• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I love these AARs where we see lots of different nations in the hands of the player, and it looks like it started well. I wouldn't worry overly much about Enarea - you did what you could for them, and looks like fate's rewarded you with a really nice situation for your 4th nation.

As it is, I'm still a bit concerned about the AI in this current patch as it doesn't seem to matter how good a situation you leave them, they can still find a way to get themselves into crazy debt. So I really hope your nations don't implode like that after you leave them.

Anyway, good luck with good ol' Vijy and the rest of the run.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any plans on expansion elsewhere? It really sucks that your nearest enemies have strong alliances (Believe me, in my Two Sicilies game, Milan and the Pope had 5 strong allies and I had none due to the Council of Trent really destroying the alliances with -80 relations)

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I answer in detail to some of the things you said.
As it is, I'm still a bit concerned about the AI in this current patch as it doesn't seem to matter how good a situation you leave them, they can still find a way to get themselves into crazy debt. So I really hope your nations don't implode like that after you leave them.
I spend a lot of effort into developing the economy and building properly. Also fixing estates. So I'm not overly worried for my AIs, the real issue is that their priorities are messed up and they can't start the economic snowball, but I generally set them up for that. A small tweak, especially early game, can be gamechanging.

Any plans on expansion elsewhere? It really sucks that your nearest enemies have strong alliances.
Vij is strong enough to expand somewhere. I can assure I will let them in a position that allows them to expand, even in AI's hands.

4. Vijayanagar (1504-1529)
I would not expand into Indonesia unless I control Bengal. Unless I really can't do anything in India. As it happens, there were many opportunities the AI did not take, so India it will be.

Development 44 provinces, 355 development
Income 34, 30 (+10,47 at 0 maintenance, +3,30 when drilling)
Army 28/9/5 (43 FL)
Tech 6/8/8, no Institution, Economic 4

Under my new leadership, Vijayanagar starts a complete reshuffle of its politics. We've had enough of protecting useless little Hindu states, time to unify the Hindu powers. And to find new alliances to the North instead.

xfgt6vF.png

Kolathunad is definitely the worst alliance we could have. I'd rather have Jaunpur, even if they are allied to Gujarat.

wPxBm1w.png

Oh, and Multan isn't bad either.

VTX8VLr.png

Oh, and Kalahandi is not really useful as an ally, I'd rather have them as a vassal.

zgbEh6f.png

And Andhra would look much better in yellow.

xawqNOV.png

Which makes us close enough from Orissa to have them accept vassalization.
umXRGie.png

In less than 2 years, we transformed the situation. We have 2 new vassals, including Orissa who has numerous cores. And we abandoned useless allies for a very powerful Jaunpur. I pointed out the difficulties of Vijayanagar, but I always knew we could eventually get out of that isolation. India is so dynamic and that's probably my favorite region to play in.

Jaunpur is not a rival of Bahmanis and they don't want to join for territory there, but they are a rival of Bengal and we now have a CB on Bengal thanks to Orissa. I just build up a bit and wait for my new military tech. I decide to tech up tech 9 at a very expensive cost instead of developping. I want to expand agressively, and I would like to finish Economic ideas (the AI has already filled 4 of these and they are pretty solid ideas in any situation, so I keep them) and secure my position before developping.
The real trigger is that Malwa and Delhi get into a war with Baluchistan, Gujarat and Multan, my new ally. That makes things even easier as Malwa is weakened and Delhi is unwilling to honor any Call to Arms.

s6dBnQE.png

We attack on Bengal so that we can call Jaunpur, with the Orissi cores as our CB. But we set Bahmanis as cobelligerant.

Unusually for me, I kept most of the forts. At least a line of hill/jungle at the border. They are very powerful to lock Bahmanis is bad provinces.
sUvLrwD.png

You can see how the war is pursued there. We have a main siege stack, and we outmaneuver their stacks with a strong stack of full combat width led by a 5 maneuver general.
q13wLHv.png

We can make them lose a lot of time sieging our forts and our vassals and canceling the sieges to run away/not do it and be defeated, while we secure most of their forts at very little cost.

Slowly but steadily, we overwhelm Bahmanis and we can turn our attention to the bigger picture.
x1KZvrX.png

Things aren't looking good for Jaunpur, but they aren't for Malwa either who is sieged by basically everyone in India at once. Our priority is now to eject Bahmanis of the war and to save Jaunpur.
ARtv9C4.png

We give Orissa their 2 cores in Bahmanis, we take 3 forts (one north given to our vassal, two south) and we secure a land connection to Orissa. That also removes the entire coastline of Bahmanis. They are basically dismantled.

This also gives us one of the sickets mission reward we could hope for:
3oflB2j.png

Don't mind if I do.

Time to finally rescue Jaunpur. The warscore is really bad because we ignored the wargoal so far, but the relative strength is clearly in our favor so long as Jaunpur is in that.
AxlnwFX.png

We finally manage to kick Malwa out.
5QP0M6w.png

And we can turn our attention on Bengal, finally winning this war.
13rzl6H.png

2OnkQGD.png

This wasn't the hardest war, but there was still a real possibility of losing it. Not our Kedah war vs Malacca, but still a very enjoyable and microintensive war, especially the early outmaneuvers. Our superior leadership clearly helped (that 5 maneuver saved the day).

It is time to cleanup our former ally
5RaEI59.png

This now makes India a lot more compact, and we completely shifted the balance of power. Delhi got annexed by Multan, and instantly reformed by our ally Jaunpur.
ADCUsV9.png

As you can see, the Bahmanis/Malwa/Bengal block looks a lot weaker. Gujarat has close ties with Delhi, but their land isn't the highest priority. In 12 years we have already secured a strong position, but I don't want to end it immediately. I stillt think there is a lot of work to do with the economy, the institutions, and I would like to do a second war against Bahmanis to reclaim our cores. That's still a lot of years, but we shouldn't be too much over 20 years. And if I do all of that, there won't be anything left to stop Vijayanagar.

I don't have a lot of screenshots anymore, but I assure you we spend years building workshops and destroying coastal defences. I still think the AI might rebuild them before Manufactories, but there is sadly nothing we can do to prevent that...
I also find myself a new vassal, the fourth one.
iXyiU8l.png

They do also have some cores left.

After over a decade of economical management, time to strike Bahmanis again.
1zyrNHh.png

On paper, this still isn't an easy war, but we secured enough fort to remove their strategic depth.

We quickly peace out Bengal and Malwa to focus on the main front.
8gyWXHg.png

S1Eu2UI.png

The war is messier because I deleted all of my own forts to secure the economy in the previous decade, but we aren't really challenged, just annoyingly carpetsieged by the AI until he surrenders.
POxdaKu.png

I take back all of my cores, and I secure the 2 border provinces between Delhi and Bahmanis for my vassal Jharkand. Let's make it clear for the AI than Vijayanagar will eat Bahmanis, and noone else.

We use the little time we have left to develop for institutions. We have long finished Economic ideas and we picked Influence as our second group to help with our 4 vassals. Hopefully the AI will at least get the third idea (to reduce annexation cost) before strating the integration of the vassals.
PIJQwYQ.png

8Odq2pV.png

We leave Vijayanagar in an ideal spot.

ojE1M4i.png

This looks even better if you look at it from a diplomatic perspective.
V66nvBs.png

Embracing the Renaisance and Colonialism pushed us all the way to #3 GP
6yiZSDf.png

We are fifth for now because I did not wait for the tick of the month, but we will be third once it updates. This also gives us a general idea of the world. Ming exploded and France is strong, those are the 2 main takes. Also both Muscovy and Poland successful in the same game.

We sadly aren't the first in income this time, but those statistics are sweet too:
YrYNgvz.png

Development 44 provinces, 355 development
Income 34, 30 (+10,47 at 0 maintenance, +3,30 when drilling)
Army 28/9/5 (43 FL)
Tech 6/8/8, no Institution, Economic 4

Development 59 provinces, 561 development + 168 development in vassals (it was 26)
Income 82,28 (+48,57 when drilling)
Army 44/8/20 (76 FL)
Tech 8/9/10, all institutions, Economic 7, Influence 0

That's a real satisfaction. I had high hopes as India is probably the best region in the game to quickly become strong, but I did not expect us to be that strong that quickly. The diplomatic situation really helped, we came in right when Delhi collapsed and was replaced by a better Delhi. Our economy is insane, and that makes it even more surprising that someone has more income. We pretty much caught up in tech, we developped institutions and we have an extremely powerful army that can really afford drilling. From there, I don't see how the AI potentially messes up.

We leave Vijayanagar to discover a new continent. I rolled 3 American nations in a row, but refused to play them, especially that late. So I guess it's not that hard to guess which continent it is.

It looks like Bahamanis is getting a near perfect hug :)

Reactions:
Before introducing our new nation, let's review the performance of our favorite AIs.

H3hmh0E.png

Kedah had stabilised, and they stayed exactly the same:
jaFWdjS.png

These pretender rebels shouldn't be much issue. My only concern is that they fall far behind in tech. They still have Pagarruyung and Brunei as allies, so they should still be safe from any attack. And they actually could inally attack Malacca: we saw that Ming is not in the GP list anymore and they were the main thing protecting Malacca.

j1AoRnf.png

Mali had kept on consolidating the region, and I wasn't worried despite the Pretender Rebels.
MGRdD8E.png

They finished the integration of Dahomey (RIP the best blue of the game) and they are about to finish Timbuktu too. Their tech still isn't great, and they are allied to literally all remaining powers in the region. That might be their height, especially if the Iberians start colonizing agressively.

hpcu3Sq.png

Finally, Ennarea had a strong Coptic front but no real expansion possibility. The key to their survival was placating Ethiopia until the end...
DsuSe3v.png

Well... No more Ethiopia. Only Alodia, who is decent, but Ethiopia + Funj should easily beat Alodia + Ennarea.

I'm worried for Ennarea, but Kedah finally has possibilities to expand in Malacca. Mali is predictibly strong and stable. And Vij will most likely be a strong power for the rest of the game.

This leaves us with our fifth nation. I had clearly hinted that this was in Europe, as I teased about a new continent and refused to play in the Americas this time.

4DYvvVH.png

That's an interesting one for sure.

Glad to see more people following and enjoying. I don't put a lot of text as opposed to other AARs, most of my time is spent playing to be fair. So it's nice to see people are enjoying the journey nonetheless.

Welp, for me you hit the perfect sweetspot bertween telling and showing (Ye, I am a lazy reader and love lookin' at pictures)! Great work with Viji, looking forward to Sweden. And AI-Kedah disappoints me so much :(

E: Also this concept is one of my favourite

• 1Like
Reactions:
5. Sweden (1529 - 1553)
Hello there !

Back to Sweden we go. We were a subject of Denmark, but I had not given any other information about the country. The general situation of the country is actually pretty bad:

Development 26 provinces, 146 development
Income 19,13 (+4,86) That's the real issue. The Swedish AI barely built anything, except, you guessed it, shipyards.
Army 6/1/2 (22 FL) And here we go. They have an impressive navy of 32 with one carrack and 22 galleys. But 9k men.
Tech 10/9/10, all institutions, Trade 5, Offensive 5, Admin 1

I'm definitely not convinced by Trade ideas when you basically own one node, with 2 nodes upstream. That's probably something I will abandon at one point. Apart from that, the economy is horrible, and we can not afford going to Force Limit. Our tech is great, so at least that's something.

My first move will obviously be to gain independance. Luckily, we have very valuable nations willing to help us, while Denmark is diplomatically isolated.

Acmj5Kg.png

JTtQEWn.png

That Poland has the PU over Lithuania and looks really stable for once.

6UJRIWV.png

On the other hand, Denmark has SLIGO as their only ally. An impressive choice for sure. Interestingly, they have a PU on the Palatinate who is disloyal.

Before going into war, I had a quick look at Europe because we had not seen anything yet.
VXA8zi3.png

Nothing too strange here, no power has really consolidated. Castile did not get the Iberian Wedding and Scotland still holds strong, so no GB or Spain. Poland and Muscovy are looking great, and the two of them are actually allied, which is really uncommon and explains a lot.

nbFInaT.png

The HRE is exactly what you would expect, I waited for 1.30.2 to start the run for that exact reason.

wiDQFIT.png

That's a very unsuccessful Reformation so far, but that can still change. We are firmly catholic and this is too late to get a center of Reformation, so I don't plan on changing, at least now.

Now, to the war:
TCsicSK.png

The Palatinate is willing to ally because we are both disloyal. This makes Denmark extremely scared, and something very rare happens:

2v0AJCl.png

I'm now really worried that Denmark might also abandon the union on me and waste the opportunity of an easy war, so I declare immediately.

NwZi8bS.png

7qUJEBa.png

Denmark seems to be in a very sorry state too. You'd expect a bit more men, even if they quickly recruit.

Now that we are independant, we also have a new ruler:
r1O41SZ.png

And he is a complete disaster...

During our war, Muscovy jumps on the occasion. That forces me to rush for the Norwegian provinces. I'm fine with them reclaiming Novgorodian land, but Norway is mine.
mnPc2Ay.png

ucyc1Jl.png

We quickly get an heir, and he is much better. You can see Scotland sieging Sligo and getting sieged in return. They'll win the race to the capital and we'll easily kick Sligo out.

Finally, the war is won without any real difficulty.
xPYXlgz.png

We get the really bad Norwegian land because I honestly don't want to siege it anymore and I want to deny it to Muscovy. We also give one province to Poland so that they're not annoyed: we need them as an ally. I don't take the provinces in Karelia to avoid antagonizing Muscovy. And then I mostly take money. That honestly isn't much, but I'll have time for a second more useful war.

We now set our eyes towards a new target pretty much the only one we can access:
3n8vuVF.png

The run actually starts going sour, even if there is no apparent difficulty. Just paying for our army to wage wars incurs debt, having corruption from new land makes it worse. I start realizing that Sweden is actually in a worst spot than in 1444 and instead of expanding and snowballing, we have to stabilize things. A cruel king with horrible stats and bad events don't help either. I honestly did not expect Sweden to be difficult so I also played a bit careless until I fell into a bit of a debt spiral during that war.

Anyway, we still win it without any military difficulty:
Fv0G86S.png

Where is the OPM bank of old patches when you need it :(

vboipaD.png

That's enough expansion for now. Coring with a 1 admin ruler and dealing with revolts when he is cruel and we have super low legitimacy from a new dynasty is a real pain.

Ju5g1eS.png

Meanwhile, Muscovy peaced out Denmark, took the Karelian provinces and forced them to release Norway. Good for us I guess, although Denmark and Norway quickly ally.

My intention of being peaceful is suddenly questioned when I am called to arms.
8eouXuD.png

I have absolutely 0 intention of helping poor Poland, but I'll accept the call. We need allies. By the way, this happened because Poland and Muscovy both eclipsed Denmark, and Poland thought it would be a good idea to rival their ally Muscovy instead and lose their protection against the Ottomans. Good call.

gQqCEPs.png

Strong Ottomans.

Meanwhile, we pursue diplomacy.
eMrCik0.png

Poland rivaled Muscovy, but Muscovy did not rival Poland, so they are not actually angry at us from being allied to Poland.
lcY1Ye2.png

That can be really tricky to be allied to both of them, but it gives Sweden extra security, as Poland is getting carpetsieged by the Ottomans while I completely ignore the war and sit in Stockholm at 0 maintenance.

I push being a bad ally one step further when I declare my own war in the middle of all of that:
kwdZgWG.png

There is really no challenge anymore except dodging the numerous revolts that plague Norway and Denmark. Mecklenburg even jumps on Denmark too, and they start chain bankrupting.

TUP1xyU.png

We quickly peace out Norway, and the Ottomans finally end their war:
7ccXabI.png

Sorry for not helping, Poland. I was really busy doing... stuff.

QqubRTX.png

Much better. We improved relations to prevent coalitions. We also avoided taking the Polish province that the Ottomans forced them to return to Denmark, let's stay friendly. The AI might need allies.

We now control the most valuable provinces of Scandinavia. Owning Sjaelland also allows us to sell some of our navy.

Time to take a decision I very rarely take:
u5mB32A.png

We finish coring and prevent several revolts during the next years. Meanwhile, poor Denmark bankrupts about once every year.
GrKmZV3.png

Our situation looks great on paper, with strong allies and a firm control over Scandinavia. But there are numerous weaknesses behind that. The economy still isn't great, our two main allies hate each other and we might have to make a choice (worst, the AI might have to make one, and this will probably be a bad decision). More worrying, our disaster ruler, numerous -stab events and the coring set us really far behind.
AtJozrB.png

We have the worst tech in Europe. One might question my decision to abandon almost filled Trade ideas, and one might question even more why I decided to double down on Sweden and pick Quality instead. My thought process was that the AI was stable for now so I could fall behind in military, but Sweden would need to punch above its economical weight lategame once they eventually lost one or both of their allies, and potentially went to war with Muscovy (you never know). Stacking quality is probably the best option, and that's also historical. Offensive + Quality + Swedish ideas and events can make a REALLY scary Sweden lategame if they don't collapse. But for now, that set us behind.

25gXetx.png

We clearly improved, but I'm worried this might completely collapse in AI hands. The situation is clearly not stable, and the economy still isn't looking great.

Development 26 provinces, 146 development
Income 19,13 (+4,86)
Army 6/1/2 (22 FL)
Tech 10/9/10, all institutions, Trade 5, Offensive 5, Admin 1

Development 47 provinces, 339 development
Income 25,08 (+11,70)
Army 20/4/6 (46 FL)
Tech 10/10/10, no Printing Press, Offensive 7, Admin 2, Quality 3

We gained independance and more than doubled our development, and our army is a force to be reckoned with. But our economy is still pretty bad and our tech is a disaster. I would have also liked to turn Protestant or Reformed for stronger military bonuses, but adding more instability to Sweden was out of the equation. I can't stress out enough how surprised I was by the state of Sweden (and how bad it still is). It has potential, but a single bad war and they might go down the Danish route (who bankrupted 7 times or something).

For our next nation, I must admit I had rolled a Siberian Tribe and said... nope. I could have played it but honestly did not feel like it. My second roll was a lot more interesting. And in Europe too.

Last edited:
Another good update as usual, though I fear not opposing the Ottomans now while you had the chance is going to make for a very scary enemy down the line.

However, I got very confused by this bit...
Meanwhile, Muscovy peaced out Denmark, took the Karelian provinces and forced them to release Norway. Good for us I guess, although they quickly ally.
I was confused why Denmark would be allying Muscovy. It was only later in the images that I saw Denmark was allied with Norway and the ambiguity in your sentence was resolved.

Anyway, looking forward to the next chapter. I'm hoping you get one of the colonizers ... maybe Brittany?

With Istanbul being in EU4 Europe, I hope for Ottomans :p

but being OP wouldn't mean interesting. Also I don't think you should play nations you don't want to play. This AAR is for me most fun, if you have fun playing and try to make the best of the situation the game throws you in :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Another good update as usual, though I fear not opposing the Ottomans now while you had the chance is going to make for a very scary enemy down the line.

However, I got very confused by this bit...

I was confused why Denmark would be allying Muscovy. It was only later in the images that I saw Denmark was allied with Norway and the ambiguity in your sentence was resolved.

Anyway, looking forward to the next chapter. I'm hoping you get one of the colonizers ... maybe Brittany?
Hey, I can't really do anything to oppose the Ottomans even if I wanted to. Fighting that war would have set me further behind for no gain, as we would probably have lost anyway. The Ottomans will at least be an interesting challenge down the line.

I clarified what I meant. The pronouns are always tricky.