• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like your beginning and the style. Flashes of scenes from throughout the empire. And Russia looks to be on the move. Keep it up, Cyrus_The_Great.

Sorry for the really slow rate of updates everyone. You can expect a new one by Saturday.

Enewald: The "Somewhere in the Middle of Russia" was used to help add a bit of comedy. I didn't really know how else to introduce the Prussian before the war, so I just sort of thought, "ah what the hell, I'll make a goofier update and have fun with it."

Jingles: Largely the same as I said to Enewald, I thought I would take one of the most beaurocratic characters in this AAR and contrast him with this goofy Russian family.

Babington-Smyth: Glad to have you reading and thank you! Yes, the Himalayas should prove to be an interesting front. It's going to be hard trying to create a situation as realistic as possible, however, as I don't know all too much about mountain warfare during this period.

Coz1: Glad to have you reading, and yes, you will notice that Russia has advanced significantly with regards to the economy and military.

Also, I am going to start making a map, although I am not too sure what I will do exactly, seeing that I can't find the screenshots I took for this AAR.

The Black Sea​

The sun cast orange beams across the deck of the Gloria as Colonel Phillips strolled towards the Dining Hall. He paused briefly, observing the now orange-pink ships puffing away endlessly towards the horizon. Great Britain was sending hundreds of ships towards Crimea, and observing the vast spectacle amidst the setting sun, Phillips couldn’t help but feel a wave of pride.

He contemplated this as he resumed his stroll, and then contemplated the possibility of defeat, defeat yet again. If Sevastpol was to happen as it had little more than a decade ago, Britain may never be able to hold her head in the air the same way. But that wouldn’t happen, not with Wolseley handling the invasion.

As Phillips entered the large hall where countless officers were now accumulating, he knew that he, like every other officer there, was more than willing to die for Britain. He actually found himself eager to lead his brigade of cavalry into the inevitable hordes of Russia.
He sat down and continued to contemplate along his lines until his train of thought was interrupted by an announcement.

“Gentlemen, If I may have all of your attention. I know this may come as unexpected, but I would like to introduce to you all, Major General Garnet Wolseley!”

Phillips, like the entirety of the crowd, burst out into applause. He could not believe that the most celebrated general of modern Britain was now aboard the same boat as him.
Wolseley, looking incredibly regal in his uniform, stepped out onto the small, impromptu stage that had been set up on one side of the hall.

“It is my pleasure to see so many soldiers of Britain, all prepared to fight and die for her glory. Glory will be obtained, however. Just Twelve years ago, I was fighting in the dismal trenches of the land called Crimea. I witnessed my fellows suffer and die, all because of incompetent leadership, both in the upper reaches of the army, and in the government. It was a war that the government didn’t allow our soldiers to win, and that won’t happen again.

Eleven years after we left that land, our heads low, we return, our heads now held high! The Queen and our good Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli, are prepared for a fight. There will be no fooling around here! We are here to win, and win we shall!

As leaders in this war, I expect you all to follow orders, show courage, and show resourcefulness. Gone is incompetence within our army, you are all here because you have proven yourself, whether in Asia or Africa.”

He continued his speech, filling Phillips with a strengthened sense of purpose, courage and loyalty. By the time Wolseley was finished, he had burst into applause, and when he did return to his room, he had trouble sleeping due to the excitement of the upcoming battle.

Budapest, Hungary​

Antal and his family sat around the table, devouring some stew that Antal’s mother had made. Antal looked around. They all seemed completely absorbed in their eating, but he knew he didn’t have much time left.

“Father”, he began.

Everyone paused.

“I have decided that I am going to sign up for the army.”
His family simply stared, most of them had known it was coming, but all were still surprised nonetheless.

“Son. The Army in this war means death.”

“So you would have me sit around while our country is pillaged?”
His father was silent. The old man, who hadn’t spoken since that dinner a few nights before, said, “let him join. If he doesn’t join like a man he will be drafted like a boy. And life at home is about to get harder.”
His father took a deep breath, and then nodded. “You can enlist tomorrow.”

Five Days Later

Antal was rudely awakened from his bunk by the loud blare of a horn. It wasn’t even dawn yet, not even close. Him and everyone else in his barrack all rolled out of bed and dressed. A voice roared, “everyone awaken! Today’s the day the Russians declare war. For your King’s sake, get the hell up!”

His crash course in how to fight had been intensive and tiring. He felt like he couldn’t even move, but nonetheless somehow proceeded to do the morning jog. By the time they had finished that, the sun had rose, and he began to gobble down a piece of bread. After this week of hell he thought actual battle wouldn’t be too bad. He would later be proved wrong.

Also everyone, the next update will finally see combat.

Last edited: