Imperator: Rome Developer Diary - 4th of November

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And just as a 2nd question, would there be any changes to Rome’s political structure in this update? Such that if let’s just say it’s automated (Crusus Honorum hehe), how would this affect Great families etc :p

How about the historical families of Rome, like the Juli, Pompeius, Brutus etc? Will they all be gone now?

Quite concerning that let’s say if I expand time throughout Italy, I won’t be able to RP a reincarnation of Caesar, Pompey and Cicero etc.

I am pretty sure most of important historical families will be there, with some possibly spawning via events or missions. Unless you screw up and fall in rank, they should stay there.
And if the limit is too small, they can add a "+2 Families" modifier to Rome as Heritage or something.

Would it be possible that a very successful minor character replace a low-prestige major family with his own? I think it would make the game fell much more alive if you don't have the same 3-5 families for the entire campaign. It would be interesting to see something like Caesar, who came from a relitively weak family, make the Julii Caesares a major player.

EDIT:
Nevermind, this has already been acknowledged. However it seems to be a little bit too rare.

Last edited:
I'm liking where this is going!

I think the colors is a great idea and I like that there's also a reward for making a family grateful.

What is family prestige used for? And is power base still just a loyalty factor? Feels like it'd be cool if power base could empower them but be something that's very hard to keep under control. But like with adopt, it doesn't seem like it costs a lot to bring them in?

If I don't understand wrong the expected positions is based on the families size so banishing / murdering members could be a thing together with adopting in useful people when the family is providing weak ones? Or even that you might look to dump an entire family if the generation is bad?

I am pretty sure most of important historical families will be there, with some possibly spawning via events or missions. Unless you screw up and fall in rank, they should stay there.
And if the limit is too small, they can add a "+2 Families" modifier to Rome as Heritage or something.
I Guess thats good, I would like to see what events are there tho, and how to trigger it

Have you considered having us assign governors/armies/navies/offices directly to families?

I feel like 3-5 families is rather small, and still doesn't address the overall tedium that builds as the game goes on. Additionally, there are more meaningful interactions to be had if we actively remove a family from a post, for whatever reason. Assigning the post would also let families auto-generate new characters as needed, rather than forcing us to hunt for them.

This is a great idea and well worth thinking about, essentially meaning that specific jobs end up in the gift of the head of the family. Potentially less micro management for the player and more historically accurate!

This is awesome! It would address many of the problems the game currently has!
However, my concern is about two things:
1) because I'm playing as the nation, can I make another family other than ruling one to adopt anybody?
2) I think that maybe the system that increases or decreases the number of great families is a bit static... I don't know, it seems so. What do you think?

However, it seems that the balance of malus and bonuses are very good, especially when speaking of Grateful and Scorned families.

Nice, I like the direction Imperator is taking about "Personification" of characters, I feel like it's his unique feature, rather then be a copy of CK2.

A good evolution of the existing system. True, it is less realistic, but if it helps make the families more reletable, I'll consider it a small sacrifice.

I hope eventually we get the kind of "Family Ambition". For instance, the Junii Family will seek to preserve the Republic, while the Julii will seek to establish an empire. This would give families some more character, and also affect the way you (and they) play the game.

Historically this was less family ambition and more of an individual ambition. What about looking at certain family members going rogue? Events that lead to characters working against their own class, like the Gracchi or Ceasar.

A good evolution of the existing system. True, it is less realistic, but if it helps make the families more reletable, I'll consider it a small sacrifice.

I hope eventually we get the kind of "Family Ambition". For instance, the Junii Family will seek to preserve the Republic, while the Julii will seek to establish an empire. This would give families some more character, and also affect the way you (and they) play the game.

This! Family / individual ambitions would be great. Tying families or Pater Familias's to factions even more whilst allowing them to float over time would be great too.

I do feel like 5 families is pretty limited though. Perhaps up to 8 in a massive Selukid type empire or a Republic? By virtue of their nature Republics ought to have more...

Last edited:
What is family prestige used for?

As it says in the DD Family Prestige gives the Head of Family Power Base. Which means the more he has the less easy it is to make him happy, and the more of an issue it is if he goes disloyal. A disloyal head of family is often going to mean a likely civil war :)

While 3-5 families are probably enough for tribes and monarchies, I feel that republics needs a greater number - especially Rome. How giving republics +2 families, and reduced number of offices needed for each family?

This is a great idea and well worth thinking about, essentially meaning that specific jobs end up in the gift of the head of the family. Potentially less micro management for the player and more historically accurate!

As @Temudhun Khan suggested this should work differently for republics - my response being that the Senate would assign them as a whole rather than individual parties.

I agree with the overall direction of turning families into institutions, though. It's one of my original criticisms of the game on release, so overall this is a positive change. I do hope we'll see more institutions as time goes on.

As it says in the DD Family Prestige gives the Head of Family Power Base. Which means the more he has the less easy it is to make him happy, and the more of an issue it is if he goes disloyal. A disloyal head of family is often going to mean a likely civil war :)

Good! Cause I had a few disgruntled Head of Family in my last playthrough, roaming the land with what personnal troops they had, but they were each time very far from having enough power to pose any kind of threat, much less trigger a civil war. This should add more strategy and tension into the game.

If I don't understand wrong the expected positions is based on the families size so banishing / murdering members could be a thing together with adopting in useful people when the family is providing weak ones? Or even that you might look to dump an entire family if the generation is bad?

The expected positions are tied to the number of jobs, not to families' size.

Oh ic. I knew that. I just assumed there was some hidden positive thing about it. Because the way it sounds now is that prestige is this negative thing you want to keep in check rather than something that will help the family too. I like the malus of it but as I said, just feels a bit weird that it's mostly a malus (unless I'm missing something). Especially when the cost of adoption is a prestige hit.

For the love of YHWH, post these on the Home page!! I:R needs more exposure!

Historically this was less family ambition and more of an individual ambition. What about looking at certain family members going rogue? Events that lead to characters working against their own class, like the Gracchi or Ceasar.

You wouldn't really need to be a part of a pro-Imperial family to be a Dictator though: it would just nudge the characters of that family into that direction more often. Individual characters and their traits should still be the primary actor, but Families could make them more likely develop traits or ambitions that align with a Family's Traditions, or have them join certain Parties.
A Family could also have a chance to switch their Ambition every 70 years or so, or whenever a Family head becomes extremely popular and prominent and thus gets to enforce their own Ambition.