Imperator - Development Diary #3 - 11th of June 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can't wait for the types of units, Celtiberians using the falcata would be awesome

I was a bit worried but this looks (in theory at least...) like a better system than the one in EU 4.

Gold for development, pops generating technology and powers for specific actions which could simulate limited time of your ruler.

Call me interested. But please no more "Feature for power increase in every expansion" kind of thing...

I got some ideas on how to make the conversion system feel more realistic. I made some sketch-work:
sketchwork 1.png
sketchwork 2.png

The pop slowly converts with time. The ruler zeal and other attributes, pop size, nation stability and other factors slow and speed up the process. If you have a low zeal the process might take for ages, but a high one could make conversion rapid. You could spam extra power to make the conversion faster, but not actually contribute directly to the progress.

Stabbing pigs... don't tell me that we still increase Stability by stabbing pigs. That pun wore off in EU:R already.

I dont mind the mana system when used wisely, but i had hope that its generation would be tied to something other than ruler skill. I think this would have been the perfect opportunity to make the I:R system truly unique from EU4 and CK2.

What about this: We take your line of thought "bonus in monthly power for having your national ideas match the categories your government want ideas in", and somehow work that to be instead your main source of mana income. Then, that income is adjusted by your nations "administrative efficiency". "Administrative efficiency" is increased by technology and having a highly skilled leader, but is decreased by controlling a large number of provinces, or having disloyal governors, or having high war exhaustion, or by being in debt, or any number of things. This way you untie your mana from some arbitrarily generated leader, and instead put the reins in the players hands to control. At the same time, you put one more nerf on blobbing nations and make "playing tall" more viable.

Obviously without actually playing the game i have no idea what im talking about, but i hope my response gave you some food for thought!

Last edited:
Manpower is used for building. That's pretty awesome if you ask me.

I read it that way first too.
The second resource is manpower, which is required mostly for building and reinforcing armies.

But then realised he probably means 'manpower, which is mostly for raising and reinforcing armies.

Just as a historical question: what's going on there to make Thebes a separate entity from Boiotia?

Alexander destroyed Thebes. It never reached it old glory and lose his overlordship over Boethia. Boethia was closer to Macedonia during the Post-Alexander era and Thebes as a weakened city state.

Stabbing pigs... don't tell me that we still increase Stability by stabbing pigs. That pun wore off in EU:R already.
Indeed. :p

Will that moving pops thing be on instant? I hope not, I'd like it being a system where you have to slowly spam the civic power so the pops slowly start acting the desired way.
Actually same could be said for converting pops: It should be a slow process where you spam your power into a "progress bar" and then it converts. This way the use of powers doesn't feel like using magic but more like an actual accomplishment.
Spamming your power isnt very fun. Just because i press a button multiple times doesnt make it more fun. I am ok with pressing a button and my effect taking some time. I am also ok to spend continously like diploannex in eu4 but spamming doesnt sound like fun