• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 2: War

A moment of reflection

Dramatis Personae

Ibrahim – Hassan’s spy in Omar’s household .... maybe.
Arzu – Omar’s lover ... a lady who can use a knife when she needs to

omar1x.jpg

Ibrahim awoke, stretched … and almost screamed in pain.

His upper body and arms were criss-crossed with knife wounds, some deep, some superficial, all painfully healing. Omar had ensured he received medical assistance from Ismail’s own physician. Outwardly at least, Omar and Arzu had accepted his explanation of a fight with a simple thief.

But there was another problem. His mind was in as much pain as his body.

Who had sent Ali? Why had Ali been sent?

It seemed to be clear he was sent to kill at least one member of Omar’s household but why had Hassan not ordered himself, Ibrahim, to do it?

Ali had not known he was there. His surprise was genuine and had cost him his life. Ibrahim shuddered at the final memory of Arzu walking forward, grabbing the knife and plunging it even deeper into Ali’s neck.

So either Hassan had sent Ali thinking Ibrahim was dead or Hassan had not sent Ali. Strife in Alamut seemed unlikely but was also the most likely explanation.

However, that led Ibrahim to the next problem. If, … no when, Hassan contacted him, did he still serve Alamut? Or was he what Omar and Arzu treated him as, a friend met on the road, someone who had saved Omar’s life [1], a valued and welcome houseguest.

He groaned again, this time not from the pain of his wounds. He knew the answer but could not bring himself to acknowledge it even to himself.

As he settled back he was disturbed by the rustle of silk as the drapes around his bed were drawn back.

“my lady”

“Ibrahim, I think we need to talk”

Ibrahim lay back, trying to gather his tangled thoughts. His attempt to calm himself was not helped by seeing the long knife that Arzu carried.

[1] when he fled Sistan

Is Arzu also an Assassin spy sent by Hassan?!? Man, that Hassan is just weaving webs like a funnel orb spider on crack! :p

Nah, I don't expect that to be the case. There has to be a limit to the amount of intriguing Hassan can afford to lavish on one person. Plus, there seems to be a dearth of females at Alamut, so I doubt you'd wrench the story around so much as to make Arzu a sleeper cell Assassin working at Hassan's behalf.

But ruling out the ridiculous does raise the question: who is Arzu? How did she get that ruthless streak? Or the knife, for that matter. And what are her goals? So far, she's been something of an ornament - I don't mean that in a disparaging way, but my brain is struggling to come up with a better description right now - something that is important to Omar, that helps define Omar's character, but not someone who has any particular meaning to the story: she might have been a prized family heirloom, or Omar's favorite astrology book, and she would've served the same purpose. Not anymore.

So I'll ask it again: Who is Arzu?

I'm just as intrigued as Stuyvesant regarding Arzu, I have to wonder what she plans. Ibrahim's suspicion regarding near everyone is understandable, I can't help but feel some sympathy for him. As ever a very tense, murky and enjoyable update.

Is Arzu also an Assassin spy sent by Hassan?!? Man, that Hassan is just weaving webs like a funnel orb spider on crack! :p

Nah, I don't expect that to be the case. There has to be a limit to the amount of intriguing Hassan can afford to lavish on one person. Plus, there seems to be a dearth of females at Alamut, so I doubt you'd wrench the story around so much as to make Arzu a sleeper cell Assassin working at Hassan's behalf.

But ruling out the ridiculous does raise the question: who is Arzu? How did she get that ruthless streak? Or the knife, for that matter. And what are her goals? So far, she's been something of an ornament - I don't mean that in a disparaging way, but my brain is struggling to come up with a better description right now - something that is important to Omar, that helps define Omar's character, but not someone who has any particular meaning to the story: she might have been a prized family heirloom, or Omar's favorite astrology book, and she would've served the same purpose. Not anymore.

So I'll ask it again: Who is Arzu?

I think I became aware that she was too passive for my tastes, she after all has captured the heart and mind of one of the most intelligent men of his age. So regard it as a statement of annoyance at being threatened by all the intrigue swirling around. So no, she has no connection to Hassan, but yes she has her own version of what is the most desired course of action, which, as in the next update will lead her to some sort of alliance with Ismael.

The knife was the one that Ibrahim stuck into Ali, she finished off Ali (annoyance, a desire not to be passive?) and then kept it, she is now using it to show Ibrahim that she knows it is not just an ordinary blade and that it identifies him.

I'm just as intrigued as Stuyvesant regarding Arzu, I have to wonder what she plans. Ibrahim's suspicion regarding near everyone is understandable, I can't help but feel some sympathy for him. As ever a very tense, murky and enjoyable update.

Yes, writing those two updates made me realise I rather like Ibrahim. Unlike most of the characters he seems to have real doubts and to be in the process of re-arranging his mental furniture. But as we will see at some stage in the future, his desire to prove his worth to Omar may just take him too far again. And yes, unusually for me, I have a page of notes sketching this out for at least 5-7 updates as I have now played out all of 1100.

edit ... and, the latest brilliant graphic by a forum member:

Last edited:
Part 3: A year of victories

Dramatis Personae

Ismail, chief minister of the Sultan
Omar, poet, astronomer, philosopher
Arzu, Omar’s lover
Saim, Court Qadi
Ibrahim, an assassin who is having doubts, and about whom there are doubts

“Omar, for once, I do not want a lecture from your superior morality … I know you disapprove … but I take the view that the people of this Empire will live better if we end this civil war. I do not have your detachment”.

Both men, paused for breath, aware that maybe one more word would fatally wound their frayed friendship.

“Omar listen … what do you care about one such as Hezarhesp. He is dead, it was done with speed and now his armies are removed from the field. But that is not my real concern”.

Omar retaliated. “A year ago it was you who wanted me to come into the court. Now you try to stop me”.

“Omar, please listen, it is a trap. Saim, is no friend of yours. He cannot accuse you of heresy, so he wishes to blacken your name with the Sultan”.

“by offering me a formal role and his protection?”

“yes … look I do trust you. Believe me, the Sultan has just spent that money. He has called some of his distant cousins to arms, that force is expensive but will turn the war in our favour. You take this post, and he is bankrupt in a few months”.

Omar, frowned. “maybe I should take more interest in the doings of the court as Arzu tries to tell me”.

“Yes she is wiser than you give her credit. And that brings me to something closer to your home.

Do you trust Ibrahim”?

“Yes he saved my life, he killed the thief the other night”.

“You know, as I do, that was no thief, that was an emissary from Alamut.

And you know, as I do, your houseguest just happens to carry exactly the same knife as the thief. And Arzu swears the ‘thief’ recognised him … before, unfortunately, the thief lost the power of speech”.

“What do you recommend?”

“I don’t know my friend. Maybe the best is to take Ibrahim to the Imperial torturers. But then, maybe we leave him be, let us see if Hassan reveals whatever plot he is weaving in Esfahan”?

“Leave him, I owe him the chance to work out his own redemption”

Ismail looked at Omar

“And that, is why I still value your council.”

Very nicely done working in the fairly common philosopher event to the update itself, the machinations continue against Omar. I'm glad that Ibrahim is being spared, even if just for now. I get the feeling if he tried anything to harm Omar anyway, Arzu would soon deal with him!

I like the last line - it suggests that Ismail is willing to mend their friendship, and that he willing to listen to Omar, even if the latter disagrees with him. I hope Omar will reciprocate.

The "I owe him the chance to work out his own redemption" line was nicely written, too.

I've had a lot of catching up to do here (man you're prolific!). I'm so glad I can read about this world safely from my mundane life securely located a thousand years in the future. If it's not picking through dead corpses on the battlefield (either by man or animal), it's serving severed fingers or slicing throats in the dark. No wonder Omar is so neurotic. There may be some touch of PTSD going on with him...or is it me? I learned awhile back to not read this AAR before bedtime...and after reading the last 4 or 5 chapters, I have to say I'm glad I stuck to my rule.

This is all just so excellent. You're making a highly entertaining and unique AAR here loki.

Very nicely done working in the fairly common philosopher event to the update itself, the machinations continue against Omar. I'm glad that Ibrahim is being spared, even if just for now. I get the feeling if he tried anything to harm Omar anyway, Arzu would soon deal with him!

you'll be utterly delighted to know there is a 'dead general' event coming up. No way was I going to let that one rest in the screenshot discard file.

yep, she is becoming one tough cookie, good as there are far too few strong female characters in most AARs

I like the last line - it suggests that Ismail is willing to mend their friendship, and that he willing to listen to Omar, even if the latter disagrees with him. I hope Omar will reciprocate.

The "I owe him the chance to work out his own redemption" line was nicely written, too.

aye that last line came to me after I'd put the post up, it seemed to act as a neat end to their discussion about Ibrahim's fate. Omar, as in the next post, is caught in that dilemna of sticking to what he believes is right or lieing down with the lesser evil to thrawt a greater one.

I've had a lot of catching up to do here (man you're prolific!). I'm so glad I can read about this world safely from my mundane life securely located a thousand years in the future. If it's not picking through dead corpses on the battlefield (either by man or animal), it's serving severed fingers or slicing throats in the dark. No wonder Omar is so neurotic. There may be some touch of PTSD going on with him...or is it me? I learned awhile back to not read this AAR before bedtime...and after reading the last 4 or 5 chapters, I have to say I'm glad I stuck to my rule.

This is all just so excellent. You're making a highly entertaining and unique AAR here loki.

next post is not so grim (well the implications for the captured Wali Qirin are, but not for some time).

I think the way I read Omar is he is a man out of place. This is the middle of a civil war in part on ethnic lines (Turk & Persian against Arab), with the Shia-Sunni schism running beneath it (hence Hassan). He wants a quiet life where he studies, writes, loves and drinks, and that really is not on offer. And Ismail is torn between offering him the protection that would allow him to do those things and frustration at Omar's lack of support and understanding for the measures he believes are essential if the realm is to be brought to peace as quickly as possible.

An interlude and small moment of respite

Dramatis Personae
Omar Khayyam, poet, astronomer, philosopher
Arzu, his lover, member of the Sultan’s court

Omar settled back. Ishmail, had asked him to cast a special horoscope to celebrate the Sultan’s latest victory.

A victory that would no doubt lead to the usual slaughter and cruelty.

But it wasn’t just that the horoscope would celebrate another death that made him reluctant to move from comfort to the cold attic where he would observe the stars.

As so often these days, he was wracked by indecision and some guilt. Did he have any right to pretend to stay aloof? Was it better to support a lesser evil when a greater evil walked the earth?

He gazed at the lines he had written:

A Hair perhaps divides the False and True;
Yes; and a single Alif were the clue-
Could you but find it-to the Treasure-house,
And peradventure to the master too​

And heard the soft rustle of silks behind him. Hands closed first over his eyes and then down to his neck.

“My lord, can I tempt you to the pleasures of this earth, or must you go to the stars?”

Omar laid his head back

“help me choose, for I find I lack the ability to discern even my most profound desires”

And turning, kissed Arzu.

Lots of introspection from Omar - and then an escape, rather than a resolution. Oh well, I guess he deserves a break from the soul-searching. :)

Omar and Ibrahim have a lot in common - as do Hassan and Ismail. Now, I wonder where Arzu falls on this spectrum, whether she is more like Omar and Ibrahim, searching for an answer, or if she is like Hassan and Ismail, who know their answer and just need to make the correct moves to effect their desired outcome.

you'll be utterly delighted to know there is a 'dead general' event coming up. No way was I going to let that one rest in the screenshot discard file.

It's not a loki CK AAR without an injured general or two!

Another update which leads me to re-appraise the characters that little bit more. It seems as though near everyone in this AAR has difficult choices to make, I can't help but hope most of them have an Arzu to turn to as well.

Lots of introspection from Omar - and then an escape, rather than a resolution. Oh well, I guess he deserves a break from the soul-searching. :)

Omar and Ibrahim have a lot in common - as do Hassan and Ismail. Now, I wonder where Arzu falls on this spectrum, whether she is more like Omar and Ibrahim, searching for an answer, or if she is like Hassan and Ismail, who know their answer and just need to make the correct moves to effect their desired outcome.

I think we can assume that Arzu knows her own mind, but that her goals are somewhat less sweeping than those of Ismail and Hassan, perhaps best seen as she wants the same as Omar but is more prepared to get her hands dirty in trying to achieve it

It's not a loki CK AAR without an injured general or two!

Another update which leads me to re-appraise the characters that little bit more. It seems as though near everyone in this AAR has difficult choices to make, I can't help but hope most of them have an Arzu to turn to as well.

One of the inspirations behind this was reading a biography of Maxim Gorki. One thing that comes out is his ambivalence during the Russian Civil War. He despaired of the measures that the Bolsheviks took to defend the revolution, accepted that if they lost the outcome would be far worse than their victory and tried to stay aloof as far as he could. So translating that backwards, with the exception of Hassan almost no one is facing the circumstances of their choice.

The Sultan basks in glory

Dramatis Personae

Sultan Barkiarok I
Mohammed, Prince of Persia and the Sultan’s half brother

On the field below his tent his army completed the bloody work of victory.

The enemy force had been brought to battle near Qoms, heavily outnumbered its flanks had been turned in the opening phase of the battle. Since then, the battle had been more of a massacre as the enemy’s forces were hemmed in and subjected to charge after charge.

“Well brother, now no one can doubt my right to wear the crown of Alp Arsalan. I triumph on the field of battle, even as I secure my dynasty”

“Thus does the potency of my lance overcome all threats”.

The Sultan sat back, looking pleased with himself. He gathered his robes around him as he selected a tasty pastry from the tray placed in front of him.

“But, Mohammed, still those fools who seek to control and ‘advise’ me give me no credit.

With this victory and our completion of the siege of Tabaristan this war is all but ended in Persia. All we need to do is to reconquer the lands of the Arabs.

Then I sweep west to complete the work of my grandfather”.

Mohammed looked up.

“Yes, together we will restore the glories of our grandfather, let us dispense with these petty officials … though perhaps for the moment they retain some use?”

The two lay back on their divans, the distant clash of battle ringing in their ears.

The Sultan sat back, looking pleased with himself.

As well he should, a most excellent bit of innuendo.

All seems rather jolly between the brothers, but for that edge lurking below the surface. That and the clear knowledge that all will surely not go as swimmingly as they foresee!

All seems rather jolly between the brothers, but for that edge lurking below the surface. That and the clear knowledge that all will surely not go as swimmingly as they foresee!

I suspect that neither is bright enough for much foresight to be honest, if I was playing this a convention game of CK then I'd be seeing if I could arrange for an early demise so that I could improve the imperial gene pool a wee bit.

Hassan reflects

Hassan sat in his chamber. Shadows flickered as the light from the two candles on his table failed. He did not need light. He knew what lay before him.

29 boxes of the finest Lebanese cedar, each containing a curved dagger forged with the finest steel. Earlier there had been 30 boxes, soon there would be less.

At some stage he might have to ask the Fatimids for more support, but for the moment, he believed the Assasiyun could fund themselves.

In the wider world there was tumult, the Turks were exultant, convinced that victory was now in their grasp. Fools, they struggled with the wrong foe while their real enemy moved in the shadows.

Well soon, they would start to fear their closest advisors. Then they would find their subjects in rebellion. For the moment, all he could arrange was a short interruption to their feeling of triumph

Well it was time to send another unbeliever to commune with the devils, and what better chance than in the confusion of defeat. Although this time the killer was ordered to ensure his own death, yes kill in the confusion of retreat, but this time, kill so that at least some would be able to read the message.

So why, was he uneasy?

Hassan was not given to doubt. He appreciated the existence of risk, tried to plan as well as he could but the story of the attempted killing of Omar worried him. Clearly Ibrahim had done as ordered, but he had sent no word back to Alamut.

Somewhere, in the corner of his mind, a small element of doubt remained.

In the meantime, it was time to address the problem of his son’s idiotic plotting.

Thus Hassan's plotting continues. I'm not entirely surprised he is suffering some doubts regarding Ibrahim, I think even Ibrahim is unsure of his own intentions. As ever quite the tantalising end to an update, Hassan's son will likely soon regret his recent actions.

That 'Lance' comment would've been perfectly at home in Peter Ebbesen's "Mount" and "Warblade" AAR, My Inevitable Greatness (which was, nearly inevitably, sadly cut short - the story, I hasten to add, not the lance). :)

The Sultan and his brother are not the brightest lightbulbs and their self-congratulatory attitude will soon come back to haunt them, whether at Hassan's bidding or simply because all their foes are, by definition, more capable than these two.

Not quite sure from the last update whether Hassan has connected the dots and put the suspicious attack on Omar and his son's plotting together yet...

Thus Hassan's plotting continues. I'm not entirely surprised he is suffering some doubts regarding Ibrahim, I think even Ibrahim is unsure of his own intentions. As ever quite the tantalising end to an update, Hassan's son will likely soon regret his recent actions.

Hassan's son is in for a bit of a shock in the next update

That 'Lance' comment would've been perfectly at home in Peter Ebbesen's "Mount" and "Warblade" AAR, My Inevitable Greatness (which was, nearly inevitably, sadly cut short - the story, I hasten to add, not the lance). :)

The Sultan and his brother are not the brightest lightbulbs and their self-congratulatory attitude will soon come back to haunt them, whether at Hassan's bidding or simply because all their foes are, by definition, more capable than these two.

Not quite sure from the last update whether Hassan has connected the dots and put the suspicious attack on Omar and his son's plotting together yet...

Yes, that was one of Peter's finest AARs, I only found it after it had reached a coma stage.

I think the two brothers are capable of damaging their own interests without any external help, for some key stats if you add them together its still less than 10 (so the gene pool has become very shallow), but they are more than ready to indulge in a spot of self-belief

Hassan knows that Assad is not completely loyal, but maybe doesn't know if that goes beyond mere grumbling with a few cronies ... perhaps best to let the plot mature so as to find out who else is involved? Or, as in the next, to humiliate Assad and see who takes the hint?