Imperator - Development Diary - 25th of February 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for that thought Henkt.

Surely a local population would care more about the culture and Religion of their new overlords rather than whether some puppet from their own was in charge locally.....think the Judeans under Rome who had their local puppet King Herod nominally in charge.....didn't make them noticeably favourable to Rome....

I feel like Scandinavia really needs a few more provinces around it's Northern areas just so someone who wants to play in the area has a little more space to settle and grow into. A few of these map edge areas have very few expansion options purely by virtue of being on the edge of an arbitrary map.
Or remove some of those tribes that aren't attested before the Middle Ages and leave some breathing room to colonise.

I feel like Scandinavia really needs a few more provinces around it's Northern areas just so someone who wants to play in the area has a little more space to settle and grow into. A few of these map edge areas have very few expansion options purely by virtue of being on the edge of an arbitrary map.
Well the Point is that you can migrate while playing as one of these tribes so if you find you want more space you can simply move your tribe to a better location.

Surely a local population would care more about the culture and Religion of their new overlords rather than whether some puppet from their own was in charge locally.....think the Judeans under Rome who had their local puppet King Herod nominally in charge.....didn't make them noticeably favourable to Rome....
Foreign pops are still affected by aggressive expansion which don't change by using a govenour who share the religion and Culture. Also a foreign governor is less loyal than one that share your religion and Culture so it do have some drawbacks.

Can I just reiterate that this is Paradox's most gorgeous looking game ever, everything from the map to the interface is amazing.

Thanks for that thought Henkt.

Herod would be more like a vassal than a governor.

You get to decide the fate of the important families of that state :)
You get the same event? that seems very tyrannical to annex a state that served you loyally(I assume they're loyal since you're able to annex them) only to be given the option to part their heads from their bodies. If it is a similar/same event are the consensuses worse?

You get to decide the fate of the important families of that state :)
You get the same event? that seems very tyrannical to annex a state that served you loyally(I assume they're loyal since you're able to annex them) only to be given the option to part their heads from their bodies. If it is a similar/same event are the consensuses worse?
Looks like there's maybe some confusion. I think the question was about diplo-annexing, while the diary discusses military annexation.

Herod would be more like a vassal than a governor.

Indeed but that would be the status of any local family that may be installed (or retained) as Governor following a conquest by a foreign power. As Denkt has pointed out the loyalty of the population is much more affected by the culture of religion of the new overlords than the locally born Governors who in any case would have little loyalty to the conqueror.

It just seems a no brainer to exile or kill any families in the territories you conquer and install loyal Governors from your own territory keeping your own important families happy.

But surely if there is a top notch local personage available you would want to consider letting them be responsible for keeping the province in line. I assume there will be a slightly less chance of revolt if the people at least have the veneer of local rule by one of their own.

Indeed but that would be the status of any local family that may be installed (or retained) as Governor following a conquest by a foreign power. As Denkt has pointed out the loyalty of the population is much more affected by the culture of religion of the new overlords than the locally born Governors who in any case would have little loyalty to the conqueror.

Actually populations happiness is more affected by the governor than the country, well as long as aggressive expansion and tyrrany is not in the Picture. The only serious penalty as far as I know you would suffer is that your religious unity would be lower due to people not sharing your state religion which in turn makes your omens weaker.

One thing about happiness is that it directly affects productivity, if happiness is less than 100% your pops don't work optimal so there is good reason to increase happiness in such case.

But surely if there is a top notch local personage available you would want to consider letting them be responsible for keeping the province in line. I assume there will be a slightly less chance of revolt if the people at least have the veneer of local rule by one of their own.
Yes that is the case but a foreign character will have less loyalty than a character with your state Culture and religion so it do have some drawbacks.

How about Scadanan and the Winnili ... future Longobards?
The Langobards at this point were living in Germania and had already earned their long bearded name and migrated out of Scandinavia. You can read the Dev Diary about Germania for more.

index.php
Should not this actions as well as other actions greatly increase the corruption of your ruler. Literally the ruler steals a massive amount of Money and don't seems to need to have to have any reason whatsoever to take this action.