• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd post more but it's like defacing the Mona Lisa to clutter up your thread. So, keep on keeping on! Thought your last AARs were great and I'm looking forward to this one.

Chapter 1 - Preparing a good pot of tea

Players: As indicated in the start up

Forewords: My main focus in my start build-up is preparing for the defense of Gibraltar. Building forts, AA and even an extension to the port to make sure I can supply troops and planes that I plan to base there. Another thing is building the things I think I am going to need on the Gibraltar defense force. Still, I can’t be sure Thelamon will attack it – but I think he will. I simply want to do all that I can to hold it, as it is the key for the flexibility I like with UK.

Other than that, I don’t want to tell you too much of my plans and ideas just yet. Von Rosen is bound to have a clever build-up strategy on Soviet. Zid will have a tough time doing something else than get ass-kicked on France but it is never the less important to utilizes the French in the best possible way. It is going to be interesting to see what Gamlastan can to on China. They have some serious buffs new, kicking in in three steps as China is losing provinces. So it is all about keeping the forces together until all the bonuses is active and the Japs has long supply-lines.

And then it is all for Thelamon on Germany to roll the die. He is capable of some naughty plan-making, he know the mechanics well and is an old multi player veteran who will not fall into the classic single-player traps. I expect him to be a really challenging adversary on Germany.

October 9th, 1939

Oh, you bloody bastards. What nerves. Not like the Empire will care if that Nazi dog chooses to swallow the low bastardly province-sized country of Switzerland. And what on earth are those stupid inbred pricks going to do with heavy cruiser engines? Put it on a tank? It is all backwards.

Authors note: Never seen that Before...

October 24th, 1939

The Chinese leadership held together the Chinese forces well, and lost only some militias early on. They retreated best they could to find better defensive lines deeper into the country.

February 1st, 1939

The Chinese continued to retreat and managed to lose very few units, although much of their country fell into Japanese hands.

Authors note: The boost on China seem to be quite fitting. Hard to tell from just 1 game, but Gamlastan at least managed to keep his forces alive although he had no chance of really halting Japan (Maxyboy and Sir Henry).

February 21st, 1939

In Europe, the diplomatic situation buzzed with activities and rumors. The vile Germans made a pact with the Soviets, but the Allies were unsure exactly what that pact meant. The Germans made diplomatic pushers and threats in other direction and the French, worried about what allies this Axis were fishing for, stages a successful coup in Hungary. The Hungarian leadership had moved closer and closer to the Germans, obviously tricked by their lies and the French boosted the democratic opposition to move in and replace the pretenders and obvious “fascists-to-be”.

Although it was pretty clear the Soviets would not rally for the Allied cause, at least the Hungarians would not side with the Germans anytime soon. Perhaps they could even join the Allies?

April 20th, 1939

The Brits wanted to make Gibraltar into a fortress. It must not fall. Ever. The mountain was so filled with AA-guns an enemy bomber would have a hard time entering the air space. Also so port was widened to ensure even a big defending army could be supplied.

Already, a quite big army had settled here. Gibraltar would not fall for any surprise-attack by any hostile nation.

May 8th, 1939

For some time, it has been obvious that Germany’s thirst for space and land is far from quenched. France and United Kingdom supported the Poles to stand firm. They did. But the Germans did not fear a war. No… They longed for it. And so it began.

Authors note: I have decided to redo an old and already used strategy. To strike at Königsberg. It’s quite dangerous, especially as I know Thelamon (Germany) has read about that attack in an old AAR. But I can’t help myself. I need to do it. And he can’t be everywhere…

As May came and no DoW came I grew worried. Several of the divisions in my first wave were far from full strength yet. I had been so eager to ship them off to the Baltic Sea. So, as the second wave gained strength in UK and time passed I grew more and more confused. Should I attack superior Germans with divisions at 75% strength… or should I make a sudden change? I went for the change. I send the first wave home and sent the second wave to the Baltic instead. In the second wave, I did not have the fortress busters which I had planned for Königsberg, but at least most divisions were at full strength or closely so. As Thelamon lingered on the DoW, the original second wave, now the first, got into position in the Baltic Sea and the first wave got back to England and started to fill the ranks.

Another operation Trebuchet, this will be fun. I wonder why Thelamon hasn't declared war yet? Perhaps he wants to be in position to take Denmark first, knowing your obsession with the Sound ;)

Another operation Trebuchet, this will be fun. I wonder why Thelamon hasn't declared war yet? Perhaps he wants to be in position to take Denmark first, knowing your obsession with the Sound ;)

That might result in one British corps gone right at the start of the game. More importantly, an English corps which will not be available in France.

Do you guys teach your kids to play the game? I wonder if there'll be a Sir Henry the 2nd at one point, giving us the Carnage series with Hearts of Iron XVI.

I'm Cybvep and this is my favourite AAR series on the Paradox Plaza.

That reference :D

Do you guys teach your kids to play the game? I wonder if there'll be a Sir Henry the 2nd at one point, giving us the Carnage series with Hearts of Iron XVI.

If anything, it'll be Hearts of Iron VII with six expansions when the new young blood arrives :p

I'm impressed that China is still alive. Seems quite wrong that she doesn't stay around to tie up Japanese troops for a long time. Not strong enough to chuck the Japanese out of China, but long enough to keep many tied up.

Let's see how this new flying circus gets on!

well .... i'm afraid all southern pocket will die , deprived of supplies. but that boost is quite fitting.
we shall see some rbrit action soon! and an attack at 75% is a nice decoy.

Oh and i guess Switzerland is gonna try Svip's idea to put ships on wheels.

That might result in one British corps gone right at the start of the game. More importantly, an English corps which will not be available in France.

Where's your optimism, Bobby? ;)

Too early for any real teaching. Starting up with giving them gruel while watching divisions move across the map.... Gotto get a feel for the basics.

Is China alive as of May 1939?

Yes. A boosted China with a player (see HRs).

I'm impressed that China is still alive. Seems quite wrong that she doesn't stay around to tie up Japanese troops for a long time. Not strong enough to chuck the Japanese out of China, but long enough to keep many tied up.

Yes. That's what we want to achieve. And to give China a chance of actually surprising. As it seem to be now, Jap player need to be really attentive on the China situation or risk ending up in a cumbersome situation.

well .... i'm afraid all southern pocket will die , deprived of supplies. but that boost is quite fitting.

I actually think Gamla Stan has managed to retreat all (or most) troops out of the pockets. But Japan don't want to take more than necessary as it will initiate Another Chinese boost.

Too early for any real teaching. Starting up with giving them gruel while watching divisions move across the map.... Gotto get a feel for the basics.

That's good indoctri... parenting. Make them associate HoI with warmth, comfort, food, and daddy having fun. Get them while they're young.

Hmmm, a heavy cruiser engine for Switserland? Well obviously they want an armoured mountaineer corps, they need a lot of grunt in the engine to get around in those mountainas.
The start looks very promising, good luck.