• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe the courtier was a vassal of one of your vassals? No clue what happened there.

No, he was 100% my courtier and my commander, still with highest military skill although no organizer/engineer trait. And I called Slavonia daughter and married her to him. Now that I think of it, something similar may have happened to me once, in Byz game with some french courtier. Could also be a bug that was solved in later patches. Commander was probably starred, you know, special interest, and that's why I got those notifications. Still that doesn't explain ending as my vassal, but it is probably for his own good. I am not sure how would king Mihajlo react if one of his trusted commanders, to whom Mihajlo promised that his claims will be pressed as reward for his loyalty, would then simply get those claims on his own and declare himself as independent ruler. No, I am totally not sure how Mihajlo would react to that.

So, in a couple of weeks council was ready. I got rid of both ungrateful sons. I found one Cuman with military 20 that likes me and wants to sell me favors for 80, which is acceptable. He is unlanded so might even be possible to retrieve the money in future (yes, yes, but it is Mihajlo that thinks like that, not me, I swear). After holy war to Pecheneg Kahante, I actually got Pecheneg Orthodox vassal duke of Wallachia. Curious thing is that he has one province in duchy of Pecheneg/Moldavia, not in Wallachia. I guess leftovers from early Kahante. Anyway, he is spymaster that accepts a favor for a favor. Plan is to revoke his duchy later so he doesn't bother me with that favor. He is valid target for plotting a revoke. I also got my nephew with a favor for a favor who rules in county in de jure Wallachia, and I hope with same duchy movement to get rid of his favor, by making my uncle (or his descendants) duke of Wallachia.
ck2_10.jpg
Armies in Ireland are ready to attack west. That is why war with Mumu is still active. Because Mumu duke owns one county and has one vassal count, who fabricated claim to Laigin, county west of him. So we will attack two counts, and then break betrothal with Airgalla to get that county as well. After the war is declared, Amalfi will become tributary using levies. Battles are easy, naturally. However, before the siege is over, Amalfi already calculated it is cheaper to accept defeat right away. His request is reject, as siege of Amalfi is quick and resulted in 30 coins or so. Only then did Amalfi received the honor of becoming tributary to Duklja. I mean, Serbian kingdom.... I need Dioclean empire, this Serbia coat of arms is from the later Byz influenced dynasty and is totally not fitting.
ck2_12.jpg ck2_13.jpg ck2_14.jpg ck2_15.jpg

1082 was finished, it was January 1083 when, after seeing how easy it was to get Amalfi's money, king Mihajlo naturally felt cocky. And his eyes fell on now independent city of Ancona. Similar tactics, except an event fires:
ck2_16.jpg
What? Me? That's what you get when you try to be liked, had empowered council and other BS like that. I should have just kicked everyone around.
Brittany was also finished, and allies were moving south to Portugal. How nice to see them all together like that :)
ck2_17.jpg
And by the end of 1083, it was time to complete Irish campaign. However it ended without the last planned conquest.
ck2_18.jpg
So, the game clearly stated with break of betrothal, NAP will also be broken, as expected. However, I was not able to declare the war. There was one condition not met, and that is not to have NAP with the target. I checked in both my and that count's list, we don't have a NAP. I checked all his relatives. I don't get it... but whatever, perhaps Mihajlo's descendants will be more interested in Ireland. For now it was enough, all armies in Tyrone, assault and board into ships. It was end of 1083 and of Mihajlo's interest in far west. Dioclean presence was now in both Ireland and Wales, exactly like history have always been hinting at.

Troops landed into Portugal, but not into target duchy, because two north counties were owned by the king and have been recently captured, so defenses were weak and it had 2 cities, so 4 holding easy to siege and get some money. Allies finally completed that county of Oleshye at Black Sea, which happened to have 2 castles and temple, so no city. I checked who is a lucky new temple owner and found my duke in Wales had a engineer in court. No piety gain as he is Catholic, but does someone nicknamed "the Lewd" really care about piety, I mean really really? And then in 1084, less than two months in power of Tyrone, new count already flipped the people.
ck2_19.jpg ck2_20.jpg
With 3 siege commanders and you being a king, life is good. Except for those ungrateful kids, as always:
ck2_21.jpg
So, king Mihajlo almost overreacted... until he reminded himself that his definitely-never-to-be-landed ex-spymaster son is married to a French princess. Oh well, all for the good of the realm...

Anyway, we will see what to do after Portugal war is done. Meanwhile, let me introduce you to my just-turned-a-man grandson, future king (if everything goes right)
ck2_44.jpg
Why am I introducing him? Cause I was preparing big surprise that would make king Mihajlo damned in all those history books we were mentioning before. He was actually sent to be educated by Pecheneg major. So, changing between Christian variants of religion is not cool by common people, but OK it happens. This would be right damn horrible, that young prince returns barely remembering his mother language, wearing some steppe clothes. But the bonus is the possibility of raiding around. Perhaps I should land him in newly conquered Pecheneg province, so perhaps event would trigger... or perhaps that is now far too gamey, I mean too much out of RP... I don't know, just tried to spice things up. It didn't work, so yeah.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Welp, the people could despise the Pecheneg-raised King.

Serbia is rising in the world, though. Allies are so easy to manipulate.

Reactions:
Yes, with alliances even the worst rulers have solid chances. I even tried out playing Pechenegs and Alania, just for few years, and if you peace out with Cumania it is not that hard to survive actually. As for getting Pecheneg king of Serbia, well, might be too much out of RP. It is already safe, that would make it easy actually.

It was quiet for a few months, sieges are in Portugal, then there was small rebellion at my ally and Mihajlo decided to help, raising his own levies. Also I was spying on my courtiers with money - whenever I am checking something, I check also for councilors and brothers of rulers, so here and there here are people who dislike the ruler although they gladly sell their favors. And then finally my chancellor decided to kick in again, it took him few years but it is a juicy fruit :)
ck2_22.jpg ck2_24.jpg ck2_26.jpg ck2_25.jpg
Yup, I was thinking to myself.... I reall liked the previous Pope that was helping me out. But these young generations will just ruin everything. I bet Popes to come will simply build temple holdings in such a nice big place like county of Rome. And it should be by all means populated with cities. So... maybe that is a good idea :)

Also I noticed some of the German armies went gray, so no more Lorraine and Bavaria, but I got Baden/Corinthia and got young duke of Schwabia to sign.
ck2_28.jpg ck2_30.jpg ck2_31.jpg
I also got youngest son of English king and French brother with strong claim to France and a lot of claims to Russian duchies. I don't have any immediate plans, let's just have them around and we will see. Mihajlo will naturally prefer to marry them matrilineally first, but most daughters are already betrothed. Actually, some marriages started arriving. Mihajlo's first daughter finally turned 16 and matrilineally married Moesian heir.

Then Potugal, I mean Galicia, was finished. Also, my grandson turned 16 and married Spoleto duchess. Then I noticed he also grew into siege commander. Well, I have three for now so OK, he doesn't like his wife so perhaps I can invite him back later. Also, I found a claimant to the city???
ck2_32.jpg ck2_33.jpg ck2_34.jpg
Wtf? How did he get to have a claim to the city, regardless of being in merchant family. Anyway, Mihajlo doesn't have anything better to do on his court than spy on rich people.

So I was involved in two rebellions, although not really paying attention to French one. My mercs were on their way to Anatolia to help levies. And then on same day, Kaiser attacks France and my vassal decides it is good idea to threat me.
ck2_35.jpg ck2_36.jpg
One small unimportant thing, as I was checking where to attack, I realized my favors are over so I had to renew them. Didn't had time for that Wallachia duchy thing. So I bought some and changed advisor, so turned out I was ready for those who had a favor from me. Once already someone managed to empower council for granting titles. Favors were out and I wasn't paying attention. Well, not again.
Also, if courtier is kinda rich, old and lowborn, I marry him to 45-47 wife and give him barony. And usually make him advisor or smt, since that purchase of favor is more like investment. And after 20 year, Mihajlo was finally caught.
ck2_38.jpg ck2_39.jpg

So what next? Paphlagonian rebels are almost finished and I have few options. My own rebellion was going fine, Greek allies already sieging rebel leader's Naissos. I could go east and try with Muslim rulers, because finally Seljuks and Fatimids are at each other's throat. Shia Fatimids attacked, and whole Sunni world around bundled together. When they lose I guess they will be easy target, but unfortunately I am not close enough to Fatimids for casus beli. On the other hand, Pisa is invading that duke west of Tunis, Hamamid or smt. I don't like them getting there. So perhaps attack Pisa for tribute so allies attack them, then I attack Hamamids... Or simply press for Rome first before Mihajlo dies.... Suggestions?

• 1Love
Reactions:
Attack Rome. It’s needed to mend the schism. If the Fatimids are vulnerable, attack them, too.

Reactions:
Ok, let's go west, because we should get that Rome anyway. There was opportunity in the east but you can't be everywhere.... Seljuks did beat Fatimids and for a while Fatimids couldn't even hire the Mamluks. Those African nations to the south tried to take advantage of it but will probably fail. There was no new revolt in Fatimids unfortunately. On the other hand, Byz attacked one of the small Sunni rulers, but others including Seljuks joined in. So Byz are very weak now, also Seljuks are down to 10k soldiers, inclduding mercs (they also have cavalry vassal mercs like Mamluks, forgot the name).

All this off course took a while... why am I explaining what is happening around instead of what I was playing first? Because fortune followed Dukljanins for long time, and now things are starting to fall apart.

So, from Paphlagonia levies boarded the ships to get to homelands, to be dismissed , while mercs proceeded on foot through the Greece. Allies finished off the rebels. One of the rebelling lords was that duke in Wales. But luckily warscore was already high from local victories/sieges and leader accepted white peace.
ck2_45.jpg
Normally I prefer defeating the rebels and imprisoning them all, but I wanted to hurry and finish my wars soon, so when HRE vs France is finished and Mihajlo has some peace time, inheritance should become primogeniture. I am not sure if I mentioned this, but few years ago when I got control of council, it was new law time as well. There was enough points on the pile to complete legalism lvl3, so with favorable council, illegal inheritance outside of the real and late feudalism were enacted. But it wasn't 10 years since kingdom crown was formed. I wanted to set primogeniture now, but due to alliance I am in the war with HRE and his ally Hungary. I don't even plan to get involved, it is not winnable. Idea was simply to win some wars while HRE finishes France and have some peace for inheritance law change. There were some civil war rebellions few years ago, but you might have noticed in screenshots that realm peace was enforced. I expected to get primogeniture already, but HRE stopped me.

So, Pope hired some mercs and is helping my super good friend duke of Benevento to push some Muslims back into Tunis. Also, Pope joined DP :( therefore instead of simply declaring war for Rome I decided to get armies of allies close first. Mihajlo DOWed holly war on Hammadid and tributary war on Pisa. As Pisa is already winning some sieges in Africa and have 4k, Mihajlo raised his 2,5k levies and joined them with 4k mercs and set sail for Hammadid lands where Pisan army would be. Hammadid themselves were already defeated by two rebellions even before Pisans arrived. And then the most terrible news reached the king:
ck2_46.jpg
Mihajlo immediately fell very ill. His troops arrived in Africa, traveled to the south of Pisan army until their morale was recovered and then pushed to attack. Mihajlo recovered... physically at least. After all those wars and plotting, even killing his own son... all just to make the heir out of the best son and hopefully ensure the prosperity of his people, losing his genius son was too much. Mihajlo was never the same again.
ck2_47.jpg
His army made an easy victory against unsuspecting Pisans and laid siege to the holdings, now controlled by Pisa. However, lot of allies arrived at that point so assaults were made in the two provinces controlled by Pisa and the rebels. Then soldiers boarded the ships and set sail for Pisan's capitol. Event kicked in that I never saw before, and queen was pregnant regardless of almost 50 years of age difference.
ck2_48.jpg ck2_49.jpg ck2_50.jpg

Meanwhile my allies are also my enemies, due to conflicting wars. So my ally is sieging my lands but not my own holdings. Jerk, he should be tough a lesson if not for more pressing issues. Pisan retinues are low on numbers and assaulting cities is easy. Then Mihajlo noticed Pope has quite a few kids, and was willing to betroth the youngest son. Then Mihaljo sent few more offers, removing most of Christian DP members from the DP. Levies are transported to domestic lands to be dismissed again for DoW. Meanwhile, mercs are going south on foot through Italy and attached couple of allies on the way, because Papal troops are in Sicily sieging back the holding from Tunisians. Mihajlo was thinking ahead a bit, and realized he has no intention of owning a church when war for Rome is won. So he checked the two baronies in the county. One has only a daughter and sister, and is a bit slow. So sister was married to prince of Englad who happens to be on the court, and numerous courtiers and lords rushed to support her assassination. Also, Frech prince has a lot of claims to Russain lands, but also has a wife. He must have matrilineal marriage to Dukljanin girl if he wants his claims pressed. But she was spied on, as assassination was directed at baron's sister. Eventually, after decades, Mihajlo gets a non-bastard son.
ck2_51.jpg ck2_52.jpg ck2_54.jpg ck2_53.jpg ck2_56.jpg ck2_57.jpg

When troops were finally in Sicily, betrothal with Pope was broken and war declared. Poor Papists. I already invited one strong claimant to a coastal county in north of Spain, and got rid of his wife as well. He will not get Dukljanin girl as there are none around (only kids and mostly already betrothed) but he got Burbone girl that was raised as proper Orthodox Serbian (daughter of my previous chancellor long time ago). Hammadids had enough and there was a lot of titles to be given out. As Mihajlo fabricated claim to Singidunum long time ago, precisely because of situation like this, he revoked it and amazingly count accepted without a fight. Furthermore, he became Serbian at some point which I didn't know and ended up at Mihajlo's court. However his kids are still Greek, so his humbleness was not rewarded with a county but with a temple. Serbian land of Singidunum went to a member of Dukljanin family, a nephew without a claim.
ck2_58.jpg ck2_59.jpg
Mihajlo had to invite some Orthodox men with proper theology skill, as there was almost no one in his realm. Also, Mihajlo has some amazing magical ability to simply list all men in his realm by the age and check on each man how much money he has. So, few men with 100 coins or so became burghers in Africa. Planning to keep one county in Africa, that would be coastal one at the north-east because it has 2 cities, Mihajlo gave both cities to both of his organizer commanders. First they got some wards and money, naturally, and were reinstated as commanders. The second coastal county went to already mentioned claimant to Spanish county, and the third went to one engineer commander, Armenian noble with a strong claim to Seleukia (which is coastal in Anatolia, just in case). Mihajlo actually thinks about pushing that one to finally get closer to the holy land and the middle east, to be able to DoW someone there. At least next war between Seljuks and Fatimids may be an opportunity.

Inland counties were supposed to go to inland claimants, like French prince. Except his wife stubbornly refuses to die. And since it took a while to get some of these claimants and people for temples, Mihajlo realized things are going worse than he thought. The first thing is that he constantly keeps seeing moving shadows around. His courtiers started giving him a strange looks. Then he called for tax shifted law for burghers, and realized only two councilors are still supporting him only because old and expiring favors, but nobody liked him anymore. He was over demesne limit, barely any vassal still had positive opinion and paid any taxes (only the ones who's claims Mihajlo pressed), and other courtiers disliked him because few of his murders were now known. His genius lunatic son was dead, then his 6th son also died, now his spymaster reported his 7th son (and the newest heir) is plotting to kill him with his Tuscan wife, and he gathered a lot of supporters. Is that a gratitude for building a strong kingdom for all of them to live in? Mihajlo started spending more and more time in the stables, talking to his horse.... and causing in even more gossiping in the court.

Primogeniture was impossible, idiots in inheritance line, nobody liked him but his horse.... Mihajlo just hit the lowest point - his luck changed upside down in matter of months. He started contemplating to let his son continue with the assassination plot. What else was there for him? His realm will surely crumble to pieces. His ungrateful sons will be squabbling and enemies will pray on them. At least history will remember him as the first Dioclean king, no matter how shortly lived that kingdom would turn out to be. Did something moved in the corner again? Uh... He started doubting himself and his decisions... and his God. Was this a punishment for forsaking the Pope? And then fabricating the claim to Rome? Wasn't he supposed to unify the church again? His horse didn't give him any wise answer, but there was a compassion in his eyes. And then, for the first time in his life, Mihajlo decided to spend the night in the stables. It was much warmer there then surrounded by those ungrateful pests of the courtiers.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
And Mihajlo’s luck runs out.

“My allies were also my enemies” - wow. Just... wow.

Or maybe History will remember him as a pragmatic ruler without many morals...

Reactions:
BUMP! I was thinking of doing a new AAR (and I probably will, and it will surely be with pagans as those modern religions are dead boring), but just benefit of the doubt, I decided to play a bit more with Mihajlo and see how his kingdom will hold. However, it had some surprising turns, so I decided to continue. It gets worse before it gets better, but it does play out very good for Duklja simply because this great Mihajlo refused to die when everyone (I mean me) expected. And before I proceed with the story, check this guy:
ck2_60.jpg
To remind you, Mihajlo had a son with genius lowborn, who became possessed while he was still a baby, so Mihajlo renounced him as he was legitimized on birth. As Mihajlo didn't want him around, nor risking having him as a claimant with his own dynasty, he was given a city in Wallachia. As I was checking the state with Mihajlo's children, I gotta say I am impressed how the demon child turned out. I guess that's how demon child would appear in game indeed :) I am half-mind to give him coastal county and duchy and continue playing with him. A real demon child dynasty :)

Anyway, let's get back to the business. Mihajlo was broken by sadness after losing his favorite son as heir. It made him mad, seeing shadows and spending more time with his horse then his lover (he had multiple but only one remained). Naturally, that didn't made him less ambitious, as he was already pushing his fabricated claim for Rome. There was a war with HRE was because of alliance with France, but naturally Mihajlo didn't care about that. As usual, his own wars were going fine, as his current enemies were weak, and Mihajlo still had combined allied force of like half of all Christendom. Anyway, after breaking Pope's army, Mihajlo declared war on Aragorn, pushing one strong claimant on duchy of Barcelona. That claimant was already baron somewhere. Due to DP, duke of Benevento and one Welsh duke joined in the war. Declaring new wars is easy as Duklja rolls with mercs only. Aragorn and Benevnto are already low on soldiers as they are fighting their own wars. However, Pope wanted to fight to the end, so mercs had to stay in Italy. And that's how 1088 year went by. Mihajlo going nuts, his allies having no troubles winning his wars for him. Apart from battlefields, Mihajlo made betrothal arrangements and sent his chancellor to ensure alliance with mighty Cuman Khagan. Cumans all became Orthodox years ago. Mihajlo didn't want to sign alliance while Cumans had their own wars, but their cavalry should make sure that any war against Byzantine can be easily won. Also, after murdering sister of baron of Tusculum (castle in Rome, we want to inherit a castle after winning county of Rome), Mihajlo was unsuccessfully trying to make French prince single again (he has lot of claims but must be matrilineally married to Mihajlo's dynasty).
ck2_61.png ck2_62.png ck2_64.png ck2_65.png
Then for new year 1089, small present arrived in message that some Italian province switched to Orthodox. I guess that's cool, since Mihajlo fell out with Pope. Then another of his sons dies, with son that plots to kill Mihajlo the actual heir. As for wars in 1089, HRE and France finally finished whatever they were fighting for. War with Pisa was prolonged to make sure they ain't gonna win some holy war in Africa. As numerous allies marched from Italy to Spain, mercs had to be sent to Ireland to push back the Welsh duke. No real challenge anywhere, more of a bother really.
ck2_66.png ck2_67.png ck2_63.jpg

Then it happened. Mihajlo was becoming more estranged from the court and practically stopped eating meat. He could go out riding completely on his own day after day, carrying only few vegetables with him. People were not sure was he even eating that, or was he simply sharing with his horse. He no longer looked powerful in his saddle, he lost lot of weight and somehow became old in matter of months. His spymaster was advising against going unprotected like that, and avoiding conversations with courtiers. Spymaster was Pecheneg that converted to Orthodox while still vassal of Pecheneg Khagan, that became vassal of Duklja in holy war and Mihajlo made him duke of Wallachia. So Mihajlo replied to him that he naturally has coward's advice since he already abandoned his own gods. Then, as everyone falls to the might of Dioclean league, Mihajlo fell to the sickness. He didn't know how many days he stayed in bed, but when fever finally receded, Mihajlo knew something was wrong. Only one very old lady was visiting him and bringing him some food, and she always wore gloves when she was attending to him. When morning finally came that he felt he could sit up in his bed, his head started spinning, after seeing his pieces of skin in the sheets. He pulled his sleeves to look at his arms... he refused to believe it. How could that happen? Why did his God cursed him like this?
ck2_68.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
So, as once mighty king Mihajlo is losing his own faith after everything that happened to him, his stronger-than-ever allies are expanding his still mighty kingdom. Mercs from Ireland are shipped to Spain to help with conquest of Barcelona.

Year 1090: finally 100% warscore was achieved with Pope and both Pope and Pisa wars can be finished. Immediately assassination plot was started against baron of Tusculum, who now only had underage daughter as remaining family members. So king Mihajlo should quickly inherit a castle of Tusculum and turn province of Rome into proper feudal holding. As war efforts were focused on Barcelona, new trouble appeared: huge Lollard uprising in Ireland. Actually, as landlocked allies can not reach Ireland and I am not sure at all how other allies would help, this rebellion will be a bit hard to put down. Serbia currently has ~3k mercs and maybe that much levies, against 7k rebels. Let's see, for now mercs stay in Spain to finish that war. Duchy of Barcelona is far more juicy than keeping couple of Irish provinces.
ck2_69.png ck2_70.png

Eventually, as I was checking stuff around, I realized that poor leper Mihajlo has something to hope for. Every now and then spymaster event for 50 points would fire. Spymaster was always stealing... ahem, I mean "working" in Constantinople, and Chaplain was spreading cultural knowledge in capitol. So there was enough cultural points to "buy" Legalism level 3. Only thing preventing Mihajlo for instituting primogeniture was ongoing war and rebellion. If primogeniture is declared, then his genius grandson with potential claim to Hungary would become a new heir. That gave Mihajlo hope, perhaps all his punishments were just and fair, considering all the things he done in order to push that genius trait at the top of inheritance line. However, soon afterwards civil wars started. Few counts that were vassals to Mihajlo's vassal duke of Brittany started rebelling against their new liege. Fair enough, new duke had no levies to speak of, but that doesn't make Mihajlo any less angry about it. So since assassination plot was directed at barony of Tusculum, Mihajlo started spying on rebel leaders, hoping that killing the leader will end the rebellion too. Soon Mihajlo will understand that's not how rules work, and also Mihajlo did inherit castle of Tusculum.
ck2_72.png ck2_73.png ck2_74.png ck2_75.png

As the winter was approaching, Barcelona was acquired and all mercs and levies were shipped to Ireland.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Mihajlo is having a crisis of faith, but he isn't about to let that his ambitions!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Year 1091 - Mihajlo definitely has all the luck when it comes to war. He might be child-killing, woman-banging, rulers-plotting, horse-loving leper lunatic, but he definitely has some powerful gods on his side when it comes to war. First rebels, then new easy opportunities. Let's go in order.

Combined mercs and levies barely number 6k with some local Irish levies, arrive in Ireland. 7k strong rebels immediately abandon their siege and move to welcome Mihajlo's forces while they are still recovering from seasickness. Mihajlo also learned that killing a vassal who is fighting another vassal doesn't necessary stop that war. Thx to abundance of commanders with organizer skill as well se siege maestros, Mihajlo's army avoid the fight and lead rebels in circle until their morale is recovered. Then they make their stand. Actually, Mihajlo assumed first battle will be lost, but it will destroy half of rebels as well, while mercs will recover and then strike again. However, just before battle was to begin, and no time to avoid it now, rebels decide to double their numbers.
ck2_76.png ck2_77.png ck2_79.png

It totally looked like Irish crows will feast on Serbian flesh (or wherever mercs are from as they are more than half of the army). However, battle was going well and then, perfect timing of Mihajlo's powerful allies saved the day. I guess AI does not recalculate where the armies are unloading from the ships when the fleet finally arrives. So, before new rebel army managed to join the ongoing battle that Mihajlo's forces were actually winning, allies attacked from the ships. Allies had far less soldiers, around 4k against 7k, in addition to less morale and amphibious landing penalty, actually managed to reduce their number significantly and most importantly, to keep them occupied until Mihajlo forces broke the first army. Therefore Mihajlo's army was already recovering morale and had no higher numbers, so attacking second army was easy work. Well done Mihajlo for his brave allies.
ck2_80.png ck2_81.png

And then, levies were dismissed and mercs had to travel back to mainland. One of Mihajlo's courtiers, probably master of whispers, Pecheneg spymaster overheard Mihajlo crying to his horse that because of those idiots vassals from Brittany and Ireland, he won't be able to enact primogeniture and make his now-favorite genius grandson a legal heir. So when rest of Mihajlo's council heard of this, they agreed that that is actually good idea as it will bring stability, even with Mihajlo horsing around. So they decided to surprise Mihaljo by doing something Mihajlo completely forgot as he was trying to kill those fighting vassals: enacting the Realm Peace. Mihajlo was so emotional about this, so couple of weeks later, out of gratitude for his dear chancellors, Mihajlo decided to give his contribution in laws that will increase realm stability.
ck2_82.png ck2_83.png

So before realm peace kicked in, Mihajlo was looking around (and horsing around naturally, that goes without saying) and found that best theologian in his realm is of his own dynasty. Normally he would be used to marry some claimant girl and expand the size of dynasty, but I guess that the very first Orthodox in Rome should be somewhat special. Also, Mihajlo was studying his stupid son's assassination plot and realized that even though many people joined the plot, they all together couldn't organize a proper destruction of local ant heap. So, as Mihajlo was feeling less paranoid about people, he decided to simple ask few of those people to kindly abandon that plot or they will be found misusing those lovely turnips Mihajlo and prosecuted for it.
ck2_84.png ck2_85.png

And then, like I said, new stroke of luck. One of Mihajlo's numerous ungrateful sons, who was a ruler of Rascia all along and fought against Mihajlo as he was serving his Greek masters, actually rebelled against Byz emperor. He is the only one rebelling against emperor's tyranny, and in addition to that Byz can't respond quickly as their forces are already fighting in Armenia somewhere. Anyway it is nice opportunity to include Rascia into the kingdom, which would leave Lychnidos as the only Serbian lands outside of Mihajlo's realm. Before declaring this war, Mihajlo actually remembered to check the inheritance law. It says all is good, although clearly more than one vassal hates Mihajlo's guts. Does this condition that count-level and above vassal must have positive opinion applies only to de-jure kingdom of Serbia?
ck2_86.png

Anyway, this is why I continued AAR. Since Mihajlo actually didn't die, he is 75 and kicking (and galloping), primogeniture is now actually possible and his grandson will most likely manage to remain strong. However, there was one idea I had in mind since Mihajlo became lunatic leper, that maybe he will denounce his God, listen to his horse and chose the gods of the plains. This is possible since he has enough prestige and can move his capitol to province Oleshye, which is both Tengri and Pecheneg. I actually never do this very gamy total conversions, but could fit the story due to Mihajlo's condition. Also, Mihajlo blames his demon child and Pope himself for leprosy, like one of them threw a curse or something. So initial idea was for Mihajlo to go pagan, and then makes Pope unlanded although they still have a truce. So like go fully bad in this regards and lose all his prestige and earn hate of Catholics. But it might be a bit too much gamy, I don't know... so what do you guys think?

1. Mihajlo gets to his senses and doesn't abandon the God, as his curse is not exactly undeserved (among others, he did kinda killed his own sons and grandsons)
- 1.1. Mihajlo enacts primogeniture, his genius grandson (that will also get claim to Hungary from his mother) will inherit, continuing alliances strategy and genius trait ideology
- 1.2. Mihajlo is too nuts to enact primogeniture, heir is his ungrateful son, causing more instability, who is under influence of his Tuscan wife (somehow, I am not sure what would it mean)
2. Mihajlo abandons the God and finds solace in plains (becomes Tengri and Pecheneg)
- 2.1. Mihajlo breaks the truce and drives Pope from the lands, then gets to his senses by his young lover girl and makes peace with God (if he doesn't die that is) - this was kinda my planned option, so not misuse powerful CBs for quick expansion, but just to get Pope
- 2.2. Mihajlo breaks the truce and attacks Pope, afterwards continues to harass those evil Abrahamic religions.
- 2.3. Mihajlo doesn't break the truce although he hates Pope, but makes war on Christians, until he lives long enough to attack Pope without breaking the truce

Obviously, in 2.2. and 2.3. his ungrateful son will inherit.

So guys, which options should it be? Or is there something else you wished for Mihajlo to do?

• 1Love
Reactions:

It's so wacky.

• 1Like
Reactions:
OK then, 2.3 it is. @Midnite Duke don't get me wrong, it is not that I avoid your pick, but you said "craziest is best", so... let's have Mihajlo continue his nutspath and go pagan. Actually, now I am sorry Mihajlo didn't have couple of decades as Bogomil as well :D This was supposed to be about alliances, not about religion shift-shaper :)

Hmmm.... more questions:
1. Since Mihajlo went nuts after losing his genius son, I kinda feel he should proceed with genetical engineering. Agreed?
2. Speaking of favorite son and now grandson, Mihajlo could switch to elective gavelkind after going pagan. Now, that seems like a reasonable thing as it looks like stability, but changing to that succession law will actually split the realm. Yes, genius grandson will get the most, but since it is kingdom level, other kids will create new kingdoms by default. Wallachia and Brittany, not sure about Aragorn as title already exists, but Mihajlo's vassal holds all de jure lands. There is not enough in Ireland and Wales, but Wallachia and Brittany for sure. Well, unless Mihajlo forms his own empire, but after conversions, he will need to gain 6k prestige in whatever years remain to him, which is not likely. So, stay gavelkind or going after genius trait at cost of fragmenting the realm?
3. Do I put master Orthodox theologian Dukljanin to church of Rome, or actually give it to Tengri guy after conversion? :D:eek: Actually this may matter as Mihajlo would then use Dukljanin relative for some other evil dynasty-dominance plan, possibly for some pagan girls. From serving the God in Rome to serving pagan brother or father in-law, poor theologian dude :D

I wanted to ask about demon-child, but doesn't matter. If Mihajlo is not pressing revenge on Pope, demon-kid is out of direct reach anyway.

Reactions:
Well, Mihajlo should do things that make no sense. Keeps him in character.

Reactions:
Sorry for the bump, but I felt I should at least apologize for never continuing this AAR.

So, what happened? Well, real life kicked in for a while. When I returned, somehow I got cold about this one, genius trait perhaps being only thing I might chase. Mihajlo is still alive, more than 70 years old, leper lunatic, captured Rascia from his son and went pagan. And then I just had to try another games - mostly playing and staying pagan in 1066 start or later. Sometimes trying to stay tribal or unreformed as long as possible.

And then I had decision to make, should I switch to CK3 or to latest CK2. After some reading, I opted for CK2 as it has more stuff yet to come in CK3. And I felt it will keep me entertained before switching to completely new UI. So I went from 2.5.2 to 3.3 and now I totally don't feel like going back to 2.5 games :( However, one reply will persuade me to at least finish the chapter with Mihajlo.

I know I am late with updates and DLCs, but for now I have lot to explore. Societies, complex pagan reformation, bloodlines... and better map. Makes it both harder and easier. So I tested a bit with pagans, or with specific characters. Can't just play with big realms as it feels I am giving myself a huge kickstart. Only once I reformed religion and still haven't forged the bloodline.

So, for those who actually read this AAR, especially you two that actually replied :) - apologies. If you liked my writing I can start new AAR in 3.3. I found few ideas that I might explore. This time it will be definitely less gamey. Cheers

Reactions: