• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 3: A year of victories

Letters are sent, revolts are organised

Dramatis Personae

Hassan, leader of the Assassins
Assad, his son, plotting against him

Assad entered the throne room expecting a, rare, private conversation with his father. To his surprise, there were five others waiting silently.

To his greater surprise all five were those he trusted most, who shared his view that his father was leading them to disaster.

“Father, I bring you greetings”

Hassan carried on reading the document in front of him. After several minutes he signed for one of his secretaries to come forward.

“Take this and deliver it, it is time for us … well that you do not need to know … just deliver it”.

Hassan picked up a second letter and started to read it.

“I understand you have something to say”

“No father, just I am glad to see you so well”

“For one who is aged and senile you mean?”

“No father, you will live for ever”

“Do you take me for a fool?”

Assad was suddenly aware that two people had entered behind him

Hassan finally looked up

“My son, you seem nervous?”

“Father?”

“Here take this”, Hassan reached forward to the table, with its jumble of letters resting beneath an ornate dagger.

“Step forward … this is what you wanted”

Assad stood, transfixed

“Come my son … do you not counsel that we put too much emphasis on statecraft, too much on ownership of castles … too little on influencing the people?”

“well this letter is your answer. Take it”

“Father … you mean me to act as a messenger?”

“unless you wish to defy me, yes … this, and the other letter, will let the Turks know how well loved they really are … take it … and go”

Interesting stuff. Hassan seems to be toying with his son, clearly giving a veiled warning that he knows of his son's treachery but is willing to perhaps overlook it. For now anyway.

Yeah, that's a pretty clear warning. Hassan's not quite coming out and accusing his son of treachery*, but this is probably as close as he'll ever get. Quite the elaborate staging of this meeting, what with Assad's allies there, Hassan's feigned business (I mean 'busy-ness', not 'bizniz'. Sometimes English is tricky), the dagger on top of the letters, sending Assad out like a simple errand boy...

I'm sure Assad realizes his father knows something (although this could easily devolve into one of those "I know that he knows, but I don't know what he knows, or what he knows that I know that he knows..." Etc. until your brain hurts situations), but I wonder what lesson Assad will draw from it. Probably nothing too good for his own well-being (such as silently submitting to his father's will).

*I don't think Hassan will ever bother with something as trivial as actually accusing someone of treachery: if he isn't sure, he's not going to lay down his cards; if he is sure, he'll just have the offender executed right away.

Interesting stuff. Hassan seems to be toying with his son, clearly giving a veiled warning that he knows of his son's treachery but is willing to perhaps overlook it. For now anyway.

that update took me about 4 drafts, because my original goal was for Hassan to meet a suitably spectacular end either at the hands of his 'allies' or all of them being butchered together. But it didn't seem right (in the sense of not making sense in my own mind), so it ended up, I hope, with all the latent, threatened violence, but with no actual resolution.

Yeah, that's a pretty clear warning. Hassan's not quite coming out and accusing his son of treachery*, but this is probably as close as he'll ever get. Quite the elaborate staging of this meeting, what with Assad's allies there, Hassan's feigned business (I mean 'busy-ness', not 'bizniz'. Sometimes English is tricky), the dagger on top of the letters, sending Assad out like a simple errand boy...

I'm sure Assad realizes his father knows something (although this could easily devolve into one of those "I know that he knows, but I don't know what he knows, or what he knows that I know that he knows..." Etc. until your brain hurts situations), but I wonder what lesson Assad will draw from it. Probably nothing too good for his own well-being (such as silently submitting to his father's will).

*I don't think Hassan will ever bother with something as trivial as actually accusing someone of treachery: if he isn't sure, he's not going to lay down his cards; if he is sure, he'll just have the offender executed right away.

No I think we can assume that Hassan is not a believer in either due process or innocent till proven guilty. Equally I don't think he is into redemption as a meaningful concept, so Assad is doomed for this treachery, the only open question is when will Hassan do the deed - with the only meaningful criteria being 'when it best suits him'

Unease and Loneliness

Dramatis Personae:
Omar Khayyam
Arzu, his lover
Ismail, his friend, the Sultan’s Grand Vizier
Ibrahim, originally sent by Hassan to protect Omar, now, perhaps, no longer working for Hassan

Omar wandered aimlessly, distracted by the heat of the summer, by the temporary loss of his closest companions … of his growing unease.

Arzu was busy at court with the preparations for the birth of the Sultan’s first child. Her absence hit him hard, as if one of his poems had been made real.

You know, my Friends, with what a brave Carouse
I made a Second Marriage in my house;
Divorced old barren Reason from my Bed,
And took the Daughter of the Vine to Spouse​

The irony was that, for once, he did not desire wine. Such words belong to youthful flippancy when all had seemed possible.

Ismail was busy with the affairs of state, of reorganising the provinces as more and more of the Sultan’s enemies fell.

So why his unease?

The fractured realm was being healed, some of the remote provinces allowed to become independent. The Sultan’s justice was plain to all to see. The main armies moved north, he knew that in the next campaign season they would seek to end the revolt in Iraq.

Why his unease.

Well peasant revolts were not new, all it took was a particularly brutal landlord, an army that had trampled the crops, an articulate young man. But these revolts all spoke of the 12th Imam [1] who had left his slumbers to lead his believers to victory. This was not mere coincidence, there was a hand behind them. And it was not hard to imagine whose hand.

He shook himself. If he was to be honest, his unease centred on Ibrahim. Recovered from his wounds he had asked leave to depart. Challenged, all he had said was that his journey was to the east, not the north.

Well that may mean he was not going to Alamut, but as all knew, Hassan’s spies could be found anywhere.

Worse, he had said it was a personal errand, one designed to repay a debt incurred by accident.

Whatever Omar had wanted, he never wanted any human being to believe they owed him a debt..

The last man who had claimed to be in debt to Omar was Hassan. With that morbid thought, he shook himself and walked up the stairs to his observatory.

[1] the 12th (hidden) Imam is common theme in Shia Islam. The sect that Hassan belonged to believed that he would re-awaken to lead those who believe to paradise on earth, but first there would be 3 years of chaos and oppression. Of course similar legends rattle around many other nationalist and religious belief systems, especially the idea of a sleeper in a cave who will emerge at a moment of crisis

As ever cracking stuff. I like the poetry and Omar's realisation that such dreams of youth, as mentioned in the poem, have rather been ground down by the realities of age. As ever he is perceptive, his unease entirely justified. However I share his confusion in that I'm not quite certain myself as to what makes me most uneasy thus far in the AAR; the revolts guided by Hassan, and indeed Hassan's very intentions, Ibrahim's uncertain loyalty or perhaps just the growing tension. As engrossing as ever, looking forward to the next update.

loki: I believe you meant to deal with Assad's potenial demise (whilst one can always hope, I always need to remind myself that the fate of a character in your AAR is not an accurate harbinger for the fate of a similarly-named figure in the real world) in your earlier comment, not Hassan - surely that man will not fall to such a sniveling figure as his incompetent, overambitious son?

Interesting update. Hassan is showing more of his hand - or is he? There could always be wheels within wheels, plots within plots...

The revelation that Hassan is indebted to Omar has claimed to be indebted to Omar is deeply disturbing. How could Hassan ever be in debt to Omar? Did Omar do something awful, or did he inadvertedly allow Hassan to gain some unspecified advantage? Either way, this close a connection between Omar and Hassan, whatever it is based on, is rather scary.

As ever cracking stuff. I like the poetry and Omar's realisation that such dreams of youth, as mentioned in the poem, have rather been ground down by the realities of age. As ever he is perceptive, his unease entirely justified. However I share his confusion in that I'm not quite certain myself as to what makes me most uneasy thus far in the AAR; the revolts guided by Hassan, and indeed Hassan's very intentions, Ibrahim's uncertain loyalty or perhaps just the growing tension. As engrossing as ever, looking forward to the next update.

glad you like it, yes, I am trying for an air of unease, on the surface this war is going well, but ... but. Equally all three main protagonists are men in their early-mid 50s, at this time, even without the threat of violence, that leads to issues of mortality hanging heavy on their thoughts and plans.

loki: I believe you meant to deal with Assad's potenial demise (whilst one can always hope, I always need to remind myself that the fate of a character in your AAR is not an accurate harbinger for the fate of a similarly-named figure in the real world) in your earlier comment, not Hassan - surely that man will not fall to such a sniveling figure as his incompetent, overambitious son?

Interesting update. Hassan is showing more of his hand - or is he? There could always be wheels within wheels, plots within plots...

The revelation that Hassan is indebted to Omar has claimed to be indebted to Omar is deeply disturbing. How could Hassan ever be in debt to Omar? Did Omar do something awful, or did he inadvertedly allow Hassan to gain some unspecified advantage? Either way, this close a connection between Omar and Hassan, whatever it is based on, is rather scary.

Aye sorry about the Assad/Hassan guddle. And I too share some of the voodoo doll style of writing, if I arrange for this Assad to meet his make, well ...

I'll come soon back to the linkage Hassan-Omar-Ismail, its a case of trying to work out how best to use it for the plot (I need to play another game year now) and to whose advantage. Hassan and Omar is relatively straightforward, Hassan admires Omar's learning and erudition. But Hassan's admiration is no easier to cope with than Hassan's enmity.

Two voices, one plot

Dramatis Personae:

Ismail, senior counsellor to the Sultan
Ibrahim, One time emissary of Hassan, now working for … ?

Part I

Ismail stared into space, ignoring the correspondence piled up in front of him.

The enemy was beaten, next year would see the Seljuk armies sweep into Mesopotamia, let their fields be burnt, let their homes be looted, let their cities be besieged. Thus would they learn the folly of revolt against the Empire.

And yet …

The Sultan was proving ever harder to control. He had decided the victories were down to his leadership not the council and advice that really guided the state. He seemed to ignore all the remaining threats to his realm.

The latest announcement from the West may, or may not mean anything. The last of these ‘crusades’ had seen the loss of Antioch, who knew if this time anything other than words would emerge from Rome?

Also the Sultan refused to recognise the real threat to his realm. Hassan.

Ismail shuddered, that he had given that snake a chance, had made such a serious error of judgement made him more determined to end the threat, regardless of the consequences.

Well he had heard that one of Hassan’s messengers had been seen in Bukhara and was now on his way back to Alamut. With so many columns moving across the region it would be an act of little effort to ensure the messenger met his end and that it looked like a chance encounter.

If he could be found.

Ismail rose and went to meet his latest emissary.

Part II

Ibrahim looked down the pass from the cold snowy col. He had never intended to come north, indeed he had promised Omar he was travelling east.

Now he was, again, caught in the coils of the plot of another. Effectively blackmailed by Ismail to hunt and kill Hassan’s messenger.

The threat of being denounced as a member of the Assasiyun had been enough. Not for himself, he had no fear of death, but he knew that ruin would fall on Omar too, for having housed and protected one such as him.

He must be weakening, he was certainly a man divided against himself.

He paused, looking at his companions, looking for any signs that another party had crossed this pass in recent days.

Who did he owe loyalty too? He still feared Hassan and not just because he knew his life was in danger if his loss of loyalty was suspected. What if, as Hassan so often claimed, he could not just destroy this life, but condemn his enemies into eternity?

He feared Ismail, in the way that any poor man must fear a powerful prince.

He would like to offer loyalty to Omar. But Omar spurned such gestures, instead returning friendship. Well if he could complete this mission for Ismail, he would undertake one for himself. If Omar did not accept his loyalty, he could not refuse the offer. He would take revenge on one who had laid hands on Omar, who had threatened Omar’s life … that would be the proof of his loyalty.

He shook himself.

One of his companions rode up.

“They passed this way several days ago, if we ride hard we can catch them as they will have to divert to the coast”.

Well, well... So Ismail had a chance to crush/kill/destroy Hassan, but let it slip away? That must surely be enough to give any man sleepless nights. I wonder, though, if perhaps Ismail is getting a bit too obsessed with Hassan? Ironically, with his focus on Hassan, I could easily see some of Hassan's more subtle schemes fly right by Ismail.

It sounds like Ibrahim has been set up by Ismail to kill Assad. That will be an interesting meeting. I think Ibrahim is doomed, regardless of the outcome: if he doesn't succeed in killing Assad, then he obviously dies. But if he does kill Assad, and word gets back to Hassan (as things seem to have an inconvenient habit of doing), then Hassan would no longer consider Ibrahim loyal. And with that... Well, we all know how Hassan deals with disloyalty. And if Ibrahim kills Assad and Hassan does not find out, what then will Ismail do when he no longer has a use for Ibrahim? His Assassin background is still a liability, after all...

I do look forward to the moment Assad and Ibrahim come face to face and recognize each other. Does Assad know about his father's smoke-and-mirrors moment with Ibrahim? And does Ibrahim know (or suspect) that Assad sent the assassin for Omar?

As ever loyalties seem to shift and change near constantly, it near impossible to tell friend from foe. I certainly find it near impossible anyway! Every character motivated by differing things, all of which can be considered justifiable. Great stuff, the only thing I am quite sure of at present is my hope that Ibrahim survives, he comes across as a good guy (although doubtless he has carried out some none too good deeds in his time). He and Omar too.

Well, well... So Ismail had a chance to crush/kill/destroy Hassan, but let it slip away? That must surely be enough to give any man sleepless nights. I wonder, though, if perhaps Ismail is getting a bit too obsessed with Hassan? Ironically, with his focus on Hassan, I could easily see some of Hassan's more subtle schemes fly right by Ismail.

It sounds like Ibrahim has been set up by Ismail to kill Assad. That will be an interesting meeting. I think Ibrahim is doomed, regardless of the outcome: if he doesn't succeed in killing Assad, then he obviously dies. But if he does kill Assad, and word gets back to Hassan (as things seem to have an inconvenient habit of doing), then Hassan would no longer consider Ibrahim loyal. And with that... Well, we all know how Hassan deals with disloyalty. And if Ibrahim kills Assad and Hassan does not find out, what then will Ismail do when he no longer has a use for Ibrahim? His Assassin background is still a liability, after all...

I do look forward to the moment Assad and Ibrahim come face to face and recognize each other. Does Assad know about his father's smoke-and-mirrors moment with Ibrahim? And does Ibrahim know (or suspect) that Assad sent the assassin for Omar?

they do meet in the next update, but one of them is no state to recognise the other.

as to Ismail and Hassan, lets say its personal as much as a struggle over the Empire, ethnicity and religion

As ever loyalties seem to shift and change near constantly, it near impossible to tell friend from foe. I certainly find it near impossible anyway! Every character motivated by differing things, all of which can be considered justifiable. Great stuff, the only thing I am quite sure of at present is my hope that Ibrahim survives, he comes across as a good guy (although doubtless he has carried out some none too good deeds in his time). He and Omar too.

I think everyone is making their own interpretation (even Omar) of what is good for all, and that, for some surprising reason coincides with what is good for them. The range is in the ruthlessness with which different characters are prepared to ensure their vision of 'good for all' comes into reality.

quick warning, the next update has a few corpses, one dispatched in Hassan's traditional style.

A frozen grave

Dramatis Personae:

Ibrahim, possibly working for Hassan and Ismail (or neither) but currently hunting down
Assad, Hassan’s son returning from creating a rebellion in Bukhara

Ibrahim’s men picked their way down the rocky icy trail to the small shepherd’s hut. Even from a distance it was clear there had been violence there, and recently.

As they drew close, they spotted four corpses outside the hut, each hit by at least three arrows. Judging by the frozen blood, each had had their throat cut just to be sure they were dead.

Ibrahim dismounted, as they were hunting six men, worse was probably to be found in the hut.

As he entered, and blinked, it was clear there was only one more corpse. Transfixed to the fireplace by daggers in his arms and legs. Probably killed by the dagger stuck into his heart.

Ibrahim tried to suppress an involuntary thought.

If Hassan had the knives to spare to allow his men to be this wasteful someone must have taken on his old job. From somewhere the Old Man had replenished his stocks [1] of both men and money.

He shuddered, but he needed to know who he had been hunting, who was worthy of this particular display?

He lifted the head of the corpse and instantly recognised Assad.

Letting the head drop back, he realised the rumours were true. There was dissent at Alamut. Glancing at the corpse he revised this thought – the rumours had been true, there had been dissent at Alamut.

Turning he called to his men.

“Our job is done here, we have no quarrel with whoever killed those we hunted, let us return before the snows block the passes”

“Sire …. Should we not bury them?”

Ibrahim glanced back and then up at the bleak snowy slopes of the mountain.

“No, leave them for the wolves … then maybe the wolves in turn will not feast on the innocent this winter”.

“Sire …”

“Yes”

“Are we not hunting six men?”

“I think we can assume the sixth is long gone and that he betrayed those we were sent to kill … let it be”.

Ibrahim mounted and rode back, his men slowly following him.

He had discharged the task set by Ismail. Hassan’s messenger was dead. He felt no need to inform Ismail that Hassan’s messenger had clearly died on Hassan’s orders.

Now, maybe he had the time to discharge some of his debt to Omar.

[1] Ibrahim’s original role for the Assassins was obtaining gold from the Fatimids and using this to buy ornate daggers manufactured in Damascus.

NOOOOOO!

Ibrahim, never assume anything when dealing with Hassan - unless it is that the man is a crazed homicidal maniac on a Messianic power trip. Not worrying about the sixth man seems like a really bad idea. Really, really bad. This will come back to haunt you. Or lots of people.

So Assad is (rather anticlimactically) killed off-screen, but certainly in a brutal fashion. The whole multiple-knives impalement does seem a bit extravagant. Then again, who knows how Hassan's mind works? If he knew Ibrahim was coming, then it certainly would be a pointed reminder that Ibrahim is very much replaceable (as has apparently already happened). If he didn't know that, well, then perhaps Hassan did have some fatherly feelings after all - and therefore exacted an even more brutal than usual revenge.

I have to echo Stuyvesant, Ibrahim is acting unwisely in disregarding this sixth man. Assad's passing, whilst not in the least surprising after Hassen learned of his deceitfulness, was certainly grisly and I didn't expect it quite this soon. Fascinating as ever, the action continues apace, I'm quite unsure now as to what will happen next, but I don't doubt it will prove engrossing.

NOOOOOO!

Ibrahim, never assume anything when dealing with Hassan - unless it is that the man is a crazed homicidal maniac on a Messianic power trip. Not worrying about the sixth man seems like a really bad idea. Really, really bad. This will come back to haunt you. Or lots of people.

So Assad is (rather anticlimactically) killed off-screen, but certainly in a brutal fashion. The whole multiple-knives impalement does seem a bit extravagant. Then again, who knows how Hassan's mind works? If he knew Ibrahim was coming, then it certainly would be a pointed reminder that Ibrahim is very much replaceable (as has apparently already happened). If he didn't know that, well, then perhaps Hassan did have some fatherly feelings after all - and therefore exacted an even more brutal than usual revenge.

well the sixth man delivers a message that has the potential to badly harm Ibrahim, depending on how Hassan decides to use it.

I think we can assume that Hassan is well versed in the semiotics of killing (this damn thesis I am editing is doing my head in), so any act has a meaning other than merely ending the life of the victim. It has echoes in the Anarchist belief in the 'propaganda of the deed' from the 1880s onwards - assassination wasn't the goal, delivering a clear message through how the assassination was carried out was far more important

I have to echo Stuyvesant, Ibrahim is acting unwisely in disregarding this sixth man. Assad's passing, whilst not in the least surprising after Hassen learned of his deceitfulness, was certainly grisly and I didn't expect it quite this soon. Fascinating as ever, the action continues apace, I'm quite unsure now as to what will happen next, but I don't doubt it will prove engrossing.

Couldn't see any use for Assad to hang around. In Ibrahim and Arzu I seem to have added two more characters than I started with so time to cull off a few secondary actors.

Sorry about the delay to the next post. I want it turn around a single death and to link that back to the debt that Ibrahim feels he owes Omar. The challenge was working out who's voice to use to tell the tale.

This completes the 1100 updates and I've played most of 1101 so we'll be shifting into new material with the update after this one

Revenge

Dramatis Personae

Ali, the ‘sixth man’ who had betrayed Assad
Ibrahim, once an Assassin, now?
The Emir of Sistan, who had once lain hands on Omar and has now paid with his life.

Hassan settled back in his chair

“Are you sure it was him?”

“Yes”

Ali involuntarily glanced at the floor [1]

“his face is not something I will ever forget … even if it seems he was not taken by the demons”

Ali looked up, suspiciously, at Hassan

“why”

“it is not your place to question me”

Ali blanched

“forgive me sire, I was thinking aloud … why was Ibrahim there?”

Hassan looked at him carefully

“Did you follow them?”

“Of course, your orders are my life”

“Good … and?”

“they rode back to a camp set up by the Sultan’s troops on the other side of the mountains”

“you were gone three weeks … there must be more”

“Yes, Ibrahim went one night into a tent where a noble prisoner was held. And killed him with his bare hands. Then Ibrahim left in the morning to return to Esfahan” [2]

Hassan stared towards the door.

“You have done well, your reward will come in heaven”

As Ali left the room, Hassan signalled to one of his secretaries

“Has he spoken to anyone since his return?”

“No, he was brought straight to see you”

“Well make sure he is fed and given a private room … and that he does not wake up tomorrow”

Hassan settled back, dismissing the other scribes and the few guards. He had much to think of. Was Ibrahim still loyal? Why had he killed an inconsequential leader? How might this be of use to Hassan?

He smiled, in such debates lay the real pleasure of being alive.

[1] – which takes us back to the opening scene
[2] - relates to the incident in Sistan where Omar was saved from the local ruler’s troops by Ibrahim. This was the only Persian province to join the revolt.

Hassan settled back, dismissing the other scribes and the few guards. He had much to think of. Was Ibrahim still loyal? Why had he killed an inconsequential leader? How might this be of use to Hassan?

He smiled, in such debates lay the real pleasure of being alive.

Amazing! Here is an actual, down-to-earth activity that Hassan actually enjoys. Granted, it is to find the maximum leverage for Hassan and the answer will probably involve one or more grisly deaths, but still - Hassan takes pleasure in something, and it is something of this earth, not related to bringing about the return of the Hidden Imam.

Hassan said:
“You have done well, your reward will come in heaven”
If I were Ali, I'd nod politely, calmly leave the room and then start running like hell at the mention of those words. Maybe wait to saunter out of the castle first, but then a desperate, headlong flight, as far away from that mountain fortress as is humanly possible. Oh well, in the end it won't make a difference for Ali regardless.

Amazing! Here is an actual, down-to-earth activity that Hassan actually enjoys. Granted, it is to find the maximum leverage for Hassan and the answer will probably involve one or more grisly deaths, but still - Hassan takes pleasure in something, and it is something of this earth, not related to bringing about the return of the Hidden Imam.

If I were Ali, I'd nod politely, calmly leave the room and then start running like hell at the mention of those words. Maybe wait to saunter out of the castle first, but then a desperate, headlong flight, as far away from that mountain fortress as is humanly possible. Oh well, in the end it won't make a difference for Ali regardless.

well we'll see the results of his analysis in the next post, think it sets up a nice theme for the next set of posts dealing with 1101 - if I can ever find the time to play it. For some reason having to constantly slap a bunch of Whites about along the Volga seems to take up a lot of my time :cool:

I think we can assume that Ali failed to listen to your sage advice, perchance Hassan himself may bring him his morning cup of hot chocalate

A new plot

Dramatis Personae:

Hassan, Leader of the Assassins
Ibrahim, who may, or may not still work for him
Omar Khayyam, poet, philosopher, astrologer, drunkard

Hassan sat in the dark cold hall. The fire had long burnt out, the last candle guttered.

He wrapped the thin cloak over his shoulders.

Sat back and smiled.

He had worked out his error, and the solution.

After using Ibrahim to teach his followers a lesson he should have killed him then and there. Alive he was a threat, unintentionally so but a threat. All who came into contact with him, in turn lost trust in Hassan.

So Ibrahim had to die. A pity, he had been not just loyal, but intelligent. Men with this combination Hassan lacked. Loyalty, a willingness to kill, a willingness to die, he had in abundance.

Equally if Ibrahim was to die, then his killer in turn would need to be silenced. Hassan suspected that Assad’s idiotic attempt to kill Omar had failed due to this problem. Whoever he had sent had recognised Ibrahim, and in that had been bested in a fight.

Well the solution was easy. The next one sent must expect to meet Ibrahim. Only one person in his world met that criteria.

Well it was maybe time to leave Alamut. It would be good to visit old colleagues in Esfahan. Perhaps he could repay some other debts at the same time.

Even as he reached his conclusion, the last candle spluttered and went out.

Last edited: