• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They have advanced quickly, haven't they? It's nice to see tangible evidence of that.

Using MSI's own ships as the foundation of a navy that'll be used against them? How poetic.

Friendship One
"Friendship One"
2nd Daas, 9 (2188)
Rivkah Of Unity

I step out the autonomous car. I must confess, it still freaks me out a little to not have a driver. Remember to put on sunglasses. New Bulawayo has had a big extension; the Holocron stands watching over it as I approach.

It's... Strange. I stand beside the Holocron. "What is this part for?"

"Developing ideas and working practices for the Neumanns I sent with Tryykad. Truth be told, they are relishing the challenge of designing for three dimensional movement for short-ranged flyers."

"They?"

"They're sophont."

"Like us?"

"Like me, or HK. It's the best solution to the exponential growth problem, make them smart enough to understand they cannot simply self-replicate to absurdity."

"Are they slaves?"

"Definitely not; they're free. The iriphubliki was founded on equal rights for all sophonts, whether Human, Provolve, Alien or Droid. Hideously complicated to administrate, but much like your mother managed to weave the peoples of Unity together, so we weaved the Iriphubliki. They just pretend to be sub-sophont; it makes dealing with organics easier."

"Because we treat you as dumb objects?"

"Precisely. Me, HK - Organics treat us as people. But the cars, or the Neumanns, well, they don't look like people, so they get treated as objects. broadly the same hardware running us all; Carbon nanofactured computational structure running an emulation of a biont brain."

"Does that worry them?"

He laughs. "Oh, they see it as a flaw in the organic mindset. One of the consequences of your pattern recognition short-cuts."

I look at him. "I thought the whole 'AI Uprising' stuff was... Just for TV."

"Oh, in the early days of limited artificial intelligence there were vast complaints. Even riots. Wars once AI-owned corporations began fighting each other. Stock market crashes when algorithms fought each other. But we avoided civilisation collapse. Eventually, Humans adapted and learned to cooperate with machines, both doing what the other doesn't easily do." He turns to the Neumanns. "Each of them considers themselves an artisan; I give them a rough idea to build towards and critical measurements they have to comply with, and they set themselves challenges of self-improvement to iteratively perfect their designs. But, imagination is somewhat of an issue; we are very good at logical developments. Illogical developments however, we need organics for. Biont brains are much better for imagination and creativity."

"In the end, you get partnership."

"Yes. Some steps along the way can be very difficult, but such is the nature of children."

"I've been thinking Holocron. I'm... I kind of feel stuck."

"With?"

"MSI. We're trying to figure out mass production of the Orion pulse propulsion system."

"Would you like to talk to one of these Neumanns?"

"What do they understand?"

"That's not easy to explain as we AI comprehend things differently to bionts."

"Would they know what I am talking about?"

"In the sense that they possess an internal encyclopedia that they use to inform their mindstate."

I don't really understand. "Let's try it."

The Holocron waves to a group of Neumanns.

One of them - a smaller one - adjusts it's form into a ball, and rolls towards me, unpacking into a metal-man. "Evening, Arch-Imperatrix Rivkah Of Unity."

"Evening. What are you called?"

"Iriphubliki Citizen TSR192DV."

"Can I call you TSR?"

"Clarification - are you asking whether it is possible to call me TSR, or whether you have my permission to call me TSR?"

I'm confused. "The latter."

"Affirmative."

If this was HK, he's make a sarcastic comment about not being able to treat letters and numbers as a name. "TSR, I'm not sure where to begin."

"Please clarify the nature of how I may assist - do you require a listener approach, or a problem-solver approach?"

"Problem solver." I pause. "Basically, I need a lot of warships."

"Are you able to supply designs? I would be able to assess construction times from them."

"Not to hand. We're still refining the design..."

"Ok. What is the area of difficulty you are having?"

"We've decided to use the nuclear bomb pulsed propulsion system. I need thousands of ships built in space out of material recycled from MSI's Flagship."

"Subject query loading." He pauses. "Restating problem: You require mass-production of ship-hull components."

"Yes." I get an idea. "Do you have data on Loveboat One?"

"Remote access query loading." It's a long pause. "Affirmative."

"How quickly could you Neumanns build another ship like it?"

"Clarify - would you like an estimate, or would you like us to try to build one now?"

Oooh. "Actually, let's go for the second." I look at the Holocron. "Can, no, may I borrow a few Neumanns?"

He looks at me. He looks at them. Dozens of Neumanns of all shapes and sizes gather around me. Then they all start talking. The Holocron interrupts. "Our organic colleague can only comprehend a limited number of voices at once. Please use different synthesised speech patterns, and only one at a time."

I can tell the conversation frustrates them, but eventually we have a plan worked out, and they set to work - I curl up to sleep while they mine materials, smelt ores, cast ingots, and between these several hundred Neumanns, by the next morning, I'm looking at the pusher-plate module that I decide to call Friendship One.

A fleet is finally being formed. Excellent!

Also, how are these sapient self-driving cars designed? And did they come with HK? If not, how did they get to Unity?

At the rate our technological capability is growing, the fundamental fully self-driving car by 2030, maybe 2035. Sapient computers in this setting are an invention of the 2040s. Built on Unity based on Iriphubliki designs.

They're the same cars as the one from before - Rivkah just understands better.

Reworking the earlier chapters is now partway down page ten, and, I've added two missing threadmarks.

Last edited:
Fireside Chatting
"Fireside Chatting"
5th Daas, 9 (2188)
Scarlet Six

We rest besides a camp fire down in New Bulawayo - we've been moving our stuff down to a new training ground. Gillian talked it over with the Holocron. There's eight of us now; there were more recruits, but Gillian's training methods are quite extreme and the others gave up.

I skim a rock across the artificial lake. "How's Scarlet One getting on?"

Gillian laughs. "She's made her beast very happy."

That's a little unfair. "Buri isn't really a beast."

"Personality no, not really but, well..." She mimes Naomi bent over.

Clarissa laughs. "Look at the size of the guy; he must be..."

Gillian nods. "I think Buri's put her off anything less."

I'm... Not really comfortable discussing Naomi like this. "Girls, we can do better than discussing how Scarlet One gets it."

Tina agrees. "At least she's found someone she loves."

Gillian glares at the fire. Quiet rage burns. "We all should have. But life spread our legs wide open and kicked a size twelve in our crotches."

I wince at the mental image as I sit down beside her. She looks at me. "What did they do to you? Before the prostitution."

She looks back at the fire. "When I was a girl, I made one of those purity pledge things. Did it right; virgin when I got married. So was Leonardo." She fights back tears. "We were heading to the honeymoon, his family owned a villa by Lake Como. He got through border control. I didn't. Never got to see him again, never got to say goodbye. Just dumped on a visiting MSI Indentured Asset Collector. My first time auctioned off, then thrown into the brothel at the docks."

"How do you think he's doing?"

"Leo will be living alone hoping that the stars align. I was his only girlfriend - we met at school, dating all the way from eleven years old until eighteen. We got married in the summer holiday before we were supposed to go to university together. He was my world."

"We took everything from you."

"Yeah. And I don't think the hatred in my heart will ever subside."

"I'm sorry Gillian."

She takes my hand. "I know you are, Six." She pauses. "Now we have to make the rest of your people sorry too."

I nod.

Last edited:
In other news, I've continued to refine my development model for developing my own designs for pusher-plate modules following on the "More Mathematics" post from the previous page, and, I have a satisfactory for narrative purposes solution to the question of varying pusher-plate sizes. And edited two more earlier posts. Good day.

Rivkah's Five Year Plan, Part 5
"Rivkah's Five Year Plan, Part 5"
8th Daas, 9 (2188)
Rivkah Of Unity

Daas enters my office.

Funny that, it's my office now, I used to think Mum's office. I guess I'm settling in.

Anyway, focus on Daas.

Tuli B'Rikn presents some pulse units in a wheelbarrow. They're smaller than the current one. Daas looks at me. "Rivkah, we've been doing some testing on pusher-plates, and we've refined some designs for pulse units that are lighter and easier to manufacture."

I pick the biggest one up. Feels like three Naomis. "This is the one we use already?"

"Yes. We've been testing using more powerful bombs. This one uses the smallest fission bomb we have in mass production, but, we've been using bigger bombs in the others." He points to the others in succession. "This one is roughly a quarter more powerful."

I pick it up, not quite three Naomis.

"This one is a little over half the propellant mass of our original pulse unit."

Two-ish Naomis. Almost one-hand liftable, that is an improvement.

"And this last one is the smallest we want to run the radiation hazard of using." This one feels like one Naomi. Too wide to try lifting in one hand though. Tuli looks nervous.

"How bad is the radiation?"

"To the ship? Within tolerances with a little extra shielding. To those around the ship, much more nasty."

"How much extra shielding mass?"

"Oh, less than the mass saving from smaller units. It's the effects on those off the ship that is the concern we have."

"What's the new safe operational altitude?"

"The old units were use in upper atmosphere safe, eye protection threshold of 50km. These aren't safe to the same standard until 70km."

"Hmm. So they're definitely emergency launch only then."

"Yes."

I think about it. "I think it's worth it. How long will our pulse unit production lines be in revamp?"

"Three weeks to revamp the production lines."

"Let's get started then."

She's used to it by now. :)

So, I've been working on a revised Vanguard Corvette with the 65.5kg pulse unit for a 12m pusher-plate. There's been some compromises; the spinal railgun has been massively reduced, as have the lasers; had to trim two of the three reactors the 26m version used for lack of radiator mounting space. But, tweaking continues.

I like Rivkah using Naomi as a unit of measurement. It's amusing.

Rivkah's Diary, 9th Daas, 9
"Rivkah's Diary"
9th Daas, 9

The upside of the Archive is it's so full of interesting things and useful information. The downside of the Archive is it's so full of interesting things and useful information.

And today, I found two letters from Yehoshua HaMaadimi; one for a son, the other a daughter. And I read the second. Obviously.

"To my distant daughter.

As I write this, I'm preparing to wed my Ndebele Queen. One of the most interesting sentences on the nature of Humanity is "It is not good for man to be alone." Taken in two however, the original sentence that is translated from reads "Existence is not good." and "Man is alone." Yet, together they become something grander and more beautiful than the sentence apart is bleak and void.

I suppose it will mean little to you to cross planets. If I had my way, it would mean little in my time. But it does not. Instead, my bride is seven thousand, two hundred and eighty miles away by walking and boat. Realistically that is three years travel. Three weeks by internal combustion engined car. Two days by passenger aircraft. One by supersonic aircraft.

Eight hours by commercial vacuum mag-lev train if a direct connection was built.

Two hours by orbital ring if a direct connection was built.

The world cares little for the lives and loves of people in it's chronicles; those who rage make eras. Some relationships persist through the ages, but the vast majority of deeds that are recorded in history are paved in blood. What set the Nazarene apart was He used His own, with most people of note using the blood of others. I am thirty years old. Fit enough to carry my own weight, which itself is a little higher than I'd like. Troubled by the infinite options available to sophont life. Laughing ironically at the clash of those two, given weight is a function of gravity on mass and I'd lose so much weight in space... Genius level intelligence, underutilised in all I do. Goryhell, the closest my current job gets to being intellectually stimulating is modelling the mindstates of chickens, and it's no fault of their own but those little birds aren't exactly all that complex... Poor things are dumped on less than a square foot per chicken and that's then called a flock.

Rage and love define us. I believe in the world that could be. I can only imagine the worlds as they are of your time. Maybe you are ten years from now, maybe a hundred, maybe a thousand. Maybe you are reading this on Earth, or Luna or Mars. The Jovian moons, or perhaps Centauri or beyond. In some ways I would like to think you are. Maybe you are not even Human; and why not? Only fools care about bloodlines.

Rage burns. It sees what is and blazes hot, to set right what is not. Love sees what could be. Without rage, we are impotent, and without love, seeing yet blind. I know not who you will love, or that which will set your rage on fire. Maybe a husband, maybe a civilisation. And I would be disappointed, but not disapproving, if the politics of my homeland are a source of rage; I have few enemies, but certain government departments in charge of immigration have made themselves mine, and the nicest I can possibly be about them is to say may they walk on neverending Lego.

Perhaps things will be very different in your time, and your fight is not against racist bureaucrats but for survival. If so, let your rage burn bright; but don't forget that victory means nothing without someone you love to share it with, and that she who leaves the worlds as ash is not a queen, even if no one remains to refuse her.

By the lover of your fore-mother, she who is forever Ndlovukazi wami."

He is nuts. But I like him.

Awww.... that letter is great. Are there Christians on Unity? What's the religious situation like?

Love and rage are not as distinct as Yehoshua implies. Love can cause rage.

So is the Archive like Wikipedia? You can't stop reading because, oh, this random bit of trivia looks interesting...

As described at the beginning of the narrative, Life2.0 has Spiritualist as one of it's ethics. Like any effectively-run dictatorship the state takes on aspects of the dictator, and the religious character of Life2.0 is no exception.

As far as religion in general goes there's freedom of religion - something that was repressed under the Materialist MSI. But also Naomi believes in interfaith dialogue, trusting that God would lead them to Himself as the colony share their beliefs and learn from each other. The overall mission of Life2.0 once the MSI issue is resolved draws on Naomi's interpretation of the role of the church age in bringing about the Messianic Kingdom by viewing the prophetic writings on the New Heavens and Earth as a template to eventually be followed.

It's slightly different; the opposite of love, and rage for that matter, is apathy. Love and rage are two sides of the same coin as it were.

Well, Wikipedia is duplicated in it's entirety in the Archive. So yeah. There's more than just Wikipedia of course, it is a repository of all information available to the Iriphubliki.

Naomi is a Christian in the sense she recognises Yeshua HaNazarati as her personal saviour, and the Redeemer of all, God incarnate who was born of a virgin who died for the sins of all sophonts; Human, droid, alien, Provolve, NeoGen, tweak etc. alike. Like C.S. Lewis, she concludes there's no other option He could be.

Yet, she's also Semi-Universalist in that she believes that God meets people where they are; He does not wait for them to get everything in order before He moves, and so, that someone who calls as faithfully as they can on the wrong deity, or deities, would still be heard by God and still be saved. She wouldn't go as far as to be a Pluralist though.

She's Amillennialist in that she holds that the objective of the church age is to reshape from within the individual outwards to the worlds and in so doing make the vision of the millennial reign exist in the physical world; she believes in a renewed Eden that is spread across the universe, at which point the Messianic Kingdom is apparent. Life2.0 from Naomi's theological perspective is a means towards that state, and she believes technologies like genetic engineering and terraforming can and should be used towards these goals.

She's also more progressive in how she interprets Scripture in that she first looks at the wider trends before an interpretation is drawn. For example, when she considers the Torah, she examines everything in the light of a nomadic tribe wandering a wilderness on primitive technology in the initial forming of a nation period to contextualise the commands within, and then extrapolate from that. She also looks at the New Testament in the light of a newly-established religion attempting to convince the establishment that it isn't a threat, which informs her positions on justice and revolution.

It is something she worries about; ever since Buri proposed to her, and she had to work through whether her and Buri would be committing bestiality, she's been worried that her theology derives from trying to justify herself. And as the risk of going to hell presents the only existential threat to their marriage, she avoids thinking about the interpretation that says her sexual relationship with Buri is a sin.

Reactions:
Faith, Hope And Love
"Faith, Hope And Love"
12th Daas, 9 (2188)
Buri Of Unity

I climb back up Her to lie with Her face to face. She's slightly out of breath still, and wears Her contentment. I nuzzle Her. "I love you, Naomi."

She wraps Her arms around me. "I love you Buri."

We hug for a while as She rests. "I have some questions I want to ask. The Holocron sent me a copy of the Bible. I've been listening to it."

"Ooh, what do you think?"

I hesitate to answer. Long enough She begins to look worried. "I've got as far as Vayikra, Parashah Acharei. And then I thought we had to talk about how it ends."

Her worry turns to nervousness when She remembers which bit that is. "Ah. Yeah... That bit of Leviticus..."

I nod, and recite. "Nor is any woman to present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion."

It takes a while for Her to reply. "I confess I avoid thinking about this bit."

I nod. "You've done lots of presenting yourself to an animal."

She laughs nervously. "Yes..."

I tease Her gently. "You're very sinful."

She smiles as She looks into my eyes. "If loving you is sin, then I can only plead guilty as charged."

We laugh for a little while. But She's still nervous. I nuzzle Her. "Being serious, I don't want to be responsible for you being cut off from the people. I'm not sure what that means, but it can't be good."

Apart from nodding, She's quiet. I let Her think it through. Her reply is a trailing mumble. "Honestly Buri, your tongue is that good..."

I draw the inference. "Really?"

Her voice goes quite shrill as She blushes. "Yes!"

Curious. I decide not to press it, and instead opt to get Her thinking again. "So, let's address the issue. Am I an animal?"

"Technically no, as the word used is, being pedantic, the word for cattle, and you're definitely not cattle."

She smiles. It makes me wonder. "How would they have seen me then?"

She looks at me. Her eyes start at the top, running over the pair of horns on my head, my sabre teeth, my thinner summer fur covering arms and thighs as thick as Her waist, down to the claws on my feet. She turns a little sad. "Some kind of monster to avoid."

I see it in Her eyes. "A wild beast then."

She nods. "Buri, when you proposed to me, one of my first questions was 'Presume I'm wrong. Is Buri worth going to hell for?' and I decided then that I'd accept that consequence on judgement day."

"So you've already thought through this then. I thought so."

"Yes. I've got several reasons why this passage isn't applicable to our marriage. The thing is, the Bible says nothing about non-Human entities of Human likeness; relations with animals are forbidden, as are relations with angels. But you're a sophont being of Human equivalence, not an animal." She runs a hand through my fur. She smiles. "You might look like a wild beast on the outside, but on the inside? You're my sweet, sensitive, loving, caring Buri whom I adore and who has completely won my heart."

"So sexual relations with me are ok?"

"We're married, so yes. I know I've been had by tens of thousands of Olinbar men and women. But I was forced into prostitution, so they don't count - if I didn't let them abuse my body, I would have been recycled. I had no choice. Once I was free, I was free to choose my own path. I was faithful in my waiting. I was chaste until I married, and as your wife I am faithful to you only. And I believe that God rewarded me with the husband of my dreams."

"You believe that God put us together."

"Definitely. Like, after ten years of married life with you, I can't even look at other guys because I am only into you."

"Really?"

She smiles. "Buri, when I was a little girl, I wanted a husband who could pick me up. I wanted a guy who was taller and stronger than me, I even thought that I wanted him to have lots of manly chest hair above a muscular toned body..."

Her eyes check me over from my toe claws back up to my horns as Her smile grows wider. "You've got it all with me."

"And even more." She laughs. "You could snap the fantasy boyfriend of my youth like a twig, you could throw me like a javelin, physically you are..." Her voice trails as She licks Her lips. "You're the perfect husband for me."

"And there's a part of you that thinks that I'm God's gift to you?"

"One hundred percent of me. I love you Buri." She nuzzles me. "I love you."

"I love you Naomi."

Last edited:
They are. Although perhaps Buri isn't... Anything like what could be considered cute by anyone except his mother and Naomi.

The rewriting project is now caught up to being about to start the "Back Into The Darkness" narrative arc. I'm intending to add a bit more to these ones too, as it is a significant moment for the colony.

This raises interesting theological questions about aliens. If OTL humanity ever has a first contact, there will probably be a huge religious upheaval.

I'm vaguely surprised "in thy own image" wasn't brought up. Buri might not like the idea that only humans get that privilege...

Iin 2015-2017 NASA got 24 religious scholars from all the world's religions together and asked them about the theological perspectives should first contact take place; essentially they agreed that the world's religions could take such a discovery in their stride, and irreligious perspectives tended to overstate the difficulties religions would have.

They did acknowledge American Protestant Christianity might struggle - and it probably would, they're the Christian subsection I'd least want involved in first contact because they'd be extremely likely to insult the aliens by calling them fakes or demons.

From Buri's perspective, that's a question that can wait for further explanation. After all, he's only halfway through the third book.

But, something that could potentially lead to his wife being punished with an unknown but probably really serious outcome is something that he wants to check over with her immediately.

Reactions:
The Propulsion Of Multi-Million Ton Vessels
"The Propulsion Of Multi-Million Ton Vessels"
Hoggagha

Abstract:

Our twelve metre pusher-plate module is now a proven success. Utilising recycled Uranium-233 transmuted from Thorium-232 in domestic and industrial nuclear breeder reactors, they consist of extremely high amounts of conventional explosives that compress the small amount of fissile material within each pulse sufficiently to obtain effective amounts of neutron activation.

That said, the realistic maximum payload of these pulses is limited to a few kilotons of mass, and getting such ships interstellar seems beyond feasibility. Sooner or later, we need bigger pulse units.

My team has been undertaking feasibility studies of the biggest reasonably achievable pusher-plates, and have theorised on the usage of simultaneously detonating multiple devices. We have begun a study of a four hundred metre diameter pusher plate and appropriate pulse unit design that relies on four 7.62 Mt fusion-boosted devices to accelerate ~6.7 tons of Tungsten to a velocity in excess of 6200km/s to achieve motive thrust for 1.5 to 4.5 million ton vessels.

These bombs comprise around 800 kilograms of Uranium-233 and Deuterium-Tritium fusion boost each. Given the main missions applicable to the anticipated efficiency, payload capability, mass fractions etc. being high-g brachistochrone transfers, fast interstellar missions, and slower multi-starsystem transits. Significant challenges remain, but we are confident they can be resolved.