• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, I'm back in England, and the good news for you guys is I'll be almost back to writing as usual - in real life, my focus is on sorting out paperwork to apply for the visa to allow my now wife to come here, as sadly getting a visa for England is an exercise in infuriation. And if they refuse to let her in, start putting together a plan for moving to her country that is next-year feasible.

For Life2.0, we have five ongoing narrative arcs of Vorosh exploring Psionics, the Holocron and the Iriphubliki In Exile merging with Life2.0, Life2.0-Prikki-Arishkan relations, genetic engineering and the coming child of Naomi and Buri, and lastly but most importantly the looming spectre of MSI. In my spare time I've been developing ideas for the next stages in each arc, but the new DLC could have potential impacts on the first, which means that I've got to try out the DLC before I can decide how to integrate it's content.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Congrats on the marriage and best of luck with the visa process!

Also, mad props for juggling FIVE narrative arcs at once. The most I ever handled at once was four, and that was a real struggle. I strongly recommend verifying your game files after installing Astral Planes. The recent hotfix should have solved the issue of the game not recognizing the DLC in your library, but better safe than sorry I'd say.

I'm already planning to rework my own Stellaris Story to account for Astral Planes. Very curious to see if/how you chose to work with it in your own story.

Pregnancy
"Pregnancy"
8th Shendredie, 9 (2188)
Buri Of Unity

I close the video call with Duxanek. Another weekly update on Naomi submitted. In a word? I'm worried.

We're fifteen weeks in, and Naomi is... Struggling more than she'd like to admit.

She was exhausted after meeting the Holocron earlier.

She throws up in the morning.

Gets headaches.

Her legs cramp.

She gets indigestion. Craves weird foods.

Has mood swings.

She's trying to keep going as normal as much as she can, but I'm beginning to wonder if she's well enough to continue as she used to. Her mind is still so active, but her body is letting her down.

Am I worried too much?

Maybe.

But equally, we've got a genetically engineered child growing inside her. Maybe I'm supposed to be overprotective?

She started feeling the baby's kicks last week; firm enough I can feel them to if I rest a hand on her. That raised Duxanek's concerns as Humans aren't supposed to feel them for another week or so. Cibbav reckons it's the baby's enhanced muscles, and they'll keep monitoring it.

I'm glad we have the best doctors in the colony looking after her.

Congrats on the marriage and best of luck with the visa process!

Also, mad props for juggling FIVE narrative arcs at once. The most I ever handled at once was four, and that was a real struggle. I strongly recommend verifying your game files after installing Astral Planes. The recent hotfix should have solved the issue of the game not recognizing the DLC in your library, but better safe than sorry I'd say.

I'm already planning to rework my own Stellaris Story to account for Astral Planes. Very curious to see if/how you chose to work with it in your own story.

Thank you; we need it.

It's more a central arc of the coming conflict with MSI, with the others still a little at the way side for now. And noted.

I'm intending to; so far there's the possibility of Vorosh's experiments going weird as the main way to introduce elements from it.

Edit: of course, still got to wait for mods that fix the Leader Cap to update.

Last edited:
Buri is in for an interesting time with Naomi here. Hopefully, she's alright.

"Lightspeed"
"Lightspeed"
15th Shendredie, 9 (2188)
Daas

Our video call takes place in the surroundings of a pulse unit storage bay. Estrili Sakati flies lazily in the microgravity. "Daas, I've been thinking."

"What about?"

"I've been reviewing the Holocron's schematics for the 400m pusher plate, and I've been reviewing the plans for antimatter missiles that Valerius brought with him. I believe I have a solution. What if I told you we could build a pulse unit that could move the 400m ships that was the same size as our 65kg 12m pusher plate pulse units?"

"Is it that much of a performance increase?"

"We could have the performance from multi-tonne nuclear bombs in a few hundred grams of antimatter."

I shrug. "I don't mean to dismiss it, but there's a lot of challenges to solve."

"I agree. But, we know they are solvable - we know antimatter-matter reactors are a critical component of what makes the Caeulenus Drive possible."

"How would we make it?"

He squawks as he shows me some grainy recordings. "MSI use solar powerplants to power particle accelerators up to energies where pair production takes place, then siphon and stabilise the antiparticles produced. And it's a widespread technology out there." He shows more recordings, this time records of Arishkan particle accelerators used to generate the staggeringly vast quantities of fuel needed for the war machines of past eras.

At first I barely understand, because they are huge; full circles around host stars.

I accept it can be done, of course, but for us to develop it...

"Kidore is an A-type star Daas. We could generate enough antimatter from solar-powered accelerators to fuel fleets of antimatter-boosted ships."

"It wouldn't be cheap." He lays out more documents. Handwritten - it's Rivkah's writing. Interesting, it's a working out for a refuelling schedule. "This is Rivkah's operational plan for taking 400m ships on interstellar journeys. She's got plans for 400m pusher plate ships that can get to MSI territory; we'll need millions of tonnes of Uranium Daas."

I snort. "There's not millions of tonnes of Uranium available."

"Exactly. Which is why we have to think about the long-term replacement with fusion devices, minimum. But antimatter is a better bet."

I look again at the data in front of me. He's right; Rivkah's proposals could work in theory, but she needs dozens of refuelling ships for every warship, and these are one way journeys. But if antimatter pulse units are much smaller than the 40 tonne ones needed at present... I look at Estrili. "I will talk to Naomi."

How is antimatter being produced from stars? I'm curious. On the bright side, it looks to be very efficient.

Actually the process is incredibly energy expensive, especially to produce quantities of antimatter suitable for propulsion of fleets of spacecraft, and is guaranteed to be less than 50% efficient because of the production of gamma rays and other particles, even before you look at the production equipment's running costs.

To produce antiprotons means colliding two streams of protons with gigaelectron Volt energies. This requires extremely powerful electromagnetic accelerators, shielding and electromagnetic traps to safely capture and contain the produced antimatter - for even just the limited scale Estrili proposes we're discussing more electrical power being used than entire nations on Earth.

Which is one part of why it's done using vast arrays of solar panels orbiting closely to a star. (The other part is limiting the fallout if containment fails)

The biggest fusion-boosted fission bomb proposed in this AAR so far is 32PJ, and has a bomb mass of 790kg of 97% pure U-233.

The equivalent antimatter/matter reaction mass is 178 grams of antimatter and 178 grams of matter.

To get combat-capable warships from Unity to MSI territory needs literally millions of pulse units to be done in a Stellaris reasonable timeframe, and each pulse unit wants four of those 790kg bombs. It doesn't take long before the Uranium needs exceed the amounts available from strip-mining entire planets.

Reactions:
A Bridge Between Times
"A Bridge Between Times"
16th Shendredie, 9 (2188)
Vorosh

Well, this is... Different.

We've been experimenting. Breaching the Shroud to enable us to go there in person requires imcomprehensibly vast energy. So, we've been trying to go there via visions instead.

I'm not sure where, or perhaps when, I am. I do know that gravity is much lower than Unity's gravity here. Hmm.

I think I am in someone's personal quarters. A display room perhaps? Hmm. Cannisters line a shelf, with rock, liquid and gas samples. They're labelled, and what I recognise is in the Human language of English, which would be great news if I was corporeally here and could therefore translate it from my notes. But, I can't.

Hmm.

I look at each one, commit them to memory, and I will review them later.

It's definitely Human-inhabited; many things in here resemble the old drawings Naomi made back when the colony was first founded. I tap a touchscreen, and it opens to a password entry screen.

The background is a photo; two dark skinned Humans embracing. Oh my, I'm looking at Naomi and Thando, only he has both eyes in this photo.

Wait. Door is opening behind me.

It's her!

The vision cuts, and I return to the cave by the sea our commune lives in. How strange.

Is that astral projection? If a method to do that could be perfected, that could be useful for spying, assuming that the language barrier wasn't an issue.

Sharpbeak, Part 4
"Sharpbeak, Part 4"
19th Shendredie, 9 (2188)
Alexandra HaMaadimi

"Thando, get up from beneath the table, that's distracting."

He kisses me again. "But, you like it."

"Up."

He reluctantly stands. "What are you working on?"

"I'm working out how to defend Unity."

He moves close behind me. Slowly kisses the top of my neck. "And you don't want to consult Unity's only Commander with field victories in starship combat against MSI?"

I look at him over my shoulder, our eyes sharing contact as he gently kisses his way to my shoulder... It's distracting. Focus. "That's actually the reason I'm developing plans that will avoid relying on experiences against MSI's conventional forces."

He smiles, then comes beside me. "I get it. So what do we have?"

I lean back onto him. "Honestly, I'm not sure where to begin planning. How do we plan for fighting what we can't see?"

"Shoot where they will be." He points to the hyperlanes. "They either come through the hyperlanes, in which case we can nail them when they arrive, or they arrive elsewhere in the system if they jump in. We know jumping leaves them at the edge of the system at least, and it severely affects ship systems."

I roll my eyes. "Because having our enemy anywhere within a trillion cubic kilometres of home is such a great outcome."

He points at the sensor data. "We know jump drives arrive in a circular orbit directly from the origin star. We can find the nebula, and therefore we know where they will arrive. After that, we can ambush them."

"Estrili has put together a proposal for manufacturing antimatter from starlight. I'm thinking we could use them for very small mines."

"Yep. Having them arrive straight into antimatter mines is definitely going to make them have a bad day at the office."

I look at him. "Don't use that phrase."

He kisses me, and looks at the bedroom. "Come on, we can figure out a little more together."

I roll my eyes. "I really don't see how that will help us figure it out."

Doesn't stop him leading me into the bedroom.

Oh well.

I hope that the... distraction... of the military leadership of Unity doesn't screw over the defense effort against MSI.

Antimatter mines sound like a good idea. Let their ships explode! It's a shame that strategy can't be used on the hyperlines since Life 2.0 still needs a way out of their home system.

So, where things are:

Needless to say, I still dislike the Leader Cap. Which severely puts me off playing because none of the Leader Cap fixing mods I used before work after the changes, which I have to sort out because it cripples the enjoyment of Stellaris as a game. I've done a couple of Life2.0 R&D playthroughs - just this morning beat MSI in a war in one in fact - to test out the patch and see if I get any new ideas, and some of the Renowned Paragons have given me possible ideas, if we don't mind adding more protagonist-faction characters.

However, they're some other issues...

I'd like to see the new DLC content, as the premises sound interesting to explore. But, I have the trying to get my wife to my country problem, which has been made worse by the kleptocracy's decision to up the fees we have to pay. So, it might be next year before true Astral Planes content gets introduced.

Further, we have a slight problem with too many protagonist characters. Having been away for a month, I've kind of... Lost track. Could probably do with a few minor character pieces to get my head around characters that aren't Rivkah again...

And it's about time for another timeskip; it feels like it's been the 9th year for quite some time. Next year has a few interesting possibilities - Vorosh arranges breaching the Shroud, MSI may or may not pre-emptively strike, we can send someone out on an espionage mission to obtain the secrets of antimatter manufacturing, start developing the other worlds around the Kidore system, and more.

Last edited:
Rivkah's Diary, 22nd Shendredie, 9
Rivkah's Diary
22nd Shendredie, 9

If I was Human, I'd be at that awkward teenage phase where I'm realising that I don't know what I'm doing in life.

And...

It feels like my problems aren't really, like, big or anything. My life has been so much better than my Mum's for example. And with her out of action, I'm like the queen. And sitting here on the balcony looking out over the city of Hortensus' Folly, I feel...

Beneath a sky full of stars, and I feel alone.

Even as I flick through the Prikki sensor data - you know, just to assure myself there's no one coming for us, and once again I find there's no one coming - I can't shake that kind of gnawing fear inside.

I can't share it with anyone else. I'm Xenayan, we're not supposed to be afraid. But I am. I've seen how people die in war. I don't want that fate...

The trouble is, there's no real alternative. We run, and we only delay the inevitable - it is only in confrontation that we can stop MSI. Allies can give us a reprieve from the threat of them trying a sneak attack for fear of reprisal, but the price of Arishkan or Prikki aid is too high. They want their shackles, not no shackles. It gets nowhere if we just swap MSI for them.

The worst problem is we're not facing a civilisation like Gaius Licenius; he was an idiot. This Sharpbeak guy? Judging from the grudging respect that Ossuhphuhr talks about him with, isn't.

And that worries me.

What price would I pay for freedom?

Last edited:
Bounties
"Bounties"
22nd Shendredie, 9 (2188)
Rivkah Of Unity

One of the good things about Mum's family is that they are pretty much all on the fine line between genius and madness. Well, except for Uncle Thando, he's definitely on one side of that line.

Which is why I picked him; if I'm losing my mind, I should consult the guy who's already lost it. Get some pointers.

So, we're by the sea, skipping pebbles.

"Uncle Thando, have you figured out why I got you down here yet?"

He hums. "Heck no."He throws a rock. Then looks at me. "Much easier to wait for you to explain."

"Mum would have though."

"Yeah, she would. So, are you going to tell me what this is about?"

Time to vent. I let it all out. "I'm getting depressed about facing MSI and the bleakness of our situation and how it feels like we're all alone and how even the few allies we've found come with as many strings attached as a puppet and how it feels like I'm stuck and I don't know what to do and how I need to compartmentalise it all but I know I can't because Mum taught me not to bottle all of it up inside because things just build up and now I feel kind of crushed trying to figure out how to get us all through this when it all feels like we're all pawns on the board and-"

"Breathe, Rivkah. Breathe."

He's right. Breathe in. Breathe out. "I'm scared."

He nods. "Yeah."

"Are you?"

He taps a knife on the occular implant. "I told you guys. Death had a bite, then spat me out saying I wasn't what it ordered."

"Is that really true? I figured that was a metaphor."

"The point is Rivkah, death has to earn it's bounties. Did Sis ever give you the whole 'rebellions are built on hope' spiel?"

"Yeah."

He flicks a rock into the air. "Did you listen to it?"

"Keep taking chances until you win, or run out of chances. Didn't the woman who say that quote die?"

He nods. "Everyone dies in Rogue One. It's part of what makes the story hit hard."

"So, how am I supposed to be motivated by that?"

His one natural eye looks straight at me. "Because they made death earn it's bounties. Just like we have to. I've been fighting to kill since I was your age. Sis endured being raped a million times because she was waiting for her opportunity to fight to win."

I interrupt. "Does that imply you don't fight to win?"

"No, just that Sis is more patient in waiting for a better opportunity to fulfill her goals. I tried to survive on the margins until I was sixteen, living in fear of being captured like you, then I killed an Olinbar naval officer outside a night club. I decided later thatnight that if I was going down, then I'd be taking as many of them with me as I could. Found I was pretty good at killing."

"Wanna talk about that?"

"That naval officer was one of the first adults to rape your mother; not like the Olinbar kids she grew up with, that bastard looked closer to four times her age. I tracked him down, put a knife across his throat when he went outside for fresh air. He got my eye with his ring as he went down."

"What changed?"

"By the time I evaded capture that night, I killed three Olinbar and at least put another unconscious. Lost a knife, was forced into trying to strangle the last guy; he'd gone limp at least. I realised I could fight, and I had snapped. But I was clever. I knew I needed guns and ammo. I had a plan. Instead of looting trashbins as I had, I started using arson attacks; set a house on fire, then raid the burning building while everyone else was getting out."

"Going into a burning building? That sounds pretty dumb."

"Not when you understand a few things; MSI are cheapskates, you know that. Comes to housing design too, as they came up with very energy and resource efficient housing for their own people, not just Indentured Assets. Once you've been inside one house design, you've been in all of the houses like it. You set off a fire in a bedroom, then raid the auto-restocking cleaning cupboards."

"The cleaning cupboards? I thought you would go for the cutlery?"

"MSI have fingerprint-locked sheathes on their knives. No fingerprint, no knife. And while I'm not above cutting a hand off to steal a knife, I was there for other things."

I fold my arms. "The cleaning cupboard."

He smiles. "Ever tried mixing bleach and vinegar?"

I recoil a little nervously. "No."

"Why not?"

"Mum said you shouldn't mix cleaning chemicals."

"Ok, you get mustard gas. Surely Sis taught you that?"

"Oh."

He rolls his eyes. "Sis did psychology. I did chemistry; there's so much useful stuff under the kitchen sink. Or in a garage. Utility rooms too. Once I raided enough houses, I had gas grenades, bacterial agents, viral agents, explosives and a wide selection of medications with all kinds of useful adverse effects that I distilled into nerve agent poisons. And I needed guns. Do you know the easiest way to get a gun in a MSI controlled city?"

"No, but I would like to."

"Rig an automated personal transport to explode outside a Civic Harmony Officer station, then detonate several dozen mustard gas bombs when they run out to see what happened." He pauses, then taps a knife on his implant. "Nick a special item off the station director's body when you sweep them for loot. Know how you get ammo in a MSI controlled city?"

"Shoot the Civic Harmony Officers?"

"Exactly. But I wanted more than just raiding. I wanted to do some damage; I wanted to assasinate the CEO. Used pliers to rip a few teeth out of people who knew too much for their own good and I got a plan together - the easiest way was a long range kinetic weapon. So, I'll ask you this - do you know how to get a sniper rifle in a MSI controlled city?"

"Escalate until they bring in the military?"

"Bingo." He runs a hand up a sabre to my head. "My point Rivkah, is that the body will achieve what the mind believes. I killed a heck of a lot of Olinbar to get here. I earned the ten thousand Energy Credit price tag on my head. And if death ever wants to get that bounty, it's going to have to gorydamn earn it." He looks at me. "And you better make sure it earns yours, because you are your parent's daughter; you've got her mind and his body. And that is a freaking awesome combination."

Oh, no. Thando might give Rivkah ideas...

I'm still amused that Star Wars survived this long.

A pretty powerful kind of loneliness, the type that strikes when one is dealing with people on a daily basis. That will hit a young ruler like Rivkah hard.

Definitely.

Fortunately, she's learned the lesson from Naomi's near-breakdown, and sought help.

Thando probably isn't the best person to go to of course, but equally, he has his advantages.

Is that astral projection? If a method to do that could be perfected, that could be useful for spying, assuming that the language barrier wasn't an issue.
Yes. And yes it would, especially because being Materialist governing ethics, MSI wouldn't necessarily think of anti-Psionic counterspying measures.

I hope that the... distraction... of the military leadership of Unity doesn't screw over the defense effort against MSI.

Antimatter mines sound like a good idea. Let their ships explode! It's a shame that strategy can't be used on the hyperlines since Life 2.0 still needs a way out of their home system.

It won't; the colony has a lot of ideas. THe bigger issue for Rivkah and Alexandra is sifting through the myriads of ideas they've got and finding the most feasible; the resources and time to implement ideas are much bigger problems than generating ideas.

Naomi's policy assumes interstellar colonies will have too long a payoff time to be worth the resource investment in the immediate defending against MSI problem. In a stable "cold war" kind of scenario then Life2.0 would evaluate interstellar expansion as a much greater priority, but right now all efforts are focusing on the home system for quicker development and returns.

Oh, no. Thando might give Rivkah ideas...

I'm still amused that Star Wars survived this long.

Perhaps Thando is exactly the right person to give Rivkah ideas? :)

Flashpoint, Part 1
"Flashpoint, Part 1"
GCD 53892-4-28

"Welcome to C'ean news. We begin live outside the Prikkiki-Ti's General Oversight Committee, where tonight's session is responding to the shock of the assassination of Grand Arbiter Nooki-Schnepp Rikki. Nooki was one of the chief architects of the Prikkiki'Ti's Open Hand policy, with her five re-elections to the twenty year office of Grand Arbiter having given her definitive control over Prikki foreign policy, which she has largely spent as a force for peace following her predecessor's interruption of the Arishkan-Naylnoid Conflict. In these troubling times, the removal of one of the galaxy's main peacemakers in the Great Powers is considered a very bad thing. Nooki was victim of a personal transit vehicle bombing while inspecting a garrison world on the Prikki-Naylnoid border, with the assailants captured coming from a recent Uplift. Market instabilities have already taken a turn for the worse as the risk of conflict escalates, with calls on monopole rocket fuel futures nearing record highs for peacetime, and MSI non-preferred shares falling as CEO Gnaea Titius is summoned to the Galactic Community explain what went wrong with this Uplifted population. More news on this developing story is sure to come."

Flashpoint, Part 2
"Flashpoint, Part 2"
23rd Shendredie, 9 (2188)
Rivkah of Unity

I'm just finishing some paperwork as the door slams open. It's Grepp. I don't even have time to greet him before he speaks. "My sister is dead."

I try not to stare blankly. "Calm down Grepp, tell me everything."

He licks his eyeballs. "My sister was the Grand Arbiter of the Prikki. She was why I had a free hand to help Life2.0. She was how I got you guys access to the Sentry Array Network data, and with her gone, that's now in the hands of the Committee."

"I'm sorry Grepp. How did she die?"

"On the record? vehicle bombing carried out by dissidents from a recent MSI uplift. Off the record, Prikki Intelligence already knows the Uplifted pawns are linked to an Arishkan Black Ops force known for regime change missions. We suspect the Arishkan Emperor ordered my sister's death."

My mind is already picturing the board. There must be something the Arishkan gain from this. What though? "So the game is afoot. I'm calling Mum." I rush to the video link. Dad answers, the sound of falling water in the background. He looks at me. "Rivkah, how are you?"

"Get Mum. Please."

Dad looks at me. He looks at Grepp. Grepp nods as he licks an eyeball. Dad moves.

Mum... Is fresh out the shower. "Rivkah?"

Grepp looks at her. "Naomi, my sister, the former Grand Arbiter, is dead. Assassinated. We need to discuss the implications."

"How bad?"

"Tonight, two hundred quadrillion Prikki want answers as to why their leader is dead. Prikki Intelligence knows Arishkan pawns carried it out. What do you think will happen?"

"War."

"Guess where one of the first fronts is."

Blood drains from Mum's face. "The Arishkan Emperor wouldn't assassinate the leader of the Prikkiki-Ti just to win over us, would they?"

"Mum?"

She gulps. "Rivkah, think about it; the Arishkan know about Grepp. They know we have an emissary of the Prikki, and they know we use Prikki sensor data. If he is thinking to cut us off from the Prikki and make us dependent on him, then taking out the Prikki diplomatic leader and ensuring she's replaced by a warhawk makes sense."

I look at Grepp. "Are we actually that important?"

He licks an eyeball. "Individually? No. But the New Commercial Zone as a whole is. Emperor Aphisi went to war for these stars, and Izzixl sees himself as taking in soft power what his ancestor lost in hard power." He looks at Mum. "You aren't wrong."

Mum looks at me. "We need Ossuhphuhr. Now."