• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(115311)

4chan is so mature today
4 Badges
Sep 20, 2008
www.facebook.com
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
Since Valky is down, the only ways of online multiplayer is either direct IP of LAN via hamachi. This way is kind of both, direct IP with the Hamachi IP. When I have tried to play with a few people, we haven't get the game working in LAN by hamachi, so we use direct IP, but put the hamachi IP there.

The purpose of this guide is to help you with installing Hamachi and showing you how to join a game. Notice that I assume that your port forwarding is in order, I'm not going to handle that complicated issue here.

These are REALLY easy instructions for a 5-year-old child, so hopefully they should be clear enough. PM me if you need any help.

Untitled-2-3.gif

http://www.download.fi/verkko_ohjelmat/muut_verkko-ohjelmat/hamachi.cfm
Download Hamachi from here or some other site if you prefer. (The page is Finnish, sorry among my first Google results, but Hamachi is completely English, so no prob).

Untitled-1-4.gif

Yea, dl...

Untitled-1-2.gif

1. Run the installation

2. Start Hamachi

3. Select create or join networks

4. Select Join an existing network

5a. Network name in this example is HoI Storm501 and password lol. Write it exactly like that, capital letters matter!

5b. If you want to create your own network, then type the desired name and password there and remember to tell them to your fellow players. The name must be unique, so you might have to try a few times.

6. And that should do it. (You don't see yourself in the network btw).

Untitled-1-3.gif

As for joining the game itself... Start your HoI, go to multi and then select internet.

Untitled-2-2.gif

Then enter the host's, in this case my Hamachi IP there. 5.153.131.22
It always stays the same, so no prob. You can always check it from the hamachi too.

If you are creating a game, then just select host and remember to inform the others that the game is up. :)

Last edited:
Yes, now we come to the complex area of port forwarding...

We had to open the three port ranges (2300-2400, 28800-29000, 47400-47700) in the router settings. If you are using a firewall, then you have to do that in the firewall settings. But before that we didn't get the game working on LAN or by direct IP. So I guess that's all what we did, took a lot of time to get it working, so at least you're fortunate that your direct IP is ok. ;)
Unlike with most games, hamachi alone doesn't always work with HoI. So go to your firewall/router settings and open those port ranges. Your friend should do the same. It isn't easy and might not always work, but I had to do that too. Good luck! ;)

Some more info here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187623

I can't recommend it for over 10-player games, then you might face a lot of rehosts. People dropped out of the game like flies every 30 min.

But with a smaller group it works great! :)

I've done this ever since I got Doomsday in 2006, because Valky never worked for me. If anyone is looking for HoI2 MP games, please add me into any of the programs listed in my signature (preferably MSN or Xfire), cheers!

Offtopic: I joined that "HoI Storm501" server. Seems there are quite a few people there that I know. Is that "Teemu" guy from the Finnish HoI forums? If so, I have in in my MSN too.

P.S. Wasn't hard to guess the PW. ;)

If anyone is looking for HoI2 MP games, please add me into any of the programs listed in my signature (preferably MSN or Xfire), cheers!
Done, cheers! :D

It says the network is full :(
The network has a 15 player limit. Since so many ppl are testing this, it gets full pretty easily. So I believe that your hamachi works ok. ;)

Hamachi

I'm trying to get a game up and running over the net but I'm struggling.

When I took my laptop to my friends, we downloaded the Hamachi, opened it up and then with the HOI game he started a LAN game and away we went.

But when I got home we couldnt do it again, so I am thinking that somehow because my laptop was using his wifi router it really was a LAN and not using Hamachi at all.

Now I have found that using Hamachi I can find the network "HoI Storm501" and its full of 15 buddies, etc, but I can't find my friends network and he cant find mine.

Neither of us use firewall ( as it interferes with other games such as WOW ) and it seems weird that I can find toher Hamachi networks but not his.

Any suggestions ... please let me know.

Hmm, if you don't use a firewall, might you be behind a router?

Also if you both can find my network, I guess I could kick some ppl out, so you could at least try with it if you don't get your's working.

Sorry for the late reply, but this thread rarely gets posts, so... ;)

Testing Hamachi

Trying to test out hamachi here just to make sure it was working. So I tried to connect to your network given but was given the network full error.

Is there a time when your network is generally not full so I can test that I can indeed run hamachi?

Trying to test out hamachi here just to make sure it was working. So I tried to connect to your network given but was given the network full error.

Is there a time when your network is generally not full so I can test that I can indeed run hamachi?
Once again, sorry for the late reply, but just got back home from the UK.

The network gets full pretty fast and there isn't much I can do to keep it empty (I won't check all the time that there is space).

But ok, I will clear it up now, so it should have space for a few months now. So try again. ;)

Hi guys. Anyone has any info on how to decrease lag when playing with hamachi? It is a big problem, since the game lags so horribly, that some players can't even order their units around, also desync skyrockets. Even on lowest speed.
AFAIK it could be due to my net connection being bad.

Nope, haven't heard of any way to decrease it myself. The only downside of Hamachi are it's limits. :(

I would say that in HoI2, Hamachi starts to lag you if you have over 5 players or so. EUIII might work ok with 2-3 and Vicky might even have problems with 2 players. In HoI3 ofc, Hamachi can be really slow, even with 2 guys.

You're welcome. Seems that the network is full again, so cleaned it up. So if anyone wants to test his Hamachi on that network again, you have maybe 1-2 months before it gets full again! :rofl:

I had ping problems, like hours passing slowly - fast - stop,etc, army that starts to move after 30 seconds of my order.

Is this a problem with the host, something i can fix in hamachi or a common problem?

Well I've heard about the usual lag problems and I could say they are fairly common. However if your armies start to move 30 secs after you give them the order, that's the worst case I've ever heard! :(

Personally I've hosted HoI games with Hamachi and the limit of players for me before lagging is about 5. If I host with direct IP, it's around 15. So Hamachi might be only able to handle about 1/3 of the players/data than direct IP. Sure, for some people it could lag already with 2 players.

So unfortunately there isn't really a magic trick to fix it all the sudden... Shut off all the extra programs on your comp, you won't need during the game. Keep the ingame speed relatively slow (below normal, normal and above normal are the usual speeds for MP) Maybe open the HoI ports and switch to direct IP if you can. Or just get a better connection! :D

Also if people playing the MP are living all over the world, like New Zealand, Europe and South America, that makes smooth playing hard as well. So the further apart the players are from each other, the laggier it gets.

Last edited: