LIVE - BATTLETECH 1.2.0 Release Notes, MechWarrior Abilities Re-Spec Beta, and More!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I appreciate the update. Some good changes. I love the new "All" selector and how the selectors now work in the mech lab and the store. And I especially like that this update resolved the crash-on-startup problem I've had the past week. I can play my game again :)

Still no economy overhaul :(
I've posted about this before, but just a brief reason why an economy overhaul is so desperately needed:
TBT-5N single piece "Partial mech salvage" price to buy with 10% reputation discount: $504,000.
TBT5N complete fully functional battlemech price to sell in the same system: $471,040.
Now maybe it makes sense in a used car market for a fender to cost more than the car you'll put it on, but battlemechs aren't used cars.

I know it's difficult to make a balanced economy that is a challenging aspect of the game while still keeping it fun to play. But selling mechs for 10% of their market value just doesn't make any sense. It may provide the challenge, but it ruins the balance and even some of the fun, especially for some of us old-school fans. There are plenty of suggestions on the forums for how to improve the economy, and there are plenty of old Battletech and Mechwarrior games that had working, well-balanced, and lore-accurate economies.

Please give the economy the attention it deserves.

You only ever buying parts or selling mech in extreme situations of which I haven't ran into after 250hr of gameplay so whether the resell is 10% or 90%, it wouldn't matter at all to most players.

Greetings MechWarriors!
It is okay to disagree with others' opinions, and or not like changes that are made; however, please be civil and respectful towards everyone when posting.
Calling out things we don't like as 'lazy' is not respectful.
As such some post may have experienced a jump drive malfunction.

Thank you
Timaeus

You only ever buying parts or selling mech in extreme situations of which I haven't ran into after 250hr of gameplay so whether the resell is 10% or 90%, it wouldn't matter at all to most players.
You and I play the game very differently. And that's OK and the game seems to be designed for players like you. But a good half of the reason I bought the game was for the economic sim within the Battletech universe I love, and for players like me the game misses that mark.

I don't want to hijack the patch thread, but if you want to discuss the economy further I posted a more detailed thread about it here.
tl;dr: I know balancing an in-game economy isn't easy and it also isn't a high priority for the devs when players are demanding fixes elsewhere and the economy isn't even a primary aspect of the game. But there's a few of us in the community who still want to see the economy get more attention and I'm just trying to keep the subject from getting lost in the milieu.

[Mod edit: Please don't reply to yellow mod posts. Site rules. Use PM.Thanks, Havamal]

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside, you can adjust significant portions of the economy in the simgame constants json. Things like pilot pay and mech maintenance cost. I generally halve the pilots pay myself. Not sure if the base mech sale price is in that file,but it does hold a lot of global settings.

How do we actually opt into the public test beta? I can't find info on that anywhere
EDIT: This issue is resolved. The Abilities Revision Beta is avaiable for download.

It looks like the MechWarrior Ability Revision Beta may have been taken down.

Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Last edited:

EDIT: This issue is resolved. The Abilities Revision Beta is avaiable for download.

It should have been a drop-down option here. But there is currently no drop-down option for the Ability Revision.

(pic removed)

Last edited:

This isn't something we could tell without leaving and trying to opt back in, is it?

This isn't something we could tell without leaving and trying to opt back in, is it?
I left earlier today and reinstalled the vanilla version of the game so I could participate in an ongoing tournament.

But as it turns out, the Beta is still available. You just can't see the option to download it if you already have a game running... not even just to take a screen capture so you can show someone where to find the option. :shrug: : )

I left earlier today and reinstalled the vanilla version of the game so I could participate in an ongoing tournament.

But as it turns out, the Beta is still available. You just can't see the option to download it if you already have a game running... not even just to take a screen capture so you can show someone where to find the option. :shrug: : )
Ah. That makes sense. Opting in or out of a beta automatically updates a game, and doing that while said game was running could cause problems.

How do we actually opt into the public test beta? I can't find info on that anywhere
For Steam, right click on the Battletech, go to Properties and their should be a tab for Betas. The public_beta should be available there. (I don't have BT through Steam, so I can't test this directly).

For GoG, on the game screen, click on More and select Settings. On the Settings screen, the option to opt in to the beta will be on the right. Turn Beta Channels on, then select the public_preview channel.
settings 1.png

settings.png

My suggestion, BEFORE YOU CHANGE THE SKILLS, CHANGE THE AI. Specifically, when it is literally 2 to 1 in units RIGHT FROM THE beginning of the battle. Help for the AI, is supposed to be help, as in it takes time. Alot of these mission, its not help, THEY are already there. You wanna know why Bulwark is so good, It is because you stack the deck so far with the reinforcements that we are fighting 12 to 4, and we have no ability to call for help.

NO SKILL CHANGES BEFORE CHANGING THE OPFOR MECHANICS

Localized versions of the game: Players looking for BATTLETECH in French, German, and Russian still have a wait ahead of them. Our localization testing team recently discovered a bug that was preventing our translators from seeing a large quantity of content waiting to be translated. The issue has been fixed and localization is back on track. Unfortunately, release will be delayed for another couple of months.
lol
Localization was promised to be in few months after release...
I made preorder to promote HBS
Next time I will not buy your product before you do what you promised.

Sigh.

lol
Localization was promised to be in few months after release...
I made preorder to promote HBS
Next time I will not buy your product before you do what you promised.

And here we have an example of why developers don't give information when they aren't ready, and are even reluctant to give estimates even though they want to do so to please us.

localization eta.PNG

^ Here is a official sample of what they "promise"

localization q&A comments.PNG

^ And here in a long outdated Q&A transcript was them trying to give a "best guess" with a "probably" because we asked and they are conscientious.

Best guesses often encounter real world obstacles. They are most certainly not "promises".

Frustration is a normal human experience we all can empathise with, and when and when not to buy is ones own personal prerogative and no one will argue it.
But let's not allow disappointment to venture into misinformation or hyperbole.

View attachment 401189
^ Here is a official sample of what they "promise"
W9aGRyi.png

Yes, it can be called promise or commitments.

View attachment 401190
^ And here in a long outdated Q&A transcript was them trying to give a "best guess" with a "probably" because we asked and they are conscientious.
ilybDb0.png

Not "promises"? ))
It is quote from kickstarter Campaign.
BATTLETECH is in development for PC, Mac, and Linux in English and will be delivered in standard and DRM-free versions on Steam, GoG, and Humble stores. The game will also be made available in German, French, and Russian (with localized text, and audio subtitles) in a post-launch update. Other platforms and languages may be announced later. BATTLETECH is expected to launch in early 2017.

So, yes, it is promises.

W9aGRyi.png

Yes, it can be called promise or commitments.

ilybDb0.png

Not "promises"? ))
It is quote from kickstarter Campaign.

So, yes, it is promises.
Localization was promised. A precise timeline was not. Unforeseen circumstances have necessarily pushed back the release of the localized versions. That is the point Havamal was making.

Localization was promised. A precise timeline was not. Unforeseen circumstances have necessarily pushed back the release of the localized versions. That is the point Havamal was making.
Thank you Cam.

This exactly.

The Devs almost never promise a locked in timeline on things, it would be ill advised as development is complex and timelines are affected by things that are not entirely controllable, and this is NOT their first rodeo. And they usually give estimates with caveats because we beg for them. Lets not intentionally ignore such caveats to add melodrama to posts.

As in my post above, I showed Localization was promised and is coming. No timeline was promised, because they can never really know that, only guess at it.

People can be disappointed and frustrated, but we will need to absolutely avoid it devolving into exaggeration to the point of falsehood that leads to misinformation on this community.

[A reminder to all, direct replies to Yellow mod posts are against site rules...]

The good news is, Now that they're "In -Success" with PDX, they are able to expand operations and they are creating a whole new Localization department (is that the correct wording?) and a dedicated process to integrate it. The goal being that this will hopefully not occur in the future.