• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zimmeme

Private
25 Badges
Aug 16, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Independence of the Cossack people
(Death and Taxes AAR)

0703221027_tryzub.jpg

Hello readers, I would like to inform you about this AAR before I begin the actual story. This is using the Death and Taxes mod. I shall be playing Ukraine in this AAR and I released it in the year 1569, I played a year so I could get the map to my standards like selling some provinces to Poland, ending some wars that I was dragged into and creating some realistic allies. I only did this so it would be a bit more balanced and so when releasing Ukraine from Poland it isn't too large. I will have a set of goals that I shall list shortly but my AAR will be slightly different than the rest.

Here are the goals I wish to achieve with my AAR and what my country will essentially be moving towards.
1. Able to protect my borders from the Polish and Crimean Tartars
2. Conquer Crimea
3. Survive the Ottomans and Austrians
4. Become the protector of the Orthodox faith
5. Conquer steps for my Cossacks to be free
6. (Will probably not achieve) Conquer Constantinople in the name of Orthodoxy

As you can see my goals aren't big like, conquering the world or, uniting Eastern Europe under one. I'm going for a much more realistic game that could make historical sense. But, the thing that differs this AAR from the rest is I will have screenshots for my battles from a game called, Cossacks: The Art of War, This is a great game about war in the 1600s too the 1800s. I will create battle scenarios for each battle I actually have just for you viewers! Now lets get some rules down.

House Rules:
1. No cheating in any form
2. The actions I make will be based on the leader (Example: He hates Russia but supporting them is important, since the leader hates them I would decline their call to war)
3. If I lose, that is the end of the AAR
4. I will attempt missions but they are not my goal
5. Realistic conquests, if I can take 5 provinces I'll take 1 or 2
6. My Infamy limit shall be 10 for the whole game I will not go over
7. No Inflation (Hate it) Also Lucky Nations are set to random, everything else is default

I will always accept suggestions if you have them. Thanks for reading this, I hope you enjoy my first AAR!

Prologue: Kievan Rus​

map30c_rus.gif

Europe 1050 AD​

It is the middle of the Dark Ages and Vikings are invading Europe, some of those move down the rivers into Russia and Kiev, They settle Novgorod, and Kiev. These people intermarry with the locals and establish something known as the Kievan Rus. Kiev was the controlling city that demanded tribute from all the other states such as Novgorod, Pskov, Polotsk, Murom. These people are the Russians and Ruthenians. The Rus could not establish trade on the black sea other than a small town due to the constant tribal peoples harassing them. Then Vladimir, leader of the Rus at one point sent men too all the nearby religions, he did not like the Muslims since they could not drink vodka and eat pork. The Catholics had ugly churches so Vladimir rejected them as well. The Churches of the Byzantine Orthodox where beautiful and the religion was one of culture so Vladimir went with it creating the Russian orthodox in Eastern Europe. one hundred years later due to internal problems Kiev lost power and other things continued to push from the east. A threat that would unite Russia.

map30d_rus.gif

Europe 1250 AD​

The Golden Horde conquered much of the Russians but the principality of Moskva was still able to rule itself with tribute. Novgorod, to the north remained free. Kiev was conquered by the Lithuanians and parts by Poland. Moskva and the Principalities untied and drove the Tartars back and united under Russia. Russia faced threats to the south with the Ottomans and the West with Poland and Lithuania. The Teutonic's and the settled Vikings also posed a threat to Russia in the North West. Kiev and the Kievan people where under Polish and Lithuanian rule and where used in the army.

poland_lithuania_1490.png

Poland 1400s​

The Polish and Lithuanian Union began pushing into the lands of the Kievan Rus. They fought the Hordes of the Mongols and they took the lands of the Ruthenian people. The Kievan people where oppressed by the Polish and Lithuanian nobles and used in their army to fight their Russian brethren. Many people fled to the hills and lived their lives on horseback in small villages. These Ruthenians who moved to the hills and lived nomadic lives where called "Cossacks" Some of them lived in the separate state of Zaporozhye, but not Ukraine. After the combination of Poland Lithuania during the war with Russia, the people of Ukraine saw it as time to fight for their freedom. After a few months they gained Independence from the Polish and now they look to form their own free state.

Last edited:
It would be interesting if you could take control of the Ukrainian rebellion of 1648. Nevertheless, good luck to you.

Ah, those proud Zaporozhye Cossacks! I wish you luck, you'll need it. Go now, and free your Russian brothers! Also, I would like to recommend you the movie called Taras Bulba, it's about Cossacks, their bravery and fight with the Polish in 16th century, just to get you in the mood for this AAR (imdb).

Chapter 1: The fight for Freedom

Chapter 1: The fight for Freedom

Part 1: The Beginning
The fight began when Oleksander, and his steppe brothers, came to a local village constantly raided by the Crimean tartars. When he arrived at the village a group of Polish Nobles where there forcing taxes and wheat that was just lost from the recent raid on the village. Oleksander grew tired of this constant harassment from the Crimean Tartars and the Nobles constantly wanting the resources for the so called "protection". Oleksander was seen as a outlawed warlord, like many of his Cossack Brethren. The Nobles came with guns and spear men, they where forcing the people to give up their hard worked labor yields. The Village Chief had to accept else he's be killed and his village would suffer as-well.

screen4.png

Polish Soldiers in orange lined up at the village

screen5.png

Polish Soldiers in orange collecting taxes from the Ukrainians in Teal​

Oleksander would no longer stand for the Polish atrocities, He ordered his Cossacks to charge the Polish soldiers. Among them was the son of the prince who ruled over the lands of Kiev. Oleksander had no idea of this and commanded his Cossacks to open fire and cut down the Polish, the Villagers saw the event and all together the people cried out, Za Svobodu! With a new fire built into the people with the thought of freedom, the villagers took their weapons and began to fight the Polish. Oleksanders squadron charged straight into the pikes knowing they'd win with the power of a whole people behind them.

screen6.png

The army of Cossack, Oleksander, in teal

screen7.png

Oleksanders troops in Teal attacking the Orange Polish soldiers

screen10.png

The victory of Oleksanders forces in Teal against the Polish in Orange​

Oleksander, on his horse, yelled orders and words of inspiration as the Ukrainian people killed the Polish tax collectors. He yelled, "We fight for the people of the Steppes, this land is ours and not under the Polish king! We shall fight till the steppes can command themselves and fight the Polish and Crimean Tartars without the death of the people. As one we unite, for freedom, for the Steppes, and most of all, for Ukraine!"

screen11.png

The villagers in Teal fighting against the Polish in Orange

screen12.png

Chieftain of the village in teal, looking over the carnage​

The last of the Polish where killed, including the noble son of the Provence of Kiev. As the people searched the bodies for their old possessions, they came upon the noble. His body contained a document with his fathers signature, Oleksander recognized it immediately. He went to his tent and sat down, pondering what he had just started. This wasn't going to be a small rebellion, or raid, this was the fate of Ukraine, either the Polish would kill thousands or the Ukrainians would gain freedom. Oleksander knew that many Cossacks were off fighting Russia to the North-East, he would have to ride around the lands uniting the people to fight against as one. Not as many revolts but as one organized blow.

Part 2: Angry Nobles

The Village hung the body of the dead noble son on a tree near the village as a sign to any Polish man who would want to visit. After two months Oleksander had left uniting the farther tribes south in the Steppes near Crimea. The Ukrainians who united elected a temporary Chief known as, Kuzminov. The New Chief, Kuzminov, took control of the current situation and got constant word from the Polish Nobles about a missing son, Kuzminov constantly replied with, "We have no news of him". The second Month the Noble had sent for a party to check the tax villages and they found the body of his son and brought it back for burial. Kuzminov knew that they would send an army soon and organized a force that could fight them off, and trained them. Kuzminov also sent word to Oleksander to return with force since the Polish found out a rebellion might soon arise. Oleksander had also sent messengers to the front with Russia to get Russian aid, and Ukrainians to pull out of the Polish war.

screen16.png

Ukrainian farmers in teal

screen17.png

Southern farms of the Ukrainian villagers in Teal​

The Polish got word of the main village of the Ukrainians who caused this murder and sent over an army to kill those responsible. The Polish army marched to the nearby villages, burning them, raping the women, and killing all able men. They took the boys as prisoners who would later fight their wars. Kuzminov quickly managed to get the remaining villages to send supplies and their warriors to the next village that would be raised. Kuzminov gathered the army there preparing for the Polish arrival. He had set up the Cossacks to ride on their guns while the Ukrainian ground Infantry fired upon their spear men. After a week of preparation, the Polish army was sighted and Kuzminov got the men into position to fight the coming Poles.

screen14.png

The Polish army from Kiev advancing on the village, in Orange

screen15.png

The army of Ukraine under the command of Kuzminov in Teal​

Kuzminov would not wait for the Polish reinforcements to arrive with their cannons. He set up his cavalry to charge and the Infantry to support them. He wanted to destroy their main force and ambush the reinforcements with Cavalry and take control of the Cannons which they could use in a siege. Kuzminov quickly ordered the Cavalry charge against the Polish with the Infantry moving into Range from behind. The Cavalry took massive casualties from the Musket men behind the Polish lines, but the superior molar and luck of the draw the Ukrainians defeated their spear men and the cavalry ran down the rest of the Musketeers.

screen0.png

Kuzminov's Ukrainians in teal attacking the Polish in orange

screen1.png

Cavalry victory of the Ukrainians in Teal

screen3.png

The advance of Kuzminovs men in Teal against the Polish in Orange

screen5.png

Ukrainian Cavalry victory over the Polish in Orange​

With the Polish army defeated, Kuzminov fell upon the reinforcements and managed in capturing all their supplies and 10 cannons. The supplies were distributed to those people of Ukraine that lost land or family when the Polish came to burn the lands. Kuzminov kept half the supplies for his growing army, Ukraine also gained word that Oleksander would be returning with 2000 Russians, and 5000 Ukrainian Cossacks. Kuzminov was also promoted to the General of Ukraine by Oleksander, when he got word of the great achievement against the Polish army from Kiev. Poland also got word of their horrible defeat, they could not deal with this problem and called for aid from the capital area of Poland. Poland accepted their offer and recognized the revolution in Ukraine as one of great importance, they sent an army of 10,000 to calm the area.

Part 3: Siege of Kiev

Oleksander arrived back in the Ukrainian homeland steppes with his army, 6000 Cossacks ready to fight and 2000 Russian Supporters. Oleksander knew it was time to move onto Kiev with the cannons they captured and take their capital back. Oleksander launched the campaign and split his troops into two groups. Kuzminov commanded The forces that would attack from the north and Oleksander took the forces that would attack from the West. The Russians would pop up from the South and the city would be easily captured because of the 3-way siege. The forces of Ukraine moved towards Kiev, gaining support on their way. The word had spread through out Ukraine that freedom would dawn and now was the day to fight. Ukrainian men, and children would ride with the army and some joined the fight. The people had united under Oleksander and Kuzminov. Even if the siege failed Ukraine was united, the only country that acknowledged Ukraine was the Russian Empire. When Kiev fell into Ukrainian control they would be recognized world wide, the Ukrainian steppes would be a free lands.

Oleksander and his army arrived 2 weeks later. They camped for 1 week as they waited for the Russian and Kuzminov troops to arrive. Oleksander looked to a quick victory with bombardment of the walls then a cavalry rush to kill the musketeer defenders and then have the Footmen come in and capture the city. The Siege started, Cannons from three locations began firing on the walls, The Polish within knew death was coming at they would have to hold for half a year before the Polish reinforcements from the North arrived to kill the Ukrainians. One week later the walls fell and the Ukrainian and Russian forces swept into the city killing Polish soldiers and looting the buildings. Oleksander ordered there to be no rape and for there to be no killing of women and children. Kiev was liberated and the Polish kicked out. Ukraine was now it's own nation, the recognition from the other states would come soon, but the Polish army was still marching South.

screen2.png

Russian soldiers advancing on polish Kiev, in Red

screen6.png

Oleksanders Southern army in Teal

screen7.png

Kuzminovs Northern army in Teal advancing on the Polish city

screen11.png

The siege of the Polish walls by Ukrainians in Teal

screen16.png

Ukrainian troops in Teal attacking the capital of Kiev

screen17.png

Ukrainian forces killing the last of Polish resistance on orange​

Oleksander knew the Polish army marching south would be a big problem, He knew of now way to deal with it at the moment. He hoped that it would lay siege to Kiev and they could hold out and make them give up. He thought of many ways his army could somehow manage to bring it down but all the chances seemed very slim, he knew the time was coming and he continued to drill the Cossacks but he needed another way to deal with the Poles. No more support from Russia could be appointed since the Poles had pressed the borders harder than before. Oleksander had nothing until Kuzminov came to him.

"Oleksander I know what I must do to save Ukraine and the people."
"What is it Kuzminov, a military maneuver, some kind of grand plan?"
"You may not like it, I shall take a fraction of the cavalry and we shall take the gunpowder of the cannons. We shall advance upon the Polish army and light the gunpowder as we approach. We can do this near a plateau so the rocks and the explosives shall kill the Polish army and damage it so much our main force shall be larger."
"Kuzminov, you're crazy! You will die and I need you, The general of Ukraine cannot die like this, send one of the officers."
"That will not be possible, the plan will take coordinated precision and if there is a minor mistake it won't work. I must do since I am the only one with enough skill to see it through."
"Then let it be, You shall die a hero Kuzminov, one that gave Ukraine its freedom. Let us drink one last time."
"Too what shall we drink?"
"For Ukraine, Nasha Rodina."

Kuzminov left with his squad to destroy the Polish army. Kuzminov made freedom possibility, he had pulled it off. Half the Polish army died in the attack and the rest fled back home. Word reached the borders of Poland and Russia as well, they lost moral and Russia pushed them back. Oleksander and Ivan IV met with the Polish king and Russia said they would end the war if Poland recognized Ukraine as its own state. Poland accepted since they could not afford to get pushed back any farther on the border. Ukraine was know free, the people where their own and they began to create their own government and protecting their borders. Oleksander had won, but he lost his brethren, Family and a great general to the Poles. Oleksander could never forgive them but he could live with them as long as their nosy nobles came into Ukraine no longer.

Last edited:
Chapter 2: The Flames of Independence

Part 1: Oleksander and his Court

Oleksander I Chelyadnin became the leader and high chief of the people of Ukraine, He had united the people during the rebellion but now he had to act upon the infrastructure of his nation. He quickly set up a Tribal form of government that ruled in the steppes prior but with Polish intervention. He also set up a court of magistrates that would put affairs of the state and economy into matter. Oleksander knew government took many places upon the nation but he had no understanding of economics or trade. He hired, Andrey Kurbsky to take control of government funding so it would be much more efficient with Oleksanders knowledge of the topic. Ivan Fedorov was hired as well to take part in the trade of the state. He would train merchants and set up a guild so their efficiency and their competition tactics where purified and much more precise. Both these men where born in Ukraine and offered their services willingly, and with a very cheap fee. Another man was hired, Krystian Wielopolski, A Polish merchant who received many problems from the local population that hated the Polish. Oleksander needed him for the trade and had a grand assembly in the ruins of Kiev, that where being rebuilt, and gave him the Cossacks word. This assembly was very important and the people understood that Oleksander respected the man and so should they. The Government was slowly forming and Oleksander was at the head of it. Many Ukrainians began to settle back into Urban life as well and many Cossacks decided to join the army so they could fight for their families, and their free state. Oleksander also received tasks the Magistrates offered they should do, in the name of Ukraine. The Court heavily believed they should create an army that could protect them in case of war.

EU3_1.png
EU3_2.png
EU3_7.png

The Issue with trade was quite large since the Ukrainian people still traded in the Polish city of Danzig. It was essential for their trade and economy to have the trade be centered in Danzig. This also had many problems, such as the Polish aggression towards the Ukrainian merchants and the fact that many merchants could be killed on the roads to Danzig. Oleksander knew little about trade but he knew he would want to get the Russians to allow them to trade in Novgorod, for safety and for a separation from Poland.

EU3_3.png

Oleksander now focused on the allies and the factors that would help them survive a war with some outside enormous power, such as the Ottomans or Austrians. Oleksander sent his daughter to get married to one of the princes of the Swedish Kingdom. The Swedes came back with a wonderful response. The marriage had been accepted and Ukraine now had the potential for a great ally to the North. Marriages with Russia where already planned, and an alliance from the rebellion war. There was also the Cossacks under the jurisdiction of the Polish state Zaporozhye which Oleksander had plans to take control of, for the people of Ukraine. Then on the 10th of February 1570, Russia offered Ukraine Vassalization. Ukraine was outraged since they had recently just been freed from Polish rule and where now asked to be subjugated! Oleksander was furious and after a few days he calmed down, but the offer had struck a small rift between Russia and Ukraine.

EU3_4.png
EU3_5.png

Hmm ... that's an interesting crossover you've created, and I'm a sucker for crossovers with other games. The choice of nation and start date are also very uncommon. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do.

However, I think you should provide a short description of what exactly is going on in the screenshots from Cossacks, like explaining which nation each of the coloured little men represents. Since not everyone is going to be familiar with the game, there aren't that many people who will understand what's happening in the tiny little screenshots. In addition, you should probably increase the size of your screenshots as they're generally too small to see clearly.

Chapter 2: The Flames of Independence

Part 2: The Zaporozhye War

Oleksander knew Ukraine was still not a large enough nation to protect against possible invasions or conquest from their neighbors. Ukraine was not a stand alone nation, without Russia it would easily fall without a doubt. Oleksander needed to Ukraine to take the lands of all the Cossacks, such as Zaporozhye Cossacks. The people of Zaporozhye supported Ukraine but the leader, Khan Vishnevetsky, Was a supporter of the Polish. Ukraine was in between Zaporozhye and Poland so they could easily take control before Poland got word. Oleksander knew he needed the land, manpower, and wealth of the surroundings. Zaporozhye would be a small start and so with the support of Ukraine Oleksander declared war on Zaporozhye declaring it a Tribal Feud. The 7000 strong army of Ukraine came against the 4000 strong army of Polish supporters in Zaporozhye. Oleksander took personal control of the fight, leading his men once again.

EU3_10.png

EU3_12.png

EU3_11.png

Oleksander led his troops onto the Zaporozhye forces, With the advantage of numbers and the faith of Ukraine running free with the Ukrainian soldiers they easily beat the Polish supporter forces. Oleksander began to lay siege to the one city of the lands. During the siege word got to Poland but they completely ignored the matter due to Austria taking almost full control of Poland during a great war. Poland was losing greatly and couldn't afford sending help to the Zaporozhye, They essentially let Oleksander win. Luck was on the side of Ukraine. Oleksander had won over the people of Zaporozhye and he had removed Polish control from the region, the people happily agreed to his annexation. The Cossacks of Zaporozhye where given full privileges and treated with respect.

screen0.png

Ukraine in Teal standing off against the Zaporozhye in Black

screen1.png

Ukraine leading the cavalry charge against the Zaporozhye army in Black

screen2.png

Ukrainian troops in Teal defeating the cavalry of Zaporozhye in Black, taking a charge towards the infantry

screen4.png

Ukrainian troops in Teal defeating the armies of Zaporozhye

EU3_15.png
EU3_14.png

EU3_20.png
EU3_21.png