• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, I'm excited! Fingers crossed that your machinations turn out well.

Hopefully.

It's a 55 million character, 3 million line document.
I'm not that sure where to begin with it, but I have figured out how to find the information I want. At least, so far. So, the next post from me will be the long-awaited documenting the other races; so far, I've only mentioned seven (I think) and well, only detailed three; the Humans, Xenaya, and Lokra-Kitan.

This is because there's three major viewpoints on their situation, as they can either work together and stay together to build something new, work together and then go their separate ways when they can, or give up. (there are nuances of course)

Naturally, at this point we are most focused on the "build something new" faction, with a little bit of the "give up" faction. (for the avoidance of misunderstanding, all named characters either are, or will be, in the build something new group, although Buri has several doubts about the democratic process, and Tryykad thinks Naomi and Odoos are warmongers who will get them killed)

I'm toying with introducing a fourth "actively surrender" faction and a fifth "revolutionary" faction that provides a bit more intrigue. We'll see.

That looks like an issue. Will Tryykad be convinced by Naomi's words? Or will he lead a new faction that follows the ideas of his father?

What will the revolutionary faction be? Marxists?

Name:

ID:

Portrait:

Traits:

Characters:

Namelist:

Human

human

Humanoid, Continental, Omnivore, Intelligent, Creative, Communal, Slow Breeders

Naomi, Monica, Thando

Human

Baat Vootan

mol16

Molluscoid, Arid, Carnivore, Natural Engineers, Lateral Thinkers, Redundant Organs, Undependable

Daas, Deena

MOL7

Maggar

art19

Arthropoid, Arctic, Carnivore, Ingenius, Intrepid, Rapid Breeders, Anarchic

Pik

ART6

Lokra-Kitan

avi11

Avian, Tundra, Omnivore, Athletic, Lateral Thinkers

Odoos

AVI6

Mopish

fun6

Fungoid, Arid, Carnivore, Subterranian, Economical, Living Ships, Free Spirits

Hoggagha

FUN6

Kourituk

Humanoid hp12

Humanoid, Tundra, Omnivore, Attractive, Botanists, Patient, Lethargic

Lorbukh

media_lotr_orc (revised)

Shomba

avi4

Avian, Arid, Carnivore, Creative, Miasma Emission, Sedentary

Estrili Sakati

AVI4

Lukhuinites

mol18

Ocean, Herbivore, United, Magicians, Deviants, Undependable

Vorosh

MOL4

Bevkiran

lith1

Tundra, Nomadic, Intelligent, Mob Mentality, Free Spirits

Ykrett

LITHOID1

Yahmieloid

pla12

Tropical, Herbivore, Nomadic, Planetary Designers, Courageous, Lazy

PLANT

Rezead

Pla9

Desert, Carnivore, Attractive, Talented, Thrifty, Brutal

Rhizome Of Ebony

PLANT

Sirzusian

avi14

Tropical, Omnivore, Nocturnal, Proles, Zealous Defenders, divided

AVI1

Chengpingese

fun3

Arid, Herbivore, Natural Engineers, Rapid Breeders, Easily Distracted

Rivvyl uvi-Gallvav

FUN3

Kyaese

avi8

Arid/Ring World, Carnivore, Communual, Tiny, Depressed

Qutrok, Tryykad

AVI2

Naungmonese

art7

Alpine, Herbivore, Conservational, Multi-Tasking, Extremely Adaptive, Anarchic

Sor-Gor

ART5

Thostrunaean

nec11

Desert, Omnivore, Gigantic, Fast Analysers, Impatient

Shendredie

NECROID5

Nhev-Mazarid

nec14

Arid, Carnivore, Exoskeleton, Enduring, Greedy, Slow Learners

Necroid4

Xenaya

mam12

Desert, Carnivore, Very Strong, Resilient, Conservational, Quarrelsome, Hunter-Gatherers

Buri, Vaki

MAM1

Ipcardius

pla6

Desert, Herbivore, Courageous, Confident, Industrious, Simple-Minded

PLANT

Zikk'Hik

aqu3

Tundra, Omnivore, Nocturnal, Empathic, Talented, Corrupt

Bigbuur Gushh

AQUATIC1 (revised)

As can be seen, there have been a few errors in characterisation from where I was looking at the wrong line; the Shomba in the narrative have the Chengpingese traits, for example.

These will also be tweaked further.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
That looks like an issue. Will Tryykad be convinced by Naomi's words? Or will he lead a new faction that follows the ideas of his father?

What will the revolutionary faction be? Marxists?
There are many paths available to him.

They wouldn't be Marxist as the society they've got is already a social welfare system (albeit esssentially state-capitalist) in which the state effectively employs anyone who wants a job, and pays in food and consumer goods on the basis of ensuring everyone has a living standard higher than what they had under MSI, and then splitting the rest by the amount of hours worked that week (for food) or month. (for consumer goods)

Currency is still very much a matter of suspicion thanks to MSI Corporate Scrip and how everyone is familiar with the abuses that came with it. Naomi is thinking about how to introduce currency, however she is thinking more in terms of using some sort of foodstuff instead of coinage or paper notes; she realises that metal coinage and paper money put the power to make money in the hands of the owners of the mines, the mints and the approved printing presses respectively, and hence will inevitably centralise financial power as well as lead to a greed-based economic mindset that sees other beings as either competition, or a resource to be exploited.

So, at the moment she's trying to figure out some kind of universally edible foodstuff that is perishable and small enough to use as currency, the idea being that the use of food that cannot be stockpiled (and therefore, must be invested in people to generate wealth) will create a generosity-based economic mindset.

Naturally, this isn't easy. But being able to start completely from scratch and build her own economic system literally from the ground up does help her a lot, as well as everyone having the common experience of the end result of fiat money issued in the form of debt by a single private issuer.

The Revolutionaries would therefore be more towards wannabe dictators, some sort of racial tension, or continuing the Rejoin MSI theme.

I love this table you've built for your character data. I am probably going to steal this template and use it myself in the near future. It is far superior to the really basic outlines I've been writing for my own characters over the past 5 years.

Of the major races to the narrative:
Name:Alignment:Comments:
HumanMake Something New, Defiant
XenayaMSN, Defiant
Lokra-KitanGo Separate Ways, Defiant
ShomaMSN, WaryRevising traits on to do list
KyaeseMSN, Scared
LukhuinitesMSN, Scared
Baat VootanMSN, Wary
NaungmoneseGSW, Wary
SirzusianUndecided, Scared
BevkiranGSW, DefiantRevising traits on to do list
KouritukGSW, WaryChange Name List and traits to make them orky
MopishMSN, Scared
MaggarGSW, Defiant
RezeadMSN, Defiant
Zikk'HikGSW, Scared
ChengpingeseMSN, Wary
Nhev-MazaridGiVe Up, Supportive
ThostrunaeanGVU, Supportive
IpcardiusGVU, Scared
YahmieloidGVU, Scared

Honestly, a fair few of them offer me no inspiration for what to do with them narratively; the Plantoids for example, the Rezead I've got ideas for, but the other two I'm left flat for. The two Necroids I'm also not so keen on.

Defiant, Wary, Scared and Supportive are attitude to MSI.

Qutrok, Part 3
"Qutrok, Part 3"
5th Shendredie, 5 (2182)
Tryykad

I look at the images on the display. Blueprints. Astronavigation data. Artist renders and plain text articles. Training procedures and combat protocols. To be fair to her, she has been busy.

"You wanted data. Here's data."

"What am I looking at?"

"The beginnings of a documentation of my art of war."

"Qutrok explained up to the taking the Flagship part. But that only provokes the beast that is MSI."

"Following the Flagship is a quadruple layer offensive strategy that relies on lighting rebellious sentiment across MSI territory, false flag attacks with liberated equipment, rapid assault of key MSI assets and diplomatic warfare."

Your thousand revolutionaries conducting the first two, leading the Flagship on the third, and presumably trying to find friendly to us aliens in the fourth."

"Precisely."

How do you propose to use one ship to attack MSI?"

"On my world, there was a conqueror named Ghengis Khan. He conquered incredibly vast regions by following a systematic approach of obliterating the first few cities he came too, and then using the fearsome reputation to convince others to surrender without a fight."

"You'd kill billions?"

"Yes."

"You are many things Naomi, but you are not a mass-murderer."

"What makes you so sure?"

"You're too merciful."

"You don't know what I'm capable of."

"You're a whore with delusions of adequacy."

Naomi folds her arms. "Ex-whore."

"Yes, yes, yes, you killed the last person to hire you, whatever."

"How many Minamar have you killed?"

"None."

"Tryykad, what would you accept? Or did you only come to attack me over what I had to do as a slave?"

That makes me stop, and think. "I want my father back."

"I can't return him to you. And insulting me won't help."

I hate her. And I hate that she's right. "You're right."

"What I can offer is a way to take down the people who made things the way they are."

"My father told me about the space plans. But they didn't mention us. What would you have us Kyaese do?"

"In my view? Anyone who wants to fight is welcome. Or if not, the logistics to carry out my schemes are immense. What do you want to do?"

"I want revenge."

"How do you want to take it?"

"The trouble is, us Kyaese aren't dangerous like you are, or the Xenaya. We're small. Weak. And honestly, scared."

"And extremely mobile." She puts the pistol in my claws. "On my world, there's a saying. God made man; Samuel Colt made man equal. That's a combustion reaction firearm; lightweight, cheap to produce, can be made to fire in single shot, semi-automatic or automatic modes. And that you guys can fly means that you might be small, but you can deliver a damn big punch."

"How big a punch?"

"I can put a rocket launcher into a harness that your people could wear; point yourselves at the enemy, dive bomb, and give them an express ticket to hell."

"Sounds dangerous."

"Perhaps. But devastatingly effective."

"Some of my people are going to want safer roles."

"These weapons can be made into long distance snipers; you could fight from so far away they can't even see who is shooting. And if you want armour, then we can put you in armoured fighting vehicles; being so small is a huge advantage for those."

"Are you sure you'd fight beside me?"

She points at the gun. "Who put that in your hand?"

"You did."

"If I was your enemy, would I give you a gun and sit at point blank range?"

"No."

"You've seen the data; if I thought you were an enemy, would I show it to you?"

"That would be ridiculously stupid."

"So, you in?"

I think about it. "I don't want to die."

She smiles. "Permission to monologue?"

I laugh. "Is it some speech about rage, breaking the shackles and spewing fire and death on the enemy?"

"Of course."

"Just this once."

"MSI made us give, made us bow. But not anymore. Now? Now, we take."

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
That's a little short to be called a monologue, but it's still great.

It looks like the potential leader for Rejoin MSI is on board. That's good. Unity is needed - at the very least, a common enemy should exist. MSI is the perfect candidate.

2183 Political Factions After Murder of Qutrok

Name:Description:Main Leaders: (non-Council)
Mutual Defence League Coalition of Leaders, with variable electoral mandates, who accept the premise that conflict with MSI is inevitable, and a consensus-based approach to other subjects of discussionOdoos, Naomi, Monica, Tryykad, Deena, Lorbukh, Estrili, Nodess, Rivvyl, Bigbuur
Peace And Safety InitiativeWhile outright surrender is acknowledged to be unobtainable, PASI advocates the safer approach of accepting vassalisation under MSIShendredie
Rapid Development AllianceWants the adoption of a dedicated technological development board that directs all state resources into research to catch up and overtake as quickly as possibleSor-Gor, Pik, Hoggagha
Takers Of VengeanceObjective - defeat MSI at any costYkrett, Rhizome Of Ebony [Odoos, Monica, Lorbukh, Naomi and Buri informally aligned]
Make Naomi QueenBuri's anti-democratic faction that seeks to entrust Naomi with powers that are effectively l'etat c'est moi.(Buri)

Ahead of the 2183 election cycle is the fallout of the murder of Qutrok.

Rejoin MSI is abolished, and the Peace And Safety Initiative was originally intended to replace it, however without Qutrok's conciliatory nature the former Leaders who composed Rejoin MSI have split up, and most have joined the defacto leading political alliance of the Mutual Defence League. Shendredie's main task on the Council is calling for electoral reform that moves away from the single elected representative per race model (under which his party is never going to get power) to a proportional representation electoral model (which his party could potentially become a power broker in closely matched contests) Theoretically, majority votes of four races consider this their home party, although the overwhelming majority of them have abandoned the colony.

The Mutual Defence League is essentially broken, as the consensus based approach simply cannot reach agreement on the original key areas thanks to the influx of former Rejoin MSI members, but on most other issues offers the most representative party for the common sophont.

The Rapid Development Alliance effectively doesn't exist outside the three Council members who advocate for it's principles; all three of them have to make concessions to their electorates.

The Takers Of Vengeance consider the role of the colony to be a revolutionary base against MSI, and are extreme hardline militarists. The prospect of the collapse of the Mutual Defence League could easily lead to Odoos, Naomi and Monica joining them as well, with sympathisers in Deena, Tryykad and Nodess.

Make Naomi Queen is a populist Xenayan-led movement with minor - but enthusiastic - support among the other races owing to Naomi's proven record of leadership making her obviously the most qualified to lead. The other parties consider it somewhat of a joke, however, the elephant in the room of politics on Unity is that Buri would have her be Domina and that it's only her explicit refusal that stops him from making it happen.

Dominant Electoral Issues:

1. The MSI Question - this is absolutely the biggest issue in politics on Unity

2. Electoral Reform - a collision between Separatist thinking and Unionist thinking comes on the subject of whether races should elect their own leaders, or if leadership as a whole should be whole community elected

3. Researching new technologies vs better deployment of existing technologies - a critical factor given the rapid pace of development as Naomi and the RDA attempt to jump as high up the technological tree as possible

4. Education - with a baby boom well and truly underway, Separatist and Unionist thought is divided on mixed race education

A major issue for the general population - but not the Council, which is Unionist by definition - is of Separatist vs Unionist. Hardline Separatists, who propose separate civilisations of each race are very few because of the logistics and the social dangers involved - the only Hardline Separatist movement to have actually acted on that is a breakaway of former Rejoin MSI supporters. Moderate Separatists believe in keeping the different races distinct, yet working together and seek to preserve their own cultures, while Unionists favour fully integrating together and building a new civilisation and a new culture. The Council hope to keep the two viewpoints non-hostile until such a time that the Separatists can depart for their homeworlds, leaving behind the Unionists.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like some contentious politics are in store. What parties will gain power when the current consensus breaks?

Depends on the manner of the breaking.

I have also realised as I was preparing to type the first 2182 post that according to the month comparison chart back on page 3, we've been in 2182 since page 4. Oops. So, I'll now edit the post above to be about 2183 instead...

Last edited:
Schooling
"Schooling"
1st Naomi, 6 (2183)
Rivkah Of Unity (Diary Entry)

Mum started training me today - she's slowly getting used to just how much more capable I am than a Human my age. She thinks I'm like a seven year old, but it doesn't make much sense. They must be very slow growing up. Or maybe it's the brain training regime she has me do every day.

I never really appreciated just how much goes on in Mum's head until she started teaching me this fencing. My Dad is fairly simple; you point him at the prey, it goes down. My Mum though...

We had wooden sticks. Mum says you can learn everything you need to know about armed melee with wooden sticks.

I did start off wondering what the point of them was, until my Mum sliced through some steel armour plate with her wedding sabre. No way could Dad do that.

It's funny. I listen to my Mum's speeches, and you could be forgiven for thinking her battle style would be really mad and offensive. But she's not. She says that her Mum taught her to rely on her mind. To be calm.

She tried to blindfold me, make me learn to use what she called the mind's eye. She said her Mum could ignore flashbang grenades because of her ability to rely on it, holding a complete sensation of what and who is around you. She says I should manage even better because my senses are so much more powerful than hers.

At first it was really hard; my Mum didn't hold back. "In a real fight, they won't either". She made sure I learned how to hold my stick, she practiced disarming me until I could stop her. She taught me to listen for her breathing. I guess it's supposed to be harder for her.

I think I understand what she's trying to do - she wants to blend the best of Humans and the best of Xenaya into me.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Humans are among the longest development cycles going; horses for example, are pretty much capable of doing horse things after a few days outside the womb.

Xenaya in particular have a very long and intensive pregnancy and weaning cycle which allows for a far more developed child being born in an effort to have few children, but giving each one the best start in life. To which Naomi adds trying to figure out how to maximise her daughter's brain growth.

Between all this (and other things like the Synthesiser) there's just enough fudge factor to allow me to write the idea that came to me.

This explores how different development rates massively affect the growth of children, and hence the rise of education as a major issue.

The newly announced Galactic Paragons update looks like it was designed with this AAR in mind.

A narrative and roleplay-focused overhaul of the Leader system, plus a CK3-style council to help the player run their empire. Do you have anything to confess? Any secret alliances with PDX themselves? ;)

Give me a moment to read it.
Seen it now.

It definitely qualifies as intriguing, but I am a little worried that it essentially looks like only having a new UI element that adds a bit more fluff.

The scope of the Council of Galactic Paragons is much less than the scope of the Council of Unity; the CGP is effectively a list of advisors who are appointed to a select few ministerial positions, and by the looks of it, are effectively a "Minister Of Insert Ethic Here" that are there to assist the Ruler.

The CoU by contrast, is the discussion forum of elected representatives of each of the fifteen races that accept the CoU's governmental authority (three are secessionists as discussed above and do not send any representative, while a fourth sends a single representative that essentially acts as a mouthpiece for those four; the Sirzusian don't send a representative because of the Proles trait) and are in principle equal sovereigns for their respective peoples, with the CoU being more analogous to a federal organisation of states.

It is far more limited than the scope of leaders I would develop however. Taking a straight copy and paste from my workings out for the Stellaris-scope game I'd like to make, the equivalent to the CGP is this:

Governance positions are divided into four categories – Domestic, Military, Diplomatic and Statistic

Domestic (roles govern internal development of the Race)​
  • Minister of State (ruler)​
  • Minister of the Treasury (domestic finance)​
  • Minister of Provinces (oversees Provincial Governors)​
  • Minister of Culture (arts, sports, media, etc.)​
  • Minister of Science (directs your research policies)​
  • Minister of Production (directs balance of what is manufactured)​
  • Minister of Food (directs balance of what is farmed for food)​
  • Minister of Justice (affects domestic morale, crime etc.)​
  • Minister of Education (controls state-operated education)​
  • Minister of Labour (civilian employment)​
  • Minister of the Civil Service (government employment)​
  • Minister of Health (governs hospitals, doctors, some research)​
  • Minister of Energy (governs balance of power, contributes to Energy Credit income)​

Military (roles govern the military of the Race)​
  • Minister of the Armed Forces (overall responsibility for the military)​
  • Minister of Provisions (supply and distribution of resources)​
  • Minister of the Army (affects the “character” of the army)​
  • Minister of the Navy (affects the “character” of the navy)​
  • Minister of Recruitment (affects recruitment of new soldiers)​

Diplomatic (roles govern the foreign policy options)​
  • Minister of Foreign Relations (general foreign policy)​
  • Minister of Trade (import/export, Race relations)​
  • Minister of Colonies (oversees developing colonies)​
  • Minister of Emissaries (governs citizens assigned as ambassadors)​
  • Minister of Intelligence (spying and counter-spying)​
  • Minister of Extraditions (affects external judicial events)​
  • Minister of 'RaceName' Relations (specific to this Race policy, added as needed)​

Statistic (roles cover lots of statisticians to tell you how well you are running your state)​
  • Minister of Score (covers your Score, and how you get it)​
  • Minister of Prestige (covers Prestige and how to improve it)​
  • Minister of Quality of Life (covers quality of life and how to improve it)​
  • Minister of Comparisions (shows how you are doing compared with other Races)​
  • Minister of Stability (covers stability and effects)​

In addition are openings for Provincial Governors, at one per inhabited planet and one for the wider solar system beyond the planet as applicable, with Sector Governors taking over once individual planets and systems lose relevance.

Of course, the game I have in mind treats each state much more closer to each Citizen having their personal impact, instead of as cogs in a machine like they are in Stellaris; the system is dynamic, with Citizens transferring roles of their own volition. For example, you could have a Citizen start as a Journalist, join the armed forces and be promoted to an Admiral, and then move on to the civilian government and become a Cabinet Minister then Ruler after their military career is over, with their experiences and personalities affecting each role in a different way.

So, putting a War Hero Citizen who has been a General and an Admiral as Minister of Recruitment would lead to major bonuses to troop/crew/officer quality over appointing some beancounter to the role, but equally the beancounter can get the job done much cheaper.

The more "player-friendly" government systems that more closely approximate Authoritarian governments can stop this, while Democratic governments cannot.

Lot more I could say, but I've just been reminded that I have an appointment....

The new POV is interesting. We'll see if Naomi's plan works...