Happily, the populace also rose up and summarily executed nearly the the entire Sejm. Many of whom became overseas merchants as a result.

Yet Poland faced one more crisis towards the middle of the 17th century. Namely, the fact that it had a half dozen provinces of a different religion, and thus were contributing significantly towards the instability of the nation. Secondly, it was known that a Protestant province would be desired by Protestant nations, and a Orthodox one by Orthodox nations. It was in this fashion, in the interest of self-defense, that a strongly militaristic faction took control of the government. Brandenburg would be relieved of Prussia, which was absolutely vital to self-defense, and the outlying territories would be converted at all expenses to the state religion.

Last edited:
New lands
1600-1645
a Danish AAR

Exploring the world
At the start of the 17th century the Danish merchants was eager to find the seaways to the west where prosporous lands were said to be. The King, Christian IV, where persuaded by this talk and financed an expedition. The expedition was lead by the daring naval commander Jens Munk. Munks expedition boldly explored the eastern coastline of the Americas down to the English and Spanish Caribbean islands.

Most of the newly found lands were settled by Spaniards, Englishmen, Frenchmen and even Dutch people but one day, Munks right hand, Ove Gjedde landed with a few hundred men in a marchland on the southeastern tip of North America. Gjedde met a lot of hostile natives but there were no sign of any Europeans. Soon all the peninsula, called Florida by the natives, was explored and claimed on behalf of the Danish Crown and Det danske handelskompani. In 1620 the colony Nye Sjaelland was built there.

With the success of Munks and Gjeddes achievements more expeditions were equipped in Denmark. The most successful of these were the expeditions led by Tonder and Christiansen. With these three expedition most of the Atlantic Ocean was swiftly discovered revealing the Grand Portuguese Colonial Empire for Danish eyes. Cape Horn and Cape of Good Hope was rounded and Danish ships went as far as Jakarta to the East and Chile to the West. Trading posts and small settlements for supplying Danish ships were settled in Guinea and Angola on the African coastline.

While the African colonies remained small and undeveloped the Florida colony grew rapidly as it was much closer by and also more habitable dispite its swamps. Nye Sjaelland became the crown jewel of the Danish colonial empire.

Brandenburg liberation
During the Danish period of mapping the world a great war was tearing Europe apart. Spain attacked the Netherlands in order to regain the once lost lowlands but the war evolved into including all of Europe but Denmark and the alliance consisting of Poland, Russia and Venice.

In North Germany Brandenburg fought alone against the superior troops and leaders of Sweden. When the Brandenburg forces were beaten to the ground their king and general Friedrich Wilhelm asked for permission to flee into Danish Mecklemburg. On the terms that any troops that fled into Danish lands would remain out of the war he was allowed to enter Denmark. The Swedes marched on and won easily against the remaining defenders. When a Swedish victory was obvious King Gustav II Adolf generously refrained from demanding anything from Brandenburg but for the people to rise against the Emperor and return to Protestantism.

To convince the remaining North German states of Hannover and Hessen to return to Protestantism, Denmark joined Sweden and Brandenburg in an protestant alliance. This must have angered the Emperor because the protestant alliance was almost immediality declared war upon by the Imperial alliance. Denmark and Portugal hasted to agree on remaining at peace but the Imperial forces pressed on north with much success. In 1645 Mecklemburg was taken by an Austrian army and Denmark itself was threatend.

Anno 1645 - The year of treaties

Treaty of Vienna (II)
After Brandenburg was forced to the peacetable by the Emperor Denmark looked to be next. But then the Emperor displayed his wisdom and reconsidered on the religious matter. Together with the Danish and French Kings, the Emperor signed the new Treaty of Vienna, replacing the old and outdated treaty. The German Princes were now allowed to choose their religion on the terms that they swore loyalty to the Emperor. The Danish king did this by parting his Duchy of Mecklemburg from the Kingdom of Denmark, thus gaining two Elector votes. Peace was also concluded between Denmark and the Imperial alliance.

Treaty of Seminole
In order to consolidate their colonial holdings France and Denmark agreed on exchanging some colonies. The Guinea and Florida colonies were given to France and the Bahamas island and the Hudson colonies to Denmark.

The Angola purchase
The Portuguese Trading Company sold the West African colonies of Cabinda, Luanda and the rights to Zaire to Det danske handelskompani, thus expanding Danish African holdings and further strengthening the Danish-Portuguese relations.

Last edited:
Treaty of Finland, 1645

Whereas the Tsar of Russia, Mikhael I Romanov, is desiring of ending the decades of Conflict with Sweden, and whereas the deserted reaches of Finland have already soaked up enough of Swedish and Russian blood, and whereas it is the desire of the Crown of Sweden to normalize relations with Great Russia,

The most imperious and terrible Tsar of Russia, Mikhael I Romanov, overlord of the Russians, the Ugrics, the Altai, the Georgians, and the Steppe Dummies, restorer of the true might of the Eastern Empire, shield of the faithful, humbler of Persia, after long deliberations with the Crown of the Sweden, proclaim the Treaty of Finland, to be carried out immediately upon the signature of the two Crowns:

• That all of Swedish Finland, the provinces of Finland, Nyland, and Österbotten, be ceded from Sweden to Russia, to be under the direct administration of the Tsar of Russia in Perpetuity
  • That the treasury of Russia pays to the Crown of Sweden a sum of no less than 4,000d over the next five years, as due payment for the ownership of Finland
  • That the Swedish-Russian animosity by this action be buried in the dust-heap of history, that a new era of prosperity and progress may replace the quarrels of old

Moreover, the heir to the Throne of Imperial Russia, Aleksey, affirms the terms of the treaty and looks forwards to a bright age of co-operation.

By Their Hands,
Mikhael I Romanov, Tsar of Russia
Aleksey Romanov, Heir to the Tsar
Kristina, Swedish Broad

France - interlude and portents

“Porthos, the bridge!” Rushing down the narrow street across the river could be seen a squad of the Cardinal’s guards, red cloaks billowing in the breeze and swords raised high.

With a quick riposte Athos disarmed his opponent and sent a thundering fist crashing into his face and catapulting the guard into the river where he resurfaced a moment later cursing and spluttering at the musketeer. “Come my young friend, I think it is time we departed this scene” the elder man said, tapping his companion on the shoulder. “Porthos, get a move on man” he shouted at another musketeer battling for his life against two of the Cardinals guards. Gathering up his plumed hat he gave a quick flourishing bow to the crowd before planting a foot in the stirrup of his horse and vaulting to its back.

Porthos meanwhile had disengaged from his opponents and dashed towards a dockside warehouse, one of the many lining the riverbank. Grabbing hold of one of the winching ropes hanging down from an awning he swung around in a graceful sweep before crashing back into his astonished pursuers and bowling them over.

“Stop playing with them man” Athos shouted back as the musketeer clambered up onto a nearby cart half loaded with wares, “Aramis is going to wonder where we’ve got to!” With a jerk of the reigns he sent it lumbering forward directing it onto the bridge where with a final click of the reigns and slap on the horses rump he deftly jumped off and dashed back to his horse.

With a nonchalant wave to the crowd the three musketeers departed the scene with the Cardinals guards milling in the background in confusion and anger.

“Those cursed men!”

“Why do you put up with them your eminence? My own guards can keep order and fulfil all the duties of the musketeers.”

Staring carefully at the moustachioed man before him the Cardinal frowned. “Your performance in trying to arrest three individuals this afternoon doesn’t fill me with such confidence Captain! No no, don’t give me any more excuses” he waving his hand in a dismissive gesture as the captain of his guard started to protest, “it seems a difference approach is required…”

The three men entered the inn to a wave of boisterous sound coming from within.

“Look, there’s Aramis, drinking the innkeep dry as normal. Come let us regal him with words of our victory! A toast innkeeper!” With a shout of greeting the musketeers went to join their friend and begin an evening of regaling the inns inhabitants with tales of their latest exploits that afternoon.

The evening was nearing its end when a hooded man entered the inn and approached the innkeeper. Bending his head close to the man some whispered words passed his lips before he proceeded up the stairs to vanish into one of the rooms. Some minutes later the innkeeper approached the table of the musketeers. Porthos was still standing on the table, a jug of ale in one hand and in deep oration to an inn that was largely ignoring him. The young boy D’Artagnan was slumped unconscious on the table, Aramis beside him. Only Athos eyed the innkeeper as he approached them.

”A problem my friend?”

“A guest requests your company for a few moments my Lord and that of your companions.”

Raising an eyebrow Athos eyed the innkeeper carefully before levering himself to his feet. “Come my friends” he finally shouted, slapping his companions to rouse them from their stupor and dragging Porthos from the table.

“But I was just getting to the part where I rescued the counts wife…”

“Your tale will have to wait my friend. Unless I miss my mark a more interesting encounter awaits us upstairs.”

A few minutes later the musketeers slowly climbed the stairs in various degrees of inebriation before knocking on the door. “Enter” a voice called out, it’s owner still dark hooded and seated at a small table towards the rear of the room.

“So, the famous musketeers, you caused quite a stir this afternoon.”

“Our pleasure Monsieur, Porthos at your service.” Stepping forward the rotund man swept off his hat and bowed to the stranger, stumbling off balance in the process before Athos grabbed his belt to steady him.

“It was not said as a compliment Monsieur Porthos” replied the stranger. Raising his hands he slowly removed the hood.

“Mazarin!” whispered Aramis in a hushed tone.

“Quite so. I see you at least Athos are not surprised?”

“No your eminence, I noticed the hem of your gown pocking through as you entered the inn and spotted a squad of your guards loitering outside. It was not hard to make the connection.”

“Excellent! I knew I hadn’t underestimated you. It is for just such reasons I have need of the services of men such as you.”

“The musketeers serve the King not the Cardinal.”

“Boldly said my young Gascon,” Mazarin turned to D’Artagnan, the youngest of the musketeers, “yet the musketeers serve France do they not, and at this juncture in time I am France! But enough of this, I have a task for you that even such noble hotheads as yourselves should approve…”

The next morning the four companions departed Paris heading east and travelling like the wind. “But I don’t understand” shouted D’Artagnon to Athos as they thundered down the road.

“I agree with the boy, perhaps it’s a trick Athos.”

“If it is we will soon find out. Until then we must do as the Cardinal bides. Come my friend we ride for France and the King!”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Closing the book the old man sighed deeply. “Now it’s time for sleep my son.”

“Awe father, read me some more. Pleeeze. I want to know what happens next.”

“Another time son."

"But father I leave on the boat tomorrow. Just one more chapter?"

"You must be fresh in the morning and the hour grows late. Suffice it to say that the musketeers faced many perilous adventures, much intrigue and the threat of death at every corner, but in the end they accomplish their mission and helped France enforce the peace treaty over the religious wars of northern Germany. When they returned to Paris they helped the king put down the Fronde rebellion and restored peace once more to the kingdom. Now sleep well my son, you have an important day tomorrow. When you meet the captain you must be wide awake and on your best behaviour.”

Leaning down the old man kissed the boys brow before snuffing out the candle. Outside a harsh wind blew across the harbour of Corsica, portent of a coming storm perhaps, or omen of the future?

Austria, the years of peace

Austria during 1645-1670 was a peaceful land, following the treaty of Vienna which finally settled the ongoing wars with France and the German protestant states. While the religious peace was not entirely to our liking, they were still protestants after all, we grew tired of slaughtering them for no apparent gain. Extracting an oath of loyalty from them was good enough and besides, a large part of the Empire was now a part of the Habsburg domain and the finally provinces were being brought into the Catholic fold.

We used the years of peace to good effect, giving our nation a unified law system, gaining more control over our Hungarian lands and avoided taking part in the colonial wars going on between our allies and the rest of the west. Had there been a successful negotiation with Poland over the fate of Ruthenia, then these years would have been a period of unimaginable success for our people.

Alas it was not.

There was only one part of the old Kingdom of Hungary which was not part of our realm, that being the province of Ruthenia. Negotiations did happen between us and the Poles, to bring the province to us peacefully, but they were half hearted, as the poles wanted Silesia for it, a foolhardy demand if ever there was one. So Austria began to gather her armies, secure in the fact that the bulk of her borders were secure and made one last demand was made for Ruthenia to be sold to us, but these failed.

The war with Poland could go have already been over, if we had struck first before the Poles were ready. They had a fairly small army and several of their provinces were not well defended. However we made a mistake and by the time we declared war on them, they were able to greatly expand their army and several cities.

Currently the war is not in full swing. Though we declared war on them, we were not fully ready, and we are taking a defensive posture in the war. Yet in a year or two more, things will hopefully change, our resources, armies and manpower is greater then theirs, and things should change.

The Ottoman Empire : 1620 - 1670

Osman II 1618 - 1622
The reign of Osman II was a time of trouble for the Ottoman court. Osman himself was a revolutionary man and when seeing the plight Sultana Közem had put on the mass of the peasantry, he despaired. Közem, a woman more interested in the strengthening of the economy than the happyness of the lower classes was entirely indifferent to the young Sultans proposals of easening the grip on the farmers.
s16-osman2.jpg

The Ottoman state, as she saw it, was on its way into decline and you had to sacrifice something in order to thwart that trend.
Still, Osman began fussing and making trouble for her. When he began planning a pilgrimage to Mecca, which was in effect just a means to gather a rebellious army in Egypt, she had him locked in. Somehow, a small corps of Janissary troops managed to get into the heavily guarded palace, bypassing the gate that was guarded day and night, some way sneaking past the Royal Maze, filled with traps that only the Grand Vezier himself could avoid and getting into the "Hole", a prison for various high rankning officials that Közem thought were too embarassing. There, they somehow managed to open the two hundred and twenty thousand locks that guarded the door into Osmans chamber and finally suceeding in strangling him to death. Közem of course, blamed it all on the Grand Vezier and dispatched him with his head in a basket. He had been making some trouble lately anyway...

Murad IV 1622 - 1640

So, when Közem had got rid of Osman, she appointed her good ol´son Murad. Murad was very much his moms child at first. He obeyed her every command and for some time, Közem was the most influential woman in the world, now being in control of the military too instead of just the economy.
During his reign, the economy started to boom. The pacifistic policy of his mother began to take effect and with the low supply and maintenance costs, coupled with a very rapid industrialization, Anatolia was soon the main producer of wine and weapons. Enormous amounts of grapes, steel and copper were shipped from Europe and the middle east to be processed in the Turkish factories. Közem did not rely on the relative wealth of trade and invested minimal sums in it.
s17-murad4.jpg

No, what she wanted was a solid economical ground, trade could just as well dissapear thanks to an unfortunate year or low stability. The factories would still be there and that was what mattered. The richness of the Empire also grew, bypassing various European upstarts and landing on third place behind the tradefat, goldsick iberians. All in all, the Ottoman economy was the healthiest and most stable by far.

The Sultana also used her grip on the army to expand the Empire. Persia had been attacked by the mighty Mughals a few years earlier and the Safavid forces were tied up miles from their capital. This was the final time of revenge. A combined army of three hundred thousand soldiers, mostly consisting of infantry, poured over the border in 1634. The various and minor resistance they met would do little in the face of such a horde!
The peace treaty was humiliating for the Safavids, they had to give up Azerbajdzan, Kirkuk and Iraq, the Ottomans now holding the wonderful city of Baghdad!
post-6-1068170105.jpg

Sadly, the smelling Russians took the opportunity of the falling Persia and took Daghestan, now setting the Turko-Russian border in a dangerous Russian advantage.
During this period, the Spahis revolted for the umpteenth time. Spahi leaders invaded the palace and demanded that the grand Vezier and sixteen other high officials would be executed. Murad did not accept this, and put down the rebellion in a bloody manner. All the ones active, as well as all suspected, were also executed.
The time was well and Közem was happy with her sons wisdom not to cross her path. Sadly, he wanted more power and when the Sultana discovered this, Murad luckily managed to die from his alcoholic tendencies.

Ibrahim I 1640 - 1648

So Közem got her second son to the throne, this time making sure that he would in no possible way be able to come to power. She continued her economic and pacifistic policy.
In 1642 however, Közem was the victim of a bloody accident. While out hunting together with various officials and high ranking generals, as well as a Polish duke on pilgrimage to Mecca and a German noble who had defected from the ranks of the Habsburg a few years earlier, the party was attacked by a straying band of robbers. This fact is very controversial, as due to the high industrialization and well funded policeforce the Anatolian region and most certainly the areas around Istanbul, had been cleared from larger forces bandits many years before. More likely Közem was the subject of court schemes.
Nevertheless, she managed to escape from the marauders but with the price of being terribly wounded. An arrow had struck right through her back almost damaging her vital organs. She would never recuperate from this injury and she also lost control of power during her time of infirmiarity.

Ibrahim quickly saw this as his time of opportunity to be free of the shackles her mother had created. He locked Közem in the "Hole" and took complete control of the power that he was entitled to.
Ibrahim proved to be a very able ruler in some areas. His economic mind matched that of his mother and the awaited effect of economic stagnation never happened. Diplomatically, he was far from the best though.
s18-ibrahim.jpg

The Ottoman allies of Morocco had for more than 150 years resisted repeated proposals of incorporation into the Empire. The alliance had never been one of good will anyway, but more of the nature that both parties needed the other for different reasons. Morocco needed security against Iberian and English interests and the Turks needed Morocco to be able to gain access to her West African possessions. Ibrahim simply solved the issue by invading the country with about 150 thousand troops. The action shattered the diplomatic mood in the muslim world, but none wanted to go against the mightiest power of them all. All her realms except the city of Fez were annexed into the Empire. The last remnants of this Barbaric state were also forced into alliance with the Sultan, after numerous threats and briberies. The rest of Ibrahims reign was quite peaceful though and despite a few other diplomatic failures, the Empire continued to prosper.
In 1648 Ibrahim, tired of ruling and wishing to be left alone, left the throne and went to live on the countryside.

Mehmed IV 1648 - ?

From when he accessed the throne, Mehmed was a minor. His grandmother, Közem (again dammit!) took over the reins, but despite being happy to again being the centre of power, her injury some years earlier prevented her from ruling properly. Instead, it was the Albanian Mehmet Köprülü Pasha who took power as the Grand Vezier of the Sultan. Him and his family would rule the Empire much as Közem had done the previous decades, mainly as a background figure pulling the strings. In 1652, Közem had become too troublesome for Köprülü and was simply dispatched by being drowned in a river. The woman who had once been the mighiest woman in the world, humbled Persia, brought the Empire to unknown heights of economy, ensured peace and stability, enhanced the army and much more was now dead in such a shameful way. During the last years of her life, her contact network had deteriorated, but the event still shattered the court for months! In the city and even in the nearing countryside people gathered and cried for her departure.

Now, Mehmet Köprülü Pasha was in full control of the power and maybe now it was time for the Empire to break free from her one and a half century of isolation?

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

King Louis XIV of France, on reaching his majority began considering new ambitions for his nation. Whilst the colonies still interested him he now turned his eye back once more upon Europe and European affairs. A canny diplomat he saw the Spanish as a perfect partner for France in Europe and to that end he continued to follow the policies set out before him by Mazarin of continuing to garner closer ties with Spain.

Now in the year 1670 France and Spain are ready to announce to the world that these two great powers shall be allies from henceforth, each leaving their current alliance and forming a new one.

In a separate statement Louis sent his well wishes to the English monarch for he didn’t leave the English alliance on bad terms and still held the English in very high regard. To the Dutch his tone was more neutral for the Dutch had never sat comfortably with France since the incident over Munster which had led to France's greatest ever defeat. Still some commentators took this aloofness as now being caused by the enmity of his new ally to the Netherlands and therefore an inevitable effect.

February 9th, 1670

France 1645 to 1670

What can I say of France in those days? The treaty of Vienna had just been signed bringing to a close the wars of religion in Northern Germany. A young boy was on the throne in Paris and the country was ruled effectively by his Prime Minister Mazarin.

In the colonies Spain and Portugal had inflicted grievous defeat upon the Dutch in South America, but this was far from French interests who’s merchants and sailors hadn’t even mapped out those far shores.

Instead French explorers ventured eastwards to the Indies, following in the footsteps of past expeditions and slowly uncovering the islands of Indonesia, surprisingly bereft of all Europeans except the sly Portuguese who seemingly held a monopoly on trade across the whole globe.

It was to Africa that France directed her colonists during this period expanding the coastal settlements by the Congo and waging a short victorious war against Songhai to further expand her coastal holdings and bringing her into contact with the Ottomans who ruled the interior.

In circa 1650 the Spanish decided to attempt to recover some of their Carribean Islands from the English, lost in the decades before. It was at this point that Mazarin realised France had not a navy to speak of, and although what there was attempted to shuttle reinforcements into the English colonies the Portuguese fleet was always there to intercept them, sending many French sailors to their watery grave. Despite skirmishing with the Spanish in North America, when the English navy was defeated the allies had to concede defeat. Victory had been delivered by the Portuguese, and seemingly all of Europe now was eager to see the Portuguese brought to task.

After rebuilding their navies during the 1650’s England and Holland approached France with an eye to that end too. Representatives from two major powers in Europe also approached France wishing to war upon Portugal, yet Mazarin wasn’t looking for a global war with the Iberians, he had invested far too much time and effort building up French relationships with Spain to throw it all away in a European war against Spain and Portugal, for war against Portugal in Europe would mean war against Spain too. His predecessor had 20 years earlier seen his diplomatic efforts scuppered, not that it had been Richelieu’s fault, but Mazarin was adamant HE wouldn’t be the one to start a war with Spain now and destroy all his plans.

So thanking those nations who expressed support for a war against Portugal and heeding the groundswell of opinion from his allies and Europe as a whole that Portuguese ambitions had to be contained, France agreed with her allies that she would commit her forces in Africa to the cause and between them they would hopefully at least dent Portuguese holdings. The war was delayed somewhat however when Mazarin succumbed to illness and finally died in 1660. By now Louis was 22 years old and had been involved in the governance of France for some time, learning his trade at the hand of a master and fully conversant with Mazarins dealing with Spain. Even so he had his own thoughts and ambitions to pursue and his own ideas on how best to conduct the coming colonial war. Firstly he wanted a strong navy for France before committing to any action in the colonies, and when France committed he wanted her to strike hard!

So it was that a great naval building program was implemented, more than tripling the French fleet within a couple of years. Perhaps thankfully for France the new fleet still saw little action to warrant the expense in the ensuing war for barring all but Spain her strength was still minor upon the ocean waves. Even so France finally had a navy if not exactly to be proud of, then at least something to warrant some thoughts of fondness towards.

The Dutch finally declared war in the late 1660’s and Louis ordered the French forces to begin moving down the coast of Africa whilst giving explicit orders to avoid all hostilities with the Spanish for whom he was in secret negotiations. This war was again Portugal he stated and France would restrict it to such. Permission had been gained prior to engagement from the Danish government to pass through their holdings yet still the bulk of the French force was transported down the coast by the French fleet both for speed and to avoid excessive attrition though they were every fearful of the Portuguese navy. In a slow but methodical procession all of South Africa was put under French control whilst English and Dutch success varied in Brazil where the rest of the allies were fighting. It can be said that the French successes in Africa were the key to final victory for it is doubtful the England and Dutch would have ultimately triumphed in Brazil by most accounts. Yet when the rich trading port of Transkei fell to French forces it signalled the final Portuguese surrender. It was a heady day in Paris when the English signed that peace treaty gaining England the rich province of Recife in Brazil and France the two South African colonies of Table and Karroo. Louis was somewhat surprised that the English gave nothing to reward their Dutch allies, but alas such is the perfidy of allies.

With his commitment to his allies complete as well as fullfiling the last legacy of Mazarin, Louis was free now to plan his own designs which differed significantly from his predecessor. From his holdings in South Africa he made no secret that he wanted to secure that area now for French interests and as such made a grand offer to buy up the surrounding Portuguese holdings up to the Cickei river for a King’s ransom and certain other conditions that favoured the Portuguese. The PTC as yet have not given an answer on the matter but silence is not promising. It can be said though that colonisation was not foremost on Louis’ mind at that time and that he was looking with more and more of an eye upon Europe. His secret dealings with the Spanish attested to such when building upon the contacts made by Mazarin in the preceding decades he secured an alliance with the Spanish in 1670. An alliance with the Spanish clearly meant France was not interested in war over new colonies, rather Louis clearly had his sights set on Europe, but where exactly?

Calling upon the lawyers and priests of the realm he ordered them to riffle through the ancient documents and manuscripts. To study all the royal family trees of Europe. Louis was looking for a pretext, something to give legitimacy to a push eastwards and another reckoning with France’s old enemy Austria!

It would take some time still to manifest for Louis was determined that all would be official, so despite the Polish/Austrian war raging in the east he ordered his forces to wait until the lawyers reported back. He wanted nobody to be able to say he acted rashly!!

shield_HOL.gif
[size=big]Holland 1647-1670: the years of reconstruction[/size]
shield_HOL.gif

After the major defeat against the Portuguese navy in the last colonial war, everything had to be rebuilt. After more than 20 years of rule, Frederik-Hendrik of Nassau decided he was no longer strong enough to lead such a change and stepped over in favor of his brother Willem II of Nassau.

A rapid analysis of the causes of the defeat against PTC showed that the main lack and weakness of the country was the backwardness of the navy. A huge ship-building program was therefore started in Amsterdam and other cities. In the same time, the training of officers and sailors was improved with the creation of the Amsterdam Naval School of Strategy.

mach2_hol_fleet.jpg

It was also decided to continue the colonial expansion in the Pacific Ocean by creating and developing the settlements in a new discovered land. The first settlers tried to befriend the natives, but the Maoris refused any agreement and had to be subdued by force...

Mach_NZ.jpg

Tasman brings supplies for the settlers​

After a few years, things started to look brighter: the size of the navy had more than doubled (it was still quite small compared to the Portuguese one…), its training had increased which made it the equal of the Portuguese and the colonization of New-Zeeland went rather well… But everything seemed lost in a few days when the Iberian alliance declared a colonial war on our British allies. It was decided to come to their help, despite the unprepared state of the navy.

Despite a few early successes in Spanish Argentina, Peter Stuyvesant couldn’t resist the larger Dutch force and had to retreat. In the mean time De Ruyter had to retreat against a Portuguese fleet twice his size…

mach2_war1_blockade.jpg

De Ruyter blockaded by the Portuguese fleet​

The war was rapidly won by the Iberian alliance as England and France couldn’t resist the Spanish army and the Portuguese navy in the Caribbean Islands.

After this new humiliation the naval program was even increased: tens of ships were built in all the ports, funding were sent to the French king in order to help him improve his navy (not the last time the French should be thankful for the Dutch…), fortifications were improved in South America and New Zeeland… The allies were willing to avenge their defeat!

After years of preparation by the 3 allies (and France wasn’t the last one willing to fight…), a colonial war was finally declared against Portugal in 1-67. The allies had hoped that Spain might not join, but it finally did, for our great dismay…

While France attacked and occupied Portuguese South Africa, our combined navy with England prevented any real success for the Portuguese one. As a consequence, the English were able to storm many colonies in Northern Brazil. Stuyvesant tried to do the same in the South, but the intervention of the Spanish juggernaut rapidly turned the tide in their favor… Dutch possessions in South America were threatened and were only saved by the peace deal made by England, mostly in favor of France (if we had know at the time the future treason of Louis the 14th…)

mach2_war2_defeat.jpg

The Spanish invasion of Dutch Argentina​

What can be said of this war: it has shown that the improvement of the navy was a success as it is now second only to the Portuguese one and even better trained… On the other hand it has also shown that not much can be done against Portugal as long as it is protected by Spain… Maybe the new alliance configuration will change that...