Imperator - Development Diary - 14th of January 2019

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have to say it feels too much like 66% EU and 33% CK. I keep getting disappointed by DDs and the stream but I guess the final product will show if the game is enjoyable.
BTW I hope that you redesign the character art completely, they look like they're from the uncanny valley.

I think the most ideal thing is to not have 'Egyptian Succession'. It should just be Agnatic-Cognatic, with a second setting, 'Marital Preference', set to 'Forced Dynastic'

More modular and modable, without falling into a trap of unique succession types for many realms.

Seems to me they making the Mauryans the “bigger boss,” lumbering behemoth. Will of course be playing as them to cleanse Iran of Seleucid as the great Chandragupta :p

Attachments

• 9944C1F5-EBD2-44CE-9B2C-51D8D638D5E0.jpeg
    9944C1F5-EBD2-44CE-9B2C-51D8D638D5E0.jpeg
    59,2 KB · Views: 62
Wait what about parthia?lets not forget that they are the ones who will kick the seleucids out of persia and take over the iranian plateau but why there isnt even a small description about it?

Wait what about parthia?lets not forget that they are the ones who will kick the seleucids out of persia and take over the iranian plateau but why there isnt even a small description about it?

It's not the same Parthia. This Parthia is still satrapy of Seleucids. The true Parthia who kicked Seleucids out of Persia were the Parni tribals north of them a Dahaen tribe. Look:

That’d be the Seleucid satrap of Parthia. If you want the famous parthians you should start as one of the countries to the north. Like the parni. :)
You may still form Parthia if you conquer the region though.

While Atropatene is a good candidate to do this with I'd like to once again point to the fact that Heraclea Pontica is ruled by a Achaemenid queen at the start :)
Adiabene is more a power to reform Assyria with I'd say.

There aren't a lot of independent countries in this region but the ones here are interesting starts I'd say.
Just out of curiosity will there be Iranian military traditions?

To help increase Legitimacy you can also at any time use a government action to Strengthen Legitimacy by 10 for a cost of 25 Civic Power and 5 Tyranny.

Yeah I'm going to mod this out. Even with tyranny penalty this is going to be too easy. Keeping legitimacy should be a bit of a challenge (and you guys already implemented very good complex mechanisms), not be rendered pointless by an unimmersive and child-friendly "click magic mana button to immediately sort out all legitimacy problems, cure cancer and world hunger" button.

Legitimacy should take these factors:

- Popularity of the ruler, because that usually determines how legitimate he/she is in people's eyes.
- Combined loyalty of all characters in the nation, because that determines how legitimate he/she is in the eyes of the aristocracy and ruling class. If half your nobles are disloyal, you should automatically lose legitimacy.
- Stability (not just high stability), because negative stability automatically means people will be disgruntled and start consider the ruler incompetent and unfit. Every stability point should have an effect.
- Prominence, because a famous ruler will be much more respected even if he lacks other stats.
- Corruption, which is already in.
- Tyranny - being a bloodthirsty tyrant should also slowly reduce legitimacy to a certain point.

The above systems already exist and would tie perfectly with each other and produce a realistic legitimacy number, which the player will have to manage as everything a ruler does can have effect.

• Agnatic: Inheritance is in age order, with preference to male children of ruler.
  • Agnatic-Cognatic: Inheritance in age order, children of ruler are preferred without preference in regards to gender.
  • Agnatic Seniority: The male siblings of the Monarch will inherit before any children.
  • Egyptian Succession: Children of ruler are preferred in order of age regardless of gender. Members of the royal family will marry their own family members (including sibling to sibling).

While these are good, they are exactly the same from EU-Rome. I was hoping for a bit more complexity, say similar to CK2 - where succession law and gender law are two separate things which allows a very flexible design system.

CK2 had a total of five gender laws from Absolute Agnatic to Absolute Enatic (Enatic law was always unavailable until certain religious conditions were met). These could be in this game too. And in terms of Imperator's system, there can be 4-6 types of succession from a primogeniture monarchy to an elective monarchy which picks candidates from the most prominent and well-connected nobles.

Either way, I hope these will be expanded in future. :)

As long as their loyalty is at least 50 this drastically increases their support for your current heir for a cost of 25 Oratory Power.

Again, going to mod these out. This mana-fest will make the game stupidly easy. Even in EU4 it takes more effort to put a bad heir out of the way.

The Succession Crisis mechanism sounds interesting though. I hope we'll get to see something similar in imperial government types as well.

• Seleucid Empire: Great Macedonian Kingdom with the recently crowned Seleucus as king. While Seleucus and his son Antiochus has campaigned extensively among the Persian satrapies, replacing any disloyal governors with trusted men, the kingdom is a cosmopolitan mix of cultures and religions. Macedonian cities founded by Alexander remain interspersed with Chaldean, Persian and Bactrian subjects, most of whom know very little of politics in Seleucia Magna. The first decision that the Seleucid Empire will have to make is how to deal with the brewing conflict in the east. Historically Seleucus would sign away most of the eastern satrapies on the Mauryan border in exchange for a lasting peace and a high number of Indian War Elephants. Animals that played a decisive part when eventually defeating Antigonus troops in Phrygia. At the start of the game the Seleucid Empire will be faced with a similar choice, they can choose to sign away a large portion of land, for a long truce, or resume war with the huge Mauryan Empire in India.

This looks great. :D

"Archisomatophylakon" makes no sense as a Greek title, since the base word seems to be in plural genetive. I get that you're trying to say 'Leader/Chief of the Bodyguards', but as you can see from your own formulation for other Archi- formations, the base word is in singular (-iatros, -grammateus). The same with -phylax. This is the standard formulation in Koine.

We do have a few papyrological references to archisomatophylakes (the genetive of which would be archisomatophylakôn) in plural, but it is not at all sure that a single individual is being spoken of. Archisomatophylax, on the other hand, is the normative term in a vast majority of papyri.

Yeah I'm going to mod this out. Even with tyranny penalty this is going to be too easy. Keeping legitimacy should be a bit of a challenge (and you guys already implemented very good complex mechanisms), not be rendered pointless by an unimmersive and child-friendly "click magic mana button to immediately sort out all legitimacy problems, cure cancer and world hunger" button.

You are free to do whatever you wish with the game of course. But those 5 tyranny might be a bigger bother than you imagine ;)

Meanwhile foreign countries will have also have a new character interaction available, to spend money and military power on increasing the size of the Pretender army.
What happens if the Pretender keeps the throne and you supported his claim (with Gold and MILs)? Do you get a relation boost, an Alliance, something else?

When a pretender raises an army against you, doesthst army subtract from your national manpower?

Please say it does! Please have it reduce your maximum manpower by that amount until the issue is dealt with. So, if you pay money to make them mercenaries, then your manpower cap stays lowered.
Please do this for me!

Will every king with Egyptian Succession get the name Ptolemy and every queen Cleopatra?