• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm considering it...

One of my favourite features of the old Mingsplosion system is the uncertainty or sense of discovery - the interest of finding out the results of the China collapse, judging the balance of power amongst the sucessor states and working out how to get a foot in; how much of a game-changer it is when you reach Indochina and discover that the Ming are intact and will have things to say about your plans; the satisfaction of managing to trigger (or even just witnessing) a Mingsplosion and watching the greatest empire of the earth slide into chaos; the horror of having the Ming suddenly turn on you after you get big near them, and the elation of sometimes beating them in those knife-edge before-you're-ready wars.

All this is a little diminished now that I'm a better player and understand how to go about invading an intact Ming. But it's still something I like a lot and which by all accounts the with-expansion version, where the Ming are always there and you can always expand as a tributary without drawing their ire, does not have.

The problem with Ming isn't that its too powerful, but that it's so boring. It takes away a huge area of the earth with its immense bulk then does nothing at all. No blobbing, no falling apart. It's just a waste of space imo. Several times in the past I've actually purposely broken the Ming into 100 pieces and taken nothing for myself because they're so boring.

a united manchu would get crushed by the games ming any time any day. rebels are even weaker. the game fails to represent a lot of what happened in reality, but it is and should to a degree be railroaded. Ming alraedy deals with every administrative matter with thin air, ming already ressuplies its troops in south america with thin air, ming already squaches any rebellions ever with thin air. thats ahistorical. a little thing called game limitations. understanding them is key to creating an enjoyable game. Ming chilling there till the end of time isnt an element in this supposed enjoyable game.

Player Manchu would easily win, but AI Manchu will most likely fail. Which is right if Manchu was the only nation fighting against Ming. In history Manchu would not have won against Ming by itself. In fact Manchu was on the verge of financial ruin due to the Ming embargo until a united Japan invaded Korea and gave Manchu a lifeline. And Japan only gave Ming trouble because of all the other wars and revolts and disasters Ming suffered.

Any one or two of these alone is not enough to take down Ming, and the game models that part fine. The problem is that revolts aren't threatening to large nations in general, and more importantly exhausting wars rarely happen. Medium to large nations in game never declares offensive wars on Ming to destroy themselves and damage Ming somewhat, like the Shan Confederacy or Taungu Empire did historically.

Pulling things of out thin air isn't unique, it happens will all major blobs.

The problem with Ming isn't that its too powerful, but that it's so boring. It takes away a huge area of the earth with its immense bulk then does nothing at all. No blobbing, no falling apart. It's just a waste of space imo. Several times in the past I've actually purposely broken the Ming into 100 pieces and taken nothing for myself because they're so boring.

I can agree with the boring part, but what's an alternative? Ming was a very passive player relative to its size compared to other majors. Perhaps if there was an option for Ming to follow the steps of Song and trade and explore the seas, or follow Tang and expand in land westward. Though both options were what Ming specifically avoided doing.

Frankly speaking a lot of late games are like that, with either a stalemate between the majors, or one side triumphs and continue eating everyone else.

Right now it's a challenge that people will have to overcome, but once you get through the first steps it becomes trivial just like killing other majors.

Quoting this, anything is better than the status quo where you can't DoW anyone east of Persia without Ming getting involved, and if you want to actually play in that part of the world you must use the one and only true tactic of eating all the other tributaries from inside the Ming Force Field of Invulnerability before turning on them.

Even taking the Mandate for yourself is boring because it takes so many wars to eat all of Ming and the actual Mandate mechanics themselves are far too easy to handle. The thing making Ming incredibly unfun is tributaries, rather than them being the EoC.

Not the way the game's mechanics interact.

China is extremely large. Large enough that troops on multiple fronts was necessary, and the logistics of supply when interacting with steppes or Indochina were non-trivial. Ming could sustain a pretty impressive army, but it was virtually impossible for it to point-focus it like the game trivially allows, to say nothing of the occasional IRL nightmare scenario of Ming sending 60k through Tibet --> Himalayas to circle around into Burmese lands from the West or something.

The game's logistical modeling + war score setup just don't lend to historical limitations. Not in China, not for colonial powers, not even in interior Europe...so we get stuck with the balance/especially gameplay consideration. MoH being a tributary has annoyances but is nevertheless not as cancerous as getting rivaled by Ming early in the game. Having a nation bully-rival you with 3x your development and 4x your standing army pre-1550 was BS and I don't miss it. I'm not entirely happy with how the region plays out right now, but it's better than before.

The rebellion + manchu invasion coincided with famine from the little ice age right? I'm not sure how the game models the global impact of that. Having impact a fractured China the same as a unified one wouldn't make sense, but it's one of the few events where human actions in the period wouldn't reasonably influence it happening.

The same is true for any blobbed-out major ingame, so it doesn't really make sense applying it only to Ming. I think we can agree on the fact, that inside the game's overall concept and cornerstone mechanics, the current implementation is pretty decent.

a united manchu would get crushed by the games ming any time any day. rebels are even weaker. the game fails to represent a lot of what happened in reality, but it is and should to a degree be railroaded. Ming alraedy deals with every administrative matter with thin air, ming already ressuplies its troops in south america with thin air, ming already squaches any rebellions ever with thin air. thats ahistorical. a little thing called game limitations. understanding them is key to creating an enjoyable game. Ming chilling there till the end of time isnt an element in this supposed enjoyable game.

Again, its the same that every major in this game does. Ming is just chilling there, because inside the current mechanics, the Europeans need to have a good degree of cooperation to ever put a dent in Ming's army and economy, which is pretty historic. The case of AI being unable of such a high-level cooperation is a different matter entirely. If it would ever be made to repeat what the Europeans did with QIng/China historically, then i am all up for it. The case is not about nerfing Ming, its about buffing those who are supposed to hurt it.

Again, its the same that every major in this game does. Ming is just chilling there, because inside the current mechanics, the Europeans need to have a good degree of cooperation to ever put a dent in Ming's army and economy, which is pretty historic. The case of AI being unable of such a high-level cooperation is a different matter entirely. If it would ever be made to repeat what the Europeans did with QIng/China historically, then i am all up for it. The case is not about nerfing Ming, its about buffing those who are supposed to hurt it.
A good degree of cooperation? Qing didn't manage to beat Europeans when outnumbering them 10-1. Qing isn't Ming however I fail to see how this would have made much difference. At the later parts of the timeline china might as well be fighting aliens. This is not modeled in any way. All majors are way too stable but the other majors actually have competition. The ottomans need to overcome Austria and the Mamelukes and England needs to overcome France. What is Ming in danger from? Historically accurate revolts? Coalition of foes? European superpowers that end up doing nothing ? Hordes that can't even defeat Korea? Ryuku? None of them ( except maybe ryuku ) ever does anything against Ming. The game is modeled after its own rules not the historical ones so AI not beeing even remotely able to do something is a good indicator that it needs changing. Ming wasn't an invincible superpower, it had problems it needed to overcome and that is simply not in game when it gets unlimited money infuriatingly large amounts of troops and virtually no technological penalty without even having to work for it.

You could also turn off Mandate of Heaven.
You shouldn't be forced to turn off a DLC just to play in a different region. That's not how the game's design process has normally worked and it certainly shouldn't now.

It seems to me like Ming has gotten lots of rich flavour but no real depth to how to tackle it. It's absurd how you need to become a tributary just to work against them. Ming is overly strong, but that might change next patch.

I really fear that PDX keeps Ming too OP in MoH cause they are afraid to angry new chinesse player base.
Which is funny because OP Ming makes Ming un-fun to play. There's no sense of accomplishment even compared to playing as France or the Ottomans. I can only play philanthropist Ming now if I want fun, by making my TRIBUTARIES great instead of myself.

Financial overhaul and internal politics are the only way I can imagine fixing OP blobbers without being culturally exclusive. Every nation has a reason to stay or fall, and that reason being depicted as a game mechanic is better than scripted events and handicaps. Though the 1556 Shaanxi Earthquake needs to be a scripted event.

A good degree of cooperation? Qing didn't manage to beat Europeans when outnumbering them 10-1.
I can't see what you mean, the Europeans respected China all the way until Japan beat them. Even during that war most European observers were certain that China would destroy Japan. And Qing did beat Russia within the game's timeframe.
But I do agree that China should in most cases fall behind. One of the biggest problems for both Ming and Qing was weak taxation.

Ming had a manpower of million troops. Most of Asian states were their tributaries. They had big treasure fleets that sailed to India, Persia, Aden, etc. Their seafarers even passed the Cape of Good Hope before Europeans did. They were also not that far behind technologically. Yet they are perfectly defeatable in the first 20 years of game. If you are playing with united Manchus, you don't even need allies. If you play with someone else, you just need to build up a good alliance, tech up and strike them at the right time. Let's not forget that they sit at 0 manpower for a good portion of early game. They are really not that tough of a customer, like say, the Ottomans.

I can't see what you mean, the Europeans respected China all the way until Japan beat them. Even during that war most European observers were certain that China would destroy Japan. And Qing did beat Russia within the game's timeframe.
But I do agree that China should in most cases fall behind. One of the biggest problems for both Ming and Qing was weak taxation.
Well Japan kinda destroyed china in the war. Not sure if the observers were that wrong though it wouldn't be the only time. Russia did face some other problems on the war, one of them was beeing one of the most backward states in Europe.

once i have over 40 cannons, i prefer to chain wars vs ming attacking their tributaries, so always leave 5 or 6 alive!

Yet they are perfectly defeatable in the first 20 years of game. If you are playing with united Manchus, you don't even need allies. If you play with someone else, you just need to build up a good alliance, tech up and strike them at the right time.

They're perfectly defeatable for the player, sure, but it's well established that the player can do more or less whatever they damn well please. The player being able to deal with a situation is not a good argument for its being balanced appropriately.

They're perfectly defeatable for the player, sure, but it's well established that the player can do more or less whatever they damn well please. The player being able to deal with a situation is not a good argument for its being balanced appropriately.

I know. I'm not arguing that the hordes are weak. Northern frontier tribes really could use a general buff.
  • Jianzhou is the most powerful Jurchen tribe. It cannot be paralleled by Haixi and especially Yeren, yet they are exposed very early by Korea. AI Korea never hesitates to declare, and Jianzhou, the first, the last, and the only hope of Manchu, gets forever lost to the ever steady Korea. Buff Jianzhou so they are not the easy insta-target for Korea.
  • Mongolians could also get some buffs as well. They defeated a 200 000 strong Ming expedition with as much as 20 000 men (they didn't engage with the entire manpower in a single battle, though) in 1449. I know the game cannot replicate these kinds of events, and the hordes already have some powerful military bonuses, but Mongolian tribes could also get some love. Buff Mongolia and the Four Oirats.
  • Other tributaries are fine as they are IMO. Ayutthaya is especially underrated.
In my opinion, Ming shouldn't be nerfed, but the northern tribes need to be buffed in order to pose a larger challenge to Ming, as they always were.

My main concern, however, is this: With the next expansion being focused at army professionalism, and Ming being one of the few nations that can always keep maintenance up, they will end up having some of the best troops, while the tribes, who are reliant on low maintenance during peace time, won't match their armies in quality. I sincerely hope there is something i am missing, but the whole army drilling and professionalism thing is quite scary to me.

Them's some well-reasoned points and to some extent I agree. I'm worried though about the extent to which buffing the traditional enemy of OP thing, then buffing their enemies, and so on and so on, is a classic formula for power creep, which imho there is already too much of. I share your worries about professionalism (and if I remember rightly there's also going to be supply depos which most likely will further add to the Ming's unrealistic ability to march massive armies on long extended campaigns in the steppe and the Tarim basin).

Something to better simulate the Oirat ability to raid and hit and run would be nice, but the Yongle emperor thrashed the Oirats in most pitched battles. What I'd like to see would be better representation of the logicial difficulties and taxation problems that prevented Ming total war in central Asia. The Ming didn't use a tributary system because it was efficient - they used it because occupying and holding on to that remote land themselves wasn't realistically in their power; and something in the game ought to reflect that.