• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
LOL, according to what you said, stick to windows then. If you like playing those new games and you are not doing computer science or engineering, don't be bothered.

However, I use Linux exclusively on my laptop. I don't see the point using Windows when I can get better programming environments and much better desktop under Linux. Moreover, all our uni projects are assessed on Unix, so why would I do them on Windows and spend time making them compatible with Unix? Plus, Windows can't run bash scripts!

If you are not like me, don't be bothered switching to Linux, unless you've got a lot of time to burn. Effort you spend on making games work on Linux won't be worth it. You won't gain anything.

yeah, you dont switch to linux if your primary use is going to be to play games, its not worth the hassle. another reason not to switch is if you require good graphics programs like photoshop. For everything else I think linux offers a better alternative than windows, especially for programming as long as you dont want to use directx. imho of course.

Sorry about the slight off-topic here but has anyone successfully run HOI3 on a macbook pro using Wine or any of its derivatives (crossover pro, crossover games)? I am getting an error at runtime that says the game requires Pixel Shader 2.0.

Thanks in advance for your help!

This has nothing to do with WINE. It means your graphics card it too old and does not have the technology required to run the game. Nothing you do with software is going to help, sorry.

At my computer the game is really really slow with wine, with Vista I had a good speed.

Are there any tricks, to increase the gamespeed?

Make sure you have the latest driver for you graphics card, it can make a big difference in wine. It will probably always be a bit slower than windows though.