• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes it isn't there in 1444 even if it has cores and a scripted revolt. But it's rare to see them alive for long if they even win the revolt.

Here are the stats I promised:

Development 3 provinces, 29 development. Quite the change with the Ottomans
Income 3,04 (-5,30) that does not really count as half my country is occupied and I'm at war
Army 7/3/0 (10 FL)
Tech 13/13/16, Aristocratic 7, Religious 7, Offensive 7. Lacking Printing Press and Global Trade (which I quickly got). 2 military ideas and my conversion to Sikh is why my army ended up so good (and the good mil tech compared to the other techs and the average tech of India)

Development 27 provinces, 232 development. We multiplied our country by almost 10
Income 27,65 (+10,68). That's still relatively low for that time in the game but we are in the poorest part of India and we haven't finished all buildings. The AI is still on good tracks.
Army 16/4/5 (37 FL) Once again, it's decent but on the weaker side for 1659. We really rely in Vijayanagar
Tech 14/15/20, Aristocratic 7, Religious 7, Offensive 7, Economic 3. We don't have Manufactories but we should have it soon. Otherwise we're on time for Mil Tech so ahead of everyone around us. The quality of our army is impressive. I picked Economic which is a solid group for the AI and adds strong policies. Let's hope Marwar can save the burning world.

• 3Like
Reactions:
going steady, I'm curious which part of the world you'll fix next :)

Reactions:
Been lurking and really enjoying this. Great format, great writing and presentation. I love the recaps of each former country. I'm guessing the Ottomans smoked Russia et. al.

Reactions:
I finished playing this before the next patch and reached 1821. So I'll post all the updates in the next days/weeks :)

• 4Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
I guess most of you forgot where we were, which is completely understandable. As I said, I reached 1821, but I also had completely forgotten that I only posted until Marwar. Let's get ready for 160 years of action and surprises.

First, a recap of how everyone is doing.

Our first nation had been Kedah, a South-East Asian OPM who became the strongest in the area under our guidance, and then was completely eclipsed by Malacca once the AI took over.
wTbfncL.png

They were back to an OPM in 1630 and the prospects were grim.

TJmYAlL.png

And we officially lost our first nation. This is a real disappointment, I think they had an excellent position and I still don't understand how they screw it up. Once they lost the first war against Malacca this was over, but they should never have lost that first war with their strong allies and more development than Malacca. Oh well...

Our second nation was a lot stronger and safer.
L4NGHMl.png

Mali's issue was really stagnation. Allied to Katsina and Kanem Bornu, and for some reason unwilling to attack Benin and Ashanti, while the Europeans were agressively colonizing the area. Thankfully Scotland and Britanny, who are definitely not the scariest.

IQaQXVE.png

Forget everything I said, they actually moved. They killed Ashanti and Britanny killed Benin. More importantly, Jolof revolted away from Scotland giving a new target, and Scotland and Britanny locked the coastline. This means there won't be any Castile there any time soon; Mali should be safe.

We then rolled tiny OPM Ennarea:
3or686f.png

We could not do much being completely locked, so we had focused on the Coptic Front, hoping Alodia and Ethiopia would do well and we'd do well by proxy.

hUnpxjV.png

That's a failure. The Ottomans are way too strong. I killed the Coptic Front when I rolled them.

At least our fourth nation shouldn't die at all:
NEmoTRe.png

Vijayanagar was already looking beautiful when we left them, and they've been looking more beautiful every update. We know a lot about them from our Marwar game.

KiwBc4u.png

Yet another 5 provinces and 50 development. That's not much, but they were abused by their ally Marwar who kept calling them in their wars (hmhm) and they also fought a war with Multan against the Ottomans which ended in a stalemate. That really set them back. Once we consider this, the fact they still grew is impressive. Marwar and Multan are strong allies, now maybe time to invade Delhi?

Next came a weak Sweden, which we found on the verge of financial ruin.
PbpUMen.png

We tried to consolidate, but the AI antagonized Russia and lost a lot of land in Finland in a recent war:

YYZKu70.png

Sadly things keep going worse, they lost another war. They aren't losing much land and they still have their heartland, but they really have only one way back into this: if the Ottomans destroy Russia. Otherwise they'll slowly lose ground.

We kept medium European powers with Aragon.
XfQ7uj9.png

I had done a good job expanding and controlling trade, but the diplomatic setup was really bad because I never broke Castile or France. At least the alliances with GB and Austria were good (although Austria lost the League War).

aa0mCjf.png

And the expected happened. Great Britain dishonored, they are clearly about to lose this war. I should probably have been more agressive, that was a mistake. I played it as I would have if that was an Aragon game (killing minors, controlling trade, building a powerbase) but that does not make any sense here: I should have foreseen Aragon's death if I did not manage to kill at least one of my two scary neighbours. I am quite frustrated.

Then, we finally left Europe to discover Yaka, a small Central African nation. We completely transformed them and made them Catholic.
AgC08Ye.png

They had done an excellent job in AI's hands, winning a crucial war against Chokwe and finding valuable European allies. Could it be an AI success?

dwNnuC4.png

Definitely not an AI success... Karagwe and Kazembe allied. Yaka attacked them alone 1V2, and is losing. Very sad. I don't understand why Kazembe and Karagwe aren't rivalled.

Our following country was the Ottomans. Sometimes you're lucky. Or were we actually? This was probably the least enjoyable of all the runs, we just consolidated and created a monster, smashing poor minors:
n4Th0pe.png

We at least know that the Ottomans got stuck in some big wars. But did it affect them?
X0UbTwT.png

Not at all. I made them way too stable. They're almost guaranteed to win the game and end up #1 GP in 1821 already, unless I roll Russia right now (spoiler, I did not). They have twice the development of everyone else.

And finally, our final played nation war Marwar. A very weak Indian state who had only one asset, an alliance with Vijayanagar. We used that to secure a nice little Kingdom and even embraced Sikhism to save the burning world.
BBwh2QL.png

So... who's our tenth nation? Not Russia, not someone able to challenge the Ottomans. But an interesting nation with some good potential:
rcfAZsi.png

The only interaction I had with Milan so far was repeatedly wiping their armies as Aragon. But they look decently strong, with two major allies: Great Britain and Hungary. Although we see that Hungary could die to the Ottomans any time, and we know Great Britain is a terrible ally because they just abandonned Aragon to their death.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
welcome back!

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
10. Milan (1659-1689)
So, here is the starting position of Milan:

Development 19 provinces, 351 development. This isn't bad, we are pretty tall already.
Income 68,87 Unsurprisingly, we are also already pretty rich
Army 23/8/27 (72 FL) And we even have a decently big army
Tech 21/20/20 Admin, Trade, Offensive, Economic, Quality3. Excellent idea groups, almost what I would have picked myself.

Milan looks to be in a very good shape. A quick reminder of their diplomatic situation:
2bC34Nr.png

France is obviously scary, but Great Britain and Hungary should offer protection. Otherwise, nations like Aragon, The Papal State or Ferrara are tempting targets, and we are part of the HRE for some reason so Germany is open.

oJ4lstx.png

A closer inspection reveals Bohemia is the Emperor. Not the scariest Empire.

4NW0mYd.png

Almost all of Germany is Protestant/Reformed, but it failed everywhere else.

vc5Hjnf.png

We are still Ambrosian Republic and we have some very good reforms with Republicanism, Consolidation of Power and Citizenry. A good, solid country.

Time to unpause and make some actions then. My first move is to find allies more directly useful in the area:
ArnGpZE.png

The Papal State is allied to Castile so we can't attack them. We might as well ally them and this also makes sense because we're Catholic surrounded by many heretics. Meanwhile, we also cancel our alliance with Bosnia: they will most likely get attacked by the Ottomans, and they don't serve any purpose.

jmJNndQ.png

And that's our first offensive move. It really shouldn't be the hardest war, and it isn't.

RcHXUQG.png

This does not look much, but we are taking very high development HRE Protestant land when we are catholic. We can't take more or we'll get coalitioned by all of Germany. This obviously makes expansion super slow.

We still find things to do and can afford another war:
7jPbFa5.png

An even easier one:
rzbjtcQ.png

And... that's about it. For real, we can't expand anymore, we have to wait at least 10 years. As usual, I focused on internal matters and economy, deleting buildings and adding new ones. Not much happened, apart from Great Britain calling us in a colonial war against the Netherlands:
KGoinUA.png

Fascinating. At least we could fight a bit, because obviously Britain never landed and let us handle everything in Europe.

After 10 years of waiting for AE to dissipate, we are back:
z3651zN.png

This is clearly the biggest war we'll do with Milan. We set Ferrara as cobelligerant because we will take land from them too.

And here is that land:
IZCfUDY.png

This is not much and not the best land, but this gives us the mountainous pass: let's give Milan the tools to defend themselves.

dWVAH9m.png

And this completes our war. As you see, we can't take more, we're already in coalition territory.

So... what's left to do? Build buildings I guess?
Etuh1SD.png

Nothing left to build, all provinces are minmaxed.

This means we really don't have anything else to do with Milan. We don't look stronger on the map, but we are even more rich and stable than we (already) were:
yX8XUrY.png

A bit of a weird one. Milan was successful, stable, and rich. We made them a bit more successful, stable and rich, but it's impossible to make them a great power by that point, especially with the very high AE. At least, do we see some progress with the stats?

Development 19 provinces, 351 development.
Income 68,87
Army 23/8/27 (72 FL)
Tech 21/20/20 Admin, Trade, Offensive, Economic, Quality3.

Development 26 provinces, 493 development. We kept adding high dev provinces and developping.
Income 156,06 That's pretty much what I did: I more than doubled the income, even if the nation was already super rich.
Army 40/0/40 (84 FL)
Tech 23/23/21, Admin, Trade, Offensive, Eco, Quality, Plutocratic. I fell behind in miltech to finish Quality and add Plutocratic, my favourite idea group of the game.

I'm not concerned about Milan at all, they have decent allies (GB, Papal States, Hungary), are extremely rich and easy to defend with high level forts in the Alps. Of course they could die to France or the Ottomans, but I don't think this is about to happen. They can also still punch Ferrara every 15-20 years to get even richer if they want.

But I hope our next nation will be able to wage more wars.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Would it have made sense to take a look at the new world for some expansion there? Definitely not colonizing since we don't have the ideas but maybe taking over some colonies or indigenous nations? Not that Milan needed any more money, but just to have had something to do without antagonizing neighbors.

Reactions:
Potentially, but the New World is mostly owned by Great European Powers, so this is taking unnecessary risks for absolutely no reward. Land for the sake of land is just a way to get attacked over the useless land imo, once the AI takes over.
We also just unlocked Imperialism, before that it would have been no CBs.

That's a real possibility (I migrated to Iceland and then the New World as Hamburg in my first AAR with a similar concept) but not when we have clear things to do in the area. I enjoy building my country more than just annexing everyone as I did with Ottomans, this wasn't boring, just a short update without a lot of screens.

Reactions:
I am happy, you with that AAR returned!
I am sad to see Kedah go. And for Milan, your reasoning to not take land for the sake of a bigger name, makes sense to me, because I wwas looking at Aragonese land ;)
Looking forward to the last 130 years :)

• 1Love
Reactions:
Time for an overview of the world.

Our first nation was also the first one to die: Keddah had been annexed by Malacca. I still give a short update of the region:
RPAMu4m.png

HkGvisC.png

As you can see, Castile is expanding agressively in the area and Malacca is now the one dying. That whole area seems to be doomed. That's still 1.30, and it feels weird looking at the old map.

Our second country was at least a lot more stable even if they failed to expand in the last decades:
wXbHZUA.png

But it seems Mali turned things around and finally secured some of that coastline:
A0KT5R2.png

They defeated Scotland (that was Scotland there, not Castile), still have good alliances, and it's actually even better because they lost their alliance with Kanem Bornu which consolidates the region. Kill Britanny now to fully control the coast?

Our third country was tiny Ennarea, but I had little hope for the Coptic front:
zfCrYs6.png

wZxIDDC.png
As expected, these Ottomans are way too strong, and Ennarea is probably the next one to die. I don't think Alodia is enough to prevent the Ottomans' agression.

Next was another yellow country, but a much stronger one:
nA1lKNI.png

Vijayanagar had possibilities aplenty and was the indisputable superpower of India.

LWAuYP4.png

They went for Bengal, which is the most logical move: this probably boosted their trade income even more. 1501 dev and a perfect trade setup, they're one of the strongest nations in the world. We also see that the Indian dynamic is shifting, but more on that later.

EWEDl9q.png

Things looked pretty grim for Sweden who had lost their alliances to Russia and the Commonwealth, and lost a big war against Russia.

NpmiUCr.png

But they bounced back a bit. They haven't lost another war, and they expanded on the remnants of Denmark. Russia can kill them anytime, but if Russia isn't interested in their land, they could actually do well. They're a solid 531 dev country with a nice control of the Baltic trade and high quality army.

9YP828Q.png

Aragon were way too thin to properly defend themselves, with very disconnected holdings. It looked like their war vs Castile would end up badly.

yRI2fSN.png

And it did. They lost some land to Castile and they're even more disconnected. Alliances with GB and Austria aren't bad on paper, but Austria lost the Emperorship and looks pretty weak, and GB is... well GB. We all know they won't really be useful if Castile attacks again (they still need to form Spain). Oh and Aragon borders the Ottomans. So there's that.

6F2hpXj.png

Yaka had done a suicidal move. They had solid defensive allies but they got bored of not being able to call them in offensive wars so they attacked Kazembe+Karagwe 1v2 and were losing.

65pkm48.png

And they lost half of their country. They still have an alliance with Mali (and the Isles because reasons). I think Mali is stable so they shouldn't ever dishonor, so Kazembe won't attack Yaka. But Yaka can't attack Kazembe either, Mali refuses to join because this is a distant war (doesn't look distant to me but whatever). So yes, stalemate here it seems.

Then came the Blob:
O8UYnlk.png

XMyN0UT.png

Still blobbing. They added almost 500 dev since last time, breaking 3k dev. They are unstoppable.

We then moved back to India, with the Sikh nation of Marwar.
Qe6tsEJ.png

They were still allied to Vijayanagar. And as we saw when I showed Vijayanagar, interesting things happened:
Mth3PIJ.png

Marwar keeps growing and Multan is dying. This gives tons of opportunities, so long as Vijayanagar is friendly.

And finally there was Milan, which we just left. They had grown under our leadership:
zTzOPvu.png

l92qOcy.png

Time will tell how things develop. And maybe we'll interact with them immediately... Because our next country is also in Europe!

kGSSAoA.png

Münster. A medium sized power in the HRE, a Reformed Bishopric. Interesting one.

• 5Like
Reactions: