• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Professionalism, Part 5
"Professionalism, Part 5"
22nd Hoggagha, 10 (2189)
Gillian Veres

Another week of refining ideas and preparing the gallery, and we are open to the public. I watch with my husband as our gallery is filled with people walking through the exhibition. Rivkah smiles to us; I look at Leonardo. "I definitely wish the Xenaya hadn't adopted that from Naomi."

He laughs. "The first time I saw that, I thought she was going to eat me."

I shrug. "The only one of us in danger of being eaten by a Xenaya is Naomi."

It's a good ten seconds. "Are you suggesting that Naomi gets... That from Buri?"

I laugh as I fiddle with my cape. "I asked her about what letting Buri have his way with her was like once."

There's a long pause, and a sigh. "Go on, I know you want to say."

"I got three words: 'Nine inch tongue.' Then a huge smile with her eyes lit up."

My husband declines to reply. I go back to looking at Rivkah.

Rivkah has adopted the uniform enthusiastically, and she's stood in black power armour with Command Crimson uniform pieces. No eight year old has ever looked so menacing. I join her. "How are you finding it?"

"Thando said I'd make Darth Vader leave brown stains."

"Great, that's one of the nicest things someone has said so far."

"What feedback have you had?"

I rest my hands on my lap. "Leonardo is still unpopular, and there's been some complaints about the difficulty of looking after capes."

She frowns. "The capes are the best bit, they look so cool. What have the other leaders said to you two?"

"Thando and Alexandra are getting measured up at the moment. Ykrett complained about the magnetism of some of the materials, Vorosh and Daas liked it, Sor-Gor thought it was ostentatious, Valerius, Caeso and Agrippina think it puts MSI's uniform to shame, Sophia has asked for a promotion to Scarlet Leader so that she gets the crimson... Your brother likes them. Tryykad approves based on the holographic models we sent. Overall, positive. Nothing from your parents obviously."

"They're still in the pods. I'm told internal organs are being constructed."

"Would you implement it without her seeing the uniforms?"

"Mum will love them. I'm certain."

"And Buri?"

"He'll like them." She smiles. "Which might make Mum unhappy, as he'll stop cleaning his sabres too."

I had that same experience when I experimented with AI art while writing Year of Hell. Gave me so much trouble I've stopped deathing with it altogether.

Kudos to you for pushing through to better results.

I know AI struggles to do hands and feet. Was not expecting to hear that other details like ears and teeth and braids could be an issue so consistently.

It is getting better; with the software I'm using I've not had a problem with human hands and feet apart from if it's drawing a sword, as the AI nearly always gets the sword wrong, or has the person hold it wrong on the rare times It has a sword with everything correctly proportioned and in the right places.

It can struggle with non-human characters a bit more. Ultimately it's still a developing technology, and I expect it will eventually get there. For now though, commercial use is still definitely better done by Human artists.

Starships
"Starships"
25th Hoggagha, 10 (2189)
Rivkah Of Unity

Estrili meets me wearing his new Engineering Black coveralls. "Rivkah, a word."

I look at the avian. "What's on your mind?"

He hands me a tablet. "I know you guys have been pretty busy of late, so I've had my teams just keep working on our projects. So there's a few progress reports to file. One, we've got conversions of the Arishkan warships into Science Ships and Constructors designed and waiting to build, and we're ready to commence full production of the 56m Orions. Thought you would want to know, given we can put some pretty big payloads up with those."

"I definitely do. What ships are you planning on?"

"Come with me."

Eventually we get back to the R&D test centres.

The only thing Arishkan about the prototype mock-up in front of me is the placeholder for a conversion monopole grid core engine. Estrili stretches out a wing with pride. "With the exception of the engine, everything here is off the shelf, our own kit. We've been in close talks with Alexandra's foremen. This ship is designed to carry more than a hundred Kyaese, with SODS and shuttles and more than a thousand tonnes of scientific equipment; they've got the parts to build it, you just need to decide what to fill the cargo holds with."

"Performance characteristics?"

He snorts. "Four megametres per second delta-v, with 2g and a bit acceleration."

"We could send a ship touring the star system no trouble."

I think about Mum's plans for logistics. There's so many ways to use a ship like this for. "Hyperdrive integration?"

"Naturally, we're still waiting for our test ship to get to test it."

"So one of these could just go off into the galaxy?"

"Yeah. They'll need to refuel the reactor and tanks every so often, but otherwise yes."

"How many passengers could they take?"

"Thousands. Just bolt on some more crew modules and aeroponics and all the other boring bits your type don't care about much."

I laugh. "I'll get you some engines and hyperdrives. I want science ships ready for interstellar exploration and reconnecting with our homeworlds."

"Consider it done."

Aunt Vaki
"Aunt Vaki"
25th Hoggagha, 10 (2189)
Rivkah Of Unity

I'm poked awake. Fell asleep at my desk again... It's Li. "Rivkah, we have a hail you are really going to want to talk to."

By the time we get to the command centre I've had a bowl of coffee beans and I'm awake.

I turn to the viewscreen, slightly dusty from lack of use. Aunt Vaki appears. "Hello Rivkah. Is your mother around?"

"Nope. She's in a vat of green stuff that will make her look like us."

"So you're in charge now?"

"Yes."

"Well, we finally got hold of a subspace transciever. We've had an interesting time."

"Same here."

"We did capture two more ships."

"We got a fleet."

"That is great. We could really use it... We're with the Lokra-Kitan. Their cold war with MSI turned hot, with MSI sending a fleet under Skrand Sharpbeak a few months ago."

Oh no. "That explains why it didn't come after us then."

"They've torn through the Lokra-Kitan. Billions of refugees have been ripped from their homes. They've turned around now, but the devastation they've left..."

I think of Mum's homeworld. "We know. They burned Earth and another Human planet. They came here too, but we defeated the fleet they sent."

"That must be why they retreated. Where is Odoos?" A Lokra-Kitan with one wing steps into view. "His brother would like to see him."

Who's Aunt Vaki? Was this in the rewrite that I need to get around to reading?

MSI is still brutal, even if their leader is more willing to negotiate... or is this a sign that she was overthrown?

Who's Aunt Vaki? Was this in the rewrite that I need to get around to reading?

MSI is still brutal, even if their leader is more willing to negotiate... or is this a sign that she was overthrown?
Nope, this is where we last heard from Vaki B'Than, Buri's sister, setting off into the cosmos to return home; with only radio broadcasts, they soon got out of contact range. Only they hit a complication when dropping off the Lokra-Kitan (our Payback Origin race) who were attacked by the Legendary Paragon Skrand Sharpbeak, on the orders of Gnaea Titius.

Putting it another way, Crassus (Gnaea) has fallen at Parthia.

Reactions:
Yo, it's been quite a while since we heard from Vaki B'Than!

"Nope. She's in a vat of green stuff that will make her look like us."

"So you're in charge now?"

"Yes."
Vaki's "no further questions" mentality is actually kind of endearing.

Yo, it's been quite a while since we heard from Vaki B'Than!
Nearly 40 pages in fact.

Vaki's "no further questions" mentality is actually kind of endearing.
It's their way; Xenaya recognise that the logical consequences of the law of the jungle gives rise to the herd. The core consequence of a world where there are no rules is that working together is stronger than being alone, giving rise to permanent dedicated pair bonds, and the formation of herds as pairs join up or have small families.

The nature of large numbers of apex predators means that the land rarely supports large numbers of Xenaya, making emigration from the family common. This communal nature gives rise to hierarchical expansions of the logic that led to the formation of pair bonds, leading to herds.
R
Humans put labels based on the size of social groups, and food distribution dynamics means that the typical herd size translates in concept to the social unit we'd call a tribe.

The other core consequence of the law of the jungle is that internal conflicts must be settled decisively, as in the absence of strong leadership the group will be defeated by another group with strong leadership, and when your dominant role for a leader is confrontation over hunting grounds in order to possess food to survive, the capacity for violence is an important attribute.

A stone age civilisation can survive well on that.

MSI's involvement changes everything.​

The introduction of metal working by them has created massive upsets to the traditional Xenayan society, creating a new economic dynamic based on stationary resources (prey animals are obviously not stationary in the way metal ores are) and the rise of greed as the B'Turna began selling Xenaya into slavery, creating a new social dynamic as equality of personhood - a given under law of the jungle to the Xenaya - is replaced by a caste system that supports the first Xenayan empire. Note that word is being used in the economic definition of a means of transferring resources from the periphery to the core.

All the colony's Xenaya were on the slave ship because of the B'Turnas. They've seen their society break beneath the B'Turnas. They've seen the death of Ruki B'Than at the hands of MSI aboard the slave ship.

In that environment, they go back to what they knew; a leadership contest.

Buri won, but they still had no way forward. Still slaves, still lost, unsure of the future.

And then a naked Human woman wearing a MSI's officers' Parazonium walks into their lives, and chooses them.

And now the two of them have a daughter who represents the future of the Xenaya. Vaki's loyalty is near absolute.

Reactions:
Fallen Triumvirate, Part 1
"Fallen Triumvirate, Part 1"
25th Hoggagha, 10 (2189)
Rivkah Of Unity

I have Odoos flown in, but he's still hours away.

While I wait, I realise something, and I call in Caeso and Agrippina.

"I have a theory I want to run past my Mum. Obviously she's unavailable, which means I need you guys. I've been thinking about events within MSI. And I have come to the conclusion I don't know anywhere near enough about the people in charge of MSI. If MSI was run by Humans, there would be a severe risk of a coup, military or otherwise. This is a problem, as our planning depends on stability. And we're already in a less good position because we can't use Appia's desire to get Mum out of her clothes against her any more. Who are the key people to be aware of? Do we have any leverage?"

Agrippina smirks. "Appia is one of Gnaea's followers who is in over her head."

"What's her power base?"

"Push comes to shove? She holds command over the defence fleet over Brigantia, and is a moderate among the Reformer camp who's hedonism makes her acceptable to the more decrepid side of MSI's elite; they know things like the Companionship Assets will never end under her leadership."

I extrapolate. "How many women are in her harem?"

Agrippina nods. "You understand exactly. She'd like to make your Mum one of them, but that's because she's an envious little toerag who wants what she can't have."

"And Mum belongs to Dad."

"Even more so once your Mum is back in action. Point is, unless the woman develops a spine, she's a pawn. The real power in the Reformer block within MSI backed Gnaea Titius; it was he who managed to package reform into a palatable concept to the Shareholders. With him gone, it leaves Appia at the head of a temporary government that no one believes will last."

I look at Caeso. "Do you agree?"

He cracks his fingers. "Broadly, yes. Where I'd counsel caution is that the Reformer block didn't exist as a block in MSI's power structure until Gnaea ousted Regulus Arminius, who largely lost the plot after your uncle shot his son."

"How long ago did Thando shoot him?"

"Twelve standard years ago now, with Gnaea beginning his overt moves to make a move to remove him around five years ago."

"So basically we killed the lead Reformer, and with him gone, made the next person much more likely to be a hardliner."

Caeso nods. "The Holocron killed him. But yes, what your Mum anticipated happening to Life2.0 might happen to MSI."

I gulp. I know exactly what he means. "Not ideal..."

"Quite."

"So, let's say Appia is pushed. Who is likely to take her place?"

"Septima Severus would be the worst for our colony. She has a privately owned navy and army that she uses to put down Kyaese rebellions across the Ringworld that her subjects call home, and while she's content to stay there when the home is stable..."

"Gnaea and Appia have both agreed to subject her to Kyaese justice."

"All that keeps her out is that very proscription. Gnaea had the power to back that up, but the recent battle means Appia does not."

I look at Agrippina. "Your thoughts?"

"Appia's one redeeming feature to Septima is that they are both hedonists, something that is not shared with the rest of the Reformer block. Septima knows enforcing a Reformer agenda is very different to stating a Reformer agenda, and she knows within her realm, she's untouchable. As long as the trade flows through the Gateway she had constructed to link up with MSI's core, she should be relatively stable."

"So she isn't going to be the one to push Appia. Who would?"

"Skrand Sharpbeak."

"We've heard a little about him. What makes him a threat?"

Caeso leans back in his chair. "During the Last Great War, Skrand was a mercenary Admiral employed by the then Arishkan Emperor. He made his reputation in defeating Prikki and Nalynoid fleets alike, until the Prikki trapped him in a Gateway. When MSI released him thirty years ago, it suited both parties to make him prestigious and powerful. He is therefore bound to the Traditionalist faction who supported him and gave him MSI's best fleet to lead."

"Is he a dangerous man now though?

"Yes, and worse, he's just had a taste of what he has missed out on since the Last Great War. Previously, he had grown soft in decades of silence, waiting for the day he would be needed. Gaius needed his own ships to carry out the expedition against the Humans and us. Now Skrand has his position made even stronger by our actions, and is reinvigorated."

"And before, he couldn't defeat the entire MSI navy."

"Now, he can. Especially if he links up with Septima."

"And he's just been recalled by Appia..."

I run out the room.

Investigating Radiator-Assisted Pulsed Nuclear Propulsion

Already discussed in the narrative so far are:

1. Implementing crankshafts to control pusher-plate movement
2. Electromagnetic launchers to launch pulse units
3. Stronger, lighter and higher temperature supporting pusher-plate materials

These together make the propulsion system more reliable, lighter and more resilient than the initial 1950s designs.

An additional possibility is the replacement of the ablative with extremely high heat radiators. While not so much of a problem with small pusher-plates, as ship sizes get bigger the ablative layer becomes a problematic amount of mass. Could we swap the ablative for extremely hot radiators?

In principle, a pusher-plate system could operate with no ablative coating; Dyson considered such a design back in the 1960s as part of his evaluation of using Hydrogen fusion bombs to propel an interstellar Orion ship. The Physics Today article is available here.

Dyson's proposal considers energy limited and momentum limited concepts. The first relies on allowing the pusher-plate to cool between pulses. This meant very high wait times between pulses; his copper concept relied on the dissipation of 4 PJ of thermal energy naturally via thermal radiation, and meant pulses, rather than on the order of 0.8 to 3 second waits between pulses described in real world Orion applications, would be on the order of once every few minutes.

While tolerable for interstellar applications, interplanetary use has some substantial problems with such slow accelerations, especially for military or fast transit applications.

We will now consider the requirements for such radiators.

The equation for an ideal blackbody radiator is P/A =σT^4, where σ is the Stephen-Boltzmann constant; 5.67×10^−8 W⋅m^−2⋅K^−4.

Power is the input energy from the pulse unit, with A being the area of radiators needed. Therefore, A = P/σT^4. Because we can safely assume double sided radiators, we can divide that by 2 again to actually have an amount of area of radiator to bolt on the side of our ship. We also need to allow for the fact that materials aren't always good blackbody radiators, which we can do by allowing larger radiators.

One highly advantageous part of Dyson's proposal was to use copper as the material for the pusher-plate; copper is limited to a melting temperature of 1358K. And he considered putting ~4PJ through it. Copper is not exactly a brilliant material, although a thermal conductivity of 369W/m K is very good, and part of why he suggested it. It's certainly not some sci-fi unobtainium or classified military material, and exactly as he was proposing, it's a nice easily worked metal we do a lot of things with. But it's by no means the best material available, even back in the '60s when he proposed it; his point was to prove feasibility after all, and if a low grade material could manage it, his point was achieved.

We are looking for vastly improved performance however. A safe usage temperature of 1290K is unacceptably low, it's density of 8960kg/m³ is rather high, it's specific heat is rather middling and it's strength is really rather low.

Now, we are going to push the temperature much higher. 3000K or better means we can cut the dimensions of our end radiator to a fifth of the size of the initial copper proposal.

A few candidates come to mind:

Tantalum Hafnium Carbide. Anything that has a safe usage temperature of 4050K immediately demands consideration as a radiator, although it is let down by it's massive density at 14,700kg/m³, and half the specific heat. Of note is that it has a fraction of the thermal conductivity. (in space you can't get rid of heat by conduction anyway, so, all this does is limit heat transfer from the pusher-plate into the rest of the ship) It's much stronger than copper, so in principle we can get away with a thinner pusher-plate. But there's no getting away from the mass penalty.

Hafnium Carbide. Not quite as high safe usage temperature, but lower density.

Amorphous Carbon. A natural choice of Children Of A Dead Earth players for radiators because it's light, cheap and has an extremely high safe usage temperature. It isn't as strong in terms of ultimate yield strengths as copper, although acceptably close otherwise. It has better than four times copper's specific heat and best of all, a density of 2100kg/m³ and a safe usage temperature of 3719K. Let down by the fact it'll vaporise at 3915K.

Glass-like Carbon. Not quite as good as Amorphous Carbon, but is only 1500kg/m³.

Tungsten. While only usable up to 3461K and one of the densest materials, it is already well invested in for mining and manufacturing by our protagonists and is extremely strong, and therefore very suitable for pusher-plates.

How can we choose between them?

The obvious answer is use whichever has the lowest radiator mass. To find this we bung the numbers into the equation. Assuming a single square radiator, side length is √((P/σT^4)/2)

Using 100 degrees below each materials safe usage temperature as factor of safety gives in order, 256m, 268m, 305m, 311m, and 354m. (Copper, for context, gives 2812m)

Using a 1cm thickness gives...

Well, the answer is really bad. THC has 9.6 kilotons of radiator required to dissipate that much heat in a second. We can therefore immediately discount THC and Tungsten, because that is denser and lower temperature. But what about the least dense material, Glass-like Carbon? That works out at a much more feasible 1.56kt of radiator mass. Still far too heavy for military applications; ablative systems would operate for thousands of pulse units for that.

But equally, this assumes that the entire nuke is used as thermal energy to heat the pusher-plate, which it isn't; 80% goes to kinetic energy of the ship. If we allow a little margin of safety and drop the power dissipated to 33% of the nuke, we can use radiators 33% of the size. ~500 ton radiators are not ideal, but they aren't impossible to work with either.

In conclusion, it seems reasonable that a mixed approach of using smaller radiators and longer waits between pulses could lead to a feasible solution for freight operations that would eliminate one source of maintenance cost, although it isn't suitable for all pulsed nuclear propulsion applications.

Last edited:
No narrative update this morning as I've gone and added links to the OP for the previous 8 pages of posts.

With Fallen Triumvirate, we are now entering the final MSI vs Life2.0 arc. Obviously, there's still plenty of room for the story to continue afterwards, as various powers on the wider galactic scene are yet to make their introductions, but it is worth noting that we are at the end of the main Broken Shackles aspect of the narrative. What follows is the collapse of MSI.

Where I'd counsel caution is that the Reformer block didn't exist as a block in MSI's power structure until Gnaea ousted Regulus Arminius, who largely lost the plot after your uncle shot his son."

"How long ago did Thando shoot him?"

"Twelve standard years ago now, with Gnaea beginning his overt moves to make a move to remove him around five years ago."

"So basically we killed the lead Reformer, and with him gone, made the next person much more likely to be a hardliner."

Oh, that's bad. Rivkah and co. should check their feet for gunshot wounds. Maybe time mellowed Arminius out? It's a long shot, but twelve years is a substantial amount of time.

It's nice to know that MSI will fall, but I doubt that will occur without a cost - probably in lives. Do you plan to continue the AAR after MSI falls? I think you said that it would end with Naomi and Buri establishing a regime on the Xenaya homeworld, but I could be wrong...

Are there any other divisions besides reformist versus traditionalist? If there are, can Life 2.0 exploit them?

How did the reformist faction get started in the first place?

Fallen Triumvirate, Part 2
"Fallen Triumvirate, Part 2"
25th Hoggagha, 10 (2189)
Rivkah Of Unity

Appia sits wearing a strapless dress that Mum would only wear for Dad, at home, sipping a glass of red water. "Hello Rivkah. Is your mother around?"

"She and Dad are away together."

"Oh. A girl can dream, can't she?"

"My Dad would eat you for saying that."

"And not the way he eats her, I'm sure." She sighs. Spills her drink. "I've had a bad day."

"How bad a day?"

"MSI's charter for being designated uplifter expires. Normally a non-problem, but your agitation of the Galactic Community means I've had to smooth things over to retain that position. Naturally, keeping it unthreatened is a key performance indicator, and the Traditionalist factions are using it as an excuse to try to remove me. I'm now a figurehead of a minority government."

"We've been thinking about the political situation ourselves. We're concerned about the possibility of a coup."

"So am I... Honestly, I'm considering abdication and running for the border."

"How bad are things?"

"Short answer or long answer?"

"Long."

"And are you asking to gloat, or because you want to help me?"

"Appia... I find the way you want to mate with my Mum very distasteful. And I'm not keen on the fact you won't release the Companionship Assets. But, I'd much rather have you in charge of MSI than someone like Septima Severus. So, we're allies."

She nods. Downs one glass, gets another. "I woke up this morning to the news that Opiter Baebius had filled for my removal to the Board. One of the more active Shareholders, he opposes Reformers as a disease. But Gnaea had a fleet."

"You've still got the defence fleet?"

Her face sours. "Servia Didius tabled a motion to remove me from command." She downs her glass. "After all I did for her..."

"Ex-lover?"

She laughs. "I wish! She's got the body of a goddess...." She sighs. "But no. Her husband Ovidius hates me after I made a pass on her at a party once." She gets the bottle. "No, she is my now second in command after my second in command was poisoned last week."

"And she gets the fleet if you are removed?"

"In the interim. The Board are very touchy about who has the home defence fleet permanently, and Julia Neronius is supportive of reform, so Servia wouldn't have it long term."

"Relative of Agrippina?"

"Older sister." She sighs. "Your Neronius convinced her to change her mind, thankfully." She drinks another glass. "Still won't bed me though... What's a girl to do?"

"Stop thinking with her crotch?"

She bursts into laughter. "Rivkah... Let's face it. I'm a dead woman walking. At best I'll get exiled... And where can I go if I am?"

"We'll take you in."

She shakes her head as she drinks straight from the bottle. "Thought about that, I'll end up making a pass at your Mum and getting eaten by your Dad."

I hold back Mum's transformation for now. "Better than being assassinated."

She nods. "True." She downs the bottle. Gets another. Sighs. "So, I'm kind of left hoping I can find love in what remains of my life." She looks at me. "Are you taken?"

"One, we Xenaya mate to reproduce. Two, I accept I don't look it, but I'm underage. Three... I'm into men."

She drinks. "Figured you would be. How often do Xenaya mate? And are the men... proportional?"

I can't help but laugh. "We mate every two standard years. And no, it's literally a small tube that only grows in the mating season and gets reabsorbed afterwards. It's Gillian who makes jokes of Dad wearing Mum hands free."

"Oh. I couldn't live with that." She sighs as she drinks. "If you are going to have a man, he should at least be big enough to satisfy you. What should I do Rivkah?"

I stifle a laugh. "Honest answer... Humans and Olinbari have so many problems caused by thinking with your sexual organs. We Xenaya don't have that problem. Use your brain, you're a smart woman. Even if all you are interested in now is getting in another girl's underwear, you'll do it better if you've beaten those trying to kick you out."

She stands abruptly, throws the bottle. "You're right, they haven't got me yet, I can still do this..."

I wince as she hits the floor. "Maybe you should recover first though."

She looks up from the floor. "Yes... I'll just stay here tonight. Thank you Rivkah. Let's get a plan together in the morning."

Oh, that's bad. Rivkah and co. should check their feet for gunshot wounds. Maybe time mellowed Arminius out? It's a long shot, but twelve years is a substantial amount of time.
Gnaea was a bit more permanent than that.

It's nice to know that MSI will fall, but I doubt that will occur without a cost - probably in lives. Do you plan to continue the AAR after MSI falls? I think you said that it would end with Naomi and Buri establishing a regime on the Xenaya homeworld, but I could be wrong...
As said, there's lots of room to continue. We've still got 40 odd years between now and Naomi and Buri retiring to the Xenayan homeworld yet.

Are there any other divisions besides reformist versus traditionalist? If there are, can Life 2.0 exploit them?
That is the dominant axis on which MSI's fate hangs.

How did the reformist faction get started in the first place?
Caeso and Atalyah.

Reactions:
Fallen Triumvirate, Part 3

"Fallen Triumvirate, Part 3"
25th Hoggagha, 10 (2189)
Odoos

I look at my long lost brother. "It's so good to see you are still alive, Cacaak."

He holds up a missing wing. "They tried." He looks beside me. "You're alone?"

My heart breaks as I see Oota's broken body again. "She didn't make it."

He stands lost for words. Then preens his wing. "Footoo is lost too."

We weep together for our lost wives. But tears end eventually. He brings up the future. "How goes your life now?"

"I miss her every day. But I run a research project in the tundra on Unity, comparing the flora and fauna of Unity to Nokruu. I mostly stay out of politics."

"After they took you, Footoo and I joined the Resistance."

"I heard you broke a Flagship?"

"And Nokruu at the same time, sadly. It took a lot of nuclear weapons. After the Flagship,we expanded as fast as we could. MSI began sending enforcement agents, and we shot them. Eventually they declared war. By then, Footoo and I were leading in the Resistance. Then Gnaea sent Sharpbeak."

"Gnaea came to Unity too, demanding our vassalisation."

"How did he lose then?"

"That's not a short question, as I'd have to begin with Naomi and the lunatics that constitute her family."

"Vaki has nothing but praise for her."

I nod. "She's adopted the Xenaya as her people. Well, one of her ancestors made a machine to think like him, and this machine has set up his own military-industrial complex, and he used nuclear bombs to propel ships as battering rams against Gnaea's fleet, and then we all mounted boarding actions. captured most of the fleet."

"Is it true that Naomi has treated Olinbari as equals?"

"Yes. She believes that by maintaining true equality, she can avoid total war with MSI."

My brother jumps. "She truly believes it?"

"Yes."

"Vaki said the same... I can't bring myself to trust any Olinbari."

"Well, it's working for us. We've gotten MSI to treat us as equals."

"We've gotten them to retreat."

I breathe in. "Rivkah doesn't believe that. Appia has recalled Sharpbeak, and Rivkah believes Sharpbeak intends to sieze power."

He scowls. "First name terms with the Olinbari leadership?"

"Appia has had sexual relationships with Valerius and Naomi. They know each other well."

My brother stands thoughtfully. "If Sharpbeak has gone rogue, there might be an opportunity."

"Rivkah and Appia have agreed to discuss strategies tomorrow."

"What are your people planning?"

"Well, the Reformers are happy to align with us, especially now we've got the bulk of Gnaea's fleet. We think we can get a genuine alliance on equal terms, and then support them moving away from slavery."

"Do you believe it though?"

I think about it. "It's not revenge. But it is right."

He nods. "Forgive me Odoos, but I must discuss what you've told me with our people; if what you say is true, it changes everything for us."

"Good luck brother."

"You too."

The comm link ends. It's good to have family again.

I turn to leave. Rivkah is behind me. "Odoos, are you busy tomorrow?"

"No more than usual, why?"

"Appia is hosting a conference tomorrow. I would like you to be present, we need a moderate Lokra-Kitan."

"Rivkah, I accept."

Appia sounds like she's starved for hedonistic pleasure. Half of me wonders whether she would become a brothel owner outside of MSI or just the most valued customer of one.

Brothel owner, naturally. But she's realising the days of being able to have that are numbered.

"She's adopted the Xenaya as her people. Well, one of her ancestors made a machine to think like him, and this machine has set up his own military-industrial complex, and he used nuclear bombs to propel ships as battering rams against Gnaea's fleet, and then we all mounted boarding actions. captured most of the fleet."
Compressing the whole story into a nutshell like this is becoming a taller and taller order. The Oversimplified youtube channel would be proud.

Wait, is Appia on Unity? Isn't that a massive risk? If she's not on Unity, when did Rivkah switch planets, and where are they chatting?

How many second-in-commands has Appia gone through? How common is the use of poison to eliminate people in MSI?

If Life 2.0 (and Appia) can get more allies, that would be very useful.

Fallen Triumvirate, Part 4
"Fallen Triumvirate, Part 4"
25th Hoggagha, 10 (2189)
Naomi Of Unity

Buri pulls me into his arms as we look at the Holocron. "What do you mean 'Appia has called a conference to decide the fate of MSI, and we are invited.'?"

"Things have progressed while you two have been in here. Rivkah and Appia had a holocall earlier, and Appia disclosed that there's a motion to remove her from both the CEO position and command of the defence fleet."

I look at Buri. Both of us switch to tactical analysis. "She's lost control. But deciding the fate of MSI is a little extreme?"

"Shareholder revolt has begun a civil war between Reformers and Traditionalists. Sharpbeak has sided with the Traditionalist faction."

"Oh."

"So, Appia is hosting a holo-conference tomorrow morning with guests from mercenary companies, loyal subsidiaries, a trimmed down Board with the Traditionalists arrested. Appia has invited us and the Lokra-Kitan. She wants a military alliance."

"Who is joining alongside Rivkah?"

"Me, Odoos, Caeso, Agrippina, Vorosh, Daas, Wami, Kryydur and Leonardo."

"Is there a way for us to come?"

"These pods are totally sealed off from the outside world. They'll have to do this without you."

Buri and I look at each other. "Our little girl is growing up."

I smile. "She'll be fine."

I turn back to the Holocron. "How quickly can we be finished?"

"At the moment you are both assemblies of internal organs held together by a framework as your skeletons are grown. A few more weeks yet."

"Please keep us updated."

"I will."